Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
Yeah, I am not my employers IT person. We contract IT out to a company but things that we can do ourselves we try to do to save money. Our IT people mark up the cost for any hardware and software so it is often cheaper to do it ourselves.

I can't speak for my employer but I became aware of MU from them in 2011 or so. Yes, our EMR meets MU criteria for 2013 and 2014 updates will be released soon. We are a small office not affiliated with a hospital like most groups in the area, so its not like we have a dedicated MU person or anything to get every piece of news CMS releases.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For a programming class, my teammate and I are using Dropbox to store our code (and all the associated Visual Studio baggage). For some reason, one of the files is missing a line when he views it, but it's fine for me (either in VS or a text editor). What could be causing this, and how can we fix it?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

hooah posted:

For a programming class, my teammate and I are using Dropbox to store our code (and all the associated Visual Studio baggage). For some reason, one of the files is missing a line when he views it, but it's fine for me (either in VS or a text editor). What could be causing this, and how can we fix it?

Is he viewing the file from the cache? Force refresh for VS is Ctrl+Alt+Enter I think. (In the browser it's Ctrl+F5 for Windows, Command+R for Mac).

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

hooah posted:

Don't use Dropbox for code sharing. You should use source control like git, Mercurial or Team Foundation Server. You can host git and Mercurial at Bitbucket or TFS and git at Visual Studio online. You are going to run into headaches if the two of you are modifying code at the same time using Dropbox.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

gariig posted:

Don't use Dropbox for code sharing. You should use source control like git, Mercurial or Team Foundation Server. You can host git and Mercurial at Bitbucket or TFS and git at Visual Studio online. You are going to run into headaches if the two of you are modifying code at the same time using Dropbox.

I'd originally started trying to use TFS or git, but they both seemed too complicated for me to figure out and then explain to him. And we did indeed discover that we can't both modify code at the same time with the current solution!

But that's somewhat irrelevant, since we're finishing up the second-to-last project, so I'd rather not switch workflows at this point.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
Anyone good with excel? I have been racking my brain all day at this.
I've got a column (A) that has a bunch of order numbers:

OFC-00111
OFC-00241
OFC-00255.3
OFC-00444.1
OFC-00444.2
OFC-00444.3
OFC-00671

etc

I want to pull in all the orders but ONLY keep the ones that have the highest decimal place when they repeat. SO in this case I want to keep this data:
OFC-00111
OFC-00241
OFC-00255.3
OFC-00444.3
OFC-00671

How the HELL do I do this? I'm killing myself here.

edit: notice that sometimes there is an order that has a decimal that doesn't exist without a incremental decimal. IE OFC-00255.3 is the first an only occurrence of that number. There is no OFC-00255 or OFC-00255.1 etc

simcole fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 18, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I'd originally started trying to use TFS or git, but they both seemed too complicated for me to figure out and then explain to him. And we did indeed discover that we can't both modify code at the same time with the current solution!

But that's somewhat irrelevant, since we're finishing up the second-to-last project, so I'd rather not switch workflows at this point.

Hahaha, I figured it out. My idiot partner was looking at a different file where we hadn't written that code yet. Holy poo poo.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

simcole posted:

OFC-00111
OFC-00241
OFC-00255.3
OFC-00444.1
OFC-00444.2
OFC-00444.3
OFC-00671

etc

I want to pull in all the orders but ONLY keep the ones that have the highest decimal place when they repeat. SO in this case I want to keep this data:
OFC-00111
OFC-00241
OFC-00255.3
OFC-00444.3
OFC-00671

edit: notice that sometimes there is an order that has a decimal that doesn't exist without a incremental decimal. IE OFC-00255.3 is the first an only occurrence of that number. There is no OFC-00255 or OFC-00255.1 etc

A VBA Macro will probably be the least headache inducing way to do this, if you can manage that. I'm not sure how I'd approach it with just excel formulas, but I'm sure it's doable.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
Is it possible to force a certain file type to be viewed in pane in IE8?

A few months back we finally upgraded to windows 7 and IE8. Prior to this we were on XP and IE7. We have an internal site that generates a .cfg file and if I clicked on it, it would open in IE7 which is what I want it to do now as it's just plain text.The file type was associated with notepad but it only opened it in notepad if I had saved the file and opened it from explorer.

