Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
The main thing is that martials are already heavily discouraged from multiclassing. The last unique core feature a fighter gets is at level 9. Everything after that is things it's already gotten before, while other classes are getting more powerful features.

So you've got this natural incentive to multiclass because the back end of your class is terrible, so they added that rule to try and keep you hemmed in.

Does it break the game? No. Read the description of the polymorph spell. Game breaks at level 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What Quadratic_Wizard said. If you multiclass as Wizard, you pay the price of missing out on your end-game spell slots. If you multiclass as a Fighter, you can't lose "part of an attack", and moreso if the class you're switching also has multi-attacks, so they had to add that rule.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
Are there even any appealing hypothetical builds that would make use of combining the Extra Attack features of two classes?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It was decided that "multiple attacks" are the Fighter's Thing. But then they gave it to other classes anyways because lmfao 5e, so then they tried to think of why you'd stay fighter instead of multiclassing out, and decided on "well every other class misses out on something when they MC, so fighters miss out on those extra attacks! Now just like every other class they don't want to MC without losing something!

It's the 5e team not actually understanding what carrots or sticks are or how to operate them anywhere near a non-wizard, and not wanting to even bother thinking up good class abilities for fighters. So it's the 5e team also being laughably inept and lazy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you're not following that multiclassing rule:

2 attacks at level 5 as Fighter 5
3 attacks at level 10 as Fighter 5/Barbarian 5
4 attacks as level 15 as Fighter 5/Barbarian 5/Ranger 5
5 attacks as level 20 as Fighter 5/Barbarian 5/Ranger 5/Paladin 5

Or however other order you want to take the other classes, and with the normal caveats of how unlikely it is to go the distance to level 20 anyway

Compared to doing it straight:

2 attacks at level 5 as Fighter 5
3 attacks at level 11 as Fighter 11
4 attacks at level 20 as Fighter 20

So if you actually don't go to the distance and only make it to level 15, you're getting as many attacks as a level 20 Fighter, and you still have Action Surge anyway. Probably Fighter / Paladin / Ranger / Barbarian in that order would give you as much interesting stuff as possible on the way there. And maybe a Monk instead of a Barbarian.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

And then of course you have the perennial shitbirds who keep claiming that only a bad GM would run 5e.

Isn't this exactly the same claim as "this game is good because a good GM can fix it"?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

AlphaDog posted:

Isn't this exactly the same claim as "this game is good because a good GM can fix it"?
Not quite.

Going up to a group in the middle of having fun and saying: "your game is bad by definition" is the kind of spergy BS that keeps people from being invited to play.

Telling a group: "This game is only this good because our GM is great" is actually pretty different.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FRINGE posted:

Telling a group: "This game is only this good because our GM is great" is actually pretty different.
"This game is only this good because our GM is great" is different from "This game doesn't need to be good because a good GM can make it good", which is what AlphaDog was referring to and what a number of 5E fans/designers have said unironically.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

No

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

"This game doesn't need to be good because a good GM can make it good", which is what AlphaDog was referring to and what a number of 5E fans/designers have said unironically.

This is exactly what I meant.

"A good GM will fix it" means that a bad GM won't fix it and will run it as-written.

Let me rephrase then. I'm 100% OK with the statement "Only a bad GM would run 5e" as a response to "It's ok because a good GM will fix 5e".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 17, 2015

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Mendrian posted:

Also one of the things that's hard about 5e discussion is that there really isn't that much to discuss (yet). There aren't any whacky builds that haven't already been discovered and there isn't a lot of optional material to mix and match. Most of the campaign material has been gone over. Really what this thread needs is cool stuff that is actually happening in people's games since that and endlessly complaining about the mechanics is all we have left.

I guess houserules. I've seen tons of good houserules from this thread.

Yeah, I guess this is fair. It's not that old and there isn't that much material out there to discuss yet. I hadn't really thought about it that way. Thanks.

I do really appreciate the houserules that people post. Keep it coming!

edit: I wasn't trying to be critical of the thread in general, just looking for broader horizons.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 17, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Let me rephrase then. I'm 100% OK with the statement "Only a bad GM would run 5e" as a response to "It's ok because a good GM will fix 5e".

