System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

he didn't base that 10x figure off this one death, he already came to it from other data

He's comparing apples and oranges, and to be fair he admits that. We don't really know what percentage of disengagements would have turned into accidents. He thinks that 1 in 10 is a generous guess, and maybe it is, but it is just a number he made up. Not based on anything other than his hunch. The guy is tripping over himself to say "I told you so" before knowing whether or not Uber was even at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

He's comparing apples and oranges, and to be fair he admits that. We don't really know what percentage of disengagements would have turned into accidents. He thinks that 1 in 10 is a generous guess, and maybe it is, but it is just a number he made up. Not based on anything other than his hunch. The guy is tripping over himself to say "I told you so" before knowing whether or not Uber was even at fault.

in what way would you claim he's tripping over himself to claim uber was at fault? the post in the tweet was published a month before this

also, would you argue that 1/10 disengagements turning into accidents is not being generous? remember, these are events are described as "a deactivation of the autonomous mode when a failure of the autonomous technology is detected or when the safe operation of the vehicle requires that the autonomous vehicle test driver disengage the autonomous mode and take immediate manual control of the vehicle." i'd argue that such events, in a system that should be autonomous and that people are saying could handle the road without a human driver are more likely than 1/10 to cause an accident. imo, it's pretty easy to draw a line to these events happening in a system meant for public use (not staffed with a professional test driver) and vehicular accidents.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

in what way would you claim he's tripping over himself to claim uber was at fault? the post in the tweet was published a month before this
By tweeting an "I told you so" tweet as soon as he found out about it.

quote:

also, would you argue that 1/10 disengagements turning into accidents is not being generous? remember, these are events are described as "a deactivation of the autonomous mode when a failure of the autonomous technology is detected or when the safe operation of the vehicle requires that the autonomous vehicle test driver disengage the autonomous mode and take immediate manual control of the vehicle." i'd argue that such events, in a system that should be autonomous and that people are saying could handle the road without a human driver are more likely than 1/10 to cause an accident. imo, it's pretty easy to draw a line to these events happening in a system meant for public use (not staffed with a professional test driver) and vehicular accidents.

The number of times that any given person does something dangerous while driving and doesn't cause an accident is way more than 10 times per accident. I see close calls literally every single time I drive but I see relatively few actual accidents on a daily basis.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

1/10 disengagements turning into accidents is at least an order of magnitude off, probably more. I'd guess it's more like 1/10k disengagements is an accident, but we don't have the data.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

quote:

The number of times that any given person does something dangerous while driving and doesn't cause an accident is way more than 10 times per accident. I see close calls literally every single time I drive but I see relatively few actual accidents on a daily basis.

that's not really comparable to a disengagement event though? how many times do you see people going unconscious behind the wheel and things turning out fine? when i think disengagement event i think things like that or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBaolsFyD9I

not someone swerving in and out of traffic haphazardly.

Jose Valasquez posted:

By tweeting an "I told you so" tweet as soon as he found out about it.

so, why are you so certain that uber was not at fault then? what exactly have you seen that points to that conclusion? them halting self-driving tests? the testimonials in thread about how pedestrians dart in and out of heavy traffic like squirrels?

the reason he's claiming "i told you so" is because self driving cars have been getting into accidents at rates above human accident rates already, and now they've gotten someone killed way earlier than they statistically should've.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 19, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

that's not really comparable to a disengagement event though? how many times do you see people going unconscious behind the wheel and things turning out fine? when i think disengagement event i think things like that or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBaolsFyD9I

not someone swerving in and out of traffic haphazardly.
The definition of a disengagement event is in the article you linked. It covers way more than the obvious stuff like that video.

quote:

so, why are you so certain that uber was not at fault then? what exactly have you seen that points to that conclusion? them halting self-driving tests? the testimonials in thread about how pedestrians dart in and out of heavy traffic like squirrels?
I'm not certain Uber was not at fault. Nor am I certain that Uber was at fault. I'm waiting for the investigation to actually happen. Nobody in this thread is saying there is no way Uber is at fault. We're saying "Hey maybe we should let the investigation happen before jumping to conclusions." You are the only person in the thread making definitive statements about this incident.

