Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

anilEhilated posted:

I don't remember what it's called, but Lem also wrote a parody take on that from the point of view of the aliens, where their invasion is foiled by a village drunk.

Oh my :3: I must find this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Nippashish posted:

Oh my :3: I must find this.

It's called Invasion from Aldebaran (Inwazja z Aldebarana)

e: Invasion from Aldebaran on Google Books

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 15, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

andrew smash posted:

There are plenty of them, they are comparable in quality to other licensed property novels like d&d and star wars.

Are any of them the Thrawn Trilogy or Gaunt's Ghosts of the Shadowrun world?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ontent=20170214

We're getting another trilogy of His Dark Materials.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Hasn't he been talking about this project for years now?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
There is a release date now though. According to goodreads I finished reading the original trilogy in 2012 and I remember hearing about the book of dust after. Hope it's worth the wait.

The important stuff:

quote:

The first book of the new series, which will collectively be called The Book of Dust, is set for publication on October 19.

On where The Book of Dust will fall in the saga
Well, the first book is set roughly ten years before the action of His Dark Materials. And the second book and subsequent books ... are set ten years after it. So in the first one, Lyra is only a baby of about six months. So she's not able to do very much, but she's certainly the focus of intense activity on the part of the main protagonists. In the second book she will be twenty years old, she'll be an adult....
It's a sort of companion book, if you like. It doesn't stand before [His Dark Materials], it doesn't stand after it, it stands beside it.

Koburn fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 15, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hell, I remember him mentioning the Book of Dust back before I started High School, which would have been... 2003, maybe? 2004?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

andrew smash posted:

Can't really recommend them as anything other than teenage years guilty pleasures but the setting you are describing is Shadowrun.

There was a Shadowrun book I read that was really not a bad book and I don't just mean 'not bad for licensed fiction'. Protagonist was a mage who was half American Indian and his mage talents were viewed as shameful because they weren't shamanistic magic. Can't remember the name.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

tonytheshoes posted:

I finally made it through the first 1/3 of Anathem by Neal Stephenson--it's been tough sledding because I have a 9-month old, and reading long books is hard when you're falling asleep and waking yourself up when the book falls over in your hands and hits you in the face. Anyway, it seems like the plot is FINALLY starting to ramp up a little, but OH MY GOD it's so slow! Does it continue to be a philosophy textbook, or does it start moving anytime soon? Because honestly, I just don't have time right now to slog through it, or I will have only read 3 books so far this year.

Read a different book and come back to it when your kids are sleeping through the night man. I hardly read anything until my kids were sleeping through, it sucked at the time but its temporary, it gets better. Read something like Pratchett that's easy and enjoyable and not too demanding.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

Really not sure how to feel about that given the exponentially declining quality of the first three.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

anilEhilated posted:

Really not sure how to feel about that given the exponentially declining quality of the first three.

Your enjoyment of the third book is going to be pretty heavily dependent on how much you enjoy a young adult series devolving into a fevered screed about how the Catholic Church is the worst.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Inspector_666 posted:

Are any of them the Thrawn Trilogy or Gaunt's Ghosts of the Shadowrun world?

Probably the trilogy that starts with Never Deal with a Dragon is the best place to start. If you like that keep going, if you don't you probably won't like any of it. I highly, highly recommend the modern CRPG shadowrun trilogy though regardless (dragonfall > hong kong > shadowrun returns IMO).

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I'm looking for some modern Eldritch Horror. Like, some straight Lovecraftian riffs, period and setting doesn't matter. Any suggestions?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dragonshirt posted:

I'm looking for some modern Eldritch Horror. Like, some straight Lovecraftian riffs, period and setting doesn't matter. Any suggestions?

Carter & Lovecraft by Jonathan L. Howard

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Internet Wizard posted:

Your enjoyment of the third book is going to be pretty heavily dependent on how much you enjoy a young adult series devolving into a fevered screed about how the Catholic Church is the worst.

And the ending of which is "Oh, did we just kill God? I didn't notice."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, not sure about the enjoyment. I'm not a fan of religion in the slightest and it still is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Dragonshirt posted:

There's a thread dedicated to this; the problem is very few people go to Lovecraft for horror nowadays, he's become more of a fantasy staple. For example, the recommended Carter & Lovecraft is pretty straight urban fantasy.

Without any more specifics given, I'd suggest giving Laird Barron's stuff a try. Or, if you're in it for the sense of existential dread, there is no one who can write that quite like Thomas Ligotti.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 15, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dragonshirt posted:

Red Right Hand by Levi Black.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AGCMNBU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Dragonshirt posted:

The Fisherman and Lovecraft Country are the two I always see recommended when this gets asked.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Dragonshirt posted:

Black Tom by Victor LaValle
Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

flosofl posted:

Carter & Lovecraft by Jonathan L. Howard

This book is terrible. Between the rape scene played for comic relief (I think, the tone is nonsensical), the ridiculous self-insert protagonist's racism, or rather 'I used to be racist, but now I find a black person attractive', and the terrible prose, it would be waste of two dollars, let alone 12 or 13 or whatever the kindle book costs.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, not sure about the enjoyment. I'm not a fan of religion in the slightest and it still is a steaming pile of poo poo.
Same. It's also one of the only books i've ever thrown against the wall in disgust at the ending. I guess we can't be together anymore because it might hurt the universe a little so I guess that's that, goodbye my soul mate, no point in striving for or attempting a workaround or using logic or reason of any kind even though that's the foundation of the entire trilogy, I'll just live my hopeless life in pain and loss forever, trying but unable to ever move on. Just gently caress you forever, Philip Pullman.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bhodi posted:

Same. It's also one of the only books i've ever thrown against the wall in disgust at the ending. I guess we can't be together anymore because it might hurt the universe a little so I guess that's that, goodbye my soul mate, no point in striving for or attempting a workaround or using logic or reason of any kind even though that's the foundation of the entire trilogy, I'll just live my hopeless life in pain and loss forever, trying but unable to ever move on. Just gently caress you forever, Philip Pullman.

