Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Happy long weekend everybody! Come back with tales of playing Space Alert with Aunt Shirley!

Edit: Everybody American, anyway.

Codenames came out today and I managed to grab it right before a week-long vacation where I'm visiting a ton of friends. Already played a few games with my family. We all know it's gonna be great, but uhh, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Bringing Codenames to a big board game get together, will report, much excitement.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Floodworks posted:

The first time I played Cosmic, I had never heard of it, there were no old nerds around and I didn't know about SU&SD or the dice tower. I loved the game. But I've also hated the game. It all depends on who I'm playing with. The guys I normally play with talk everything out, bluff, make threats, get into the spirit of it, and that is always a great time. We spend more time yelling at each other than flipping cards and moving saucers around. But I've also played it with people that just go through the bare mechanics, bitch about overpowered aliens and are obsessed with the RNG. That sucks. It is like playing a pen and paper role playing game with some one who just wants to focus on the probability of the dice rolls and the stat modifiers on their character sheets. I don't think cosmic is a perfect game but I do think there are people that will get and others that just won't.

This sounds exactly like the old RPG argument that "the rules aren't broken if you don't have any filthy munchkins in your group". If you enjoy the group and the role-playing more than the mechanics of Cosmic Encounter , why don't you play something like Fiasco, which does a much better of facilitating role-play.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

golden bubble posted:

This sounds exactly like the old RPG argument that "the rules aren't broken if you don't have any filthy munchkins in your group". If you enjoy the group and the role-playing more than the mechanics of Cosmic Encounter , why don't you play something like Fiasco, which does a much better of facilitating role-play.

It also sounds like the asinine "the game doesn't matter, only the group does" argument used to prop up lovely RPGs by claiming that even a lovely game can be fun if you have the right group. Which may very well be true but it conveniently overlooks the fact that you aren't forced into a binary choice of fun games with assholes or bad games with cool people, and if you have a good gaming group that can even eke fun out of sub-par games then it stands to reason that they could derive just as much fun, if not moreso, by playing better games.

Again, if you like bluffing, threats, and loving over your friends then play Skull. Skull is a good game and you can get in like 3-5 rounds in the time it takes to play a single game of Cosmic Encounter.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If people like the game they are playing wtf don't they play some other game instead? GOD

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Speaking of asymmetric powers, has anyone tried Voyages of Marco Polo? The different player powers sound as game breaking as the ones in Cosmic Encounters. I get the impression that it is still really well balanced, despite the game changing powers

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

lordsummerisle posted:

Speaking of asymmetric powers, has anyone tried Voyages of Marco Polo? The different player powers sound as game breaking as the ones in Cosmic Encounters. I get the impression that it is still really well balanced, despite the game changing powers

I've played about 5 or 6 of the different traders, and they're all viable. Ultimately it depends on the board setup (specifically in Expert mode).

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

lordsummerisle posted:

Marco Polo remains a very well balanced game with a ton of replayability. It offers a lot of great, crunchy options in a super quick package. If you can find it, I'd recommend getting it.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Looking to launch into our first Imperial Assault campaign in the next week or so. I'm probably the most familiar with the game, so I'll take the empire.

No one has any experience with Descent etc -- any tips in running it or anything we should look out for?

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

The Mantis posted:

Looking to launch into our first Imperial Assault campaign in the next week or so. I'm probably the most familiar with the game, so I'll take the empire.

No one has any experience with Descent etc -- any tips in running it or anything we should look out for?

In my experience, the Imperial player does not need to pull punches for the Rebel players to have fun -- both sides should do their best to win. There's a fair amount of setup and teardown time to the game -- lots of tiles and bits -- so it may be more efficient to play a couple of missions per session if you have the time. That's all I got; we found it quite fun and fairly straightforward (we're only about five missions into the campaign, though, so maybe some weird stuff comes up later).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing that seems to be the biggest stumbling block with ImpAss is the Imperial player should be very aware of precisely what he's supposed to read aloud to the table and when. A lot of horror stories seem to center around the Imperial player withholding crucial information from the Rebel players that he's actually supposed to be sharing with them.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Kai Tave posted:

The thing that seems to be the biggest stumbling block with ImpAss is the Imperial player should be very aware of precisely what he's supposed to read aloud to the table and when. A lot of horror stories seem to center around the Imperial player withholding crucial information from the Rebel players that he's actually supposed to be sharing with them.

