Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
E: nvm, misread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Can anyone tell me what the cannon difference is between normal EW wing kits and the Kai p Bandai kits? I know they're differently colored kits than the normal version, I just don't know where those other colors come from.

Personally I think they're way better colors than the normal version but I'd hate to buy it and find out their some random Manga alternate color backpage foldout and that's it.

The P-Bandai versions are from the Endless Waltz OVA, the regular release ones are from a manga reboot of Gundam Wing called Glory of Losers.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Oh man that is a stone cold name

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I just unpacked from my trip to Japan and uhhh.

I did not have that luggage space going over, so I guess add another suitcase to that pile.

Also Akihabara has nothing on the shopping experience of Shinjuku.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just went from having no idea what a Ball was to discovering there were like 5 kits of this stupid thing and I want them all??

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I just went from having no idea what a Ball was to discovering there were like 5 kits of this stupid thing and I want them all??

It's got the distinction of being probably the cheapest MG available :v:

(not counting addon backpacks)

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
That's a lot of Unicorns. I'm excited for my trip next week because they'll be releasing that clear MG Sinanju, that thing looks rad as hell.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I saw that on my way out and was gutted. They have a sample of it and it looks amazing.

Yeah it's a lot of unicorns but they were out of a lot of the special editions. Plus the HG were like 15 bucks so its not all bad.

Yodabashi in Shinjuku is spread across 8 separate stores with multiple levels. It's insane.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 5, 2017

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Puddin posted:

Yodabashi in Shinjuku is spread across 8 separate stores with multiple levels. It's insane.

All of that being Gundams?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I wish. There's a map for all the different departments in the area. Akihabara probably has the biggest range, something like 6 aisles packed to the gills, but with more stock of each item.

Probably the same in actual individual lines, but there's a heap more stores in Shinjuku and it's a larger area to walk around. Plus you have Sofmap, Bic camera, Mandarakes and heaps more. Tons of record stores as well if that's your thing. Akihabara is good to experience once but Shinjuku is the real deal.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Did you get a 7 11 Gundam? It's not a complete trip if you didn't get one.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
gently caress!!!

I knew there was something I forgot.

E: to top it off, I think I left/lost the nippers I bought over there too. Thankfully they weren't God Hands or anything super expensive.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 6, 2017

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Is there anywhere to check what the current 7-11 gunpla kits are available? Is it whatever is the newest kit or do they sell older ones?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Every day I am physically hurt by the lack of an official Pepsiman GM

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

A friend went to Japan recently and picked up these extremely topical gifts for me:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Now I kind of want a Barbatos in 7-11 green and white. While the ANA 00 Raiser worked I'm not sure it would go well with Barbatos.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Gundam dot Info has another poll up -- this one for next MSV Gunpla, maybe, possibly, who the gently caress knows?

http://www.gundam.info/top.php

Choices in order are:

Guncannon II
GM Light Armor
GM Trainer
Zaku Desert Type
Zaku Marine Type
Zaku Tank
Zaku Flipper
Psycommu Zaku
Gouf Test Prototype
Prototype Dom

Please do the right thing (hint: almost any one of them would be the right thing.)

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Zaku Flipper and Zaku Tank are very good, imo.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neurolimal posted:

Every day I am physically hurt by the lack of an official Pepsiman GM

That's because Bandai doesn't want to associate with a lovely soft drink. Always drink Coca-Cola.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mimir posted:

Zaku Flipper and Zaku Tank are very good, imo.

I'd buy Zaku Tank even if it was an overpriced P-Bandai with an uncalled for ~specialu~ coating.

Finally got around to putting together RG Sinanju. The weird frame stuff was even weirder than I had expected. Seeing how every advanced MS joint runner is pretty much exactly the same dimensions, I get that perhaps there are some size limitations, but did it really save them that much money to do the weird frame adapter parts instead of throwing in a second advanced joint runner?

Other than that though, I found the finished result to be very pleasing. The inlays on the metallic parts put it ahead of both the HG and MG models and the gloss finish on the red plastic works really well too, though it did make it fairly brittle and harder to cut. I've also ordered the P-Bandai extras which should be coming at the end of the month.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Gundam dot Info has another poll up -- this one for next MSV Gunpla, maybe, possibly, who the gently caress knows?

http://www.gundam.info/top.php

Choices in order are:

Guncannon II
GM Light Armor
GM Trainer
Zaku Desert Type
Zaku Marine Type
Zaku Tank
Zaku Flipper
Psycommu Zaku
Gouf Test Prototype
Prototype Dom

Please do the right thing (hint: almost any one of them would be the right thing.)

no Zuck, I'm boycotting this vote.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

RillAkBea posted:

Seeing how every advanced MS joint runner is pretty much exactly the same dimensions, I get that perhaps there are some size limitations, but did it really save them that much money to do the weird frame adapter parts instead of throwing in a second advanced joint runner?

