Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Good or not, I find it incredibly boring to use or play against, mainly. It's more optimal, certainly, but I'd rather experiment with weirder combinations in the earlier days after a release to see what I can make fit together and how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Unrelated: I flew a different XXX list today, because I traded a guy for a movie still Biggs. This meant I was legally required to run Wedge/Luke/Biggs all movie promos.

Loose Canons

Wedge Antilles (29) [34]
Opportunist (4)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Luke Skywalker (28) [35]
Marksmanship (3)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25) [31]
R5-D8 (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Total: 100

Trip report: it kicked rear end, which surprised the hell out of me. Biggs managed to discard three loving damage with R5-D8, Luke regen'd four shields, and Wedge found comfort in Biggs's protective embrace against the last enemy fighter while Luke Marksmanshipped it out of existence for the 100-0 victory. Marksmanship was directly responsible for two kills, both of them Direct Hits against Z-95s. Wedge was able to proc Opportunist once against a Zuckuss, unloading five dice with target lock and focus against zero defense dice. It wasn't pretty.

Those three X-wings ended up taking between them 15 damage and none of them died. Neither Wedge nor Luke even used Integrated. Luke finished with full shields and one hull damage, Biggs finished with one hull damage. gently caress yeah movie promos.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Speaking of weird and bad experiments

Colonel Vessery (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/D (0)

Countess Ryad (34)
Expert Handling (2)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dulkor posted:

Good or not, I find it incredibly boring to use or play against, mainly. It's more optimal, certainly, but I'd rather experiment with weirder combinations in the earlier days after a release to see what I can make fit together and how.

If you really, really want to run the Lambda but don't want to have it ferry Palpatine around, maybe do the Vader Buzzsaw?

Captain Yorr (24)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Darth Vader (3)
Gunner (5)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

It won't last long, but it will really give Squint Aces a hard time in particular, which is fun with Basement Jaxx in the meta.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Otisburg posted:

If you really, really want to run the Lambda but don't want to have it ferry Palpatine around, maybe do the Vader Buzzsaw?

Captain Yorr (24)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Darth Vader (3)
Gunner (5)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

It won't last long, but it will really give Squint Aces a hard time in particular, which is fun with Basement Jaxx in the meta.

My favorite Lambda is literally just OGP + Vader. It's super deadly and just wrecks anything that gets in front of it. It also rarely survives, so it's not just dead weight flying around the border.

Wanna get good with the shuttle? Fly an OGP + Vader. Your first goal is to ensure it dies every game. Once you can do that reliably, you make sure you can trade it for something worth more points. Once you can do that reliably, try to ensure it takes out something without dying.

It's like flying Biggs. First you make sure it dies. Then you try to trade it for something better. Then eventually you don't have to trade it at all!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Strobe posted:

Seriously though I think Expert Handling might be a good answer here. Stripping target locks is a bigger deal in this meta than it has been in a long time, between Omega Leader (deny action economy, at the very least), Phantoms (which are a big deal in this part of the country again), VCXs running FCS and Hera that don't get other dice mods, and ATC Vader, there are a lot of good reasons to be stripping locks.

The problem with Expert Handling is the fact it occupies the (arguably) most useful upgrade slot of the game. You're basically sacrificing either action economy (Push the Limit) or offensive capability (Predator/Crack Shot) to get it in there, and that leaves you in a bad position imho.

Really, Counter-Measures shouldn't have been Large Ship Only or 3 points.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If we're talking weird XXX lists, I'm planning to head down to Dice Age in Vancouver tomorrow evening to get some practice in before the 30th and here's one of the possible lists I'm bringing down there to mess around with.

Starfighters of Adumar

Wedge Antilles
-Push the Limit
-BB-8
-Proton Torpedoes
-Guidance Chips

Wes Janson
-Veteran Instincts
-R2 Astromech
-Integrated Astromech

Hobbie Klivian
-Targeting Astromech
-Proton Torpedoes
-Guidance Chips

100/100

Alternately I could swap out the Protorps on Wedge for an Engine Upgrade/Integrated Astromech

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kai Tave posted:

If we're talking weird XXX lists, I'm planning to head down to Dice Age in Vancouver tomorrow evening to get some practice in before the 30th and here's one of the possible lists I'm bringing down there to mess around with.

Starfighters of Adumar

Wedge Antilles
-Push the Limit
-BB-8
-Proton Torpedoes
-Guidance Chips

Wes Janson
-Veteran Instincts
-R2 Astromech
-Integrated Astromech

Hobbie Klivian
-Targeting Astromech
-Proton Torpedoes
-Guidance Chips

100/100

Alternately I could swap out the Protorps on Wedge for an Engine Upgrade/Integrated Astromech

Have you considered Tarn with R7 Astromech? Surprisingly hard to kill!

