Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Same Hagar same…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mitigating the "adult children have unrealistic fantasies about the lodge" thing by making sure the parents are also clueless/delusional

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Next week: Dickweed hops in his F-350 and road rages his way through the wall of a Planned Parenthood. He is the hero.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It Was A Love Affair, Between Me, And Jesus

I'm not gonna lie this has probably been the best K&K has been in a minute.

The Winter Solstice Kids Play Horse Plinko

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Zereth posted:

I feel like the case doesn't have many legs to stand on with the song, either, people can write songs about things owned by other people.

What in the gently caress is going on with Sweepea's eyes

Somebody at the paper sneezed on the art? :shrug:

(alternate source)

Out Our Way At Christmas (December 10, 24, 26, 1925)

Our Boarding House (December 18-20, 1924)

Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (December 19, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (March 2-4, 1922, with an Aunt Eppie modesty curtain)

Dok's Dippy Up Pompeii (January 11, 1915; spoiler for Italian stereotype)

Little Lefty, in which Marmaduke continues his education in management-labor relations. (August 3-5, 1939)

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

All I want for Christmas is a Luann/The Shining crossover.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

For some reason Mark's manic grin in the last panel cracked me up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

You know, given the laws around predation upon people you know and the fact that prey aren't allowed to fight back with more than their natural tools (which are downplayed frankly a lot more than they are in nature, herbivores do NOT gently caress around) but predators are allowed to defend prey loved ones, you'd think Mark having a feline girlfriend would be a plus for the kid's safety. Unless people are just breaking these laws willy nilly and never getting punished, of course.

EDIT: Some of the deadliest animals in the world are herbivores but even if Holbrook has one of those like a rhino shaped like a tank it's all about nerfing him by having him constantly chased for his horn ivory because god forbid anything truly question the status quo (except via heterosexual cross-diet relationships). If Holbrook tried to include a hippo major character that's more dangerous than any of the predators he'd break.

Kevin is allowed to be a super buff dangerous rabbit because haha rabbits are weak so that's funny, and also he doesn't try to do anything to challenge anything.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 17, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Again no stakes, no threat, no plot.

"We want to adopt mouse child!"
"No prove you are safe."
Six panels later.
"You put me through much danger but proved you are safe, have mouse child."

I agree about the hoofstock angle; I briefly worked in that area in a zoo, and I was warned that there were a few pens you never ever went in, one being the Arabian oryx. Do not make eye contact with the roan antelope. The sable antelope pen had to be cleaned daily, and you were to keep half the yard between you and the herd at any point. Never go in with the cassowaries; some dinosaurs did not die.

The predators/big cats had lockdown areas. The hoofstock was large areas, no lockdown could happen.

I also remember being warned about the emus and maraboo storks and the single male rhea we had: if you bolted or ran, they had your number from day one. The storks you could bribe (I usually brought thawed mice), the emus would crowd you if you took too long to pour out their food, and the rhea ran at me every single loving time when my back was turned, but the second I faced him, he'd whirl off and keep distance.

Don't stand your ground with ostriches. They do not give a gently caress and they will kick your thigh and drop you like garbage.

Then there were what most people saw as "safe moocows," like the axis deer and llamas. Maybe even the camels, who were old as gently caress and overall didn't care about us.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Copper Ma, a man so completely owned it gives him an aneurysm. :allears:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Oops, almost forgot to post today.

Scary Go Round (September 23-27, 2004)

First appearance: Riley Beckwith! Yes, that's Ryan's sister. Yes, she's with Tim. Oh you *bet* that's gonna come up down the road.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Copper Ma, the most owned man in the world

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Caphi posted:

Also honestly, some of those patties made of black beans or whatever are good. In some ways I respect them more than trying to reverse-engineer cooked beef out of molded soy matter with artificial colors and flavors.

This is how I feel. I kind of resent the impossible burger and similar things because they've been crowding out some of the existing, perfectly nice veggie options.

Anyway I hope we're not supposed to be siding with the cop guy here. I don't see how you can justify thinking of someone as a "fawning toad" for liking a veggie burger. And he doesn't have to pretend to like it himself, either - it would be perfectly polite to just say "I don't think these things are for me" and be done with it.

Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Medenmath posted:

This is how I feel. I kind of resent the impossible burger and similar things because they've been crowding out some of the existing, perfectly nice veggie options.

Anyway I hope we're not supposed to be siding with the cop guy here. I don't see how you can justify thinking of someone as a "fawning toad" for liking a veggie burger. And he doesn't have to pretend to like it himself, either - it would be perfectly polite to just say "I don't think these things are for me" and be done with it.
From what I've heard, sometimes if you're vegetarian or vegan but haven't always been you get that craving for meat that isn't quite satisfied by delicious, delicious black bean patties. That's when something like an impossible burger patty or something is nice, because it'll properly scratch the itch. It's not something I particularly care about but I understand it has a niche that just doesn't exist for me.

