Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Commentary track: Lucas thinks it's supposed to be a surprise that Palpatine was the bad guy all along in ep 3. hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

brawleh posted:

It's important to reconise that i'm not actually asking these questions, it's the movies themselves. I'm just posing the questions from the movies and you're answering them, in good faith. I just want you to explore those questions posed by the movies while not decieving yourself over an evil wizards intentions. Also your initial answers had a good read, but you've decied to no longer pursue the truth of your own feelings. Instead you've hit a road block in the form of an evil wizard's intent, who you believe is trying to deceive all of us at best and a bumbling idiot at worst. Try and move past it and grapple with the further questions posed.

This is solid observation and you should follow through on this line of thought.

Movies can't ask questions. People can. Talk to your doctor about haloperidol

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cnut the Great posted:

No. Yoda fails to defeat Sidious for the exact same reason Luke fails to defeat Vader in Empire:

This is Lucas describing his original conception of the duel between Luke and Vader on Cloud City.

Sound familiar? "The more he's winning, the more he's losing." Yoda "gave up" for a reason. Fighting Sidious was forcing him to become Sidious:

That was Yoda's failure. At the end, he realizes this:

In fighting Sidious, he's literally lost hold of what it means to be a Jedi. He realizes this while gazing upon his forsaken Jedi cloak fluttering down onto a metal pole and waving like a flag of surrender, urging Yoda toward peaceful capitulation.

I'm posting this for the benefit of other people reading this thread, of course, since I know none of this could ever possibly penetrate through your thick skull despite being totally and immediately comprehensible to any halfway intelligent child viewer. I think the reason you're so reluctant to admit I'm right about this is because then you would have to contend with the fact that the Star Wars prequels really were just too smart for you.

That sure is an interesting fantasy substantiated by nothing and contradicted by everything said by everyone. Such an imagination!

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Cnut you never answered my question w/r/t George Lucas making GBS threads in your mouth and how much you would pretend to resist before fully committing to be his anime toilet slave. This deflection is extremely intellectually dishonest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tezzor posted:

That sure is an interesting fantasy substantiated by nothing and contradicted by everything said by everyone. Such an imagination!

I don't get it. I'm having fun doing something I like to do, which is making anonymous sperg posts about Star Wars with all my buddies here on the Something Awful forums. Meanwhile, you just come off looking like a stupendously obtuse idiot to probably the majority of people reading this thread, even the ones who hate the prequels as much as you do, without even the paltry benefit of looking like a lesser sperg.

I don't get the troll, Tezzor. I don't think this is how trolling is supposed to work.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't get it. I'm having fun doing something I like to do, which is making anonymous sperg posts about Star Wars with all my buddies here on the Something Awful forums. Meanwhile, you just come off looking like a stupendously obtuse idiot to probably the majority of people reading this thread, even the ones who hate the prequels as much as you do, without even the paltry benefit of looking like a lesser sperg.

I don't get the troll, Tezzor. I don't think this is how trolling is supposed to work.

I am also having fun doing something I like to do, which is to poke holes in pretentious windbags and their indefensible and counterfactual defenses of terrible, embarrassing schlock. We Are Not So Different

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rey has to stink to high heaven. Living on a desert planet, inside a trashed AT-AT, short on food and by extension water, likely never washing herself or her clothes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oy6DwHAi70

Combat Pretzel posted:

Rey has to stink to high heaven. Living on a desert planet, inside a trashed AT-AT, short on food and by extension water, likely never washing herself or her clothes.

I think everybody in Star Wars has to stink to some degree.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Combat Pretzel posted:

And yet, perfect teeth and a complex hair style.

Maybe Jakku has some really, really good dentists and beauticians.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

God drat, Tezzor. :gerty:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Gonz posted:

And yet, perfect teeth and a complex hair style.

Maybe Jakku has some really, really good dentists and beauticians.

She and the old woman with the dreads do each other's hair

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tezzor what is your favorite movie? Seriously asking? Like, if you were going to be teaching a class on film what would you put on the syllabus?