So you're still saying that anyone who runs 5e is by definition a bad GM? Cause that's what you appear to be saying. If so, you are exactly the shitbird I was talking about.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Let me rephrase then. I'm 100% OK with the statement "Only a bad GM would run 5e"
I agree with your general sentiment about the designers, but I still think that that is targeting people who may be running perfectly fun games for their groups (therefore "good GMs") despite 5e.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

If they want structure, crunch, and grids, consider running 4E. 5E has all these things, but does not use them as well as 4E.

e: a reduction in the need for grids, structure, and crunch was one of the professed goals of 5E.

What exactly does 4E do that's so much better? I remember everyone making GBS threads on 4e when it came out, and 3.5e was the big thing.

Kibner posted:

"Critical Role" is one of the shows created by the "Geek and Sundry" channel on Twitch. This particular show is a once a week thing (I think) and is a live cast of a 5e campaign. One GM and six players, IIRC.

It's not scripted or anything but all involved are voice actors, so the character voices are pretty well done.

Oh wow that sounds rad, and it would be nice to see the game in action.

Darwinism posted:

This thread definitely gets echo-chambery about 5E, but there are actual good, solid reasons to dislike the game. It's bad at the stated design goals, caster supremacy is back, and big parts of it are straight up lifted from prior editions with maybe a couple words changed here and there. And that's not even all of it's problems.

But at the same time, yeah, don't try to convince your group to play another game just by hating on 5E. If you absolutely have to do it, just talk to them like human beings and try to get across that you'd really like them to give 4E a go.

I would like a tear down of what's so bad about 5e. I'll bring up with "Hey I did some research, and here's what I think, what's your opinion?" But I really want to hear real criticism, because I remember 3.5e when 3e was "better," 4e when 3.5e was "better," and now I'm hearing it again, where 4e is now "better."

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I really want to know what's being done wrong! I want to have fun at my table, and if there are legitimate issues, I know my players will table it.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

What Quadratic_Wizard said. If you multiclass as Wizard, you pay the price of missing out on your end-game spell slots. If you multiclass as a Fighter, you can't lose "part of an attack", and moreso if the class you're switching also has multi-attacks, so they had to add that rule.

This (and other good posts) cover about what i figured.

I was considering, though, that cantrips just level and add free hits on their use, while attacks have to roll each extra one. I feel like turning attacks into cantrip style actions might not be a terrible idea. Crits, such as they are, and Savage Attacker aside, how good or bad an idea is this?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Turtlicious posted:

What exactly does 4E do that's so much better?
It's a well balanced, well designed system, with the core design conceit being "Everyone should be able to contribute". A Fighter gets the same number of nice toys as the Wizard, etc etc. It's a dream to GM, with a monster difficulty system that actually means something as opposed to the crapshoot that is CR. You can also bullshit up a level appropriate monster in a few minutes. Basically, 4E was actually designed. Fighting things is fun. The non-combat aspects are exactly as half-assed as the previous iterations of the game.

This of course means it's a videogame for WoW babies.

Turtlicious posted:

I remember everyone making GBS threads on 4e when it came out, and 3.5e was the big thing.
"Everyone" shat on 3E when it came out, and "Everyone" shat on AD&D when it came out. The only real differences are that in 3E and AD&D's cases the only place to poo poo on them was via angry letters to the editor in niche magazines, and nobody had been stupid enough to release OD&D or AD&D with a licence that allowed a competing company to go "Yes it IS poo poo! Keep playing the old game! By which we mean buy a vaguely houseruled version from us."

I mean it has its issues, but exactly 0 of these issues were among the ones complained about, or were all holdovers from 3E (most of the book is about combat! Social stuff is just rolling dice!)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 17, 2015

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
If you just want to go raid some dungeons and kill goblins, 5e is actually pretty good.

There are some real problems with the math though. Look at the monster creation rules and CRs, and then use the table that gradenko posted earlier in the thread instead.

The problem is that D&D 5e is supposed to be "Theater of the Mind" when it really doesn't do a good job of that. 4e said gently caress it, this is a miniature tactical combat game, so at least it's honest.

There are some real issues with martial classes versus spellcasters. Get ready for spellcaster supremacy. Bards used to be one of the weakest classes in previous editions. Now they are a full caster, and guess what, they are one of the best classes in terms of fun and power.