Of course they stopped self-driving tests, they are performing an investigation and if it turns out they were at fault it's going to look really bad if they ignored it and kept their cars out there. They would halt the tests during the investigation whether they are at fault or not.

quote:

the reason he's claiming "i told you so" is because self driving cars have been getting into accidents at rates above human accident rates already, and now they've gotten someone killed way earlier than they statistically should've.
Except he doesn't know that. He is basing this off the same articles everyone else is reading and there is not enough public information to definitely say that the self driving car was at fault (yet)

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 19, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

Except he doesn't know that. He is basing this off the same articles everyone else is reading and there is not enough public information to definitely say that the self driving car was at fault (yet)

Actually, there is!

http://abc30.com/3234630/

quote:

The vehicle was going 40 mph when it hit the pedestrian. There was no indication the car attempted to slow itself before the collision.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Tempe police said the car didn’t try to slow down.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

this doesn't mean what you think it means but you're going to argue about it anyway

no indication doesn't mean "crashed into an object with plenty of time to stop" like you are asserting it does here, she could have walked in front of the vehicle so suddenly it had no time to stop

and i know this is where you will say something goofy about reaction times or w/e and you're wrong about that too

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

boner confessor posted:

this doesn't mean what you think it means but you're going to argue about it anyway

no indication doesn't mean "crashed into an object with plenty of time to stop" like you are asserting it does here, she could have walked in front of the vehicle so suddenly it had no time to stop

and i know this is where you will say something goofy about reaction times or w/e and you're wrong about that too

it means literally what it says boner confessor. no attempt to stop. not "didn't manage to stop in time". not "had no time to stop". literally "There was no indication the car attempted to slow itself before the collision"

if the car was functioning properly, there would have been an attempt to stop. it did not. hence, it is at fault.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

it means literally what it says boner confessor. no attempt to stop. not "didn't manage to stop in time". not "had no time to stop". literally "There was no indication the car attempted to slow itself before the collision"

yeah this just means there's a lack of skidmarks on the road and nothing in the police report saying the driver hit the brakes. you're reading this completely incorrectly as "the uncaring machine plowed directly into the woman as she plead for her life" but that is because of the position you're trying to push here. you're bending the facts in a pretty silly way and it's sort of funny i guess to watch you tantrum about this. i do enjoy watching people continually demonstrate how much they don't understand what they're trying to argue but, eh, 4/10

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

boner confessor posted:

yeah this just means there's a lack of skidmarks on the road and nothing in the police report saying the driver hit the brakes. you're reading this completely incorrectly as "the uncaring machine plowed directly into the woman as she plead for her life" but that is because of the position you're trying to push here. you're bending the facts in a pretty silly way and it's sort of funny i guess to watch you tantrum about this

i'm not bending the facts at all. if the machine were working correctly there would have been an attempt to stop. that it hit her going 40mph indicates it was malfunctioning

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

i'm not bending the facts at all. if the machine were working correctly there would have been an attempt to stop. that it hit her going 40mph indicates it was malfunctioning. you can stop trying to stick up for the robot car now

haha ok it's pretty good you're arguing here about an unthinking tool not knowing when to stop lol

like, the irony, etc.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

i'm not bending the facts at all. if the machine were working correctly there would have been an attempt to stop. that it hit her going 40mph indicates it was malfunctioning

Was the human in the seat also malfunctioning?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Was the human also malfunctioning?

in all likelihood, he was not paying enough attention. i guess you could say yes he was in that case. but people have warned that autonomous systems tend to lead to such outcomes as they lull people into a false sense of security

boner confessor posted:

haha ok it's pretty good you're arguing here about an unthinking tool not knowing when to stop lol

like, the irony, etc.