Now in IE8, it seems to force it to open with the default program. I tried changing the file association to IE8 but if I do that it ends up in a loop, as in I click on it, hit open, then it comes back up with the save/open dialog again. Hit open and comes back with the save/open dialog.

The reason I'm needing this is because when I need to print this up, the formatting is completely hosed if it's printed from notepad, word, etc but it's perfect if it's printed from IE.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

orinth posted:

The reason I'm needing this is because when I need to print this up, the formatting is completely hosed if it's printed from notepad, word, etc but it's perfect if it's printed from IE.
If this is some sort of situation where it's about unix vs. windows linebreaks and the like, I'd just take the path of the least resistance and set it to open by default in a better text editor, like Notepad++ or something else where you can pick the encoding manually if necessary.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 19, 2014

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I'm looking for ways to improve the way our employees transfer files to/from our network drives when they're not in the office. Transferring tons of photos over the VPN takes forever and bogs our connection. We're a construction company, so we have jobs that go up and down in somewhat short spans - 6-12 months typically, sometimes longer for large projects.

Can I use DFS to replicate the needed shares (or say, specifically just their project folder) to a small/cheap server on-site securely and effectively while throttling bandwidth? It's been a while since I've toyed with DFS and I haven't ever set it up. Our file server is currently running 2003; would it be beneficial to move to 2008 or 2012 for DFS features? This would alleviate issues for job-sites, which is the main concern, but it wouldn't help people working from home, etc.

Should I be looking more towards a cloud based solution that replicates our file servers? Bottom line is the data needs to get from the field to the office so that it's backed up and replicated, however I'm trying to find the best solution that doesn't destroy our bandwidth.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

goobernoodles posted:

I'm looking for ways to improve the way our employees transfer files to/from our network drives when they're not in the office. Transferring tons of photos over the VPN takes forever and bogs our connection. We're a construction company, so we have jobs that go up and down in somewhat short spans - 6-12 months typically, sometimes longer for large projects.

Can I use DFS to replicate the needed shares (or say, specifically just their project folder) to a small/cheap server on-site securely and effectively while throttling bandwidth? It's been a while since I've toyed with DFS and I haven't ever set it up. Our file server is currently running 2003; would it be beneficial to move to 2008 or 2012 for DFS features? This would alleviate issues for job-sites, which is the main concern, but it wouldn't help people working from home, etc.

Should I be looking more towards a cloud based solution that replicates our file servers? Bottom line is the data needs to get from the field to the office so that it's backed up and replicated, however I'm trying to find the best solution that doesn't destroy our bandwidth.

FTPS on a dedicated server?

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

WorkingStiff posted:

FTPS on a dedicated server?
Could you elaborate a bit as to what you're envisioning? FTPS server at the office to allow for throttling? That wouldn't alleviate the slow transfers though. Users would still need to sit and wait for things to transfer, correct?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

goobernoodles posted:

Could you elaborate a bit as to what you're envisioning? FTPS server at the office to allow for throttling? That wouldn't alleviate the slow transfers though. Users would still need to sit and wait for things to transfer, correct?

What are the average size files and quantity? I'm assuming it's a large amount, since you've not mentioned any of the out of the box cloud file sharing programs and since it's evidently saturating your bandwidth. An FTP server (or FTPS if you need the security) could be set up on-site and users would just sync folders with the server wherever it's hosted. You could host it off-site and then have the folders sync to your location at night or off peak times.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Usually hundreds of photos; teaching construction guys to compress their photos before transferring is something I've been attempting for a while but more often than not they transfer photos directly from the camera. Nothing too crazy like massive CAD files or anything like that.

I didn't mention any specific cloud software because I wasn't sure if any of them could integrate with an existing file server for this purpose; but there's got to be. If there's a cost effective plug and play software out there that would sync either our entire file server or just specific folders for specific users/groups to the cloud, and allow for background syncing, I think that is the simplest way to go. Just not sure what's recommended or available.

e: Maybe something like Druva?

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 19, 2014

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

simcole posted:

OFC-00111
OFC-00241
OFC-00255.3
OFC-00444.1
OFC-00444.2
OFC-00444.3
OFC-00671

etc

OFC-00111
OFC-00241
OFC-00255.3
OFC-00444.3
OFC-00671

Copy the data to a new column, then with the new column use Data >> text to columns, split it at the decimal? Then you can sort the data to your hearts content, highlight duplicates on the now decimal-free column (conditional formatting), and delete rows as needed.