It really does. This is not a line they should be cutting corners on, though. When dissatisfaction is as widespread as it was in this case, it actively hurts the brand.

Neurolimal posted:

no Zuck, I'm boycotting this vote.

Wrong series, bucko.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
If we vote Zaku Tank we'll be one step closer to an official MG Magella, freeing me from what looks to be the hell that is the Motor King Magella

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dagon posted:

A friend went to Japan recently and picked up these extremely topical gifts for me:

Every time i read "ball twin set" i giggle a little because i am mentally 5 years old.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well, after like 2 years of not building kits, I'm finally in a semi-permanent location and can do it again. I think I'm going to do primarily HGs now instead of MGs just due to time requirements and selection.

It looks like a lot of stuff is expensive web exclusives now, huh? That kinda sucks. Like, the MG GM Command and GM II are web exclusives as far as I know.

They actually did answer my prayers and made a MG GM Sniper II, something I never thought would happen. Now they need to make a RE 1/100 Hygogg.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, after like 2 years of not building kits, I'm finally in a semi-permanent location and can do it again. I think I'm going to do primarily HGs now instead of MGs just due to time requirements and selection.

It looks like a lot of stuff is expensive web exclusives now, huh? That kinda sucks. Like, the MG GM Command and GM II are web exclusives as far as I know.

They actually did answer my prayers and made a MG GM Sniper II, something I never thought would happen. Now they need to make a RE 1/100 Hygogg.

The GM Command is actually a regular release, apparently. Comes out next January.

The GM Command Space Type is P-Bandai. Which, you know. Fair enough, even if I'd prefer the reverse. It's odd that the P-Bandai was announced first, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
These new GMs might get me to buy an MG at last. Love me some grunt suits.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I'm gonna replace the side cutters I left in Japan. If I had the choice between Tamiya 74035's and God Hands with the God Hands being like $10 more, I should just get the God hands right?

I'd get the gundam planet nippers however in Aus they are more expensive than the God Hands.

E: gently caress it I bought the God Hands.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 7, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

These new GMs might get me to buy an MG at last. Love me some grunt suits.

Me too, but all my MG grunt suits are monoeyes, either Zeon or Titans. Now that the GM Sniper II, GM Sniper Custom and GM Command are a thing, it's time to change that.

I guess I just like snipers. The Zaku I Sniper is also cool.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Is there any way to build the cables on a MG Zaku without hurting my fingers? drat things really stay stuck in there.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
You can get "soft" pliers that would probably help immensely, but they might not be worth the expense unless you plan to start a Zaku collection.

Might also try soaking the cables in warm water and gripping the segments with a cloth when pulling, but the wetness might actually complicate matters.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
But we'll all be disappointed you didn't destroy your fingers like we did.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's a purifying right of passage.

Duplicate
Jul 7, 2007
Lucky me.
The way I do it is to hack off parts from the side of the cable to make it thinner. The part that the cable links (or whatever they're called) start on is a little thicker than the part that actually ends up on the Zaku, so getting them started is the hard part. If you slice off parts along the length of the starter part, it makes it a lot easier to move the links on to the final piece, and the starter part gets thrown out anyway so it doesn't matter.

Figuring this trick out was the only way I could convince myself to build another one of these things.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m trying something really stupid and spraying on the runners before cutting them and assembling my MG Kampfer. I had decent luck with an HG Exia before, so I’ll try to cross my fingers. I just don’t know a good method to keep all my parts organized so I don’t mix them up when I disassemble+paint+put back together.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I’m trying something really stupid and spraying on the runners before cutting them and assembling my MG Kampfer. I had decent luck with an HG Exia before, so I’ll try to cross my fingers. I just don’t know a good method to keep all my parts organized so I don’t mix them up when I disassemble+paint+put back together.

Don't do that. Cut 'em off the runner and sand down the nubs first.

The worst Gundam build experience I ever had was then I did that. To make matters worse, it was the inner frame of the Unicorn Gundam and I was trying to do a candy coat of silver then clear green. Just... don't. Don't do that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Too late I already did it

I bought a hobby organizer tray off Amazon, so I won't fall for this mistake again

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For color separation I just use ziplock bags, since I tend to spray everything the same primer and it can get confusing :v:

I guess you could try that for keeping assemblies together.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Duplicate posted:

The way I do it is to hack off parts from the side of the cable to make it thinner. The part that the cable links (or whatever they're called) start on is a little thicker than the part that actually ends up on the Zaku, so getting them started is the hard part. If you slice off parts along the length of the starter part, it makes it a lot easier to move the links on to the final piece, and the starter part gets thrown out anyway so it doesn't matter.

Figuring this trick out was the only way I could convince myself to build another one of these things.

That and trim down the length of the rod as you remove the segments so you only have to work them down a couple of millimeters of the rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I think I might have used pliers to lightly grab behind the links and then pushed them off instead of grabbing the link itself. It was a couple years ago though so I'm not sure I remember correctly.