Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's become a meme for my friends entirely because we can hammily shout it even around our non-EW friends and it's fine because it just sounds like something dumb that some boss at some point probably said to them.

It and 'SLOPPY' are literally the two best reaction shouts to have and bless the writers for giving them to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I can't believe one of the Endwalker predictions I got right was that there would be a meme around a hammy Zenos line.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 8, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's a fair bet when Zenos is involved.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it was a good bet but it was also a fairly safe bet, Zenos is memeable in some form in most of his appearances.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My prediction of "We will team up with Zenos" 100% came true and I feel very vindicated.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

sexpig by night posted:

yea it was a good bet but it was also a fairly safe bet, Zenos is memeable in some form in most of his appearances.

Is he, though? Because I feel like nobody remembers a single word he says in all of Stormblood.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I was cracking up laughing at his "what is there to life beyond Fromsoft" speech before the fight, only to have him lose again, complain some more about how he doesn't get friendship, then roll over and die. Something about the whole weight of everything being lifted wrt Meteion and then his rear end clomps into the scene like a more pathetic Ben Shapiro just to be like "the gently caress are friends even? fite me"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Is he, though? Because I feel like nobody remembers a single word he says in all of Stormblood.
Even with ignoring the rest of his spoken dialogue, I've heard random people meme the Ala Mhigo battle lines like "HAVE YOU THE STRENGTH?"

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Cleretic posted:

before ew some good lines were LET THIS MOMENT LAST FOREVER or REND. KILL.

anything from his fight in ala mhigo basically

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

Have you the strength?
The power to transcend!
Rend!
Only man has the wisdom and clarity to embrace violence for its own sake.
My first friend. My enemy.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Have you the strength?
The power to transcend!
Rend!
Only man has the wisdom and clarity to embrace violence for its own sake.
My first friend. My enemy.

how could I forget

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Macaluso posted:

My prediction of "We will team up with Zenos" 100% came true and I feel very vindicated.

The arena isn't a part of the team!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I teamed up with Zenos to have a sick fight at the edge of the universe.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

OddObserver posted:

The arena isn't a part of the team!

My dude face tanked the heat death of the universe twice in a row while literally carrying you on his back, he was part of the team

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I teamed up with zenos and kissed him goodnight when he died

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I wasn’t fond of Zeno’s for most of his appearances, but the payoff was excellent.

“Why do they still live?”

Working on it dude

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Edmund Lava posted:

I wasn’t fond of Zeno’s for most of his appearances, but the payoff was excellent.

Working on it dude

He holds you in such high esteem its endearing

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Edmund Lava posted:

Working on it dude

Basically. That whole bit made me love the character.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

I was cracking up laughing at his "what is there to life beyond Fromsoft" speech before the fight, only to have him lose again, complain some more about how he doesn't get friendship, then roll over and die. Something about the whole weight of everything being lifted wrt Meteion and then his rear end clomps into the scene like a more pathetic Ben Shapiro just to be like "the gently caress are friends even? fite me"

did you even read his lines

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

This is what not reading does to an MF.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Let's say, hypothetically, I was curious about your reflexes. That I wanted to see how good they were. Test them, even.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FAUXTON posted:

He says the exact opposite of all these. He even opens about how you're the one person that might can understand him you're his only possible friend.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Igeyorhm/status/1491098795110637569

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He says the exact opposite of all these. He even opens about how you're the one person that might can understand him you're his only possible friend.

yea the whole point of his final scene is him very much showing that his 'my first friend. my enemy' poo poo wasn't him just tweaking us, we genuinely were the only thing even remotely near a 'friend' he had. That's why I'm on team 'Zenos summons the escape button to make sure you get out alive after besting him' for the final scene. It's not 'redemption' or anything dumb like that, it's just this sad broken man letting the only thing near a 'friend' in his life get out after finally getting his heart to heart with them.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

*guy realizes there's more to life than struggle and in his final moments bares his heart to say that his entire life was lived in vain*

