Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PinheadSlim posted:

I don't know why, because I'm not a fan of the game, but I'm oddly excited for this release.

Maybe we'll even get models for a-historic tank variants from the game.

There's nothing stopping them from making the weird ones and then back porting them into FoW, so that it still serves the same purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Fish and Chimps posted:

Great for CoC though.

I bought the Stuart/Honey Sprue as well because I needed one tank to be my OP tank rather than a whole platoon of Honeys.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Nice to see the Allies embrace dunkelgelb :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

lenoon posted:

That’s pretty awesome

Yeah, the new baseline brit stats has them with a good "stay in a close assault" and "don't run off when you took casualties" morale, but terrible unpin. The intent is to reflect that, now being in France and off the beach, they feel like the job's done, and aren't eager to go running around to fight, preferring to sit in and defend their foxholes instead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zuul the Cat posted:

If you don't vote for Early War French it's a personal attack on me.

same

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, quick question, but does anyone know what the Italian Alpini/mountaineers would've used to tow their artillery pieces? Like, would they have used a horse/mule and limber, or a tractor of some sort?
(And if it's the latter...does anyone know what SORT of tractor? Since easyarmy.com only says 'tractor' in the list of tow options, and doesn't specify what model, etc)

Thanks!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, quick question, but does anyone know what the Italian Alpini/mountaineers would've used to tow their artillery pieces? Like, would they have used a horse/mule and limber, or a tractor of some sort?
(And if it's the latter...does anyone know what SORT of tractor? Since easyarmy.com only says 'tractor' in the list of tow options, and doesn't specify what model, etc)

Thanks!

Unless you want to tow a heavy artillery piece your best and (most likely historically accurate options) are just a truck of some kind or horse-drawn limber. Apparently the Italians also used a licensed version of this which they called the Breda 61: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd.Kfz._7

The great thing about having a truck is you can always use it to haul a bunch of infantry around if you end up not needing it to tow the artillery piece.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't know if they used it up mountains, but you should get one of these because it owns:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Endman posted:

I don't know if they used it up mountains, but you should get one of these because it owns:

hahaha ok, now THAT is pretty great! :D I just found this bad boy earlier, but I think the one you linked to makes more sense, seeing as the one I found is technically a light truck, and I can only afford a tractor. That's amazing though - assuming shipping isn't insane, that's way more hilarious!

EDIT: haha to make things better, it's probably barely smaller than my L6/40 flamer tankette! No doubt more comfortable for the driver too, although that's not saying much, I'm sure :D

EDIT EDIT: Yep, I'm sold. Ordering that li'l beaut now, hahah

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 16, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
fun fact for my friends the early war french: a lot of the same truck models driving around your favourite 1944 GIs were also driving around your badass early-adopter dragons portés in the DLMs.

and you can literally kitbash early war french with brits or americans to get a free third force!!!

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Hey guys I hope this is the right thread to ask this. My friend gave me a demo game of Bolt Action at my FLGS and I really enjoyed the system, so I'd like to get one of the starter armies and join in with my local community. I must admit to a shameful lack of knowledge on WWII and I noticed some of the sets are marked as early, mid and late war. Does this mean that an early war unit can't be used with late war units or is it just for people concerned with historical accuracy? How important is accurate painting of things like uniforms in general?

I haven't got the rulebook yet but I quite like the look of the Germans with their elite troops and good technology. I'm having difficulty picking between the blitzkrieg and grenadiers set and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which would be the most fun to play as.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Psyber Spine posted:

Hey guys I hope this is the right thread to ask this. My friend gave me a demo game of Bolt Action at my FLGS and I really enjoyed the system, so I'd like to get one of the starter armies and join in with my local community. I must admit to a shameful lack of knowledge on WWII and I noticed some of the sets are marked as early, mid and late war. Does this mean that an early war unit can't be used with late war units or is it just for people concerned with historical accuracy? How important is accurate painting of things like uniforms in general?

I haven't got the rulebook yet but I quite like the look of the Germans with their elite troops and good technology. I'm having difficulty picking between the blitzkrieg and grenadiers set and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which would be the most fun to play as.

Good news! German grunts did change a tiny bit over time (boots etc), but German logistics meant that you'll get by with older stuff later on as well. So if you pick up a bunch of the Blitzkrieg guys, you'd be able to field them in pretty much any period. The big difference would be support options (anti-tank guns got bigger, early war infantry guns and MGs will do in whatever) and tanks. A lot of the time the tanks are the same general chassis (like, pz III, pz IV) with some details changed (bigger guns, thicker armour). Unless your opponent is the worst kind of player, they should be fine with you fielding say, a Pz III aufs F as a Pz III aufs J.

For German armies, the biiig thing when painting tanks is that they changed the base colour in 1942-43 from grey to yellow/brown.