Is there some variability to the hiden info in impass? I ask from a replayability perspective. I know there's like an infinite amount of poo poo to buy, but it's more about like being an overlord and a rebel in two different groups.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lichtenstein posted:

Is there some variability to the hiden info in impass? I ask from a replayability perspective. I know there's like an infinite amount of poo poo to buy, but it's more about like being an overlord and a rebel in two different groups.

I have very little hands on experience but from skimming the scenario book it looks like that there are times during certain missions where the Imperial player gets a choice of Bad poo poo to have happen. So like once the players achieve X of Y objectives then you might get to close and seal the blast doors leading down the corridor OR have an extra enemy spawn at this location OR another thing happens. But I don't think there's anything that drastically throws repeat players a curveball as a mission they thought they knew suddenly becomes something else entirely.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Which one of you guys already bought LE: Predator and wants to scan in all of the cards and the player's mat so we can get it running on Tabletop Simulator? I've been playing LE: Alien on there alot and would love to see Predator available too. My demo at Gencon was pretty rough and I'd love to get another crack at it without complete newbies playing that get us all killed. Well, terrible luck with the strike deck really did us in, but eh. I'll blame the newbie that was basically a waste of turns. Actually the player's mat really isn't necessary. It would be the hardest part to scan in. If we had scans of the cards, they could just be added to the LE: Alien mod. One big mod would be cool, then you could mix them no problem. I'll probably end up buying Predators myself eventually. Just want to get my fill of Aliens first.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Mantis posted:

Be aware that there's a co-op variant on Boardgamegeek for when one side inevitably gets pissed off about consistently losing and getting fewer rewards as a result.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Thanks to whoever posted the UK codenames link, I bought that immediately :getin:

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The Supreme Court posted:

Thanks to whoever posted the UK codenames link, I bought that immediately :getin:

And me.

Although annoyingly my next planned boardgame meetup will only have four of us. So it'll have to wait.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Codenames is fine with four!

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Isn't four ideal?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rusty Kettle posted:

Isn't four ideal?

I would expect six and eight to be good because you get multiple people bickering over what the Spymaster meant.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

hito posted:

Codenames is fine with four!

We did it 2 player to learn it for today. I'm really excited; it's quite good.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Rusty Kettle posted:

Isn't four ideal?

Surely you want at least six, so there's a leader and two people to argue on each team

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
I had the most fun at 4 and 6 players, gets a little hectic at 8+ but its still good. Such a good game!

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Two Rooms and a boom doesn't look horrible from that SU&SD video, is the only problem with it being disasterously late on the kickstarter promise?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Two Rooms and a boom doesn't look horrible from that SU&SD video, is the only problem with it being disasterously late on the kickstarter promise?

It's a solid (very) large group game, if you have people who are willing to speak up. That last been has caused the game to flop a few times for me; Not just people being quiet nerds or whatever, but people unsure of the rules or what to do tend to just sorta shuffle around and do what other people tell them is a good idea unless they arbitrarily decide not to trust someone. If you can avoid this (or can convince people that the first game will probably be boring and/or confusing but to just stick with it anyway) then it's nice.

Also I sorta hate the storage solution a lot - the box is small and I really appreciate that, but it's just a big empty space and there's hundreds of cards in there. It'd have been nice if there was even just a "beginner cards, intermediate cards, expert cards, 'generic' cards" separator or something.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The thing about two rooms and a boom is that at any party large enough to play it there's going to be someone green enough for you to mislead into giving you way more information than they should. Especially if you can catch them in room of mostly unfriendly cards.
Edit: two other things:

1. For a game about holding information, the rules are very vague about what is considered cheating.

2. Many of the extra roles can contribute to the "no one ever reveals" problem in the Meta that some groups have by giving people easy outs for not sharing or by disincentivizing sharing.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 5, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The game definitely feels like it was designed for things like college game clubs or conventions, yeah. It really doesn't work with a mixed group.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

The Supreme Court posted:

You're welcome!

I was F5ing the various UK sellers I know after I saw that some places in the US were going to have them in on Friday the 4th.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Picked up Codenames from my FLGS last night, played 4 rounds of it back-to-back with 7 people, and everyone had a blast.

Best part of the evening was when one of the spymasters said "Tennis, 2" thinking that his team would obviously choose "ball" and "court". It was his teams first turn, and he didn't read all the other cards that were down, including about half a dozen other cards like "score", "match", and "net". Most of which actually ended up being agents for his team anyway, but of course his team chose the one card among them that was on the other team right off that bat.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Duct Tape posted:

Picked up Codenames from my FLGS last night, played 4 rounds of it back-to-back with 7 people, and everyone had a blast.