Edit: Example link https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!85:58,59:-1:20:;0:18,1,148:-1:25:;82:27,58,69:-1:20:&sn=Unnamed%20Squadron

PTL/BB8 Wedge, Stress Janson, and Tarn. All with some kind of torps

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 26, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

Have you considered Tarn with R7 Astromech? Surprisingly hard to kill!

Yes, but Tarn wasn't in Aaron Allston's seminal Expanded Universe novel Starfighters of Adumar, and furthermore
:goonsay:

It was partly inspired by the goony in-joke but it's also because I want to see if Targeting Astromech/Hobbie is as good a combo in practice as it sounds on paper, being able to effectively get not only stress-free K-turns but gain a target lock out of them in the process while still having an action left to focus on top of it. Being stuck at PS5, as noted with Countess Ryad, kind of sucks but being able to make unlimited K-turns barring other forms of stress ensures that he should be able to cover a lot of the board from round to round.

Otherwise yeah, I've run Tarn before and he's definitely a neat little package for the unprepared to have to deal with, though I admit I've never thought to combo Biggs with R5-D8 before and now I'm kind of interested to see how that pans out. It's a 5/8 chance to discard a damage per roll which as far as random odds go ain't too shabby. I'm also bringing the cards to put a Lone Wolf Luke together along with my by-now standard Wes Wedge Dutch list if I feel like going all-out.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

quote:

A Wretched Hive

Boba Fett (44)
Firespray-31 (39)
Slave I (0)
Adaptability (0)
4-LOM (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Zuckuss (32)
G-1A Starfighter (28)
Mist Hunter (0)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Outlaw Tech (2)
Tractor Beam (1)

N'Dru Suhlak (24)
Z-95 Headhunter (17)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Glitterstim (2)

Total: 100

Everyone's at PS9, Zuckuss can TB for extra oomph with your munitions haymaker. Mostly a fluff list that I think is maybe not terrible. Surprising amount of firepower in this list, since Zuckuss is basically a 4 dice gun. 4-LOM and Boba play nicely together to push through some damage. N'Dru can and will sacrifice his Lone Wolf to get a good shot off in the first place. Takes some guts (lol) probably if you want to get a lot of use out of 4-LOM or setup a glorious shot with N'Dru, but it's maybe not all that horrible in practice, will need to test it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I've found N'Dru with Crack Shot, Glitterstim, Homing Missiles and Guidance Chips to be obscene and very painful to whoever happens to be on the other end.

I've one-shot Soontir Fel with that combo because of the Homing Missiles' caveat that the defender can't spend Evade tokens.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Endman posted:

I've found N'Dru with Crack Shot, Glitterstim, Homing Missiles and Guidance Chips to be obscene and very painful to whoever happens to be on the other end.

I've one-shot Soontir Fel with that combo because of the Homing Missiles' caveat that the defender can't spend Evade tokens.

I would have done Homing but don't have the points for it. If you can ever get Soontir in Zuckuss's arc, though, he's going get Conc Missile'd with one less agility. :getin:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

My favorite Lambda is literally just OGP + Vader. It's super deadly and just wrecks anything that gets in front of it. It also rarely survives, so it's not just dead weight flying around the border.

Wanna get good with the shuttle? Fly an OGP + Vader. Your first goal is to ensure it dies every game. Once you can do that reliably, you make sure you can trade it for something worth more points. Once you can do that reliably, try to ensure it takes out something without dying.

It's like flying Biggs. First you make sure it dies. Then you try to trade it for something better. Then eventually you don't have to trade it at all!

What else do you throw in this kind of list? Just a swarm of cheap low PS ties?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ConfusedUs posted:

I think with PTL, you really do need TIE Mk II. Having only the straights (and Ks) to shed that stress will make you ridiculously predictable.

Endman posted:

I'm not sure her ability is actually that useful, to be honest. Maybe at a higher PS it would be, but I'd rather take Vessery or Brath. With PTL and Engine Upgrade the Countess is incredibly predictable when she needs to shed that stress. I feel like her worst nemesis would be a Prototype A-Wing.

I don't think PtL+Engine Upgrade is predictable at all. And you don't always need to shed the stress, either, as the title still gives an evade on a 3-bank or 3-turn if you're worried about predictability.

Dash, even before Kanan was around and it was just Kyle, was still pretty drat unpredictable. I'll grant that large base barrel rolls are an order of magnitude more hilarious, but with Ryad, in one turn, I can 5-kturn, barrel roll, boost, and I've got an evade token. I can't think of a lot of situations where that's going to be super predictable.

Granted, the PS is an issue, but Dash at 7 was always an issue, too, in a meta filled with Poe, Vader, and Fel.

