Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

"Are you now, or have you ever been, a Troper?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
As riveting as all that is, I personally am just waiting for Jim (loving) Sterling (Son) to release his to 10 shittiest games of 2016. Out of boredom I tracked down the countdowns for the last 5 years too, just for ~~memories~~.

Here they are:

2010 - https://youtu.be/Z-eHJ-XmOZM
2011 - https://youtu.be/ID_X2tYMO40
2012 - https://youtu.be/enr-lONBrco
2013 - https://youtu.be/3UqjqzFHY3g
2014 - https://youtu.be/o_O4K5HQtgo
2015 - https://youtu.be/8nd6I9W_z6Y

Interesting note - the 2011 list also demonstrates why Jim wears a hat all the time now.

I only started following Jim properly once the Digital Homicide Saga first hit and following that has been tremendous fun ever since.

Here's a playlist recapping that too - https://youtu.be/VfI7pAaOH9c?list=PLaJT5iRDit90kzBd5xdv98GE7jXKZwg5u

I personally think that DigiHom will fade into obscurity in 2017 after their current lawsuit peters out into nothingness. Which is ashame - I do want to see more temper tantrums and more dumb arguments from them if only to provide a small glimmer of entertainment in the bleak future year of 2017.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

There will always be some future clown who's super mad and super overconfident.

And there's always Konami!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

cat doter posted:

as good as both those villains are, it has been a historically lovely time for villains imo, most of them these days are just a white dude that had something happen in his past and now he's massively over-reacting
I don't know why the MCU is so bad with their villains, I mean they see how popular Loki was and decide not to make villains as interesting or compelling despite the fact that Loki didn't stop people from liking Thor.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know why the MCU is so bad with their villains, I mean they see how popular Loki was and decide not to make villains as interesting or compelling despite the fact that Loki didn't stop people from liking Thor.

Yeah, the only live action Marvel villain who comes close at all is Kingpin in Daredevil, who is pretty drat compelling.

Actually, the Netflix shows have a decent success rate with villains come to think of it. Kilgrave and Copperhead were both pretty good too. Probably helps that they have 12-13 hours to develop rather than the 2-.5-3 of a movie.

EDIT: \/ yeah AoU is a particularly bad one. Spader was AWESOME in the part but the script failed him.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 23, 2016

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, the only live action Marvel villain who comes close at all is Kingpin in Daredevil, who is pretty drat compelling.

Actually, the Netflix shows have a decent success rate with villains come to think of it. Kilgrave and Copperhead were both pretty good too. Probably helps that they have 12-13 hours to develop rather than the 2-.5-3 of a movie.

when i watched daredevil for the first time it made me unhype for age of ultron since i know it wouldn't be as good.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The dude has played a Bond villain, a Marvel villain, Hannibal Lecter, and soon a Hideo Kojima villain. It was nice to see him play a fundamentaly decent human being for a change.
Don't forget that movie where he raped a chicken.

Edit for content: Kyle's Christmas episode is a miserable holiday movie for a miserable year. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjtKXVnSnJI

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Ultron was actually the MCU's best villain.
Also, stop taking BotL's bait.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Beefstew posted:

Also, stop taking BotL's bait.

he was the brightpoint of that film, the hulk/widow love story was not and ruin the film for me. it was too forced.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 23, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

KayTee posted:

As riveting as all that is, I personally am just waiting for Jim (loving) Sterling (Son) to release his to 10 shittiest games of 2016. Out of boredom I tracked down the countdowns for the last 5 years too, just for ~~memories~~.

Here they are:

2010 - https://youtu.be/Z-eHJ-XmOZM
2011 - https://youtu.be/ID_X2tYMO40
2012 - https://youtu.be/enr-lONBrco
2013 - https://youtu.be/3UqjqzFHY3g
2014 - https://youtu.be/o_O4K5HQtgo
2015 - https://youtu.be/8nd6I9W_z6Y

Interesting note - the 2011 list also demonstrates why Jim wears a hat all the time now.

I only started following Jim properly once the Digital Homicide Saga first hit and following that has been tremendous fun ever since.

Here's a playlist recapping that too - https://youtu.be/VfI7pAaOH9c?list=PLaJT5iRDit90kzBd5xdv98GE7jXKZwg5u

I personally think that DigiHom will fade into obscurity in 2017 after their current lawsuit peters out into nothingness. Which is ashame - I do want to see more temper tantrums and more dumb arguments from them if only to provide a small glimmer of entertainment in the bleak future year of 2017.