Best part of the evening was when one of the spymasters said "Tennis, 2" thinking that his team would obviously choose "ball" and "court". It was his teams first turn, and he didn't read all the other cards that were down, including about half a dozen other cards like "score", "match", and "net". Most of which actually ended up being agents for his team anyway, but of course his team chose the one card among them that was on the other team right off that bat.

I enjoy how often this happens, especially with newer players. Always leads to that "ah-ha" moment when they realize the real challenge of being the Spymaster. I've been playing a few games of this weekly since GenCon pretty much (plus GutterOwl's PbP thread), and it's always a big hit.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Just played Spectre Ops. Is this considered a good game? Not sure what to think.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Cocks Cable posted:

Just played Spectre Ops. Is this considered a good game? Not sure what to think.

What's your take on it? Better to hear it fresh before consulting the crowd

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Can anyone help ID the game these coins in my friends picture here one from? We're all drawing blanks.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...e4a&oe=5673B7CC

Phone posting so hopefully that link works.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 6, 2015

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

The End posted:

What's your take on it? Better to hear it fresh before consulting the crowd

I think I liked it. Game play was like Letters from White Chapel but with special bullshit powers and a Shadowrun like theme. Some characters and powers are better than others so there's variability for good and bad. Like you could purposefully handicap yourself against an inexperienced team.

White Chapel seems solid. So it's a question of is there a semblance of balance with that extra veneer of wacky powers added or is it pretty impossible with certain combos? Seemed really hard for the hunted guy. He played the Cobra which IMHO sucks.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So I've never played GtR but Mottainai is pretty good. I'm questioning my decision to get the deluxe version though because I have my doubts as to the game's suitability with more than 3 people. Unless everyone was a veteran checking the tableau effects would be a nightmare (and I think some of the "oooh I don't want to play this because it would give him too many actions" strategy would be lost at 4/5). There's a team variant actually for 4 so I'd probably go that route should I ever try it at that number.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
http://boingboing.net/2015/08/20/bycatch-card-game.html

Drone strikes are one hell of a thematic to base an entire game around, let me tell you.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Merauder posted:

Can anyone help ID the game these coins in my friends picture here one from? We're all drawing blanks.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...e4a&oe=5673B7CC

Phone posting so hopefully that link works.

Looks like it might be Colosseum?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Azran posted:

http://boingboing.net/2015/08/20/bycatch-card-game.html

Drone strikes are one hell of a thematic to base an entire game around, let me tell you.

Saw this earlier in the week. Cute idea, but reading the rules shows the implementation is pretty rough. Udayasankar and co were clearly going for message over system. It's interesting the way Train is interesting, rather than the way COIN is interesting. It'd be neat to see the mechanic expanded into a more cohesive consim, though.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Has anyone played Legendary Encounters: Predator yet? For someone who has neither, would it be better to start with Predator or Alien?

Saguaro PI posted:

Looks like it might be Colosseum?

This is what I thought at a glance but pulling the box out and checking confirmed they aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Today I held a game of Titan at the local games shop. I enjoy having it there as it's a longer game with elimination, so it's good to have an environment where there are other things to do, games to play, and less pressure to stick around than at a home. I was the one to take advantage of that, as I made an early error that exposed my Titan (mixed up two enemy stacks, thought the weak one was the one near me) and got crushed.

Pleasantly surprised to see they had Codenames in, as all the Canadian online shops I've tried have been out. I acquired it after I got knocked out of the Titan game. Everybody online and locally seems to enjoy Codenames. It's one of the most proxiable games I've seen - using a tablet or just paper cards with a cutter would be pretty easy and not lose much - but it's not that expensive and it's nice to funnel a little money to Vlaada and game people, instead of printer and ink people.

We also had a game of Specter Ops. Gun, Beast, and Psychic were hunting Bluejay. We got her twice early, but she used a bunch of powers to slip by and rapidly complete the 3 objectives. It felt hopeless, but eventually she ran out of tricks with a very nice hologram deception and we took it slow to reacquire her (car, Post-Cognition). She almost tricked us by stepping into our LOS and then moving to a place for which she didn't actually have to let us see her at all, but we eventually thought of that and didn't commit too much. As it seemed she should be at 1HP, I blocked a northern street with Gun's Sniper shot and Beast blocked the only hidden way through that line; Bluejay conceded as she would now lose on turncount and the store was closing soon. An alternate possible plan was trying post-cognition every turn with the Beast hunting her down.