Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The hobbit movies were really bad. Kiiiiiiind of competently made but there were so many baffling directions it took

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I think 2 of the 3 LotR movies were also bad.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG-c8DtOm9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnKbM9Zxtn8

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zzulu posted:

The hobbit movies were really bad. Kiiiiiiind of competently made but there were so many baffling directions it took

i was not a fan of the LotR movies but I had read The Hobbit as a kid and the first trailer I saw looked interesting enough that I thought I might enjoy going to see them in theaters. Then they announced that they were turning the planned two movies into three movies and I deduced that they were not looking for people like me, they were looking for the people who sat through all of the LotR movies and then marathoned them when the extended editions came out, so I never saw them. I feel pretty confident that I made the right call.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OK, I'm intrigued by Gringo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That gringo trailer had me click out of boredom halfway thru. And the Chappiquidick one made me roll my eyes at another boomer nostalgia period piece.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DC Murderverse posted:

i was not a fan of the LotR movies but I had read The Hobbit as a kid and the first trailer I saw looked interesting enough that I thought I might enjoy going to see them in theaters. Then they announced that they were turning the planned two movies into three movies and I deduced that they were not looking for people like me, they were looking for the people who sat through all of the LotR movies and then marathoned them when the extended editions came out, so I never saw them. I feel pretty confident that I made the right call.

I am the guy that sat through every version of LotR in the theater. Then at home. Then at home again with the extended versions. And loved every second of all of it.

The Hobbit was still terrible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think 2 of the 3 LotR movies were also bad.

I think 1/2 of the Lord of the Rings trilogy was bad. But it's scattered around throughout the films.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BonoMan posted:

I am the guy that sat through every version of LotR in the theater. Then at home. Then at home again with the extended versions. And loved every second of all of it.

The Hobbit was still terrible.
The making ofs on the bluray sets of The Hobbit are brutally honest about the nightmare that they were to make.
PJ was rushed and he couldn't get anything to work the way it should within the time constraints so that's why there's so much awful CGI in them.

Definitely a case of studio interference of the worst kind, I'm able to cut him some slack... I'm sure if it was done the way he wanted it'd be either one or two movies without any of the stupid pace killing extraneous poo poo.

I think there's some fan edits out there that actually turn it into a pretty decent 3 or 4 hour long movie but I forgot the name of them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I think 1/2 of the Lord of the Rings trilogy was bad. But it's scattered around throughout the films.

^^ yeah, I can't remember the name of the edit either.

There's a fan edit out there that combines all the movies into a single 3 1/2 hour movie.

A lot of non-essential dialog is cut, the pacing is tightened up, and probably more than 90% of non-book material is removed. There's a transition as it moves from Movie 1 material to Movie 2 material that's a bit jarring, but it's a lot better than the originals.

Still not saying much, but it's at least watchable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shageletic posted:

And the Chappiquidick one made me roll my eyes at another boomer nostalgia period piece.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Proteus Jones posted:

There's a fan edit out there that combines all the movies into a single 3 1/2 hour movie.

A lot of non-essential dialog is cut, the pacing is tightened up, and probably more than 90% of non-book material is removed. There's a transition as it moves from Movie 1 material to Movie 2 material that's a bit jarring, but it's a lot better than the originals.

Actually just found it, ha, not sure if it's kosher to link it here but just look up Maple Films The Hobbit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Unfortunately, the length isn't my issue, it's the tone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah once I hit the barrel escape scene in Hobbit 2 I realized there was no coming back.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The worst part of the hobbit movies is that they cut out Bilbo's protest of the battle of five armies and instead of sitting it out he's running around doing bullshit the whole time. It sucks.

The cartoon from the seventies is like 70 minutes long and still kicks rear end, just watch that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think The Fellowship of the Ring is good (despite a few bizarre scenes), and that everything Sir Peter Jackson's put out since ranges from disappointing to outright garbage.

I want him to go away.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

I think The Fellowship of the Ring is good (despite a few bizarre scenes), and that everything Sir Peter Jackson's put out since ranges from disappointing to outright garbage.

