Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Feces Starship posted:

but noble labours

That's why it's so depressing, good men are forced to work under unacceptable conditions when carrying out some of the most important duties imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Schitzo posted:

Our professional liability insurer sent around their annual report a couple of weeks ago. I'm a junior tax lawyer, and noticed that, by volume, tax claims comprised 1% of all negligence claims last year. (Seems reasonable, the tax bar is pretty small). By contrast, real estate and litigation were like 30% each.

Then you flip the page and it's a chart of total dollars paid, by area of law. I guess that 1% of claims accounted for 26% of the dollars paid last year.

Good to know that nobody screws up like we do, I guess?

Tax is nothing but a field full of malpractice landmines.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Schitzo posted:

Our professional liability insurer sent around their annual report a couple of weeks ago. I'm a junior tax lawyer, and noticed that, by volume, tax claims comprised 1% of all negligence claims last year. (Seems reasonable, the tax bar is pretty small). By contrast, real estate and litigation were like 30% each.

Then you flip the page and it's a chart of total dollars paid, by area of law. I guess that 1% of claims accounted for 26% of the dollars paid last year.

Good to know that nobody screws up like we do, I guess?

I'm a 2L looking into Tax as a practice area. I'm trying it with my firm this coming summer, and I've taken Fed Tax and Corporate tax this year.

What does Tax practice mostly consist of, day to day?

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

woozle wuzzle posted:

Yeah, I remember going through graduation with this feeling of impending doom. Like I was at a big happy party, but I knew nuclear war just started and I was waiting on the missile flight time.

Good thing it's articling that's facing us next year. And the bar stuff, but we don't worry about that as much (not yet anyways although I know the frustrations that's coming my way).

Grad was fun. Glad I went but having to eat banquet food while relatively sober is a terrible experience. I've been wonderfully drunk the last 4 times I've eaten a banquet dinner so I had forgotten how terrible it can be. I was trying to keep the drinking under control for my mom but I'm pretty sure she judged me when I went to pour myself a second small glass of wine.

Side note, I got my first call from the provincial Law Society (so our Bar people) regarding an "error" on my application. Apparently, they'd rather have me lie about who's supervising me for my civil areas as opposed to being honest and saying it's still in negotiations. (I'm in a criminal firm so I have to go to another firm for a bit to experience the workings of civil law.)

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

Lilosh posted:

I'm a 2L looking into Tax as a practice area. I'm trying it with my firm this coming summer, and I've taken Fed Tax and Corporate tax this year.

My day tends to vary depending on who I'm working for that day. To paint with a broad brush, the big areas are going to be either tax planning (corporate reorgs, trusts for wealthy individuals, etc.) or dispute resolution and litigation.

Planning is mostly writing memos to clients proposing plans, chasing down necessary info (cost base of shares, etc.), and preparing the agreements and other documents to implement it. As a junior, it's mostly implementing the plans that someone much smarter than you has thought of, and trying to figure out how it works.

Dispute resolution would be letter writing and appeals with the Canada Revenue Agency, taxpayer relief applications, the odd file that actually doesn't settle at the administrative level and gets taken to court.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Schitzo posted:

My day tends to vary depending on who I'm working for that day. To paint with a broad brush, the big areas are going to be either tax planning (corporate reorgs, trusts for wealthy individuals, etc.) or dispute resolution and litigation.

Planning is mostly writing memos to clients proposing plans, chasing down necessary info (cost base of shares, etc.), and preparing the agreements and other documents to implement it. As a junior, it's mostly implementing the plans that someone much smarter than you has thought of, and trying to figure out how it works.

Dispute resolution would be letter writing and appeals with the Canada Revenue Agency, taxpayer relief applications, the odd file that actually doesn't settle at the administrative level and gets taken to court.

Ahh, thanks!

So there's a sort of transaction and litigation side to tax as well? Do people specialize in one or the other, or are most (like you) doing both?

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

Lilosh posted:

Ahh, thanks!

So there's a sort of transaction and litigation side to tax as well? Do people specialize in one or the other, or are most (like you) doing both?

I think the litigators are usually ok with the simple corporate matters, but the corporate guys aren't going to be dabbling with discoveries and the other nuts-and-bolts litigation matters. Tax litigation is a real niche within a niche.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Schitzo posted:

I think the litigators are usually ok with the simple corporate matters, but the corporate guys aren't going to be dabbling with discoveries and the other nuts-and-bolts litigation matters. Tax litigation is a real niche within a niche.
On occasion I see tax planning guys try to litigate something and it has never ended well for them. Everyone thinks they can be Perry Mason with no practice.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
I ask because I'd like to get through my future career (or at least the foreseeable future) without having to ever litigate anything if ever possible.

From what you're all saying, it sounds like I hopefully should be able to do that.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

10-8 posted:

On occasion I see tax planning guys try to litigate something and it has never ended well for them. Everyone thinks they can be Perry Mason with no practice.

If I decide to go through the whole law process in the future, this will be my life's new goal: to be the Perry Mason of tax. Though the thought of ending up the Lionel Hutz of tax is what makes me hold off on that decision for now.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
how do I become the Saul Goodman of tax

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Aim for being the Gene Hackman of tax, and miss.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
My goal has always been to be the Elle Woods of intellectual property.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
All I want in life is to be the Phoenix Wright of animal law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdkHUwu1cHQ

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I want to be the Raymond Babbitt of criminal law.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Jack McCoy of space law.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Meatbag Esq. posted:

My goal has always been to be the Elle Woods of intellectual property.