Part of me wants to just nominate Steam as worst game of the year. I think Sterling said they 60% of all games on Steam were released this year and it's making the Wii pale in comparison with the heaps of poo poo and shovelware on the platform now.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Darth Walrus posted:

What do you mean by 'deconstruction', though? Because the TVTropes definition is pretty far off from the original (nigh-impenetrable) Derridan definition, which basically involves breaking something down into its components until you start finding irreducible conflicts of meaning in order to be exactly clear on what is meant - for instance, what makes a house a house rather than a mansion, shed, or apartment?

I would argue that TFA seeks to do this with the concepts of good and evil in the stars wars universe, but perhaps to not a very extreme extent

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The movie was called Age of Ultron when Ultron was hardly in the movie. James Spader stole the film when he actually had some screentime and they weren't faffing around with the Vision and setting up Thor 3 and all the other stuff the film gets sidetracked by.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

OldMemes posted:

The movie was called Age of Ultron when Ultron was hardly in the movie. James Spader stole the film when he actually had some screentime and they weren't faffing around with the Vision and setting up Thor 3 and all the other stuff the film gets sidetracked by.
The funny thing is with Thor 3 is that the director has said he hasn't watched the previous Thor or Avengers films so he's going to do his own thing for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LFK posted:

Edit for content: Kyle's Christmas episode is a miserable holiday movie for a miserable year. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

this movie is one of my favorites and it totally is a fitting holiday movie for many many reasons this year

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

The funny thing is with Thor 3 is that the director has said he hasn't watched the previous Thor or Avengers films so he's going to do his own thing for it.
I feel like in this case that's going to be expressed aesthetically more than anything else. Maybe a lack of the built up cruft that's been dogging Captain America (Winter Soldier and Civil War are functionally Avengers 2 and 4).

Marvel has a master roadmap they're working from for the next decade, so story beats and overall plot are basically dictated to the screenwriters, and the director by proxy.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I love when someone desperately tries to steer the conversation back towards Internet Critics and movie chat just continues unabated around them.

Anyway, here's a new Best of the Worst, Christmas themed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urd5vtoGmfI

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mischalaniouse posted:

I love when someone desperately tries to steer the conversation back towards Internet Critics and movie chat just continues unabated around them.

I just figure it'll wear itself out eventually, and there's nothing keeping people from talking about multiple topics at once.

Apparently, the... whatever anti-SJWs are called have been stirred up by his new Xmas thing. That's something, I guess.

https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/812055990518579200

https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/812284041567281152

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Toxic masculinity isn't a thing and I don't care about it. I don't care about it so much that I'll fight you I'LL FIGHT YOU! I'LL FIGHT YOU RIGHT NOW LET'S GO! <tears up while grimacing>

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

LFK posted:

I hope Kyle's playing up his distress and is actually okay, because his latest couple of videos have been pretty bleak (as well as being very good).

Edit: They're called a lot of things, but "awful people" works pretty well.

kaleidolia fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 24, 2016

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

This Christmas, I wanted to look at my all-time favorite Christmas special, A Muppet Family Christmas, the big Avengers-style crossover of the Muppets, Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock, and explore what it has to say about the relationship between family and Christmas.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: \/ yeah AoU is a particularly bad one. Spader was AWESOME in the part but the script failed him.