It isn't terrible at what it does. I think what people get up in arms about is that it could be much better, and should be, since many of the issues in 5e were solved in previous editions.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Moinkmaster posted:

This (and other good posts) cover about what i figured.

I was considering, though, that cantrips just level and add free hits on their use, while attacks have to roll each extra one. I feel like turning attacks into cantrip style actions might not be a terrible idea. Crits, such as they are, and Savage Attacker aside, how good or bad an idea is this?

Eldritch Blast makes an attack roll for each shot, and they can hit different targets. Then again it can also be boosted to 600 feet and do knockback per hit so who knows.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Turtlicious posted:

I'm the GM, my group wants to switch from Dungeon World to DnD, they want something more structured and crunchy, with defined turns, grids, and all that. That means I have to learn DnD 5e, (They saw it on "Critical Roll" w/e that is and are in love.) I've never run a pre-genned adventure before, and normally just "wing it" what's some good resources for a guy like me?

I saw the Donjon thing and read the op, which I will be using a ton, and am leafing through the DM's manual right now. I guess I also have to learn how to create characters, unless there's a character creator already out. Not to mention a repository of battlemaps. (Preferably with hexgrids.)

Like someone said, you can go watch a bunch of episodes that they've streamed on geek and sundry, and the first set are up on the youtube channel as well. Things to remember are they're all like voice actors and have been playing as a group for a long time, so they have good chemistry and characterization. The main reason they're actually playing 5th ed (actually quite a few houserules and poo poo like that going on) is for flow of combat with a large group while people are watching. They were playing pathfinder before that.

They're just around the levels where you start to really see caster supremacy (9th/10th or so). If you watch some episodes, you can really see that the casters (druid, bard, sorc, cleric) kind of lay down solutions to all sorts of things, the rogue and ranger tend to do stealth stuff, and the barbarian mostly yells and distracts enemies. The rogue has a class option for big alpha strike damage (with circumstances), the ranger consistently hits but not for impressive amounts similar to the barbarian. There's another guy that plays a converted gunslinger, whom I literally forgot about while typing this up. He does some consistent damage in fights but mostly creates/modifies/etc to things out of fighting. The DM does a pretty good job of giving situations where the non-casters can have a big impact, but also the other players leave that space open, even though they realistically could have spells and crap to cover it.

Basically, they're a fun group to watch and have strong characters, and have a good time watching other people in the group do stuff as well as doing stuff themselves. The advantage mechanic works well with how they play it, and a lot of the other poo poo I think gets played a bit loose or house-ruled. I'd really say to watch multiple episodes, because I'm pretty sure just going through the books and playing RAW is going to give a different game than what they want.

If you have a solid group you're going to be able to have fun with most any system. D&D problems tend to be non-casters have limited combat options, and are able to solve (in general) 1 out of combat situation. Casters have a plethora of combat options, and tend to have a spell that can solve almost any out of combat situation. 4E uses a system called AEDU (at-will, encounter, daily, utility) for abilities for classes which gives a more uniform amount of "stuff" any given class can do and how frequently. The math side is a lot tighter, in regards to stuff like how fast defenses/attack go up, how much damage abilities do, monster stats, and the like. It has its own problems, which I'm sure other people can give in better detail.

Coming from Dungeon World be prepared to ignore basically everything non-combat from the books, and in general be on the lookout after low levels for the spellcasters getting all the fun. It doesn't happen automatically, but if you took Wizard's ritual from dungeon world and took away the part where you get to set conditions, that is the sort of playbook available to full spellcasters in general. Chances are your players won't always do this, and some people legit don't care that they can't do half as much as someone else, but it'll help the health of your group if you keep an eye on it.

There isn't a nice fail-forward mechanic built in, but there are a lot of chances for you to apply DM'ing techniques from DW to D&D, and those can only help. In fact, I'd consider pulling things like group-based world building, intra-party bonds, campaign front stuff, and DM moves and finding a way to work those in. Probably be prepared to have a harder time controlling tension in combat, as others have said it can be annoyingly difficult to judge how dangerous something is based on the challenge rating. It'll probably take a few sessions, and a bit of elbow grease, and your guys will have a lot more fun than most people playing 5E.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think it's disengenuous to make the claim that "everyone" poo poo on 3.5 and "everyone" poo poo on 4e and therefore, who can tell what's real?! It isn't the same people making these complaints; the group that was pleased with 3.5 is largely also pleased by 5e. Likewise, those are the same people who hated 4e.

