Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It will be nice when this Pharah meta ends and I can play Junkrat again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Verranicus posted:

It will be nice when this Pharah meta ends and I can play Junkrat again.

It's not that hard to kill her as junkrat

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pharah is infinitely better at killing junkrat than vice versa

you can still play as him tho

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Really, the best way to deal with her is to play to Junkrat's strengths: stay in or close to enclosed spaces she can't hit you from in the air, and either set up an ambush if she tries a ground attack on you, or strike at her when she's distracted by your teammates.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Or tell your soldier76 to kill her

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mechanism Eight posted:

Such great cards! Anyone with a similarly powerful gpu and a 60Hz screen should look into enabling nvidia fast sync when it becomes available in their drivers: it's an optimised triple buffer v-sync solution that eliminates tearing while also minimising input latency :)

I'm not paying 200 bucks in nvidia tax on top of a 500 dollar monitor for gsync :colbert:

I'd love to have a *sync 3440x1440 ultrawide...

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Manatee Cannon posted:

pharah is infinitely better at killing junkrat than vice versa

you can still play as him tho

As long as the pharah doesn't do something stupid like chasing after junkrats into small rooms/long corridors (why do i still do this)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ehud posted:

I bought a 1000 funbux Reinhardt skin and then got hooked on Pharah and Mercy

Pharah is my favorite character that I'm terrible at. Thankfully I already got one of the cool Purple skins for her and it looks better than her legendaries (Anubis)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish Competitive Skill Rankings were invisible, so people wouldn't freak out about it and just have fun, (including myself!)

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'm not paying 200 bucks in nvidia tax on top of a 500 dollar monitor for gsync :colbert:

I'd love to have a *sync 3440x1440 ultrawide...

I actually only have a 1920x1080 monitor that's only 144hz without Gsync. Overwatch runs smooth on highest settings (with some things turned down) at 135 fps average on a gtx 970. PS: You have to enable the 144hz option -in game-.

I do think though that the monitor/panel market is pretty messed up right now though for the reasons you say. Ideally all panel manufacturers would be moving to a higher refresh rate as a matter of course, just like they've been moving to a higher resolution, but for some reason they all seem so content with 60 hz. There really is something nice about higher refresh rates but it isn't so important as to justify the absurd premium that's usually asked for it.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Mister Fister posted:

As long as the pharah doesn't do something stupid like chasing after junkrats into small rooms/long corridors (why do i still do this)

I get killed out of the air by conc mines to the face more often than I'd like to admit as pharah

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Thor-Stryker posted:

Overwatch Sambra Edition: would you please shoot me in the head you loving apple colored tart?

Maybe it will be a mix, shoot healing pods and damage pods,

Maybe in lore its a half cyborg Pahrah's mum?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Pharah is my favorite character that I'm terrible at. Thankfully I already got one of the cool Purple skins for her and it looks better than her legendaries (Anubis)

stop firing rockets to the head you loving grape colored tart

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

ImPureAwesome posted:

I get killed out of the air by conc mines to the face more often than I'd like to admit as pharah

Exactly, playing demoman all the time on tf2 helps.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man played 6 rounds of Volskaya that took almost an hour and the last round we are attack with 17 loving seconds on the timer from spawn from round start. We somehow managed to cap within 17 seconds with a dual winston setup and just before the bar filled up one rear end in a top hat on the enemy team quits. We got like |...| this much xp for an hour of loving gameplay and win.

I try one more time and the game puts some lvl 25 shitlord on our team that try to play bastion against a tracer/pharah team and never switched. So that's a whole level lost.

Moral of the story is: never solo queue competitive.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Or at least wait until they fix that problem. They said they're working on it, since it was mathematically fine but was only being used to grief.

I've retired comp on PS4 until leave penalty and Torb get fixed.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just had a unfun bug pop up during a competitive match, my voice commands weren't working which I found odd, so I decided to hit ESC, big mistake.

I had to play the entire final round with the ESC menu blurriness and no HUD for cooldowns and the enemy Reinhardt was entirely invisible, while others on the enemy team like 76 and genji had red outlines.

