Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sony's stream schedule for today. Highlights are probably the Ace Combat 7 demo and saving the best for last with Patapon

Was all ready to watch some sweet Spider-Man action during lunch.

But no, it's 12:30 pm PST. PST!!! Not only a Provincial Sales Tax but also the bane of my E3-watching experience. Oh, how I loathe those three letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I hate how short each presentation is too, I'm barely going to make it home in time for the patapon demo and I might miss it. If I do i'm going to be mashing f5 on the playstation store hoping for a surprise release announcement

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

How about Bethesda fix the Pro version of Skyrim so it doesn't run worse than the base game before they re-release it in VR? Jerkheads.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lol I haven't popped it in since before I got a pro. Does it seriously run worse.

That's really the most concerning thing about Skyrim VR. You can argue whether or not it's worth buying again, I think it'd be worth it. But bethesdas performance track record is so bad, the idea that they are going to be able to get it to run at a constant 60fps (which is literally necessary in VR) seems far fetched to me. Another dev I wouldn't even think about it but these guys have consistently failed to make a console game that runs well for 2 full generations now, and they are going for perfect performance in what will amount to the most demanding VR game yet? On hardware where they already released the normal version on and couldn't get it past 30fps ?Good luck. I'm still cautiously optimistic though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Morby posted:

Uh...Omega Quintet? The Akiba series? Not exactly obscure and it's an MMO, but FFXIV is probably the best written FF game since at least X.

omega quintet was on sale for like two fifty or something one time? it was absolutely no more than five dollars. anyways i got extremely high and bought it and spent the entire duration of being stoned giggling at this weird rear end pop idol rpg. when i sobered up it wasnt really funny anymore and i uninstalled it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

lol I haven't popped it in since before I got a pro. Does it seriously run worse.

That's really the most concerning thing about Skyrim VR. You can argue whether or not it's worth buying again, I think it'd be worth it. But bethesdas performance track record is so bad, the idea that they are going to be able to get it to run at a constant 60fps (which is literally necessary in VR) seems far fetched to me. Another dev I wouldn't even think about it but these guys have consistently failed to make a console game that runs well for 2 full generations now, and they are going for perfect performance in what will amount to the most demanding VR game yet? On hardware where they already released the normal version on and couldn't get it past 30fps ?Good luck. I'm still cautiously optimistic though.

They put too many alpha effects in some scenes that dip the fps but on the whole its the same bag of poo poo as always

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I know I say this all the time but Fallout 4 had the worst performance of literally any game I've ever played on PS4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

They put too many alpha effects in some scenes that dip the fps but on the whole its the same bag of poo poo as always

Not coincidentally, toned-down magic effects are one of the most noticeable graphics changes in reports from demos of Skyrim VR.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
That HZD expansion is 15 bucks with a PS+ subscription. 20 otherwise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I know I say this all the time but Fallout 4 had the worst performance of literally any game I've ever played on PS4

This isn't surprising, the thing absolutely chugged on my competent PC despite not looking very good, to the point of sometimes taking 20 goddamn seconds to load a gun because I had not equipped it in the last 2 minutes

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So it was only announced for PSVR in the pre-show but both VR and regular versions of SUPERHOT are coming to PS4.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Policenaut posted:

So it was only announced for PSVR in the pre-show but both VR and regular versions of SUPERHOT are coming to PS4.

Oh, nice! Was just saying to a colleague little while back that that's one game I missed playing because I only have a PS4.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

hmm

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Should I get HZD or Nioh?

I like good combat systems like in souls games and Nioh definitely seems to have that. Also I'm not huge fan of collecting and upgrading stuff which I guess both of these games have. The world and story of HZD seems more interesting to me than Nioh's.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

horizon

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nioh combat is alright but it relies on a loot system heavily so you are better off with Horizon.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Get Nier Automata

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I haven't played Nioh beyond the demo, but yeah I'm pretty sure Horizon has the much more engaging story. Its combat is more ranged based but has a lot of tools and is fairly deep once you've got all the options available. Definitely some upgrading, but it's mostly just to expand your ammo carrying capacity. I say go for that one.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I get Horizon, thanks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Regy Rusty posted:

I haven't played Nioh beyond the demo, but yeah I'm pretty sure Horizon has the much more engaging story. Its combat is a more ranged based but has a lot of tools and is fairly deep once you've got all the options available. Definitely some upgrading, but it's mostly just to expand your ammo carrying capacity. I say go for that one.

Nioh story isn't even coherent.

You can't engage with what doesn't exist.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Get HZD.

Nioh is great, but if you want a really great story and not a souls meets diablo mashup, HZD is where it's at.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nioh story isn't even coherent.

Yeah it's what very quickly turned me off the game. I was really looking forward to it but it tells its story really badly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's that bad. It's just a really basic story. It's basically "an Irish guy goes to Zipangu to get his fairy back, and forest gumps his way through the warring states in the process".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nioh has a talking cat.

Horizon does not have a talking cat.

They are both good games though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That's what makes it so incoherent, the plot starts a bunch of random things happen to you and then the plot resolves somehow.

It's the worst story I have seen in a non shovelware game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

I don't think it's that bad. It's just a really basic story. It's basically "an Irish guy goes to Zipangu to get his fairy back, and forest gumps his way through the warring states in the process".

Pretty much. It's all there, it's just not very interesting and mostly just "help samurai during warring states period and fight demons" with little story bits about certain areas tied to Japanese mythology that don't play into the larger narrative but are still neat. The gameplay is the main appeal by far. I personally really enjoyed it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The "story" of Nioh is literally just bare bones reasons for the levels to exist. I actually really like the story, but there isn't much to it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Which is weird if your gonna rip off dark souls take their story structure too, instead of using cutscenes that don't matter for some reason. At least it could have been coherent.

Like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The mission structure bounced me off Nioh personally.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's important because it's also Diablo and you replay missions for loot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't think anyone did that on purpose.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you don't need the story structure of dark souls to make a game like it

maybe the story in nioh is bad, but I don't think making it something you piece together yourself would have helped that any

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

My point is I think that is what they were trying to do, they just did it really badly and had pointless cutscenes for some reason?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
https://gear.playstation.com/en-us/apparel/t-shirts?brand=437

Better be more than tshirts

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CharlestheHammer posted:

My point is I think that is what they were trying to do, they just did it really badly and had pointless cutscenes for some reason?

I think the reason has to do with the fact the game was in development hell for so long. Like maybe at one point, it was more cohesive and story-driven but a lot of that stuff ended up on the cutting room floor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I think the reason has to do with the fact the game was in development hell for so long. Like maybe at one point, it was more cohesive and story-driven but a lot of that stuff ended up on the cutting room floor.

That's probably true.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Still no patapon release date gently caress you Yoshida :negative:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nioh is definitely a game you play for the gameplay. Nier is one you play for the story. Horizon offers both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like the gameplay in nier tbh