4e has pretty much been under attack by the same puddle-shallow arguments since it was released and for some reason those very same people are still making GBS threads on 4e even today. I don't deny 4e is a flawed game but it isn't a mystery why the most popular complaints exist in a far afield, lonely circle of the venn diagram labeled "flaws in 4e."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Turtlicious posted:

I would like a tear down of what's so bad about 5e. I'll bring up with "Hey I did some research, and here's what I think, what's your opinion?" But I really want to hear real criticism, because I remember 3.5e when 3e was "better," 4e when 3.5e was "better," and now I'm hearing it again, where 4e is now "better."

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I really want to know what's being done wrong! I want to have fun at my table, and if there are legitimate issues, I know my players will table it.

Honestly, every edition of D&D fixes what the designers saw as big problems with the previous edition and are thus usually better than the edition that preceded them, at least in the ways they tried to fix. Second edition had really inconsistent resolution mechanics, so third edition based everything on "roll a d20 and add your modifier, higher is better". Third edition had major problems with caster supremacy, so fourth edition put every class into the At-Will/Encounter/Daily structure so they'd have equal mechanical importance in a fight and thought about what they wanted a Fighter to actually do in a fight and turned all the big noncombat spells into rituals that anyone could take a feat to use. People always say that the new editions are worse, but that's because people generally just hate change.

The problem with 5e, and the reason people keep bringing up 4e in this thread, is that the problem with 4e the designers tried to solve was "people on the internet got really mad at 4e and don't want to see any of it in the next edition". Well, that and none of the designers seem to really understand why 4e did any of the good things it did.

(And before anyone says anything, yeah I know the older editions have good things going for them that either got left behind or warped into something bad in later editions. My point is, we're saying that as people looking back on thirty-some years of D&D and not people who are insulting the new edition without actually having any basis for that because the new edition just came out and no one really knows how it plays yet.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 17, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

5e's biggest problem, in my spergy shitbird opinion, is that it is a pale imitation of 3.5 with a $200 mark-up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mendrian posted:

the group that was pleased with 3.5 is largely also pleased by 5e.
A big part of this would be because

Lurks With Wolves posted:

the problem with 4e the designers tried to solve was "people on the internet got really mad at 4e and don't want to see any of it in the next edition"
The actual game is irrelevant, what they liked was the abasement.

And as always, I really must bring up that every metric available showed 4E spanking Pathfinder saleswise until Essentials messed the bed, not even counting the money fountain that was Insider. So once you hit the real world "everyone" wasn't exactly the majority of the RPG playing public.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I meant to mention in my too-many-words post that I really enjoy watching critical role, to the point that I felt interested in 5E. I then went and reconfirmed why I don't play 5E. About the only things that I find myself liking are advantage and a pile of spells requiring concentration, which now that I think about it I have no idea of if they're running house ruled versions of those at all.

The DM does a pretty interesting job of letting the casters do crazy poo poo if they describe it well, but also puts in a lot of drawbacks that skip mechanical effects as well, and it works out fairly cinematically. I don't think by RAW a 30 damage fireball can destroy a 5-foot diameter stone pillar, but it sure worked out fairly amusingly. He also does the same for the non-casters, as a single attack from a great-axe probably can't create a 10-ft diameter hole in a wooden floor, but he let the barbarian do so to drop from the ceiling into a fight.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

The DM does a pretty interesting job of letting the casters do crazy poo poo if they describe it well, but also puts in a lot of drawbacks that skip mechanical effects as well, and it works out fairly cinematically. I don't think by RAW a 30 damage fireball can destroy a 5-foot diameter stone pillar, but it sure worked out fairly amusingly. He also does the same for the non-casters, as a single attack from a great-axe probably can't create a 10-ft diameter hole in a wooden floor, but he let the barbarian do so to drop from the ceiling into a fight.
Regardless of game, I cant imagine doing a narrative game where the GM isnt doing things like that. Fun stories are the point.

For pure-rules tactics games theres warhammer (and the various other tactical miniture games dont know the names of).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

FRINGE posted:

Regardless of game, I cant imagine doing a narrative game where the GM isnt doing things like that. Fun stories are the point.