As long as your data is standardized it should work. I am an Excel wizard :science:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

goobernoodles posted:

Usually hundreds of photos; teaching construction guys to compress their photos before transferring is something I've been attempting for a while but more often than not they transfer photos directly from the camera. Nothing too crazy like massive CAD files or anything like that.

I didn't mention any specific cloud software because I wasn't sure if any of them could integrate with an existing file server for this purpose; but there's got to be. If there's a cost effective plug and play software out there that would sync either our entire file server or just specific folders for specific users/groups to the cloud, and allow for background syncing, I think that is the simplest way to go. Just not sure what's recommended or available.

Google drive does this fairly well
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2374992?hl=en;

I mean google is obviously going to index those files but for the price of 10bucks a month for a TB it's really good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

goobernoodles posted:

Honestly, it sounds like a cloud solution is your best bet. Anything you do based on the central server is going to require you to throttle the connection anyway, whereas if you use some kind of cloud storage, if the remote site has decent upstream at least there will be a full copy somewhere that can then be trickled down to the server. The choice of provider will most likely be a matter of data size/cost/security stance.

I know practically nothing about DFS than what I've read about on this forum though, so grain of salt and all that.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

goobernoodles posted:

You might have better luck asking in the the enterprise thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327309

May be worthwhile to look at something like branch cache as well.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
In some games my GPU behaves a little odd. I get a decent enough framerate, but in a consistent rate the game is a little choppy. Like every half second it hangs for a very short time. It's not much, but it's noticable and very annoying. Any ideas?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Boz0r posted:

In some games my GPU behaves a little odd. I get a decent enough framerate, but in a consistent rate the game is a little choppy. Like every half second it hangs for a very short time. It's not much, but it's noticable and very annoying. Any ideas?

What are your tempatures?

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Maybe this is dumb, and possibly belongs in the enterprise thread.. But I'd like to log into my own Win7 computer using RPD, that is I wanna RPD into localhost, in order to login with an account that has different rights. I got as far as connecting to 127.0.0.2 but then it says the number of connections are limited and everyone are in use at the time. Any clue where I can set the amount of allowed connections?

I guess I could just use switch user but it feels like just RPD'ing as another user would be a lot smoother for small stuff.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Boz0r posted:

sounds like either temperatures or DPC latency to me. Make sure all your drivers are up to date, especially networking, and check temps as the above poster said

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

His Divine Shadow posted:

Maybe this is dumb, and possibly belongs in the enterprise thread.. But I'd like to log into my own Win7 computer using RPD, that is I wanna RPD into localhost, in order to login with an account that has different rights. I got as far as connecting to 127.0.0.2 but then it says the number of connections are limited and everyone are in use at the time. Any clue where I can set the amount of allowed connections?

I guess I could just use switch user but it feels like just RPD'ing as another user would be a lot smoother for small stuff.

Non-server versions of windows aren't intended to allow multiple people to be using it at the same time in the way that you want. RDPing in locks the console.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Macrium Reflect is the oft-repeated answer to cloning and imaging. There's a free version.
Just chiming back in to say that this worked great. I was able to backup like 300gb+ in under 2 hours and have it stored to my external usb drive.

Then I did it on my winxp machine that has like 700gb and no usb 3 :suicide:. Took 23 hours.

I might look into getting the paid version so I can do incremental backups. It works very nicely! And I can explore the image as a mounted drive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Maneki Neko posted:

Non-server versions of windows aren't intended to allow multiple people to be using it at the same time in the way that you want. RDPing in locks the console.

Got it working with a patch though that enabled it and it works well, but maybe I've also just installed a trojan in my PC or something too:
http://www.serverwatch.com/server-tutorials/how-to-enable-concurrent-remote-desktop-sessions-in-windows.html

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got it working with a patch though that enabled it and it works well, but maybe I've also just installed a trojan in my PC or something too:
http://www.serverwatch.com/server-tutorials/how-to-enable-concurrent-remote-desktop-sessions-in-windows.html

