Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

wasn't he starting on the 5th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Boxturret posted:

wasn't he starting on the 5th?

hes still gonna die

for those wondering, yes he has mental illness, yes he is a goon, and most importantly he posted an e/n thread which he abandoned after people refused to support his self imposed suicidal death march

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
doesn't he know that crazy is an abelist word??

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

cool they moved and reopened the thread

will be watching that closely

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

don't people walk across the country all the time

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
walking across the country is not a death march unless you dont plan ahead for texas/nevada

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

walking across the country is not a death march unless you dont plan ahead for texas/nevada

he isnt and hes probably gonnna run out of meds around then

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/quadwolf/quadra-wolf-studios

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i'm the 87 minute long kickstarter video

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well, video is a strong word for it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

aim so low no one will even care if you succeed
-m. simpson

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol at y'all talking about depression like it's quadriplegia or some poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

he's underprepared and overeager for sure but it sucks that he's being attacked for a totally treatable and managed condition

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

he's underprepared and overeager for sure but it sucks that he's being attacked for a totally treatable and managed condition

huh i thought people just noticed that he said he was on medication and he wouldn't be able to carry enough for the journey?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

he's not climbing Everest, he'll pass dozens of pharmacies

or if his insurance lets him, he could get a 90 day supply

and no one was being nearly that respectful or understanding about it, in either thread

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

and no one was being nearly that respectful or understanding about it, in either thread

please look at the thread because it seems like he's in a manic state and his ability to plan ahead is severely limited.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hello goon 21

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

please look at the thread because it seems like he's in a manic state and his ability to plan ahead is severely limited.

that's not what a manic state looks like

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

that's not what a manic state looks like
he claims he's "literally lived on pizza, hamburgers, hotwings and chips [his] entire life" so it's just brain problems due to malnourishment

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
so if i'm reading that right he was about to literally hike across arizona, new mexico, and texas through the summer before some goons told him he'd get heat stroke, at which point he said "oh i guess so" and decided to instead hike the adt (adding several hundred miles) literally 2 weeks before he literally has to start because he will be literally homeless. he spends page after page in the thread insisting he's totally prepared when less than 3 weeks before the trip he completely changed the route because he hadn't considered just how bad hiking through the southwest in the summer was. his walk is to "raise awareness for mental illness" but that's literally the only time he ever mentions it so i'm not sure what his actual plan is (talk to people along the way i guess??). most goons give him the typical "you're literally going to die" like you'd expect but he gets a bunch of legitimately compassionate answers that also tell him this is a bad idea, which he also blows off because he "has to do this"

i'm sort of just speechless, to be honest

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Vicas posted:

so if i'm reading that right he was about to literally hike across arizona, new mexico, and texas through the summer before some goons told him he'd get heat stroke, at which point he said "oh i guess so" and quietly changed is route and decided to instead hike the adt

ftfy

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
lol yeah, never actually admits that maybe he shouldn't walk through the desert, just says "i guess i'm doing the adt now"

also really wants to bring a toy gun along so he can be a tough guy if he gets robbed

i mean honestly if he made this thread and said he was doing this 6 months/a year from now i don't think anyone would really have a problem with it but the way he talks about it it feels like his lease was coming up in a month and he decided "eh gently caress it"

i sort of can't stop reading the thread because it's fascinating, in a sad way

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vicas posted:

i'm sort of just speechless, to be honest

obviously not

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Subjunctive posted:

obviously not

fair

oh yeah, he also doesn't want to do actual mental health volunteer work because most orgs he's looked at are "bland"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"dude, you're gonna die" is precisely the sort of advice he needs because when you have people who live there saying this is the worst goddamn idea stop what the hell, you can't soft pitch it. that one guy who makes his living making sure clients like the op doesn't die on excursions like this broke down his "plan" into a step-by-step recipe for leaving a dessicated corpse in the american southwest.

none of this is addressed and we're all at this point expecting either complete failure because he realizes on day two that all this walking is too uncomfortable for his unfit, sedentary white rear end, or he dies at the foothills of the continental divide from exhaustion/exposure/violent crime/animal attack/any number of lethal hazards jesus christ

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

that one guy who makes his living making sure clients like the op doesn't die on excursions like this broke down his "plan" into a step-by-step recipe for leaving a dessicated corpse in the american southwest.

don't suppose you've got a link to that one particular post have you? when i stopped reading the trad it was still just back and forth "you're going to die because of x"/"no i'll be fine against x because i'll have y" with y expanding to the point that he was going to use a shopping trolley or something

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

don't suppose you've got a link to that one particular post have you? when i stopped reading the trad it was still just back and forth "you're going to die because of x"/"no i'll be fine against x because i'll have y" with y expanding to the point that he was going to use a shopping trolley or something

you should read the whole thread. in between all the "you're going to die op" and "do it op i believe in you(i want to see you die)" there's a few really good posts about mental health and hiking

the specific post may be this one

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 10, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

you should read the whole thread. in between all the "you're going to die op" and "do it op i believe in you(i want to see you die)" there's a few really good posts about mental health and hiking

the specific post may be this one

lol holy poo poo i hadn't seen the "loadout" post either

dude sounds exactly like the kind of people you see on the local news in wales and scotland who need rescuing off the side of a mountain (read: small hill by us standards) with a helicopter two hours into a "hike", that dude will be lucky to make it to the start of his hike let alone the end