Still won.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
It took me 87 games but I finally got back to the rank I placed at after my 10 placement games. Such a slog

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ehud posted:

I bought a 1000 funbux Reinhardt skin and then got hooked on Pharah and Mercy

Thankfully the best Pharah skin is only like 75 gold, the titanium one.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Star posted:

It took me 87 games but I finally got back to the rank I placed at after my 10 placement games. Such a slog

2 losses, down to 48 again. :( Such a harsh world we live in

whyme
Jan 10, 2012
Still not back up on the rank I placed at, so many shitlords placing around the same rank not realizing there's actually a metagame. #FeelsBrexitMan

I seem to get all the bastion and zenyatta mains in my games

whyme fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 9, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

whyme posted:

Still not back up on the rank I placed at, so many shitlords placing around the same rank not realizing there's actually a metagame. #FeelsBrexitMan

I seem to get all the bastion and zenyatta mains in my games

practice your aim and it doesnt really matter who your team mates are

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

flashman posted:

I decided to practice my aim in quick play and practice my mercy/rein/Lucio in comp.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

flashman posted:

uh bro I main mercy ok

But seriously, I went Mercy on defense last night because we had two tanks and I think the res is pretty valuable on choke point heavy maps where you can res an entire team because they died close together.

D.va slipped past the choke point through the window to the top left. We get alerts that an enemy is on the checkpoint and nobody moves. I'm on the mic, "Guys, there is an enemy D.va on our point. She's going to cap it if we don't get her off. *silence* Can somebody break off and kill the enemy D.va? We're going to lose if we don't get her off of our point."

So nobody responds or moves, I break off healing to go kill her with my pistol, she dies, so does the rest of my team because they didn't have a healer and they sucked anyways, I couldn't slip around and get the res off because it was 5 v 1, and we lost the first point and eventually the match."

Do people play with the sound off or something? :psyduck:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Like I almost wonder if there should be a quick intro that explains each map before the match starts.

I'm convinced that a bunch of people don't know how to play each map. Or maybe they just don't care and want to play a death match.

Maybe they should add a death match mode for idiots.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think it's some of that bystander effect. "someone else will do it". Maybe say like "hey reaper come with me" to call out specific people.

Or they don't give a poo poo. Could be some of that too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Xguard86 posted:

I think it's some of that bystander effect. "someone else will do it". Maybe say like "hey reaper come with me" to call out specific people.

Or they don't give a poo poo. Could be some of that too.

That's a fair point. I just want to make sure I don't become annoying bossy teammate guy on mic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ehud posted:

Natural Selection 1 did this and it basically killed the game because nobody would play anything else.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Ehud posted:

That's a fair point. I just want to make sure I don't become annoying bossy teammate guy on mic.

Xguard is right, call out names and don't be hesitant or questioning about it.

"76 and Mei, Enemy on the point" is often enough.

Essentially be Authoritative but don't expect it to work every time and don't be an rear end about it. Thank yous if they do what needs to be done, move on if they don't.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ehud posted:

Like I almost wonder if there should be a quick intro that explains each map before the match starts.

I'm convinced that a bunch of people don't know how to play each map. Or maybe they just don't care and want to play a death match.

Loading screens in HOTS show the map mechanics in brief (or at least they did the last time I played, which was decades ago).

Could do that.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

You mean like the ones they have in tf2 that I have to skip so I can get into the game?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
tracer needs side mirrors so i can stop teleing into walls

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Blizzard has one very good design decision in this game which is exactly not having dm. People would just grind it out forever and it would be a mode where half the heroes were useless.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Dm would be 12 bastions waiting around in different corners of the map

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hanzo is fun

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Christ imagine if the game for a map with the same layout as 2fort.

10 widows and 2 hanzos.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I wonder what ctf maps would do for this game

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
They tried to make it work but it ends up not being very fun when its all tracers and lucios. You could make the flag nerf you, but then its just zaryas and reinhardts. Basically blizzard doesn't like loving with peoples abilities per game mode basis, which has made for a lot of weird design experiments in wow pvp over the years.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snazzy Frocks posted:

a lot of tracers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I liked CTF in tf2 but in Overwatch you have a lot more options for movement and mobility; keeping it balanced and fun would be a nightmare.