For pure-rules tactics games theres warhammer (and the various other tactical miniture games dont know the names of).

Every iteration of Warhammer has worse tactical balance and choice than 4e.

Warmahorde is a good combo based system and people say good things about X-Wing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have good house rules for social situations, since apparently those are always pretty poo poo. What I'm hearing is, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong,) 4e's combat is amazing, and 5e stole a lot of the things people like about 5e and tweaked.

People hate that, ontop of that, they made the Fighter a trap class, and if you want to be a swordsman, you should pick something else.

ZypherIM posted:

<some amazing words!>

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind, and probably add some extra in-house rules about XP for failed rolls and the like.

Is 5e, or 4e better for a GM who plans, maybe an hour a week, if that? (and most monsters come from a hat.)

Is 5e or 4e better at "Social skills."

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

4th edition is much better for quick planning because it's very easy to build encounters on the fly with the system for doing that. I think they're about equally crappy on rules for social situations though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone have good house rules for social situations, since apparently those are always pretty poo poo. What I'm hearing is, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong,) 4e's combat is amazing, and 5e stole a lot of the things people like about 5e and tweaked.

People hate that, ontop of that, they made the Fighter a trap class, and if you want to be a swordsman, you should pick something else.

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind, and probably add some extra in-house rules about XP for failed rolls and the like.

Is 5e, or 4e better for a GM who plans, maybe an hour a week, if that? (and most monsters come from a hat.)

You might also look into Strike as something of a meet-in-the-middle. It's out of combat resolution is similar to DungeonWorld, but the combat has a lot more crunch and interesting tactical options, sort of like a trimmed down 4e. It plays pretty quickly and is designed to be reskinned to fit your campaign. My admittedly limited experience with 4e is that combat can easily drag out, which doesn't happen in Strike. Strike doesn't have a ton of premade monsters yet, but has fast and easy monster creation rules.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I got into a debate with some 4th edition haters, and the argument that they kept bringing up is that while there was variety from class to class, they claimed that within the same class, there's little variety. Claiming that all fighters play the same, all wizards play the same, etc.
Which compared to 3.x and 5th, is generally true, for spellcasters. They are more limited in 4th. But to say that of the martial classes seems mind boggling. There's magnitudes more options for martial classes in 4th.

I don't mind that spellcasters get to do all sorts of awesome poo poo in 5th. It's that the martials don't. Hell, a simple martial power book that gives a lot of new options that are cool and powerful for martial classes, and an errata/faq to clear up the stupid poo poo is all it would take to fix 5th edition for me.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

5E has a ton of class balance issues but it's super nice as the DM to not have to track 12 different conditions through 3 hr combats. It also dumped skill challenges which were total poo poo.

13th Age solved some of those problems too, but it's still far too crunchy for my players.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

alg posted:

5E has a ton of class balance issues but it's super nice as the DM to not have to track 12 different conditions through 3 hr combats. It also dumped skill challenges which were total poo poo.

13th Age solved some of those problems too, but it's still far too crunchy for my players.
Wait what? 13th Age is less crunchy than 5E due to the sheer number of corner cases that you have to look up for 5E.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

What exactly does 4E do that's so much better? I remember everyone making GBS threads on 4e when it came out, and 3.5e was the big thing.

If you have some time to read, I did a review of "Wizards Presents: Races and Classes", which was a preview/design document of sorts for 4th edition. It's a good breakdown of what 4th edition insofar as being a response to flaws discovered within 3rd edition and why it's a more well-designed game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=447469512

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone have good house rules for social situations, since apparently those are always pretty poo poo

The secret is that every edition of D&D has always been about combat. Non-combat interactions tend to revolve around setting up the board: who do you fight? where do you fight? when and how do you fight? can you skip some fights? can you rig a fight to be really really in your favor?

As far as how to adjudicate non-combat interactions: the player wants to do something, they try to convince you that it's totally possible, and either give it to them automatically, you disallow it completely, or you leave it up to a roll.

What tends to throw a monkeywrench into this whole thing, and especially with regards to "social situations", is when they either use a spell or a really high skill check to try and skip a bunch of plot. That is, if they need to get inside the royal palace, they either cast a 5th edition Charm on the guard or take a really high 4th edition Intimidate check on the guard to let them pass, rather than go through an interesting breaking-and-entering montage that you had planned out.