why are you melting down so hard about this?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think this will be one of many cases that proves even if Uber is at fault, we as a society don’t care about human life enough for this to be a meaningful block to implementation.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

I think this will be one of many cases that proves even if Uber is at fault, we as a society don’t care about human life enough for this to be a meaningful block to implementation.

the government can and will get involved if self driving car technology isn't "safe enough", they already regulate emissions and other safety features as well and if there's a hint the technology might be defective or "defective" then the NHSTA can and will step in with a whole new pile of regulations. im guessing they haven't yet because the technology is still infant

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

boner confessor posted:

the government can and will get involved if self driving car technology isn't "safe enough", they already regulate emissions and other safety features as well and if there's a hint the technology might be defective or "defective" then the NHSTA can and will step in with a whole new pile of regulations. im guessing they haven't yet because the technology is still infant

i wouldn't count on it with president trump, but at least the NHTSA is looking into it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

boner confessor posted:

I think history is on my side on this one. When automobiles first caused massive pedestrian deaths we responded by criminalizing pedestrian behavior that didn’t comply with the needs of automobiles.

Of course they are and will continue to be regulated, but when push comes to shove I think as a society we’d select more pedestrian deaths if it still reduced labor costs for businesses.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

in all likelihood, he was not paying enough attention. i guess you could say yes he was in that case. but people have warned that autonomous systems tend to lead to such outcomes as they lull people into a false sense of security

Or maybe the fact both the car and the testing engineer failed to avoid the woman is some indication that it wasn't a simple situation that is the one weird trick that proves self driving cars are fake and dumb.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

second source on the "car did not attempt to stop" claim:

https://twitter.com/ceodonovan/status/975857228442775552

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Or maybe the fact both the car and the testing engineer failed to avoid the woman is some indication that it wasn't a simple situation that is the one weird trick that proves self driving cars are fake and dumb.

so you think she teleported directly in front of the car and that's why it didn't slow down? cause if the car was not malfunctioning, it would have slowed at least somewhat in all realistic scenarios. but it did not. sorry, this was a malfunction, not an entirely unavoidable accident.

also, i'm sure prosecutors are looking at possible charges because there was no fault on uber or their autonomous vehicle's part in this case oocc

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 20, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

so you think she teleported directly in front of the car and that's why it didn't slow down? cause if the car was not malfunctioning, it would have slowed at least somewhat in all realistic scenarios. but it did not. sorry, this was a malfunction, not an entirely unavoidable accident.

Does someone need to post some 4chan style video compilation of hundreds and hundreds of clips of people stepping into traffic and getting immediately hit by a car? Because you seem to be acting really skeptical that that happens.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Does someone need to post some 4chan style video compilation of hundreds and hundreds of clips of people stepping into traffic and getting immediately hit by a car? Because you seem to be acting really skeptical that that happens.

self driving cars have many multitudes higher reaction times than humans oocc. if it were not malfunctioning, stepping in front of it would trigger it attempting to slow down. it did not attempt to slow down. that is extremely indicative of malfunction of the autonomous system.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

I think history is on my side on this one. When automobiles first caused massive pedestrian deaths we responded by criminalizing pedestrian behavior that didn’t comply with the needs of automobiles.

Of course they are and will continue to be regulated, but when push comes to shove I think as a society we’d select more pedestrian deaths if it still reduced labor costs for businesses.

oh i'm not disputing you there. i'm just saying that self driving tech clearly falls under the jurisdiction of NHSTA and im wondering what they've done so far, and what they will do when self driving cars are in wider usage and killing more people

Condiv posted:

self driving cars have many multitudes higher reaction times than humans oocc. if it were not malfunctioning, stepping in front of it would trigger it attempting to slow down. it did not attempt to slow down. that is extremely indicative of malfunction of the autonomous system.

it is not at all lol

boner confessor posted:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Condiv posted:

Or an indication that they stepped out so very close to the car, so close that neither the human or the driver could act. Instead of some weird theory that the human driver sat and watched the car plow down the woman but the car had mind controlled him into complacency and not caring he was going to kill someone.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

Autonomous cars don't have instant reaction times. The best estimate I found was about 0.5 seconds. That gives about 30ft at 40mph. It is not unreasonable that someone could step out in front of a car that is 30ft away if they aren't paying attention.