I'd argue that Kilgrave was only a good villain because he had such little screen time. I'd say of all the main actors in that show he's honestly probably the worst (and I do love Tenant in other stuff). Everyone else is pretty grounded and un-hammy and then Tenant goes full into his "What if Barty Crouch was a rapist?" persona and it's kind of at odds with everyone else's acting. I think it works pretty well because he's in relatively little of the show, and that kind of exaggerated character works when he's mysterious and hard to pin down, the more you reveal about him the less good his character becomes. Honestly it falls flat IMHO because most characters in that show are pretty grey morally (or, well, the MCU's idea of what a morally grey character would be) and then he's just a straight up comic book villain. It also makes (again, IMHO) a lot of the points and themes they were bringing up related to sexual assault, consent and rape in the first half of the show become a bit less legitimized. It ignores one of the most important parts about those things and instead of making him a character with some kind of depth that has twisted or poorly thought out motivations (IE what most actual rapists are), he's literally a near parody checklist of what people imagine a crazy rapist is (foreign, creepy, nerdy weirdo, obsessed loner, uses drugs or magical seduction, abused by parents, the list goes on). He's far from a bad villain, but I wish they hadn't given him so many handwaves and had instead dedicated any amount of serious time or storytelling to explaining why that thing made him act the way he did. He kind of starts as "oh he's the creepy stalker obsessive type guy, but he has the powers to actually accomplish his crazy goals" which honestly is a creepy and good enough backstory, but then they try and split it with "and also he's basically a grown up version of that kid from one of the best episodes of TV ever" with occasional stops to the well of "he's a serial killer guy and so naturally he's just craaaaaazy". It's the LOST problem really, as long as you're leading people along a mystery if what you say has an air of being compelling you can basically say whatever and it will draw people along, but once you actually start explaining things you better do it very selectively or else you just end up with a bunch of people sitting around going "oh, huh, I guess, well, yeah ok..." which is basically what happened in LOST as well, mysterious people who do horrible things are loving compelling because they are beyond understanding and humans have a deep fear of people who act in deeply wrong ways they cant understand. Sometime you just don't need to say stuff about a character and that makes them better, Tom Cruise's character in Collateral is a great example: we don't need to know WHY Vincent is a murderous, extremely driven, broodingly charismatic, amoral rear end in a top hat, only that he A) Is and that is scary and B) that Jamie Fox (representing us normal rational non-murderers) is disgusted by this and as a moral person needs to try and stop him. The conflict boils down to can one unskilled/average person with principles shared and honored by most people prevail and win over a person who is basically a brutal unceasing force of nature and that's a good loving conflict right there. I really like Jessica Jones but I think it kinda goes off the rails near the end and that the last few episodes actually undermine a lot of the good storytelling that was done earlier by seemingly needlessly dealing out resolutions to things that didn't need them.

Beefstew posted:

Disney has the rights to Runaways, right? They should totally bring out Ultron's son, he's a cool character.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

cat doter posted:

I disagree that I'm misusing them but I also do not care for this conversation so farrrrrrrrrrrrrt

You're not misusing them. Lamps clearly doesn't know what those words mean or how to use them.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Characters are just devices to tell stories, and should be judged by their stories.

This also shows a massive lack of understanding of basic storytelling.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Karloff posted:

This also shows a massive lack of understanding of basic storytelling.

You write the plot, and then messily dictate the character's actions to fit the needs of the plot so that they seem like literal crazy people, right?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I know that "subverting and deconstructing tropes" means something, it's just meaningless in a critical context. Thinking in terms of "tropes" is useless to critical discussion, because reifying storytelling devices distracts from actual nuance. And even then the TvTropes definition is so incredibly lame that being meaningless would be preferable.

Characters are just devices to tell stories. Their function is to specifically represent different aspects of humanity and the human experience, which is of course an invaluable role, since every story is about human experience to some degree. A common mistake is to assume that the point of stories is to be about characters (instead of the human experience), in other words to assume that the characters are an end to themselves. This logic is behind nonsense like "likability".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 24, 2016

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Oh, I'm willing to concede that "subverting and deconstructing tropes" means something, it's just that the meaning so incredibly lame that being meaningless is preferable. Thinking in terms of "tropes" is useless to critical discussion, because reifying storytelling devices distracts from actual nuance.

Characters are just devices to tell stories. Their function is to specifically represent different aspects of humanity and the human experience, which is of course an invaluable role since every story is about human experience to some degree. A common mistake is to assume that the point of stories is to be about characters instead of the human experience, in other words to assume that the characters are an end to themselves. This logic is behind nonsense like "likability".

I'm going to go against my own advice here just to say that this is literally the most incorrect thing that's ever been said in this thread, and that's saying a loving lot.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Controversial opinions: TvTropes is dumb, and characters are the human element of stories.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh, I know that "subverting and deconstructing tropes" means something, it's just meaningless in a critical context. Thinking in terms of "tropes" is useless to critical discussion, because reifying storytelling devices distracts from actual nuance. And even then the TvTropes definition is so incredibly lame that being meaningless would be preferable.

Characters are just devices to tell stories. Their function is to specifically represent different aspects of humanity and the human experience, which is of course an invaluable role, since every story is about human experience to some degree. A common mistake is to assume that the point of stories is to be about characters instead of the human experience, in other words to assume that the characters are an end to themselves. This logic is behind nonsense like "likability".