And my view on that has always been to disallow such behavior. I mean, don't railroad the group into only entering the palace the one specific way you want them to, but given a choice between any number of potential entry points into the palace to do a Mission Impossible-style insertion, or causing a distraction elsewhere across town, or doing a fetch quest, or some other form of chicanery that doesn't come down to a single die roll, the former is much more interesting.

Turtlicious posted:

As someone who GMs by the seat of their pants quite often, 4th edition is really better at that, because you're just reading monster stats off the top of a table:

All you need is the fluff behind it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I like this representation of the monster math for 4e better:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well yes, that's what I based my table off of.

What it doesn't cover, and much to my chagrin as something that I only managed to discover so much later, was that the 4e DMG specifies additional rules for Elites and Solos: they should have action points, and they should have additional attacks that they can do on separate initiative counts so that a single Solo is still getting to attack 4 times in a round.

... which means that this was already a problem that was solved even before 5th edition's Legendary Actions and Lair Actions

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Haha, sorry I didn't catch that in the table. There's a lot of columns! :p

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

So you're still saying that anyone who runs 5e is by definition a bad GM? Cause that's what you appear to be saying. If so, you are exactly the shitbird I was talking about.

Nope, I'm saying that "only a bad GM would run 5e" might be snarky, but it's exactly the response the stupid statement "the game's fine since a good GM will spend hours figuring out how to make it fine" deserves.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 17, 2015

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

13th Age is pretty easy to GM because much like 4e, but not to the same degree, it uses fixed monster math and general abilities. This means that there's literally a web tool that will pump out appropriate fights for your group.
http://manticore.brehaut.net/

In an alternate universe, 13th Age was titled Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition and all would be well. It still has its problems but you can see the 3e->4e->(rules-lighter 4e without a grid) progression in it, and it works pretty well.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Nope, I'm saying that "only a bad GM would run 5e" might be snarky, but it's exactly the response the stupid statement "the game's fine since a good GM will spend hours figuring out how to make it fine" deserves.

It's exactly a useless response, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

These were written more as a comparison to 5e, but it illustrates just how much of the system is just warmed-over 3.5e

quote:

5e is similar to a heavily house-ruled 3.5:

The first big change is that a lot of numbers depend on your "Proficiency Bonus", which is essentially the same as "do you add your level to the d20 roll?", except the Proficiency Bonus does not increase by 1 with every level, so the designers can justify a smaller set of target values.

The second big change is that many (but not all) roll modifiers have instead been converted into Advantage/Disadvantage. Whereas trying to Stealth across a guarded room might have warranted a -2 or -4 penalty to your skill roll in previous editions, in 5e you simply have Disadvantage, which is rolling your d20 twice and taking the lower result. Whereas attacking a prone target might have warranted a +2 bonus to your attack roll in previous editions, in 5e you simply have Advantage, which is rolling your d20 twice and taking the higher result.

If you have multiple sources of Advantage, you still only roll a d20 twice and take the higher result, and vice-versa even if you have multiple sources of Disadvantage. If you have a source of both, they cancel out and you roll a single, "normal" d20.

This simplifies play by cutting down on the number of small incremental bonuses you need to remember to add to your roll in favor of just a single rule you need to remember, while also giving the DM a similarly easy to remember rule for adjudicating off-the-cuff actions not specified in the rules: a character that creates an exceptionally advantageous situation for themselves, such as say standing on top of a bar during a bar-brawl, might have Advantage.

Everyone has the same BAB progression, which means casters no longer need to rely on "touch attacks" since their d20 + proficiency bonus + INT bonus is always high enough to consistently hit a target's full AC value. Similarly, Rogues and similar partial-BAB classes don't need to rely on denying a target's AC bonus from DEX, nor incremental increases to their attack bonus.

Skills are similarly simplified: if you know a skill, you add your Proficiency Bonus to it, otherwise you don't. This is effectively the same as in 3.5 where some skills you dumped all your skill ranks into, and others where you didn't, except there are fewer skills to work with, and as I said Proficiency does not go up by 1 per level, so your DCs are only ever 10 for Easy, 15 for Moderate, 20 for Hard.