WW2 uniforms are pretty straight forward compared to many other periods. The cloth dyes varied a ton and often bleached over time, so don't sweat about getting the perfect shade. The German feldgrau can be anything from grey to green to brownish and all various shades inbetween.

Wehrmacht.jpg:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 16, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Psyber Spine posted:

From a uniform accuracy standpoint blitzkrieg uniforms would be from 1939 to 1942ish, while grenadiers would be from then until the end.

I actually suggest the winter German models because they can be used for the whole war, look boss as hell, and are easy to paint.

For tanks a Panzer IV will take you through pretty much the whole war and if you’re smart you can make the barrels interchangeable.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Psyber Spine posted:

The only early-war specific thing in the Blitzkrieg set is the early model Panzer IV. Everything else can be used for any period; The infantry uniforms didn't change much - The only differences, iirc, are that the boots got progressively shorter due to lack of leather and they got issued with double-sided camouflage ponchos sometime in the middle of the war. However, those weren't always worn.

Early war German infantry are perfectly passable as late war German infantry, unless you are playing with the worst kind of pendant.

Almost everything in the Grenadiers set is late war only; The infantry have MG-42s and Panzerfausts, the tank is a late variant of the STUG, the AT gun is 1942+, and the Puma is 1944+.

I'd suggest you get the Blitzkrieg set, because it will form a solid foundation to play any period, while the Grenadier set will restrict you to late war only.

E: Unless of course your local scene is like mine and just plays Late War. In which case, get the Grenadiers pack.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

The only early-war specific thing in the Blitzkrieg set is the early model Panzer IV. Everything else can be used for any period; The infantry uniforms didn't change much - The only differences, iirc, are that the boots got progressively shorter due to lack of leather and they got issued with double-sided camouflage ponchos sometime in the middle of the war. However, those weren't always worn.

Early war German infantry are perfectly passable as late war German infantry, unless you are playing with the worst kind of pendant.

Almost everything in the Grenadiers set is late war only; The infantry have MG-42s and Panzerfausts, the tank is a late variant of the STUG, the AT gun is 1942+, and the Puma is 1944+.

I'd suggest you get the Blitzkrieg set, because it will form a solid foundation to play any period, while the Grenadier set will restrict you to late war only.

E: Unless of course your local scene is like mine and just plays Late War. In which case, get the Grenadiers pack.

Well the blitzkrieg models for warlord have the gas mask pouch on their chest which is definitely an early war only item. Let's be honest though, if you're starting WW2 Germans you're eventually gonna end up with dudes from every era.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 16, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, it's nice to have a starting place but then you're bound to expand. I painted up my Fallschirmjägers for 1942 North Africa first, and now I'm painting up some 43-44 stuff for them once the basic platoon was done. So your FG-42s and other late-war toys.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Geisladisk posted:

Out-pedant them and point out that the early war equipment was re-issued to late war Festungsdivisions and Krankenbattalion units when they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for whatever troops they could throw into the grinder.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Out-pedant them and point out that the early war equipment was re-issued to late war Festungsdivisions and Krankenbattalion units when they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for whatever troops they could throw into the grinder.

Yeah, I was just thinking this! :D hahah

In any case, a friend of mine just played a game of Bolt Action, and sent me a message afterwards that he's found that apparently it's best (from a gameplay/mechanics perspective) to base artillery and its crew separately, so that you can spread them out a little more -while still remaining within 1" of the gun- so that they can't all be killed by a single HE shell.
So, is this correct? I imagine it's a lot easier to simply have everything on a large base (and probably looks better, seeing as you can have everyone clustered around the gun in their intended positions) but I'm also curious to know if this is true for anything else too, like mortars.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I mean RAW your friend has a point, but I think this is the wrong reason to do so. If anything I would base the minimum with the gun which is 3 guys in Bolt Action and then you can individually base a few more and add as needed to count-as if you went medium or heavy for a game. Or you play rulesets that let you attach additional crew to guns like I think Chain of Command does.

Speaking of rules I'm looking at To the Strongest and it's a neat enough game but holy poo poo this dude is meandering all over the place in this book. You're 37 pages in (of a 75 page book) before you even get to the turn sequence.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Springfield Fatts posted:

I mean RAW your friend has a point, but I think this is the wrong reason to do so. If anything I would base the minimum with the gun which is 3 guys in Bolt Action and then you can individually base a few more and add as needed to count-as if you went medium or heavy for a game. Or you play rulesets that let you attach additional crew to guns like I think Chain of Command does.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Like, have the standard three-man crew on one base with the gun, then just have the spotter separate. My aforementioned friend has his arty set up in this way, so I think I'll do the same so that I don't have a slight gamey edge over him.
(Speaking of spotters, does the spotter need to be within x inches of the gun, to provide his bonus? Or is it assumed that he has a radio and can bugger off to the other side of the map?)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

^Spotters have special setup rules. They're usually deployed right before the game starts just about anywhere on the map and radio back to the gun.