THE WARRIOR OF LIGHT: lol say it dont spray it dumbass teleports away for some reason

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Seriously though, Zenos basically says he's got depression to Fandaniel in Garlemald and the heart to heart as he died was great. It was a nice reminder he could have been some one better - a good way to carry on one of Stormblood's major themes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zenos's monologues in the finale of Stormblood are all excellent and if you can't remember a single line from them then that just reflects really poorly on you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Zenos' character development was from someone whose social skills were so stunted that he saw no alternative but to force your hand to get his high, to someone who could do you a favor, and then ask for a favor in turn, as a sort-of friend. That favor was a fight to the death but who doesn't love a good tussle

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Zenos's monologues in the finale of Stormblood are all excellent and if you can't remember a single line from them then that just reflects really poorly on you.

I remember the line he cut through his own throat, does that count?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you can't even recall his line as he does that then there's no hope for you

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

I remember the line he cut through his own throat, does that count?

I mean it'd be the first line you DID remember correctly so I'll allow it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Zenos has his final monologue, talking about how in the end he had a hollow existence.

The WoL: “ugh I can’t believe this guy’s trauma dumping on me”

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
zenos is such a simple character with such a straightforward arc that it's hysterical it could go over anyone's head. a teenager told my man he has to cooperate with people or he won't get things that he wants and he went "huh... fair enough" and had a whole introspective journey about it. he is not hard to understand.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

if nothing else, the common read that Zenos is the ultimate endpoint of the garlean empire, the might-makes-right imperialist nonpareil who brings garlemald's core values to their logical and self-destructive conclusion, would seem to demand that the person underneath the ultraviolence ubermensch be acknowledged. if he just came out wrong from the get-go then that undermines both garlemald's throughline about people getting twisted into brutal machines under imperialism and endwalker's general "it's all just people doing their best, man" thesis. can't think of a way to handle him in endwalker that wouldn't have to at least nod to the possibility that he too is Just Some Guy, albeit in a completely different high-saturation lurid technicolor violence way.

also he wants you to tear his throat out with your bare teeth and that's cool and sexy so why shouldn't he get a monologue

(also Zenos calling you a savage and constantly doing "nature red in tooth and claw" poo poo to my hrothgar WoL in stormblood made me feel the faintest echo of what I've felt when I've been called racist slurs in real life which was a very fun video game moment and I'll always unironically appreciate that)

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 9, 2022

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

the implications are clear: if hermes had teamed up with his own self loathing to powerbomb meteion, all of this could have been nipped in the bud

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

the implications are clear: if hermes had teamed up with his own self loathing to powerbomb meteion, all of this could have been nipped in the bud

Hermes own Self Loathing would be a Frey roughly the size of the moon

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
ive never really dug the "zenos is distilled garlean ideology" read. characters like Varis, Gaius, and Quintus all explore their wacked-out mindset better while Zeno's big thing is isolation and ennui which are wholly unrelated. like yeah he says the words and does some of the empire-running chores but he's as disconnected from empire's goals and beliefs as he is from the rest of society. he really is just some guy who could have happened anywhere.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
zenos is my friend

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
he's the ultimate bestie

me when zenos comes back in 6.2 or whatever
https://twitter.com/lalaniue/status/1457701919258861570?s=20&t=FwvLPdA0OXuGdiU-Oh6VSQ

vvv but he's right. in ffxiv violence is absolutely freaken epic

YES bread fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

YES bread posted:

ive never really dug the "zenos is distilled garlean ideology" read. characters like Varis, Gaius, and Quintus all explore their wacked-out mindset better while Zeno's big thing is isolation and ennui which are wholly unrelated. like yeah he says the words and does some of the empire-running chores but he's as disconnected from empire's goals and beliefs as he is from the rest of society. he really is just some guy who could have happened anywhere.

A core component of fascism, and violent authoritarianism in general, is the glorification of violence. Violence for its own sake. Y'know, unlike the beasts that do it to eat or to breed.