Vancian casting is simplified. You can "know" a spell, and you can "prepare" a spell. If you know a spell, you can make it one of your prepared spells. If you have a spell prepared, you can spend a spell slot on it. Wizard spell slots are no longer tied to specific spells, similar to Sorcerer spontaneous casting. Divine casters always know all possible spells of their level, they just have to pick a smaller subset that they can prepare. Wizards can eventually know all spells as they add them to their spellbook, but they don't know all spells starting out. Bards and Sorcerers will only have know a small subset of spells, but every spell they know, they always have prepared.

No more iterative attacks. Any extra attacks martial classes earn are always at "full BAB", although you get fewer of them.

Concentration is a new mechanic to rein in spellcaster power. Some spells require Concentration to maintain, a spellcaster can only concentrate on one spell at a time, and a spellcaster that takes damage can have their concentration broken (and accordingly lose the spell's effect). This puts a hard limit on how many effects a spellcaster can have running at any one time.

Saving throws have been revamped. Instead of Fort, Reflex and Will, each of the 6 attributes is now its own saving throw. You still add your INT modifier to an INT saving throw, and your DEX modifier to a DEX saving throw, but where in 3.5 your Fighter would have a "Good saving throw progression" for Fort and a "Bad saving throw progression" for Reflex and Will, now you just have "The Fighter adds his Proficiency Bonus to STR and CON saving throws" (and does not add them for the 4 other saving throws). The flaw in this scheme is that there are way too many saving throws for a class to ever be good at more than maybe two of them, and the distribution of which spells correspond to which saving throws is so haphazard as to be useless

You only ever get one Reaction, and there is no Delay action. This speeds up combat by reducing the number of potential "interruptions" to combat.

The "less mechanical, more naturalistic" language of 3.5 is also used here in 5e, for better or worse.

Compare the Fireball of 3.5:

quote:

Fireball
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
A fireball spell is an explosion of flame that detonates with a low roar and deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to every creature within the area. Unattended objects also take this damage. The explosion creates almost no pressure.
You point your finger and determine the range (distance and height) at which the fireball is to burst. A glowing, pea-sized bead streaks from the pointing digit and, unless it impacts upon a material body or solid barrier prior to attaining the prescribed range, blossoms into the fireball at that point. (An early impact results in an early detonation.) If you attempt to send the bead through a narrow passage, such as through an arrow slit, you must “hit” the opening with a ranged touch attack, or else the bead strikes the barrier and detonates prematurely.
The fireball sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area. It can melt metals with low melting points, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, and bronze. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the fireball may continue beyond the barrier if the area permits; otherwise it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.
Material Component: A tiny ball of bat guano and sulfur.

With the Fireball of 5e:

quote:

Fireball
3rd-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 150 feet
Components: V, S, M (a tiny ball of bat guano and sulfur)
Duration: Instantaneous
A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you choose within range and then blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a Dexterity saving throw. A target takes 8d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried. At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 3rd.

That said, there are far fewer instances where 5e strictly defines what any given series of rules interactions will produce, unlike 3.5e (and especially so compared to 4e). If you consider it a good thing that a ruleset is "light enough to be roleplayed easily", I suggest you take it to heart and do not constantly look at the rulebook: have the DM make a ruling that the whole table likes, and stick by it. Your play experience will be much smoother.

quote:

I would say 13th Age is a better 5e than 5e

* The rules actually support grid-less combat that works
* The skill system is completely narrative driven, as opposed to 5e's "we still couldn't find it within ourselves to go whole-hog on the background skills except as a DMG variant rule"
* Class design more closely resembles 4e insofar as everyone gets an interesting thing they can do every turn, without 4e's complexity and bloat (although there are parts of this that are still weak, like the Fighter and the Ranger, not nearly as weak as in 5e)
* The item treadmill is, as in 5e, also excised
* Monster construction and encounter construction is dead-simple
* A cap of level 10 but allowing the players to add their level to most rolls allows for a mundane-adventurer-to-epic-hero arc without 3.5/4e's "need full per-level skill DC chart", but also without 5e's very limited scaling
* The escalation die mechanic solves a LOT of problems with D&D-esque combat
* Monster vs player math is laid out well and doesn't result in swingy, unintentionally deadly encounters
* No more huge spell list that takes up half the book and is a pain in the rear end to reference, ditto no more monsters that rely on looking up spells in the spell list