Yeah, that's the other option, although it violates the EULA. That said, for home use no one is going to give a poo poo.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I want to change from Windows 7 32-bit to 64-bit. Is this even possible anymore? I can't even find a way to buy Windows 7 on the Microsoft site, and all of the information on there is about upgrading.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Grab Digital River image for your language corresponding to Windows 7 [license edition] x64 SP1 U (media refresh), Rufus it to a flash drive, install with x86 license key it doesn't care about architectures.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Is Rufus a better alternative to http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ ?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Not even remotely. You linked to a live-image maker. Rufus replaces basically all other boot disk makers (like UNetBootIn or Linux Live USB Creator or UBCD or ... I guess you could get Universal USB Installer from your link but that's not how your post reads).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Why would you use any of those when Microsoft has their own completely free tool for creating proper bootable flash drives out of official Windows ISOs?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Show me Microsoft's tool for creating a Windows 7 flash drive that will install to GPT partitions.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Not even remotely. You linked to a live-image maker. Rufus replaces basically all other boot disk makers (like UNetBootIn or Linux Live USB Creator or UBCD or ... I guess you could get Universal USB Installer from your link but that's not how your post reads).

I've used PenDriveLinux in the past to make a bootable USB flash drive that had Acronis, PartedMagic and some random thing like SSD firmware. When you booted into it you were given a menu and you could choose which one you ran. I thought that Rufus might be something similar after just glancing at the site quickly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Show me Microsoft's tool for creating a Windows 7 flash drive that will install to GPT partitions.

My current laptop uses GPT partitioning, and I used the official windows 7 USB tool to create the install media I used.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Must be nice.

When I use that tool, I get this screen, and I've gotten this screen in XP, 7 and 8; years-old environments and fresh installs:

Now I do the 'bootsect' command myself, and it works well enough. (I have to add extra flags if I'm using the tool from Windows 8, but considering it was never meant for Windows 8, I won't hold that against the tool.) And then I boot and it refuses to install to a GPT drive with existing partitions. One with no partitions sure but it'll convert it back to MBR. And the helplink on the app provides nothing useful for this situation.

I can pull off a UEFI install if I do the copying myself, but then I have to pull the EFI boot stuff from an existing x64 Windows 7 or the install.wim (in other words, this stuff).

Or I just feed Rufus the image, or any valid Windows 7 image (like the ones I linked just upthread), point it at my flash drive and tell it to do UEFI/GPT, and it works just fine the first time.

Now, maybe you have a different motherboard from me; Asus P8Z77-M Pros (and before I bought that one to replace one that died from an apparently botched firmware release, MSI Z68MA-ED55s) only give you a UEFI option on simple filesystems if it sees /EFI/Boot, otherwise it'll boot the flash drive in BIOS compatibility mode and I just have to deal.

And before you ask, the images I've been using were one from MSDN AA back when that was a thing and still matches its checksums, and one from the link and which also matched its checksums. Maybe they just don't work with that tool; I don't know.

EDIT: Maybe I was wrong; I left out the word 'reliably' in my reply to you the first time, and for that I apologize. Alternately, I won't ignore that the official tool exists, but that's an OP reasonable alternatives / standards compliance thing, not a 'help me thread I need this rig up now' thing.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I've used PenDriveLinux in the past to make a bootable USB flash drive that had Acronis, PartedMagic and some random thing like SSD firmware. When you booted into it you were given a menu and you could choose which one you ran. I thought that Rufus might be something similar after just glancing at the site quickly.

Fair enough. Pen Drive Linux is rather more versatile. Rufus is more 'do one thing well in as many places as that one thing is enough to do the job'.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 24, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Woo thanks for linking Rufus. I will be installing Win 7 again soon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to open certain programs if a given one is opened? For instance, if I open SSH, I'm probably going to want Xming and KeePass open as well. If it makes a difference, I use Launchy all the time.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Couple failing drive/data recovery questions.

I'm a desktop tech we have a policy of "best effort" by us to recover data from a failing drive, after that your dept pays for 3rd party recovery. You should've backed it up. (we don't have any type of seamless thing for people, just a home drive but they all save to mydocs)

My best effort is usually plugging the drive into a usb/sata bridge on my own pc and trying to copy. We have "ontrack data recovery pro" app too but it has never done poo poo for me except one time years back.

Anything more could I be doing than my current best effort without spending lots of time or money my boss doesn't want me doing? some type of imaging? These are all bitlocker fulldisk encrypted.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
If the drive is recognizable by disk management, then I'd give R-Studio a shot. You're SOL if the drive is bad off enough it isn't recognized by Windows. Not sure how R-Studio would handle BitLocker though.