Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

80s James Hetfield posted:

Ok, so if you have Odric and Soulfire Grand Master out all your creatures have First Strike and Lifelink?

They have lifelink. They don't have first strike because you don't have anyone with first strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Anyway they did their 5c Ally commander in OGW so I'm sure it'll turn up eventually

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Honestly though, I'd be willing to bet mcmagic's money that the werewolf commander will be in Eldritch Moon.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Elyv posted:

It's more that it mentions planeswalkers

I think the only card with word "planeswalker" appearing on it below rare is despise

http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Aplaneswalker+%28r%3Acommon+or+r%3Auncommon%29&v=card&s=cname

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The main thing is that the color combination of the cards is finally going to matter again. I really hope tri-color and above dies a good death for a while.

And standard stops the loving shuffling. I am tired of shuffling. Every time your opponent gets to touch their deck there is opportunity to cheat and I am tired of micromanaging that poo poo in standard.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sickening posted:

The main thing is that the color combination of the cards is finally going to matter again. I really hope tri-color and above dies a good death for a while.

With the exception of some esper control variant, I agree

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

most of these are reminder text, but fair enough

also macabre waltz is getting a reprint with this art

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

whydirt posted:

Honestly though, I'd be willing to bet mcmagic's money that the werewolf commander will be in Eldritch Moon.

It'll be a UB werewolf horror thing just to piss off EDH players.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Given that gold cards are in every set now, and are generally more powerful by their nature, it doesn't make sense to restrict them to exactly one deck each.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
wait it flips back and forth and it bolts and makes wolf?

:livintrope:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Given that gold cards are in every set now, and are generally more powerful by their nature, it doesn't make sense to restrict them to exactly one deck each.

If gold cards can go into everything than that effects balance of the game. Gold cards shouldn't be strictly better without a downside. Their mana requirements should do exactly that, heavily restrict what decks they can go into.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I think every single one of those apart from despise is either reminder text for Trample or some variation on "when this creature attacks/deals damage to a player or planeswalker".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

Hooray for literal art. That's cool with Madness.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sickening posted:

If gold cards can go into everything than that effects balance of the game. Gold cards shouldn't be strictly better without a downside. Their mana requirements should do exactly that, heavily restrict what decks they can go into.

We've had "Siege Rhino is the best so everyone plays Abzan", do you really want to subtract a colour from that?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Barry Shitpeas posted:

:what:

There is nothing about the first part of that statement that implies the second.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I want to play Arlinn, but there's definitely some awkward bits to her. In an R/G aggressive deck (which I kind of assume is her natural home, mmmaybe she slots into something more midrange?) you want to drop here, pop out a wolf, and then start pumping your team on the way to her ult (which is fairly attainable, I think, even though you do have to take the turn to transform her so it's not as fast as it looks), except that unlike the front side's vigilance, that's stripping away a lot of her defense. I think she's going to be trickier to play with than she looks.

Basically I think that despite being a strong ability, the bolt kind of throws off what you really want to be doing with her.

I think all of her effects are what a midrange deck would want, but the trick will be to making sure you're able to use an ability when you want to. Tying her flips to her most useful on-board abilities was a cool design.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

We've had "Siege Rhino is the best so everyone plays Abzan", do you really want to subtract a colour from that?

I don't feel you have thought this through very well. How does subtracting a color make it more restrictive?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

I think every single one of those apart from despise is either reminder text for Trample or some variation on "when this creature attacks/deals damage to a player or planeswalker".

Devour in Flames can hit Planeswalkers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
T1 Land
T2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
T3 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
T4 Arlinn Kord // Arlinn, Embraced by the Moon
T5 Sarkhan Unbroken
T6 Chandra, Flamecaller

:v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wonder if we'll see a Moonmist reprint.
When the Origins flip-walkers came out people were joking that it killed them, but that could actually be a reality in Standard.

Angry Grimace posted:

Devour in Flames can hit Planeswalkers.

OK that's two.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

T1 Land
T2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
T5 Sarkhan Unbroken
T6 Chandra, Flamecaller

T7 Karn
T8 Ugin

(in modern)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Assault Suit is in there but it's an uncommon because it's in mutliple commander precons, because "can't be sacrificed" is actually horribly confusing.

Most of them are Myriad and Trample reminder text, including cards printed long before planeswalkers.

Tenth Ed card really building your case m8.

Quite a few more are about being attacked.

Four name types, of which planeswalker is one.

Specifically manipulating planeswalkers is the domain of two cards in that search. Despise can discard them and Devour in Flames burns them.

So, yeah, not something they do below rare very often.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

there is also the reminder text for myriad and list of card types

more pertinently, there are also cards like circle of flame or sphere of safety, so I was wrong but there are not many, especially if you take out the cards in Commander sets

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sickening posted:

I don't feel you have thought this through very well. How does subtracting a color make it more restrictive?