(i don't actually object to the idea itself; an acquaintance of mine did lands end to john o'groats in similar circumstances and it did his sadbrains a world of good, however that's 500 miles in temperate weather with not much but some hills (and some irate sheep) in your way, and never being more than a few miles from somewhere he could pick up food and water. that stuff he has wouldn't even get him that far though.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

personally I give him odds of: 20% he makes it all or most of the way, 77% he gives up a couple days in, 3% he actually dies or gets seriously injured

you never know how someone will respond to an actual challenge; humans are incredibly resilient. I'm not really worried by his supply choices either: he'll adjust by buying new things on the trip or he'll give up. sure the roads will be pretty lonely, but again it's not like he's in some completely inaccessible wilderness

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
surely he's going to have to walk a considerable distance just to get to somewhere dangerous

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

yes, he's gotta walk at least past, say, sacramento to get into real wilderness. but that's still 200 miles of schlepping a ton of supplies that are ill-suited for the trip. his timetable is completely unrealistic and would require 20 mile days, every day, for a month to just get out of california. this is a nontrivial level of exertion and lol if you think you'll just "human willpower" your way through it. i'll amend my prediction to include, now that he's got mommy and daddy involved, the probability that several "miraculous" displacements take place where he moves across a state completely unexplained okay its easily explained by the parents hiring someone to drive him but he wont cop to it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

kw0134 posted:

yes, he's gotta walk at least past, say, sacramento to get into real wilderness. but that's still 200 miles of schlepping a ton of supplies that are ill-suited for the trip. his timetable is completely unrealistic and would require 20 mile days, every day, for a month to just get out of california. this is a nontrivial level of exertion and lol if you think you'll just "human willpower" your way through it. i'll amend my prediction to include, now that he's got mommy and daddy involved, the probability that several "miraculous" displacements take place where he moves across a state completely unexplained okay its easily explained by the parents hiring someone to drive him but he wont cop to it

20 miles a day really isn't particularly unrealistic. he could probably do like 5-10 mile days while he gets into shape but he could be hitting 20 mile days easily by the first month.

i probably have as much experience doing long term backcountry stints as the goon who posted in that thread. i've seen people show up for this kind of thing totally unprepared. most of the time, they realize their mistakes and become prepared/acclimated very quickly. this guy isn't going to go 0 to desert in 1 day: he'll have plenty of time to figure out wtf he needs to get rid of and fix before he dies in the desert.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

that requires some level of introspection, which he's been incredibly aggressive about not pursuing. mix in his actual mental health issues for which he's taking medication, the kindest outcome is he gives up while still in view of san francisco and gets an uber ride to the airport to use some of his funds earmarked for charity to buy the first plane ticket out to florida. it's kind of hard to make adjustments on the fly when the entire plan is ill-conceived, the scope of the project is so vast, and the person involved literally might not be in the correct state of mind to properly process decisions that will heighten success.

like, i sincerely hope he fails in such a way that only causes embarrassment and a silly story to tell people thirty years later because given the evidence his prospects for success are really really poor.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i like how people in that thread treated heatstroke like it was just extra-bad sunburn

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

i like how people in that thread treated heatstroke like it was just extra-bad sunburn

the guide guy knows what's up

also all the people who live down there, but i haven't been reading the dumb thread so idk

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

20 miles a day really isn't particularly unrealistic. he could probably do like 5-10 mile days while he gets into shape but he could be hitting 20 mile days easily by the first month.
that's assuming he doesn't gently caress up his feet, he's going to get nasty blisters and then try to willpower through them

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

anthonypants posted:

that's assuming he doesn't gently caress up his feet, he's going to get nasty blisters and then try to willpower through them

like, my job literally used to be taking kids from the suburbs and inner city and forcing them to hike 10-20 miles a day at elevation, for 6 months.

you can absolutely push through blisters from walking for 10-20 miles a day. you can push through bleeding feet and end up fine. you probably shouldn't but no one is going to die from walking 20 loving miles per day. well, some people might if they're really unlucky. this guy could be unlucky, it could happen, and he's absolutely taking a risk by attempting this.

but it's not some impossible insane thing.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Yeah but he's talking about walking anything from 2200 (the shortest distance between his start and end points) to 3000 (assuming he walks a large portion of the ADT before veering down to Florida) miles. At 20 miles a day the fastest he can accomplish this is 110 days or nearly 4 months. Do you think the average schlubby, sadbrain goon could get up from his computer desk and walk 20 miles a day, every day for four months, without dying or burning out spectacularly along the way?

e - and there's a big difference between walking '10 to 20 miles a day' and 'you have to walk at least 20 miles every day or you risk falling massively behind schedule'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the least stupid way to do what he wants to do is to buy a loving bicycle.

• Locked thread