I want him to go away.

It probably helps that Fellowship was the best book in the series too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It probably helps that Fellowship was the best book in the series too.

I think Jackson did real damage to Tolkein's intent with both TTT and RotK by moving the Shelob sequence to the third movie. It irrevocably fucks up the pacing and significance of both stories and renders them nearly unwatchable. It truncates TTT into a lame, soulless big battle movie, and extends Rotk's monotony in very artificial ways.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 21, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jeez you put Shelob in the first movie and that's far and away the best.

The biggest crime for me was removing The Scouring of the Shire and this is from someone who openly mocked people upset about losing Tom Bombadil.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think Jackson did real damage to Tolkein's intent with both TTT and RotK by moving the Shelob sequence to the third movie. It irrevocably fucks up the pacing and significance of both stories and renders them nearly unwatchable. It truncates TTT into a lame, soulless big battle movie, and extends Rotk's monotony in very artificial ways.

At the risk of starting a derail, I can understand pacing, but what changes in the significance because of the altered structure?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I like pretty much everything Jackson has done except for The Hobbit films, which he admitted were mediocre due to fast deadlines and studio interference.

This is a hilariously bad opinion from top to bottom.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

At the risk of starting a derail, I can understand pacing, but what changes in the significance because of the altered structure?

By moving Shelob it lengthens Helms Deep to a point where it's basically the main event of the entire trilogy and it destroys the 'all is lost' ending of TTT book, which in turn frontloads RotK while removing a major redemptive arc of Rotk. It also leaves no room in RotK for 'Scouring' which is sort of a big deal thematically.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

viral spiral posted:

This is a hilariously bad opinion from top to bottom.

k

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

By moving Shelob it lengthens Helms Deep to a point where it's basically the main event of the entire trilogy and it destroys the 'all is lost' ending of TTT book, which in turn frontloads RotK while removing a major redemptive arc of Rotk. It also leaves no room in RotK for 'Scouring' which is sort of a big deal thematically.

I actually agree with this. The end of the TTT should have had the rug pulled out from under the Helms Deep victory and had it end with a gut punch. Frodo gets envenomed by Shelob, cue foaming mouth, collapse, fade to credits.

RoTK can start with Sam chasing Shelob back into her lair, and then discovering Frodo is still very much alive with the audience.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well let's be honest. The real crime was King Kong.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

kiimo posted:

Can't be convicted because of that V-Rex/Kong brawl.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Can't be convicted because of that V-Rex/Kong brawl.

Some amazing scenes but man it was like a marathon. Like is Kong still ice skating?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That bug pit scene's gonna be with me til I die.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vagabundo posted:

Peter Jackson hasn't done anything worth a poo poo since 1996.

Tintin.

*micdrop*

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wish I could like Tintin. I really do.

But Captain Haddock is maybe the most obnoxious character I've ever seen on screen and Tintin is a blank slate. It's a chore to watch them, especially since the story zips along at the sort of breathless speed that never lets you slow down and breathe and get to know the characters as anything more than plot devices. And every single thing in the script is so contrived and built on dumb luck and coincidence that it's painful to watch. Things happen because the plot requires them to, not because of character motivations or plot setup. The entire payoff of Haddock's story with Red Rackham, the fight, and the treasure was the most convenient bullshit I've ever seen in a major feature film.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 21, 2017

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

By moving Shelob it lengthens Helms Deep to a point where it's basically the main event of the entire trilogy

haha what in the gently caress?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

viral spiral posted:

haha what in the gently caress?

k

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Krazyface posted:

That bug pit scene's gonna be with me til I die.

Andy Serkis' end in that scene is still the most disturbing death I think I've watched in a movie. That plus the eerie music and I'm right there with you.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33dztfqRu_k

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcSMdhfKga4

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kiimo posted:

king kong rules

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

king kong rules

Sure does, just not his version of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's fine. Great in places but overall fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

scary ghost dog posted:

king kong rules

Sure does, just not his version of it.

Yeah it took us a bit longer to get to "He's King around here!"

• Locked thread