Mostly I think the people willing to try stuff like plant-based 'meat' burgers are also willing to try and enjoy non-meaty options so it just widens the options available. If someone's craving a black bean patty it's not like an impossible patty is going to substitute for it. I guess the market is still probably niche enough that the focus on fake meats can be smothering.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
After a teaser image for a month, Mara Llave actually updated, and we're under way:

I'm not sure I can keep up with this hectic pace, if someone else wants to post it.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 13, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Zippy The Pinhead

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

gently caress yeah Mike, own that poo poo

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

H Bomber MD

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 17, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This dinner scene in Mary Worth is so weird. Why does Brad serving and saying he loves vegan burgers warrant a "you're so cool!!!" comment from Sonia? I guess Moy meant for it to be a narrative shorthand for how important Brad is to Sonia, but it almost reads like a parody of what conservatives think vegans are about.

How it this even a dilemma? Bruno's your best friend, just make him your best man!

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Anytime the strip does a close-up on Dethany's stupid face is always upsetting.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It really is remarkable that this guy manages to make hockey, one of the fastest and most exciting sports on the planet, look dull. I also don't know why the hell the guy is hitting the puck with the handle of his stick, nor what the hell is going on with that goalie's pad.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It really is remarkable that this guy manages to make hockey, one of the fastest and most exciting sports on the planet, look dull. I also don't know why the hell the guy is hitting the puck with the handle of his stick, nor what the hell is going on with that goalie's pad.

For that matter, let's also appreciate that he's tending goal in figure skates.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

This dinner scene in Mary Worth is so weird. Why does Brad serving and saying he loves vegan burgers warrant a "you're so cool!!!" comment from Sonia? I guess Moy meant for it to be a narrative shorthand for how important Brad is to Sonia, but it almost reads like a parody of what conservatives think vegans are about.

How it this even a dilemma? Bruno's your best friend, just make him your best man!

Anytime the strip does a close-up on Dethany's stupid face is always upsetting.

I am waiting for Brad to make other comments about fighting the system, cops being corrupt, maybe even some "did you assume my gender!" conservative bullshit.

Meanwhile Beefy McManCop tries and fails to connect with his estranged ex and daughter because Brad ChadCoolMan is so suave.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Hey sometimes when you're just too good for the league you're in, you've got to do something to keep it challenging.

For those who aren't hockey weirdoes, goalie and player skates have blades with very different geometry and overall are physically very different, because the positions require such different things from the skates.

And figure skating skates are something else entirely but I've never skated in them so I don't know what the gently caress they're about.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Resident Idiot posted:

After a teaser image for a month, Mara Llave actually updated, and we're under way:

I'm not sure I can keep up with this hectic pace, if someone else wants to post it.

MARA KEEPER
LLAVE KEY TIME

I like the art, but I hope they can pick up the pace a bit. Or have a buffer ready.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Oh poo poo you’re right. Missing the toepick but the shape’s for Figure.

Edit: for anyone who doesn’t know what the toepick is for, it’s how figure skaters launch themselves into the air for their various axels, loops, etc. it isn’t a brake.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 17, 2023

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "444 - Jucika's Counter-Pull"

"Kérvény = Application"

"445 - Jucika Is Angry"

Good dorg.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/16/03

Brenda Starr 4/7-9/52

The what.

Smokey Stover 8/3/58

Everyday Movies 1/22/37

"The room's not so big -- but I'll let you put your name over the bell downstairs. Then it'll be just like having an apartment of your own."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/5-7/42

"For the love of God, One-Eye!"?

Closer Than We Think! 8/3/58

Pave the planet!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This back and forth between Scarlet and One-Eye is the best. :allears:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (December 19, 1976)

Crankshaft

First of all, the punchline is a couple who just purchase a failed business talking about money to another couple who bought a failed business.

Secondly, Pete and Mindy are reopening a failed business in a deeply unsettled economy. So of course, the strips about reopening the business are about just hanging out. We don't have to see the back office all the time, but at least one strip a few months down the line with Pete in a dark room lit only by QuickBooks showing him how in the red the place is would be a nice change of pace. But there I go again with the fantasy plotting.

Li'l Abner (May 20-22, 1935)

Did...they just send Abner to the 9 Chickweed Lane school? Is the little girl's secret that she's going to grow up to be Gammaw?

Thimble Theater (July 21, 1940, CW for the 20th century's favorite Romani slur in the Sappo strip.)

Popeye

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 17, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

FoxTrot

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

note: Sojas is a notary, as well as an airman

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GBZC8KWUdQ&t=1461s

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

that's a terrible dustin

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CommonShore posted:

that's a terrible dustin

that's a wet lake

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

Sonia served the burgers. It's still a slightly odd response but he's complimenting her work.

PetraCore posted:

Kevin is allowed to be a super buff dangerous rabbit because haha rabbits are weak so that's funny, and also he doesn't try to do anything to challenge anything.

There was a big Serious Storyline about a group of rabbits who WERE trying to challenge things, by building the dreaded... weapons! (Guns which shot carrot-shaped-and-painted wooden stakes)

One of the Main Cast heroically gave her life to stop them, valiantly laying down her life to defend *checks notes* her species being killed and eaten routinely.

EDIT: I think this was in fact one of the first Serious Dramatic Storylines, so suddenly we're supposed to take the world seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I thought this popeye was cute.