I know that if the investigation comes back and Uber is in fact at fault you're going to be smug and think you won this argument, but nobody is arguing that Uber is not at fault, they are arguing that there isn't enough public information to definitely say that Uber is at fault. You are wrong even if Uber is at fault.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Personally, I'm sad that Uber's lovely tech murdered someone

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Or an indication that they stepped out so very close to the car, so close that neither the human or the driver could act. Instead of some weird theory that the human driver sat and watched the car plow down the woman but the car had mind controlled him into complacency and not caring he was going to kill someone.

oocc, there have been studies done that have shown that autonomous vehicles with disengagement systems tend to worsen reaction times in humans significantly, cause they stop paying attention to them. i invite you to read up

as for your theory that the woman darted out in front of the car faster than it could react, well, that's not based in anything realistic. the fact of the matter is that if the car was functioning properly, it would have begun braking as soon as an obstacle was detected in its path. it detected no obstacle, even though there was one there. that is indicated by it hitting her at 40mph. considering that the latest sensors in autonomous vehicles can image at 120fps, they have a maximum reaction time of 8ms. even if the vehicle's reaction time was 16ms, that's far faster than human movement can put itself into the path of the car. basically, there's no way it could have hit her like it did cause of her actions. that puts the machine at fault.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

Autonomous cars don't have instant reaction times. The best estimate I found was about 0.5 seconds. That gives about 30ft at 40mph. It is not unreasonable that someone could step out in front of a car that is 30ft away if they aren't paying attention.

I know that if the investigation comes back and Uber is in fact at fault you're going to be smug and think you won this argument, but nobody is arguing that Uber is not at fault, they are arguing that there isn't enough public information to definitely say that Uber is at fault. You are wrong even if Uber is at fault.

0.5 seconds would put autonomous cars at below human reaction times. where are you getting that number?

500 milliseconds is an eternity computationally. 16ms or so sounds much more likely

human reaction time averages at around .25 seconds btw

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

as for your theory that the woman darted out in front of the car faster than it could react, well, that's not based in anything realistic.

i can only imagine you've never driven a car around pedestrians or something

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
So so far we have the Tempe police saying there's no indication the vehicle attempted to slow down, probably looking for skid marks and the like. Given that this car was instrumented out the wazoo, I'm sure we'll have a lot more information to argue about later about whether the car should have seen the pedestrian. Seems way early to be saying what the car should or should not have done.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

boner confessor posted:

i can only imagine you've never driven a car around pedestrians or something

are pedestrians superhuman now? i'd like to see one that can dart into the path of a car in less than 100ms.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fordan posted:

Seems way early to be saying what the car should or should not have done.

absolutely, unless you're hell bent on arguing that self driving cars are bad using the worst possible arguments

i'm like the designated "i hate self driving cars" guy itt and even i think uber probably isnt at fault here. pedestrians get themselves hit by cars in dumb ways all of the time, especially at night

i'll post this again and quote it for those choosing not to click the link

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/30/522085503/2016-saw-a-record-increase-in-pedestrian-deaths

quote:

According to the GHSA report, 74 percent of pedestrian fatalities happen at night, and 72 percent of those killed were not crossing at intersections.

both of which are true in this case

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

boner confessor posted:

absolutely, unless you're hell bent on arguing that self driving cars are bad using the worst possible arguments

i'm like the designated "i hate self driving cars" guy itt and even i think uber probably isnt at fault here. pedestrians get themselves hit by cars in dumb ways all of the time, especially at night

i'll post this again and quote it for those choosing not to click the link

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/30/522085503/2016-saw-a-record-increase-in-pedestrian-deaths

both of which are true in this case

you're trying real hard to blame a woman walking her bike across the street for her own death. the fact of the matter is she was not moving fast enough that the car couldn't react to her if it wasn't malfunctioning. and it's almost certain that no human could move fast enough to produce the result we saw here in a non-failure state of the automated system.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

fordan posted:

