Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

And that's Strife finished.

Good Lord, does Berserk trivialize the game. With it, one punch can fell a Inquisitor. For some perspective, Inquisitors are the strongest non-boss enemies in the game, which only start showing up just before you can get the Red Talisman, and therefore just before the earliest point you can even get Berserk in the first place. You're basically given the ability to one-hit-kill the game's Cyberdemon equivalent. It's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I really wish DoomRPG + DoomRLA would be made its own standalone game. As a GZDoom mod, it's kinda clunky, especially since last time I played saving characters between WADs was broken.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

And that's Strife finished.

Good Lord, does Berserk trivialize the game. With it, one punch can fell a Inquisitor. For some perspective, Inquisitors are the strongest non-boss enemies in the game, which only start showing up just before you can get the Red Talisman, and therefore just before the earliest point you can even get Berserk in the first place. You're basically given the ability to one-hit-kill the game's Cyberdemon equivalent. It's hilarious.

That sounds hilarious. Based on berserk's name, I thought it just buffed your punching power so that you can always OHKO trash enemies no matter your stamina, ala Doom's berserk fists. I gotta get it next time I go through Strife.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's technically in vanilla Strife, too, but you have to cheat to get it since there's nothing in the game that gives it to you; the talismans are pretty much entirely a Veteran Edition addition. "PUMPUP B" should do it.

I did think it was cute, though that the pickup lines for the talismans are the same as the Demon Keys in Doom 64.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Duke 3D's glitchiness is the worst. And it punishes you by killing you if you don't glitch it just right.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Duke 3D's glitchiness is the worst. And it punishes you by killing you if you don't glitch it just right.

On the other hand, it does let you kill poor Duke very quickly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAFWfXy5vU

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Question for you guys. Is the source for DoomEd available to anyone? I know it's extremely obscure (NeXTSTEP and all that), but someone I work with expressed interest in using that to port Doom's editor over to Mac. He's been working on ports for Quake and Quake II's editors with a lot of success. The problem is, I don't think the source for Doom's editor was ever released. I'm not sure why.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

No, it was never released. There is a guy who bought a NeXT machine from id back in the day and recently booted it up and found a working copy of DoomEd on it though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I think a big part of why DoomEd was never released is because it was super primitive and restricted compared to the community editors even back when the game was first launched.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Linguica posted:

No, it was never released. There is a guy who bought a NeXT machine from id back in the day and recently booted it up and found a working copy of DoomEd on it though.

I think he mentioned that he has the source too, but won't release it without permission, even though I doubt anyone actually cares about a 20 year old Doom editor. He would probably have to ask Zenimax for the OK these days, but his request would probably just be funneled into some black-hole and forgotten.

Would be neat to see though, especially since MESS can boot and run NeXTStep now.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yep. https://twitter.com/DonMacAskill/status/537285476441284608

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

closeted republican posted:

I knew it! I would never un-crouch myself in front of the space shuttle in E2M1 because I was sure Duke would stick his head into space. Turns out he does. And how you can kill yourself just by jumping onto angled sectors or walking up to the corner of doors and using them which somehow kills Duke. Thanks, Ken Silverman.

The_Franz posted:

I think he mentioned that he has the source too, but won't release it without permission, even though I doubt anyone actually cares about a 20 year old Doom editor. He would probably have to ask Zenimax for the OK these days, but his request would probably just be funneled into some black-hole and forgotten.

Would be neat to see though, especially since MESS can boot and run NeXTStep now.

I didn't know MESS could boot NeXTStep. Can it run Windows 3.1 yet or is the PC emulation still garbage?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

closeted republican posted:

Most of these are pretty good, but the ones where he's crushing himself in doors just seem obvious.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

The_Franz posted:

It's a little odd that it hasn't been released when tons of other really obscure things have been put out there. Just from an archival standpoint, it'd be a nice little piece of history to preserve. There are probably only a dozen people on earth that would really like to tinker with it, but I can't imagine that would hurt id or ZeniMax at all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

I think a big part of why DoomEd was never released is because it was super primitive and restricted compared to the community editors even back when the game was first launched.

It was entirely because the filenames were garbled in the NeXT->DOS file transfer (maybe they were longer than 8.3 characters?) and the non-id guy that id tasked with cleaning up the source code felt that since there already were map editors out there he wasn't going to bother with them at all.

It wasn't a decision by id not to release it. It was entirely Bernd Kreimeiers choosing.

From the screenshots and tidbits I've seen, it wasn't that primitive. It certainly looked like it would have compared favorably to DEU, for example.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 8, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mogomra posted:

Most of these are pretty good, but the ones where he's crushing himself in doors just seem obvious.

The door ones are pretty funny just for absurd they are. Badass Duke Nukem opens a door, puts himself in-between them, and lets them crush him like it was nothing for no apparent reason.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I briefly met Bernd Kreimeier at E3 in like 2000 and he was rude to me, that's my anecdote.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Duke is really glitchy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4JGoWiMqBc

I think last years run of it was better too, but the glitch exhibition at the end was a must watch.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can generally avoid those during regular gameplay, revolving doors on the other hand :suicide:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone else find that Duke's handgun always seemed really short? Like, I know it's 2D so they have to draw it's perspective from the player's POV, but it always looked like some sort of cheap microphone rather than a gun.