I'm asking because from how you post you seem to have genuine disdain for even the most elementary engagement with film-as-text

I'm not trying to "getcha" you or anything I'm really honestly curious what your favorite movies are and why

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Again, you've lost sight of your argument.

Why do you assume the Trade Federation was ever a fair and democratic institution?

You're still arguing that corporations should have seats in government.

I'm arguing that planets in a republic deserve representation. Do you believe it's obscene when local politicians in the real world support local business?

I'm arguing that the republic was an attempt at a fair and democratic institution. And that allowing planets favoring the federation to elect representatives favoring the federation was not an example of corruption.

DeimosRising posted:

No I meant evil when I said it: democracy is not self justifying. Would you (and do you, since it has happened repeatedly) defend democratically enacted ethnic cleansing? It is wrong to make corporations part of government. It is wrong to make profit the goal of social policy. Doing these things is a sign of social disease, both in our real world and in the metaphorical world of Star Wars.

Allowing the governed to elect their representives is not the same as ethnic cleansing.

An example of social disease is disenfranchising your people because you disagree with them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

- "Corporations should not have seats in government."
- "Nuh-uh!"

- "Corporations should not own governments."
- "Nuh-uh!"

I'm expecting for this to happen:

- "The Trade Federation isn't a fair and democratic institution."
- "Nuh-uh!"

This is a very fair and mature post that contributes greatly to the thread.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Movies can't ask questions. People can. Talk to your doctor about haloperidol

:psyduck:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what is movies?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

[quote="Neurolimal" post=""459078881"]
Allowing the governed to elect their representives is not the same as ethnic cleansing.

An example of social disease is disenfranchising your people because you disagree with them.
[/quote]

What? That isn't even close to what I wrote.

What if they vote for ethnic cleansing? Some things are not ok even if most of your citizenry vote for them. This is generally not controversial, though you can disagree with it if you like. The question is only what things are out of bounds for a vote and why?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

PBS Newshour posted:

what is movies?

Movies are fake, much like the universe. We are all living a lie inside an incredibly complex computer simulation.

Star Wars is a glitch in the system. Like an malware taskbar.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Tezzor posted:

I admit that I was originally slightly wrong. I originally thought that Lucas had intended to create a somewhat morally grey universe and merely largely failed at it by making his antagonists such ridiculous Captain Planet villains. Until I looked into it in detail, I could not conceptualize the true scale of his true failure and absolute incompetence. He did not attempt to make films that were morally grey at all, and failed spectacularly. This neatly resolves the question of the Mace scene. Mace killing Palpy was wrong because it's not a thing Good Guys do, and Anakin stopping him was the right thing to do, at least according to Lucas. Lucas also says Anakin wanted Palps to live so he could learn the Save Pregnant Women From Dying Jutsu, didn't know Palps was going to kill Mace, and as soon as he does Anakin realizes he made a mistake and there was no turning back. So yes: Anakin was Good, until he made a mistake, then like 30 seconds later was Evil and so had no choice but to swear himself to monster mash and cut apart a bunch of kids because of Evil. That is the moral depth at play in the Star Wars prequels.
I'm a little confused by this.

Killing a defenseless foe is shown to be a Bad Thing by the context of the OT and also earlier in Episode III when Anakin himself is goaded into killing Dooku. How is Good Guy Jedi Master Mace Windu trying to kill a defenseless Palpatine -- something that is categorically defined as wrong by Star Wars context -- not, then, plainly evident of a morally grey Jedi Order?

Anakin stopping Mace from cold-blooded execution is a mistake insofar that Palpatine twists Anakin's nobility for a dark purpose -- which is kinda the basis for their relationship -- but it's hardly an unsympathetic mistake. I don't think anyone should be looking at the scene going "Why would Anakin do that?" It's clear why.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

What? That isn't even close to what I wrote.

What if they vote for ethnic cleansing? Some things are not ok even if most of your citizenry vote for them. This is generally not controversial, though you can disagree with it if you like. The question is only what things are out of bounds for a vote and why?