You think that's bad, try Graham Green's The End of the Affair.

Ironically I feel Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy has the same flaws as the Narnia books, or for that matter Lewis's Space Trilogy: a good first book and then a descent into incoherent ideological rambling with only the barest pretense of a plot

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Thanks for the suggestions! I ordered Carter & Lovecraft, Red Right Hand, and Lovecraft Country because I'm a physical book guy.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You think that's bad, try Graham Green's The End of the Affair.

Ironically I feel Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy has the same flaws as the Narnia books, or for that matter Lewis's Space Trilogy: a good first book and then a descent into incoherent ideological rambling with only the barest pretense of a plot
I was never a Narnia fan; I was more of a "dark is rising" kind of kid.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dragonshirt posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I ordered Carter & Lovecraft, Red Right Hand, and Lovecraft Country because I'm a physical book guy.

I like the cut of your jib.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanted to drop in and say that Alistair Reynolds Revenger is disappointing as gently caress. I really like the ideas behind the setting in the book, but my god its poorly written phoned in trash.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

SubPress is teaming with the Humble Bundle guys again. There are some pretty good titles on offer.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/sub-press-fiction-book-bundle

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bhodi posted:

I was never a Narnia fan; I was more of a "dark is rising" kind of kid.

Man, I loved those books.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bhodi posted:

You too, huh? Those freaking books - the first book held so much promise but they liked killing cool characters and making the reader mad. :sigh:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I just wanted to drop in and say that Alistair Reynolds Revenger is disappointing as gently caress. I really like the ideas behind the setting in the book, but my god its poorly written phoned in trash.

I was let down by it too. I liked the "pirates and salvage crews making a living in a decrepit space society built on the ruins of a mysterious fallen alien empire" premise and setting, I just wish he wasn't using it for his try at a young adult series. Also, invented substitute words, slang and terminology for a secondary world setting don't usually bother me, but "lung stuff" for "air" really bugged the hell outta me, and iirc, wasn't even internally consistent with some of the other vocab that was or wasn't switched out with a new, in-universe word or phrase, lending credence to your assertion that this was phoned-in and half rear end.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Biplane posted:

Coast Guard are literally the only branch of the american military who actually protect and save american lives on the reg and they deserve your respect unlike the rest of the armed forces.
Defending our lives and freedumb

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

StrixNebulosa posted:

You too, huh? Those freaking books - the first book held so much promise but they liked killing cool characters and making the reader mad. :sigh:

I'd read a Wheel of Time-sized stack of books of just the polar bears doing polar bear stuff

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I guess I'm the only person who thought the whole trilogy was alright. I read it over a decade ago, though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
you from over a decade ago was a different person

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Solitair posted:

I guess I'm the only person who thought the whole trilogy was alright. I read it over a decade ago, though.

I REALLY liked the His Dark Materials series when I read it, also ten or fifteen years ago. I'm hesitant to go and reread it on the chance that it ruins my memory of it.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Drifter posted:

I REALLY liked the His Dark Materials series when I read it, also ten or fifteen years ago. I'm hesitant to go and reread it on the chance that it ruins my memory of it.

That's basically what happened to me when I tried to reread "The Deathgate Cycle" and the "Dragonlance" books. I absolutely loved them when I was a kid but wow do they ever not hold up reading them as an adult.

Kind of wished I hadn't of even tried reading them again.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I had the same reaction to the Shannara books. I enjoyed the ones I read when I was younger quite a bit but as new books came out over the past couple decades I enjoyed them less and less and I find it hard to tell if that's just because the later books are worse rehashes of the earlier books or if it's just my perspective that's changed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Joining in to mention Anne Mccaffrey: she wrote a bunch of books with really cool premises, and as I grew older I realized her writing was boring, which was painful as it was always married to some interesting ideas. :sigh:

His Dark Materials, at least, has a rock-solid first book that I reread a few years ago (as opposed to a decade ago) and looooved it. Then I kept reading and lost interest, again.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

I'm willing to give that a shot when I can find enough time. Unlike, say, Redwall, it might not be a huge letdown.

I think part of the reason the dogmatic stuff didn't bother me is because I conflated it with fictional fantasy worldbuilding, not really understanding at the time that real life, non-geeks took matters like Christianity and atheism very seriously and differentiated it from all of the other, plus there was enough actual worldbuilding like Lyra's trip to the underworld and the new form of existence departed souls take after she lets them out that I still think is pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

SubPress is teaming with the Humble Bundle guys again. There are some pretty good titles on offer.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/sub-press-fiction-book-bundle

As someone who's read almost nothing by any of the authors here, I wondered if anyone could quickly review some of the books in this bundle? Have you read any that are really good, or really bad?