I'm reminded of this looking at that 'quick death' video's default screenshot, which shows the rest of the gun as Duke's reloading. See, THAT'S a handgun.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Saw this on Tumblr, kind of surprised Wolf3d made it to Japan, in a way. Kind of even more surprised that it became about Brigitte Nielsen's head on Dolph Lundgren's body, and that the green Grosse brother is apparently a chick now. And that the mad doctor is wearing Chinese-style clothing.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone else find that Duke's handgun always seemed really short? Like, I know it's 2D so they have to draw it's perspective from the player's POV, but it always looked like some sort of cheap microphone rather than a gun.

I'm reminded of this looking at that 'quick death' video's default screenshot, which shows the rest of the gun as Duke's reloading. See, THAT'S a handgun.

IMFDB to the rescue: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_3D#Glock_17

I own a glock 17, seems legit (as legit as a stylized 2d sprite can be) although a bit "fat" in the game

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LvK posted:

Kind of even more surprised . . . that the mad doctor is wearing Chinese-style clothing.

This should not surprise you

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

All the guns have hosed perspective in Duke, and the mighty boot does too.

Look at the shotgun man, it doesn't feel at all like a shotgun. Looks like a big pistol. (until you reload it)

Top: Shotgun. Bottom: Big pistol.

By comparison, here's a 3D shotgun in a modern game, you can see how much longer it is from proper perspective:

It also makes you realize that Duke is aiming at like the top left side of the screen, nowhere near the crosshair.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 8, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Duke 3D weapons are weirdly sprited over videos. Here's an older version of the shotgun based off the same video footage:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

Duke is really glitchy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4JGoWiMqBc

I think last years run of it was better too, but the glitch exhibition at the end was a must watch.

:lol: I miss 1990s lovely game engines. Not going to get the geometry in HL2 to collapse on itself.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

It also makes you realize that Duke is aiming at like the top left side of the screen, nowhere near the crosshair.
It also makes you realize how much of the screen modern games cover up with the view model.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bouchacha posted:

IMFDB to the rescue: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_3D#Glock_17

I own a glock 17, seems legit (as legit as a stylized 2d sprite can be) although a bit "fat" in the game

Oh, I have no doubt that it's legit, and usually I can get behind 2d art of a 3d perspective. For some reason, Duke's hand gun doesn't translate in my head, ever; he just constantly looks like he's shooting with a weird, plastic microphone.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I always thought Duke's pistol was something really beefy like a Desert Eagle so I'm surprised that it matches up so well with a Glock 17 given how fat it looks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wadjamaloo posted:

It also makes you realize how much of the screen modern games cover up with the view model.

Yeah, that's a good point.
But its screen space we got back by giving up hard information menus in exchange for minimalist HUDs.

Course these days you can play doom with whatever HUD you like. But back then it took up a good bit of the screen (unless you went in blind) and other games were even worse (often intentionally to get around / disguise rendering restrictions)

BattleMaster posted:

I always thought Duke's pistol was something really beefy like a Desert Eagle so I'm surprised that it matches up so well with a Glock 17 given how fat it looks.

Its super square and blocky though, and that's a glock for sure. Almost all other handguns are way more rounded.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is Hexen II any good?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
It is really, really awful. Just play Quake and get some map packs instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'd say its better than Heretic 2 :cheeky:

Not as good as Heretic or Hexen though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's okay. Whacking all the level geometry and watching it break is pretty fun. Unfortunately, though, it's still very much a Hexen game, so you'll end up getting lost within a few maps.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

horse mans posted:

Is Hexen II any good?

If you liked Hexen, it's more of the same. Not great, but not awful either.

boof
Jun 3, 2001
This video probably has my favourite explanation of some of Hexen 2's failures, especially when it goes over an example of the convoluted level/puzzle design (skip to around the 2m30s mark for that).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Hexen 2 has a good first hub and a decent second one, but the game goes straight to hell you when you get to Egypt. The puzzles are obtuse bullshit and it's all so you can go on a giant fetchquest. The ancient Rome world has a really cool concept, but the actual maps feel like you're trapped in giant cubes that are decorated with the same muddy marble texture and statues painted on textures. loving Daikatana does a way better job with the "ancient Rome" concept. I don't remember much of the last hub, but it wasn't half-bad compared to Egypt's puzzles or navigating the series of giant cubes that is Ancient Rome.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I could never stand Hexen. No direction, no way to figure out what you're doing beside "a door opened somewhere", too many "aha, gently caress you player" moments with crusher traps or monster closets. It's a technical marvel for 1995 but I hated it. I loved Strife though. It had an objectives screen!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Hexen since, as a kid, it seemed to present such a detailed and varied world to explore. I've tried replaying it as an adult but it's so clunky and unfocused that I barely ever get more than an hour in :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think the only decent way to play Hexen nowadays is just to play that huge Serpent mod that makes it more like an action RPG. I'd play the poo poo out of vanilla Hexen and Hexen II if they had maps in the vein of Heretic (Doom style) or even keep the hub based style but with less bullshit switch hunt (or not at all, just dungeons or whatever).