I dunno, maybe flying too much Dash has broken me, but I'd much rather have a boost action (paired with barrel roll) than green banks.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, no green banks is less of an issue when the ship in question gets a free evade and doesn't get stressed by failing a K-turn. That's the nice thing about Defenders in general, the 4k is a great option many times, even if you might bump, as long as you still have something else in front of you to shoot at.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Deathrain is a little old lady who knits socks when she's not blowing poo poo up.

I won't hear otherwise.

I've always thought of Deathrain as just this super amped-up dude sporting a mullet. He's ripped off the arms of his flightsuit, and he probably has a tattoo of the Imperial logo on his shoulder. He calls people "bro" and he's super amped about dunkin' bombs on rebs. On his days off he likes to party.

Peep this maneuver bro *does a sick barrel roll and throws a cluster mine straight into a X-Wing* WOO DEATHRAIN!

e: I just realized that Deathrain is basically Kenny Powers in my head.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Who does that make Stevie?

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Otisburg posted:

... He walked in otherwise empty handed and announced loudly to no one in particular that he wanted to get some (unspecified) gaming in like a cowboy in an old timey western might barge into the saloon and holler to the barkeep he wanted a whiskey.

Those 'feds' burned down his 'place of work'. Show some respect.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Geisladisk posted:

I've always thought of Deathrain as just this super amped-up dude sporting a mullet. He's ripped off the arms of his flightsuit, and he probably has a tattoo of the Imperial logo on his shoulder. He calls people "bro" and he's super amped about dunkin' bombs on rebs. On his days off he likes to party.

Peep this maneuver bro *does a sick barrel roll and throws a cluster mine straight into a X-Wing* WOO DEATHRAIN!

e: I just realized that Deathrain is basically Kenny Powers in my head.

Now he's Kenny Powers in my head, too.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

The Gate posted:

Yeah, no green banks is less of an issue when the ship in question gets a free evade and doesn't get stressed by failing a K-turn. That's the nice thing about Defenders in general, the 4k is a great option many times, even if you might bump, as long as you still have something else in front of you to shoot at.

Yeah, sure you gotta go straight and it's easy to block, but then you're opponent is not lining up a shot and your still getting an evade and one less incoming shot. And if it's a higher ps block, it means they have be in your arc the turn before.

I think defenders are going to be best in groups of 3, and play a lot like brobots, always hitting and running, switching up which target you can hit, moving fast and just grinding down the opposing list. Against everyone but regen Aces that is, but defenders can joust them as a pack and should be able to put on damage faster than the rebels can regen.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I painted up some ships ready for store champs this weekend. Not sure if I'll have time to paint the accompanying lambda though unfortunately.

Quoting from way the gently caress back, I'm getting some of these for a bunch of my old battletech minis eventually, was thinking of doing your scheme but starting a wee bitdarker with some added black, putting the mask down, going about as light as yours are, putting a mask down, the going a smidge lighter and peeling everything off. I figure it would be subtle enough to add some added patterns without going TNG Aztec or Rebel capital ship. Thoughts?

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
I am in for the TTS league!
N.S.A on steam and already in the group. I have played a decent amount of TTS X-wing and am willing to help people out who have questions on using it and ETC. Looking forward to playing more wangs!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

General Battuta posted:

Hey, has anyone got a chart of where you can end up with BB8 maneuvers? It'd be real easy to game out on the floor too, I just want something to look at on my phone.

http://randolphw.github.io/echolocation/

Switch on barrel roll and boost, hit the button that puts them both on, then hit the 'advanced sensors' button.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

hoiyes posted:

Yeah, sure you gotta go straight and it's easy to block, but then you're opponent is not lining up a shot and your still getting an evade and one less incoming shot. And if it's a higher ps block, it means they have be in your arc the turn before.

I think defenders are going to be best in groups of 3, and play a lot like brobots, always hitting and running, switching up which target you can hit, moving fast and just grinding down the opposing list. Against everyone but regen Aces that is, but defenders can joust them as a pack and should be able to put on damage faster than the rebels can regen.

Generally, I don't think you'll want to hit and run with Defenders. Their largest advantage over most ships is the fact they can K-turn and still have actions. You can seriously press that advantage by staying stuck in the fight. The threat of the 4K makes people have to play weirdly, even right now, without the Veteran fixes. Once Defenders aren't overpriced/undergunned traps, they'll be dangerous, especially if you avoid being focus fired.

Without the large base and/or boost, they can't disengage very readily anyway.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

thespaceinvader posted:

http://randolphw.github.io/echolocation/

Switch on barrel roll and boost, hit the button that puts them both on, then hit the 'advanced sensors' button.

There doesn't seem to be a way to force the boost to happen after the barrel roll, so half the positions it shows are illegal.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Lol boy did they really gently caress up the TLT FAQ wording. They made it sound like it's the turret on the Phantom that shoots in the end phase.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

hoiyes posted:

Lol boy did they really gently caress up the TLT FAQ wording. They made it sound like it's the turret on the Phantom that shoots in the end phase.