Because you have one colour of cards less to choose from when deckbuilding?

If they print a Siege Rhino-equivalent in WB and only two-colour decks are viable, then you have to play WB as opposed to having the option of Abzan, Mardu, &c.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sickening posted:

You missed the point as hard as you possibly could. Dropping a color makes it less restrictive, and having 1-2 color decks just means everyone runs the same poo poo in a given color/pair. 3-4 color decks have way more variety because there's so much good stuff to put in them, so the decision becomes which good stuff. These past couple years have been the most enjoyable standard seasons for me because everyone has access to whatever mana base they think they can run along with whatever spells they think are the best, with no one coming to a consensus. It'll be really sad to see fetches go because we'll likely return to "well I want to play X card, so I have to support it with half or more of my deck" samey bullshit.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Think about Crackling Doom. In the previous standard it was the best removal spell that no-one was playing because the rest of Mardu was trash. Once BFZ came in people could combine it with Jeskai or Abzan and it was finally viable. Similarly you could have a good card that is unplayable in 2c but could fit with a third colour.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Elyv posted:

:captainpop: That's actually way less horrifying than the original art, which is easily one of the top 5 creepiest magic arts of all time.

Lol at the angel statue playing violin in the background

Also seems like an amazing card to reprint with Madness.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

T1 Land
T2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
T5 Sarkhan Unbroken
T6 Chandra, Flamecaller

*T1

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Elyv posted:

But... there's only one dead creature in that art.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

T1 Land
T2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
T5 Sarkhan Unbroken
T6 Chandra, Flamecaller

T1 Oath of Nissa, obviously

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

does she have an M on her forehead because she is now a servant of the wizard Babidi?

Also that doesn't depict a waltz unless you see how their feet are moving :colbert:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Because you have one colour of cards less to choose from when deckbuilding?

If they print a Siege Rhino-equivalent in WB and only two-colour decks are viable, then you have to play WB as opposed to having the option of Abzan, Mardu, &c.

Sorry but 4-5 good stuff decks with perfect mana was dumb and all of you that want to keep that going are dummies.

And no, the fewer colors in a card the more variety of decks it can go in. Mulitcolor cards are suppose to be powerful but limits your mana options and limits the decks it can go in. If you can't grasp this basic concept please seek help.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I didnt know how to analyze her but she has 4 abilities, can protect herself on both sides, generates value on the front with the wolf and an ultimate that should end games in a midrange deck. She also can generate creatures for her +1 abilities. Seems good.

E: Oh yeah also bolt, I've heard, is good.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 15, 2016

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
All Arlinn really needed was the line of text that says she can be your commander, although I guess both sides have way too much malarkey to have that happen.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Arlinn actually seems very good to me. Her 0 is worse than Xenagos' but after that she has the ability to both apply pressure and remove things. 4 mana walkers rarely get to generate board presence and kill stuff, and she does also have the Gideon style anthem thing going.

I like the design on Odric. It's probably not playable but it presents an interesting deckbuilding puzzle. If you can find a reasonable way to jump and give doublestrike to your whole team it could be good.

e: I like that he's worded to avoid midcombat blowouts, too.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 15, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I feel like Odric will probably be playable. He needs a board presence to be good, but he's very strong when he works, he can have an impact the turn he comes into play, and 3W makes him fairly easy to cast. You probably wouldn't want to build a deck that relies on Odric to function but he seems pretty easy to find room for in decks where he could be good.

He gives you the potential to make some really bullshit keyword combinations that are normally very hard to get on the same card like First Strike + Deathtouch. If there are cards with those keywords that are worth playing in their own right then Odric can push them over the top, and even just doing something like tacking flying onto a bunch of aggressively costed ground beaters could be pretty big game.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 15, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think Odric will see exactly much play this time as he did in M13.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Arlinn actually seems very good to me. Her 0 is worse than Xenagos' but after that she has the ability to both apply pressure and remove things. 4 mana walkers rarely get to generate board presence and kill stuff, and she does also have the Gideon style anthem thing going.

I like the design on Odric. It's probably not playable but it presents an interesting deckbuilding puzzle. If you can find a reasonable way to jump and give doublestrike to your whole team it could be good.

e: I like that he's worded to avoid midcombat blowouts, too.

How good would Xenagos have been without Elvish Mystic? And he had a terrific ramp shell to play him with in addition to mystic. We don't know if Arlinn does.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
If you play a hill giant its just going get reflector maged

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Entropic posted:

I think Odric will see exactly much play this time as he did in M13.

At the very least he's better than Allies since he requires you to play one overpriced medicore body to give effects to your whole team, instead of making your entire deck out of them.

Oh, and he works on defense, too.

A big flaming stink posted:

If you play a hill giant its just going get reflector maged

Keep in mind that post-rotation Reflector Mage is mostly only going to show up in UW decks rather than getting jammed into everything that might want to cast him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Elyv posted:

• Locked thread