Characters are meant to represent different aspects of the human experience, but the story that's about the human experience is not about the characters that represent said human experiences?

I can't tell if you're just horribly wording your points, or what.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

Characters are meant to represent different aspects of the human experience, but the story that's about the human experience is not about the characters that represent said human experiences?

I can't tell if you're just horribly wording your points, or what.

Stories are about characters when you're talking on the level of plot summaries. Hamlet is about Prince Hamlet, The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy is about Jacob Burckhardt's conception of Renaissance Italy, Star Wars is about some jerks in space, etc. But there's more to stories than plot summaries.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 24, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like you didn't answer my question. Just repeated your point without elaborating on anything.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well that's fair, I basically chopped of the explanation from there but in my defence it's Christmas Eve.

You can say that the Conan the Barbarian stories are about Conan, but to discuss them further you need to explore how the stories use him to convey energy and empowerment, how Robert E. Howard conceives the character as a force of vitality against crypto-fascist notions of decadence, how the character fits into tradition of pulp, and all that other smarmy stuff.

Viewing characters as an end to themselves means losing sight of this and giving them a sort of "real," concrete existence when they're just abstractions of word and image. People tend to reify characters like this when they discuss them in terms of continuity, faithfulness ("[X] wouldn't do this!"), and "likability" (where you start getting almost into the territory of Marxist reification). I could go on but I really want to spend time with my family.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
long time lurker and i just gotta say botl you are loving INSANE

merry christmas

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Controversial opinions: TvTropes is dumb, and characters are the human element of stories.

why you keep banging on this drum I'll never know

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

like trope is just a convenient shorthand for describing certain recurring story themes and it's a succinct term in certain contexts, but you can just let silly internet politicking dictate your speech if you want I suppose

plus I think it's cool when a filmmaker or writer uses them properly

think about it this way, the language of filmmaking is just that, a language, it didn't spring out from the ether fully formed, it was developed over a long time and there's a certain cultural understanding needed to understand what all these filmic "words" are, so to speak

like the jump cut just seems to be a normal and logical part of how we tell stories visually but you have to remember someone INVENTED that poo poo

the same idea applies for narrative as well, rather than just film technique, there's always certain shortcuts you can take to tell efficient stories by using things that need a certain cultural context to be understood

if you can work off the assumption that the audience knows what the hell the force is, its rules and how its affects characters, then that right off the bat provides a lot of interesting story potential as well as potential for that boogie oogie subversion you love so much

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: argument's gone too long already

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 24, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Hey good to see your video is back up, hbomb. Besides The Golden One has anyone else ever tried to strike you for covering them? With that huge kerfuffle that happened with Jordan and Davis I figured one of them would have come after you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Might have missed it, but Ross has a new Game Dungeon episode out for the holidays.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

e: argument's gone too long already

Thank you for this present. Merry Christmas.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tracula posted:

Hey good to see your video is back up, hbomb. Besides The Golden One has anyone else ever tried to strike you for covering them? With that huge kerfuffle that happened with Jordan and Davis I figured one of them would have come after you.

I'm just eagerly anticipating that 4chan thread finding out that Hbomb is a goon so that they can all swarm unto SA in a glorious flood of :10bux: bans.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

poparena posted:

This Christmas, I wanted to look at my all-time favorite Christmas special, A Muppet Family Christmas, the big Avengers-style crossover of the Muppets, Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock, and explore what it has to say about the relationship between family and Christmas.

this was great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Golden One is the first copyright claim. Disney have monetised a couple of my videos for using their music, so I guess they've made $12 from one of the star wars videos. The only other thing that irks me is, whenever a place like /pol/ talks about me, I get a flood of people who call me a cuck and deny the holocaust, and simultaneously a group who accuse me of posting about myself on /pol/ for attention and how dare I imply /pol/ are a bunch of holocaust-denying Nazis, and by the way, they're trying to make white people a minority 1488 1488 hillary has kuru-

Like, there's a great deal of impotent rage toward the various sides of their in-groups, but they're so aware of how hard it is to get through to each other that all of their contradictory angry shrieks get directed at their perceived enemies instead in the hopes of proving their strength. All it's taught me is that anonymous message boards with little to no moderation make you into a stupid racist clownperson who is Mad On Twitter.

• Locked thread