Obviously that is bad, and any good democracy should have protections against it and similar atrocities.

My point is simply that if the federation planets wish to have their republic representive favor the federation, that's their right to do so (just as its evrry other planet's right to elect representives who do not align with the federation). There's no moral way to absorb federation planets but not allow the federation a say; you'd have to disenfranchise millions of inhabitants (or not allow them into the republic in the first place).

Also, speaking in terms of scifi, if your alliance's limit is "planet-sized businesses", then you're going to have a ton of farther-out alien races that will be excluded, insectoids especially :v:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Obviously that is bad, and any good democracy should have protections against it and similar atrocities.

My point is simply that if the federation planets wish to have their republic representive favor the federation, that's their right to do so (just as its evrry other planet's right to elect representives who do not align with the federation). There's no moral way to absorb federation planets but not allow the federation a say; you'd have to disenfranchise millions of inhabitants (or not allow them into the republic in the first place).

Also, speaking in terms of scifi, if your alliance's limit is "planet-sized businesses", then you're going to have a ton of farther-out alien races that will be excluded, insectoids especially :v:

Because the federation has a seat in the senate, they were freely and democratically elected to that position.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 13, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neurolimal posted:

I'm arguing that planets in a republic deserve representation. Do you believe it's obscene when local politicians in the real world support local business?

I'm arguing that the republic was an attempt at a fair and democratic institution. And that allowing planets favoring the federation to elect representatives favoring the federation was not an example of corruption.

I believe that when businesses take control of governments, that government seizes to be democratic. For example, in the Phantom Menace, the Trade Federations attempt to seize control of the government of the planet Naboo is inherently undemocratic. If the Trade Federation had succeeded in forcing the Queen to legitimize their occupation, that would have still been undemocratic.

Moreover, it's not just that there are planets that are forced under duress to support the Federation. The federation itself has seats on the senate. That is also inherently undemocratic.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 24, 2016

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BrianWilly posted:

I'm a little confused by this.

Killing a defenseless foe is shown to be a Bad Thing by the context of the OT and also earlier in Episode III when Anakin himself is goaded into killing Dooku. How is Good Guy Jedi Master Mace Windu trying to kill a defenseless Palpatine -- something that is categorically defined as wrong by Star Wars context -- not, then, plainly evident of a morally grey Jedi Order?

Anakin stopping Mace from cold-blooded execution is a mistake insofar that Palpatine twists Anakin's nobility for a dark purpose -- which is kinda the basis for their relationship -- but it's hardly an unsympathetic mistake. I don't think anyone should be looking at the scene going "Why would Anakin do that?" It's clear why.

palpatine is not actually defenseless at all and is lying to trick an idiot. mace is totally right that he is too dangerous to live, and despite lucas's statement it is actually the right thing to kill palpatine, as evidenced by the effects of not killing palpatine and later the fact that killing palpatine was the right thing and the thing that in fact was so good it redeemed anakin from a lifetime of evil. killing him earlier would have just saved everyone a lot of grief. mace is, and i quote, "the pure, unadulterated good guy" so surely we can forgive him doing one allegedly kind of bad thing for the greater good. and yes in fact the general audience thinks it was stupid for Anakin to save the objectively evil mutant lightning monster because he promised him a very convenient thing he can't actually deliver

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 24, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lol yes of course it's necessary to explain why a group called the loving Trade Federation is probably a bad thing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

palpatine is not actually defenseless at all and is lying to trick an idiot. mace is totally right that he is too dangerous to live, and despite lucas's statement it is actually the right thing to kill palpatine, as evidenced by the effects of not killing palpatine and later the fact that killing palpatine was the right thing and the thing that in fact was so good it redeemed anakin from a lifetime of evil. killing him earlier would have just saved everyone a lot of grief. mace is, and i quote, "the pure, unadulterated good guy" so surely we can forgive him doing one allegedly kind of bad thing for the greater good. and yes in fact the general audience thinks it was stupid for Anakin to save the objectively evil mutant lightning monster because he promised him a very convenient thing he can't actually deliver