I unironically want to be Elle Woods. That scene where she gets Chutney to admit she killed her father because there is no way she would've taken a shower after getting a perm? Brilliant.

I also want to rock a pink suit. I'm going to watch that movie today.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Lilosh posted:

IP > all other bodies of law.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I just want her job.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I unironically want to be Elle Woods. That scene where she gets Chutney to admit she killed her father because there is no way she would've taken a shower after getting a perm? Brilliant.

I also want to rock a pink suit. I'm going to watch that movie today.

I've actually never seen the original movie. Only the musical when it was on MTV a few years back. I still listen ok sing along to the soundtrack to feel better about myself. Speaking of which......

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

I didn't find that even remotely brilliant. Everyone should have picked up on that the moment she filed the report. It was painfully obvious. The fact that that was the big reveal at the end of the film cheapened the entire experience. How the hell would anyone miss that? "Oh I got a perm and then took a shower."

Edit: However, Elle Woods is much better looking than most other law students/attorneys, so there's something to strive for.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 2, 2012

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

HiddenReplaced posted:

I didn't find that even remotely brilliant. Everyone should have picked up on that the moment she filed the report. It was painfully obvious.

Not everyone can be as smart and intelligent as you, okay? 15 year old me should have picked up on all of the foreshadowing and references the first and only time I watched the movie in its entirety.

Legally Blonde isn't on Canadian Netflix and I don't own the DVD. drat.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HiddenReplaced posted:

I didn't find that even remotely brilliant. Everyone should have picked up on that the moment she filed the report. It was painfully obvious. The fact that that was the big reveal at the end of the film cheapened the entire experience. How the hell would anyone miss that? "Oh I got a perm and then took a shower."

Hahaha yes of course! All those old male criminal defense attorneys should have totally picked up on the perm/shower inconsistency.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Not everyone can be as smart and intelligent as you, okay? 15 year old me should have picked up on all of the foreshadowing and references the first and only time I watched the movie in its entirety.

To be fair, I hadn't seen the film until about 2 months ago, and I had just gotten a perm.

entris posted:

Hahaha yes of course! All those old male criminal defense attorneys should have totally picked up on the perm/shower inconsistency.

You're right, it's not like male perms were ever popula...oh wait.

Also, the movie clearly establishes that Elle and her band of buddies spend tons of time going through all the documents and reports multiple times well before the trial. Yet, some how, no one picked up on it until the day of the trial.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 2, 2012

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

My hair holds a perm like you wouldn't believe, so when I used to get perms I'd come home and immediately wash my hair to avoid looking like a poodle for the foreseeable future. And the perms still lasted for months. So there Elle Woods!

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

:wotwot:

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Copernic posted:

Unto you, barbarian, I give a key, for you shall drive this party forward.

Unto you, thief, I give a clock, for you shall steal the very minutes from time itself.

Unto you, wizard, I give electricity, so that you might cow the ignorant with your intelligence.

Unto you, dwarf, I give a house, so that you might be built like a brick one while drinking your mead.

Unto you, bard, I give music, because you're loving useless otherwise.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
lilosh check your email please

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Green Crayons posted:

Unto you, thief, I give a clock, for you shall steal the very minutes from time itself.

Unto you, wizard, I give electricity, so that you might cow the ignorant with your intelligence.

Unto you, dwarf, I give a house, so that you might be built like a brick one while drinking your mead.

I appreciate this immensely.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I have a situation where I represent 3 clients with the same cause of action against one defendant. I normally flat fee but I'm going to bill these folks hourly. How do I divide the time up ethically?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Roger_Mudd posted:

I have a situation where I represent 3 clients with the same cause of action against one defendant. I normally flat fee but I'm going to bill these folks hourly. How do I divide the time up ethically?
Multiply it by three, duh

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Elotana posted:

hahahaha

*slowly drags razor over wrists*

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SWEET, the department of education decided to surprise me and take a stab at my income for IBR a full 15 days before their stated deadline for me sending them my tax return

not sure what math they're doing that makes me think i'll have this $1,100 for them every month, i suppose i'll have to call them and ask them about this in the morning

(don't go to law school, this is how much money the government thinks you need to make for you to pay back that loan and you probably never will)

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 3, 2012

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

You got them all to sign waivers right?

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Elotana posted:

No, divide it by 1/3 so then you're technically dividing the time among them. Then if someone finds out you just say you're bad at math. They will believe you since you went to law school.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 24, 2017

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

Cormack posted:

No, divide it by 1/3 so then you're technically dividing the time among them. Then if someone finds out you just say you're bad at math. They will believe you since you went to law school.

Am i a bad lawyer? I don't see much wrong with splitting it 3 ways, as long as none of the three has some unique issue that needs extra attention.

Oh. Divide by 1/3, i get it. Well played. That probably would be enough for plausible deniability, especially if it has an assistant's name on it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Green Crayons posted:

This is great.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Schitzo posted:

Am i a bad lawyer? I don't see much wrong with splitting it 3 ways, as long as none of the three has some unique issue that needs extra attention.

Oh. Divide by 1/3, i get it. Well played. That probably would be enough for plausible deniability, especially if it has an assistant's name on it

No, i honestly think dividing it by 3 and billing each of them is the correct way to do it, so long as whatever you're working on is useful for all three clients. So if you take 6 hours to do some background research and write a motion, you bill each client 2 hours. It might also be worth looking up some double-billing cases in your jurisdiction - I know you'd be in trouble if you billed each of your clients 6 hours in this example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dividing by 3 is not the same as dividing by 1/3.