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, I was just thinking this! :D hahah

In any case, a friend of mine just played a game of Bolt Action, and sent me a message afterwards that he's found that apparently it's best (from a gameplay/mechanics perspective) to base artillery and its crew separately, so that you can spread them out a little more -while still remaining within 1" of the gun- so that they can't all be killed by a single HE shell.
So, is this correct? I imagine it's a lot easier to simply have everything on a large base (and probably looks better, seeing as you can have everyone clustered around the gun in their intended positions) but I'm also curious to know if this is true for anything else too, like mortars.

The spotter has to be separate - he's a second pair-of-eyes the artillery can use to draw line-of-sight so putting him with the artillery piece would defeat his purpose. Putting all the crew on individual bases around the gun is pretty rare, in my experience. Most people model them all on the same base although sometimes putting individual crew on their own bases that fit into the larger bases so they can be removed if they take casualties, like so:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Psyber Spine posted:

Since everyone already provided the helpful answers, I'll just drop this:

It's important to not buy into stuff like Clean Wehrmacht myth or JERMAN STEEHL going forward. Though if you have any questions about it all, this thread and the MilHist thread will be happy to answer in exhaustive detail.

E: some salty, salty fash has made his Allybingo card.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 17, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

JcDent posted:

Since everyone already provided the helpful answers, I'll just drop this:

It's important to not buy into stuff like Clean Wehrmacht myth or JERMAN STEEHL going forward. Though if you have any questions about it all, this thread and the MilHist thread will be happy to answer in exhaustive detail.

E: some salty, salty fash has made his Allybingo card.
That card is lies, doesn't even have the sherman:tiger exchange rate.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
As a lot of people are staying at home atm, I had the idea of setting up a discord to chat while modelling and painting. I'll post the link here in case anyone's interested in filthy historical chat: https://discord.gg/YjFAxu

Feel free to drop in.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I have literally never heard anyone who plays Allies say that Nagasaki & Hiroshima were legitimate targets. (They weren't, it was a war crime, as was Dresden. Fight me.)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

I have literally never heard anyone who plays Allies say that Nagasaki & Hiroshima were legitimate targets. (They weren't, it was a war crime, as was Dresden. Fight me.)

Hiroshima and Nakasaki were like 50/50, but Dresden was legit, at least as legit as massive strategic bombing against cities can be (not very). It was a major transportation hub.

But that discussion is probably more at home in the milhist thread which hashes that poo poo out like clockwork every few months, along with just what the hell a tank destroyer is.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Zuul the Cat posted:

Dresden was full of Nazis and therefore deserved to be burnt to the ground. :colbert:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Psyber Spine posted:

I haven't got the rulebook yet but I quite like the look of the Germans with their elite troops and good technology.

Their troops weren't elite and their technology wasn't good.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Cessna posted:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cessna posted:

Unfortunately this is Bolt Action we're talking about

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That's just pathetic.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Endman posted:

Unfortunately this is Bolt Action we're talking about

Fair point.

(You could say the same of Flames of War or any number of wargames that overrate the Wehrmacht.)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

For day two of the quarantine I painted this here spooky graveyard for Dracula's America.

*the good, the bad, and the ugly soundtrack begins playing*

Endman
May 18, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

For day two of the quarantine I painted this here spooky graveyard for Dracula's America.

*the good, the bad, and the ugly soundtrack begins playing*

This owns

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I ran out of washers! Curse my lockdown induced productivity!

:negative:

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 18, 2020

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Vicariously living through non-WFH goons' projects.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, quick BA question: Are spotters for arty able to shoot, if they have a gun on the model? I'd assume not, since I don't recall weapons being mentioned for them anywhere, but my infantry order arrived and I found that one of my guys with binoculars is holding a pistol with one hand, so I thought I'd check

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, quick BA question: Are spotters for arty able to shoot, if they have a gun on the model? I'd assume not, since I don't recall weapons being mentioned for them anywhere, but my infantry order arrived and I found that one of my guys with binoculars is holding a pistol with one hand, so I thought I'd check

Yes, but you only get one order dice for the spotter and their gun so only one of them get an action each turn.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

That's just pathetic.

I feel like it says a lot about the fascist mindset that they can't even invent a real bingo card that anyone who plays soviets or yanks would possibly fall into, they just reverse some of the wehraboo talking points and then invent some nonsense (and a lot of it is just more fash stuff but from :911: types instead of :hitler: types)

Also should point out that plenty of non-fascists play germans but also, they attract some bad seeds. Luckily, fascists who are also gamers tend to be the kind who love to make it very clear just how fascist they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also should point out that plenty of non-fascists play germans but also, they attract some bad seeds.

I have Germans.

But I have a lot more Soviets.