Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

unironically give me someone standing there going “evasive maneuvers”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

When thinking about why I was so bored with the one in Episode 9 of Season 3, it was because all of the ships were copy/pasted across the CGI scenes. Even in space battles in Deep Space 9, or Babylon 5, you saw a very wide variety of ships, and these are episodes nearing 30 years old. The Orville space battle is so visually unimpressive and lacking.

Iirc, there's nothing special about the Orville in universe is there? Like it's a standard model of ship used by the not federation? It kind of makes sense in that context if so

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

big black turnout posted:

Iirc, there's nothing special about the Orville in universe is there? Like it's a standard model of ship used by the not federation? It kind of makes sense in that context if so

Yeah, the Orville is basically the Cerritos of its universe ship-class-wise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay I was wondering if I was misremembering from the first episode of the show, I thought the way the Orville was described to Ed was that it wasn't that standout of a ship, in that it was smaller and less technically equipped; so I think my head filled in some blanks that werent really there, that there were other classes of ships of different shapes and sizes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

Okay I was wondering if I was misremembering from the first episode of the show, I thought the way the Orville was described to Ed was that it wasn't that standout of a ship, in that it was smaller and less technically equipped; so I think my head filled in some blanks that werent really there, that there were other classes of ships of different shapes and sizes.

You do see larger and smaller ships at times, Orville is just the median-sized ship between them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I said come in! posted:

There's three ship sizes and that's it
It does feel like with the Union each race has their own model and that's the "human" one.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
They make references a couple times to heavy cruisers, which would be like Galaxy or Sovereign class ships. I believe the Orville is referred to as a light support vessel, which yeah, makes it a California class.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah as I remember season 1 the ship was basically a cali or for old heads Miranda. Nothing special. Mercer, sort of a good natured fuckup, was begrudgingly given the big seat on it with a hitherto cratered career with some pulled strings. It had real lower decks vibes.

Which made it kind of weird in the final season how they quietly ditch that conceit and treat it like the Enterprise D where instead of trouble finding them they're textually the Protagonist Ship that deliberately goes to find it. You get the special secret weapon, you carry out the critical peace talks, you single handedly explore the exciting uncharted expanse of space, etc etc.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah as I remember season 1 the ship was basically a cali or for old heads Miranda. Nothing special. Mercer, sort of a good natured fuckup, was begrudgingly given the big seat on it with a hitherto cratered career with some pulled strings. It had real lower decks vibes.

Which made it kind of weird in the final season how they quietly ditch that conceit and treat it like the Enterprise D where instead of trouble finding them they're textually the Protagonist Ship that deliberately goes to find it. You get the special secret weapon, you carry out the critical peace talks, you single handedly explore the exciting uncharted expanse of space, etc etc.

They got a refit because of the war status and how involved they were. Realistically the senior crew should probably have just been assigned a brand new ship. It's not great but it was addressed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

pixaal posted:

They got a refit because of the war status and how involved they were. Realistically the senior crew should probably have just been assigned a brand new ship. It's not great but it was addressed.

Given the union ships tend have an almost identical layout at different scales, it was a missed gag just to literally scale up the ship and have Mercer pull some strings to keep the names.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

Given the union ships tend have an almost identical layout at different scales, it was a missed gag just to literally scale up the ship and have Mercer pull some strings to keep the names.

Nah, then you lose your iconic ship and that's generally a no-no for a sci-fi series. The refit's the best you can get away with.

pixaal posted:

Yeah by that point the Orville's crew are directly responsible for the Kaylon War and the Moclan issues, with the most experience in handling them both (Least of all because they have Isaac on their crew). They're involved in more prominent missions in season 3, but they are actually the ones best-equipped to deal with them.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm just glad they were important enough to entrust with the reverse-Moclan-species negotiations

https://i.imgur.com/AnhkQfp.mp4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Taear posted:

There's three ship sizes and that's it
It does feel like with the Union each race has their own model and that's the "human" one.

Right, the mistake I made is that I mistook that to mean that the humans had a few of their own ship types, the Orville was just one of a few. But that's not really the case, and it's whatever! It's a super minor lore detail among what is otherwise a really well done and fleshed out world.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think that's accurate. The Orville's been tasked with important missions, and specifically in contrast to the Cerritos, has deliberately taken a first-contact mission (as opposed to Captain Freeman filling in for Captain Gomez at the end of the second season). She's mid-level. She's not the most powerful class of starship in the Union fleet, but she's not outdated and not only a support ship for the rest of the fleet either.

If we really have to find a Federation Starfleet equivalent for the Orville, then maybe something like... an Intrepid-class? With the smaller Union ships being something like a Nova-class?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah it's a lot closer to a Voyager

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Voyager was bleeding edge tech, though. First of the line, with all the issues that caused.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Orville does seem like a ship they test a lot of cutting edge tech on though. The time distortion device, the new moclan shields, the kalon zapping weapon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Orville does seem like a ship they test a lot of cutting edge tech on though. The time distortion device, the new moclan shields, the kalon zapping weapon

They developed the first and third themselves on the ship, the second was a standard fleet-wide upgrade.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think that's accurate. The Orville's been tasked with important missions, and specifically in contrast to the Cerritos, has deliberately taken a first-contact mission (as opposed to Captain Freeman filling in for Captain Gomez at the end of the second season). She's mid-level. She's not the most powerful class of starship in the Union fleet, but she's not outdated and not only a support ship for the rest of the fleet either.