Also the wording on Valen and double attacks generally which implies that the second attack of a TLT or Cluster Missile is a triggered event and reliant on init to decide resolution order - thus meaning you could trigger Gunner and the second attack after a missed first TLT, and shoot the second one then get your Gunner shot.

Someone done hosed up.

De Rol Le
Feb 5, 2015

Strobe posted:

Made a post in the Steam group, but I'll put it here, too.

TTS League: who wants in, what format, how long, how many games?

I am up for a TTS league, Steam ID is: psofan89.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

New FAQ: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/c2/c5/c2c52847-ecde-4b76-af28-4795a694a7dd/x-wing_faq_v412.pdf

Biggest change is Valen needing initiative. Also Boba Fett crew works the way I always contended him to work but they have clarified the issue.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The more I think about the Valen/double attacks thing, the less bad it gets, but wow is that clunkily worded. Since the attacker performing his second attack happens at the same time instance as Valen doing his action, I interpret it as coming down to pilot skill, or initiative in a pilot skill tie, to determine which of those two happens first.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Someone needs to explain this Rudor change to me because I'm brain farting. If my opponent has initiative and I'm shot with a TLT, I can boost/barrel roll Rudor into the doughnut hole and still get shot by the second attack? Even if it's a PS 2 Y-wing?

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 26, 2016

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Tacopocalypse posted:

Someone needs to explain this Rudor change to me because I'm brain farting. If my opponent has initiative and I'm shot with a TLT, I can boost/barrel roll Rudor into the doughnut hole and still get shot by the second attack? Even if it's a PS 2 Y-wing?

If your opponent has initiative then Rudor can't escape, you would count both attacks from the initial spot. If you have initiative then you can get him out of there. Pilot skill isn't taken into account.

My opponent and I messed this up the last time we played but it seems ok.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Why does the FAQ have to specify that Vader can equip the ATC?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Why does the FAQ have to specify that Vader can equip the ATC?

Because his pilot card has a different ship name on it for no reason

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Tacopocalypse posted:

It feels like a PS6 Rudor should "have initiative" over a PS2 Y-Wing but maybe, as written, maybe I'm wrong and it all comes down to player initiative, PS be damned. In that case, you wouldn't be able to boost/barrel roll until after the second attack from the TLT even if it's from a PS2 Y-Wing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Koopa Kid posted:

Because his pilot card has a different ship name on it for no reason

:stare:

Holy poo poo, I never noticed that. Mostly because I don't actually play with cards, but partially because why would that be there?!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Some Numbers posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo, I never noticed that. Mostly because I don't actually play with cards, but partially because why would that be there?!

It's fine. I can only think that maybe that was added in a version of the FAQ that was released before the new rulebook from the Force Awakens starter set, which addresses the issue. The new rulebook states that as long as part of the name is included in an upgrade card, it is allowed for that ship. This is why we can't have any upgrade that works only on "X-wings" without also working for "T-70 X-wings" unless it somehow excludes them.

e: actually, since you can still play the game with the old damage deck, asteroids, and starter, that's probably why. You don't have the new rulebook that states any ship title is fine as long as the entire title is include as part of the ship, even if the ship's name is longer than the title.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 26, 2016

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

overdesigned posted:

It feels like a PS6 Rudor should "have initiative" over a PS2 Y-Wing but maybe, as written, maybe I'm wrong and it all comes down to player initiative, PS be damned. In that case, you wouldn't be able to boost/barrel roll until after the second attack from the TLT even if it's from a PS2 Y-Wing.

Pilot skill just doesn't affect things like that and never has. It times activation order in the movement and combat phases, nothing else. When two Corrans attack in the End Phase, the one with initiative shoots first, even if the other has VI.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

overdesigned posted:

I dunno. From what Koopa Kid said I think you can boost/barrel roll after the first attack, but the attack isn't re-measured so it'll be pointless. I guess instead all you can do is focus/evade for the second attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Poopy Palpy posted:

Pilot skill just doesn't affect things like that and never has. It times activation order in the movement and combat phases, nothing else. When two Corrans attack in the End Phase, the one with initiative shoots first, even if the other has VI.

That makes sense and pointing it out makes my brain accept this more. It's just weird seeing that mechanic pop up outside of "weird End Phase shenanigans."

Tacopocalypse posted:

I dunno. From what Koopa Kid said I think you can boost/barrel roll after the first attack, but the attack isn't re-measured so it'll be pointless. I guess instead all you can do is focus/evade for the second attack.

Can you even focus/evade? I don't think you can even do that now. No reason why those actions would be treated differently than boost/barrel roll, right? I don't think it's a "the attack isn't re-measured" but instead a "you can't do any actions so re-measuring doesn't matter" scenario.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 26, 2016

• Locked thread