Oh my god you are literally retarded.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I for one welcome the return of tezzor because for the last 8 months or so Cnut has been a oval office.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cnut owns and is a good poster.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
cinema discusso posters: superman was completely in the right to kill zod and people who complain about it don't get it. he was too dangerous to live and the traditional institutions could not handle him. also, mace windu trying to kill dracula's mean warlock uncle seconds before he was gruesomely murdered by said revenant was a completely indefensible act of evil

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
George Lucas' intent trumps everything, but Lucas intended for you to love his very good films - and you don't.

Instead, you have spent months or years writing an ongoing list of imdb 'goofs'. Thousands of 'goofs' - enough to fill a book, at least.

But 'goofs' are unintentional, and George Lucas' intent trumps everything. And now you are in a mental feedback loop that is slowly driving you insane.

I am afraid the only way out is to accept Christ into your life.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*Looks at the thread*

"There were heroes on both sides"

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

George Lucas' intent trumps everything, but Lucas intended for you to love his very good films - and you don't.

Instead, you have spent months or years writing an ongoing list of imdb 'goofs'. Thousands of 'goofs' - enough to fill a book, at least.

But 'goofs' are unintentional, and George Lucas' intent trumps everything. And now you are in a mental feedback loop that is slowly driving you insane.

I am afraid the only way out is to accept Christ into your life.

His intent was to make good and liked movies with no major breaches of logic or common sense. He failed. His intent was also to make movies with clear distinctions of right and wrong. He also failed. There's no contradiction here, in fact it is the opposite

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

cinema discusso posters: superman was completely in the right to kill zod and people who complain about it don't get it. he was too dangerous to live and the traditional institutions could not handle him. also, mace windu trying to kill dracula's mean warlock uncle seconds before he was gruesomely murdered by said revenant was a completely indefensible act of evil

you mean two movies made by two guys might have two different intentions?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tezzor posted:

His intent was to make good and liked movies with no major breaches of logic or common sense. He failed. His intent was also to make movies with clear distinctions of right and wrong. He also failed. There's no contradiction here, in fact it is the opposite

You have now admitted that your entire interpretation is based on things the author never intended, and informed by things you have 'brought in from outside' - e.g. your unique form of "commonsense".

Now that you have accepted this, you must admit that actual commonsense would tell you the trillions of Seperatist peoples are not 'pure evil', that a single person cannot control the universe, and so-on.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Elfgames posted:

you mean two movies made by two guys might have two different intentions?

It's the same drat moral quandary lol

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Zod: batman save me and I will use kryptonian technology to resurrect your parents
Batman: darrrr ok this is probably what they would have wanted anyway
(years pass)
Batman: I sure hope he gives me that thing he promised soon

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
What I appreciate about Tezzor's reading of the prequels is that they seem to affix the character of 'George Lucas' within his tracing of the film. It's all very post-structural.

lfield
May 10, 2008
Should a hero execute a dangerous villain without trial to prevent further evil deeds? It depends, in that I need to wait for the general critical consensus to form so's I can take a position contrary to it.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You have now admitted that your entire interpretation is based on things the author never intended, and informed by things you have 'brought in from outside' - e.g. your unique form of "commonsense".

Now that you have accepted this, you must admit that actual commonsense would tell you the trillions of Seperatist peoples are not 'pure evil', that a single person cannot control the universe, and so-on.

You know for a dude who pretends to comprehend dialectics you sure don't seem to know what a contradiction is. Hey Tezzor you claim that this film as intended regularly violates logic and common sense. But check it: the intention that the separatists were pure evil violates logic and common sense owwwwned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Cnut you never answered my question w/r/t George Lucas making GBS threads in your mouth and how much you would pretend to resist before fully committing to be his anime toilet slave. This deflection is extremely intellectually dishonest.

-_-

• Locked thread