So so far we have the Tempe police saying there's no indication the vehicle attempted to slow down, probably looking for skid marks and the like. Given that this car was instrumented out the wazoo, I'm sure we'll have a lot more information to argue about later about whether the car should have seen the pedestrian. Seems way early to be saying what the car should or should not have done.

i have absolute faith that Uber, a company which spent time and money developing a new, better way to destroy subpoenaed evidence, will give all of the info.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Condiv posted:

0.5 seconds would put autonomous cars at below human reaction times. where are you getting that number?

500 milliseconds is an eternity computationally. 16ms or so sounds much more likely

human reaction time averages at around .25 seconds btw

Human reaction times while driving are not anywhere close to 0.25 seconds while driving.

http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/reactiontime.html posted:

Expected: the driver is alert and aware of the good possibility that braking will be necessary. This is the absolute best reaction time possible. The best estimate is 0.7 second. Of this, 0.5 is perception and 0.2 is movement, the time required to release the accelerator and to depress the brake pedal.

Unexpected: the driver detects a common road signal such as a brake from the car ahead or from a traffic signal. Reaction time is somewhat slower, about 1.25 seconds. This is due to the increase in perception time to over a second with movement time still about 0.2 second.

Surprise: the drive encounters a very unusual circumstance, such as a pedestrian or another car crossing the road in the near distance. There is extra time needed to interpret the event and to decide upon response. Reaction time depends to some extent on the distance to the obstacle and whether it is approaching from the side and is first seen in peripheral vision. The best estimate is 1.5 seconds for side incursions and perhaps a few tenths of a second faster for straight-ahead obstacles. Perception time is 1.2 seconds while movement time lengthens to 0.3 second.

This is the only reference I've found for self driving car reaction times

https://www.wired.com/story/self-driving-cars-perception-humans/ posted:

Machines can react faster than humans, in about 0.5 seconds on a dry road compared to 1.6 seconds for the meatbags.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's hilarious that Condiv has successfully driven SV-skeptics into defending Uber and self-driving cars because he has to dig his heels in with a dumb argument about reaction times.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Slanderer posted:

i have absolute faith that Uber, a company which spent time and money developing a new, better way to destroy subpoenaed evidence, will give all of the info.

This is a very valid point, although I suspect that this happening well away from Uber HQ and that the police are talking potential criminal charges might help keep the data safe, especially the video data which they'd have a hard time arguing doesn't exist. Also kinda hoping the police just took the car as evidence.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jose Valasquez posted:

Human reaction times while driving are not anywhere close to 0.25 seconds while driving.

This is the only reference I've found for self driving car reaction times

even in your article, the human reaction time while driving is 500 milliseconds. we are not concerned with human muscle-reaction in this discussion, merely recognition of stimulus. the idea that an autonomous vehicle is about as slow at signal processing as a human is ridiculous.

according to nvidia, they can do the processing at 30fps. that's 33ms reaction time, or able to react to something appearing in its sensors within 2 feet at the speed this car was going when it hit the pedestrian.

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/deep-learning-self-driving-cars/

and their self-driving car is probably not as far along in development as uber's was (also, this tech is approximately 2 years old now!)

as i said before, if the car was not malfunctioning, it would have attempted to stop. a human walking a bike across a street cannot suddenly appear with no time for the car to react in a non-failure state. it's just not possible for humans to move that quick in 33ms

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Police Say Uber Is Likely Not at Fault for Its Self-Driving Car Fatality in Arizona
http://fortune.com/2018/03/19/uber-self-driving-car-crash/
https://www.sfchronicle.com/busines...m_medium=social