If we really have to find a Federation Starfleet equivalent for the Orville, then maybe something like... an Intrepid-class? With the smaller Union ships being something like a Nova-class?

They are the TNG Excelsiors.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Orville has become one of the most important ships in the fleet, which is pretty cool after they started out being a place to stick people they didn't know what else to do with.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Misfit crews best crews

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LividLiquid posted:

The Orville has become one of the most important ships in the fleet, which is pretty cool after they started out being a place to stick people they didn't know what else to do with.

That kind've fed into it since Isaac was one of those misfits and it turns out that whichever ship got stuck with him was guaranteed to get caught up in top tier important events

I still wonder how things would have turned out if Isaac had been assigned to a bigger ship full of competent officers who aren't constantly drunk, I'm pretty sure the war would have still happened but Isaac wouldn't have been exposed to so much of the inexplicably weird bullshit that humans are capable of which I think might have actually been a big influence on him "going rogue"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That kind've fed into it since Isaac was one of those misfits and it turns out that whichever ship got stuck with him was guaranteed to get caught up in top tier important events

I still wonder how things would have turned out if Isaac had been assigned to a bigger ship full of competent officers who aren't constantly drunk, I'm pretty sure the war would have still happened but Isaac wouldn't have been exposed to so much of the inexplicably weird bullshit that humans are capable of which I think might have actually been a big influence on him "going rogue"

You don't really need to wonder, the alternate timeline at the end of season 2 pretty much spells out how that'd go.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
She’s a utility workhorse. Jack of all trades. Literally a light cruiser. Not built to stand in full on capital ship battles, but can do everything from ferrying diplomats to long range exploration to commerce protection to dropping off much needed VAK SCEEN.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pixaal posted:

Misfit crews best crews

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rappaport posted:

I'm obviously biased, but I felt someone falling in love with a smart phone was gross enough

I appreciated in that episode that when Gordon tried to involve his friends in his fantasy they were all very very creeped out by the whole thing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1686426183490031621

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I can't see the tweet. What is it?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Seth MacFarlane donated $10 billion to recruit people to scab during the strikes.

All kidding aside,

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I can't see the tweet. What is it?

Source in the post above.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I mean poo poo dude has had an interesting and innovative career and supports where he eats and came from despite the weirdest poo poo you could associate with him trying to destroy him and all he touches...

I really enjoyed the Orville overall. There is a lot of weak/cringe/WTF to it especially in the middle episodes of all 3 seasons. Another season would be badass.

I'd much rather watch a show/movie about Bortus and his 500 cigarette a day habit than anything that happened in anything related to Starfleet/Picard, especially that lovely TNG episode with Endar and Jonah and that loving poo poo conference Picard had with Troi (and she's clearly been giving the boy perma-chub because of that ridiculous cat-suit she's still wearing) or if course all 3 turds we got with Peecards show.

I also really appreciate that the writers of this show are smart enough to realize that teleporters even if you COULD make them somewhat okay to use in an emergency or something make no sense and would instantly kill any organic life you used it on Like maybe you could teleport Issac/Kaylon somewhere that way but uh no based on how a teleporter is supposed to work, the process of remolecularization would involve absolute cell death and rebirth instantly. Artificial life could get around this pretty trivially based on what we know.

Quantum drive and how it works makes more sense than warp drives too

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Teleporters are just cloning machines where you kill the origonal after pressing print

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

pixaal posted:

Teleporters are just cloning machines where you kill the origonal after pressing print

Federation regulations have made this okay. I guess in a post scarcity society controlled by LocutusTNG sperm that would just be like putting more quarters in a Pinball machine. But they forget that having technology like that effectively even makes assimilation futile. Eventually you start causing infinite integer paradoxes n poo poo.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Seth MacFarlane playing the long game. In thirty years, watch out for The Orville: Mercer.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

TheCenturion posted:

Seth MacFarlane playing the long game. In thirty years, watch out for The Orville: Mercer.

Ironically Fox gets their initial wish with Orville: Lowers Levels an animated comedy about the ensigns and junior officers of another ship in fleet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

pixaal posted:

I've been hearing this since the 90s.

Teleporters aren't real and if the writers say they don't work that way, they don't work that way.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's space opera. it's deliberately unrealistic. next caller

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

LividLiquid posted:

I've been hearing this since the 90s.

Teleporters aren't real and if the writers say they don't work that way, they don't work that way.

Yea, we see Barclay has consciousness through the teleport, categorically it doesn't work that way

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheCenturion posted:

You joke but I'm reasonably certain the "New Horizons" subtitle is an out for a franchise brand to build the property. Wouldn't be the first franchise to flip to the subtitle and start showing "New Horizons: The Next Bunch", set on the USS Wilbur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's space opera. it's deliberately unrealistic. next caller

"hi, thanks for taking my call. uhh, my question is, if they've got all these fancy computers all over the place, why are humans in the decision loop at all during combat? shouldn't maneuvers and firing be taking place way faster than even a pro starcraft player with a snootful of amphetamines could possibly handle?"

well caller, the show doesn't set out to realistically depict combat between FTL-capable starships flinging lightspeed particle beams and c-fractional antimatter warheads at each other. instead, as a space opera, the show chooses to create a viscerally exciting presentation that emphasizes human-scale drama and draws on visual metaphors for forms of combat that the average viewer (and writer!) are likely more familiar with.

thanks for calling! we'll be right back, after these messages