Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Kingdom of Smiles!!!!

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That's about as angry as an old Thai guy gets lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm bringing my family over to Thailand at the end of the year to meet my wife's family and do a wedding ceremony for her extended family, and after we're done there my brother wants to solo Vietnam for a couple of weeks. Any advice? I've been to Thailand a couple of times but not Vietnam so all I have for him is general SEA etiquette tips. I think his plan to to fly BKK to Ho Chi Minh City for a week-ish, then take a train to Hanoi for another week before flying back to BKK and then the US.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

C-Euro posted:

I'm bringing my family over to Thailand at the end of the year to meet my wife's family and do a wedding ceremony for her extended family, and after we're done there my brother wants to solo Vietnam for a couple of weeks. Any advice? I've been to Thailand a couple of times but not Vietnam so all I have for him is general SEA etiquette tips. I think his plan to to fly BKK to Ho Chi Minh City for a week-ish, then take a train to Hanoi for another week before flying back to BKK and then the US.

Stop in Hoi An along the way. Maybe get some beach time in way down south or up at Da Nang or just north or south of there (rent a scooter and go find a beach outside the city, theyre better) and visit Hoa at Hoa's Place and then hit up Hue. A few days in Hanoi and then meh, go to Sapa?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bardeh posted:

The emails I get from ThaiVisa are usually good for at least one hilarious trainwreck thread per day, but today's is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dJXR5iMYuc

Apparently this dude is building a house on his ex-wife's father's land, and as you can see from the video, the father loving hates him. Like, hates him enough that I wouldn't be surprised to see another story about a 'mysterious farang suicide' within the next couple of months. How the gently caress do people get themselves into these situations?

i rarely see thai people this loving mad unless it's murder o'clock (or they lost betting on the wrong thaiboxer which lol)

also legally speaking building a house on land legally owned by someone else means that someone else will own it so even more lol

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

I have never seen someone's face match his voice so perfectly before

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

ladron posted:

I have never seen someone's face match his voice so perfectly before
That's not the same guy though, he just put in the picture for fun. The picture is of the guy from this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOjYsha6Hr8

It's your average Thai girl/foreigner marriage disaster documentary with bias, but hey, nothing wrong with some schadenfreude now and then. I downloaded the whole thing and saw it a year or two ago - as far as I recall, the guy ends up leaving Thailand after being given the cold shoulder for years by the wife and flies back to England on a one-way ticket she mercifully bought him as a last kick out of there. With him and the film crew standing in the airport back in ol' England, he says to the camera something akin to "Well, here I am.... I've got the clothes on me back and about 300 Pounds. That's all I've got". Bummer :toot:.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pilsner posted:

That's not the same guy though, he just put in the picture for fun.

well now that's a drat shame

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i rarely see thai people this loving mad unless it's murder o'clock (or they lost betting on the wrong thaiboxer which lol)

also legally speaking building a house on land legally owned by someone else means that someone else will own it so even more lol

It's actually not uncommon and in some cases practically a mandated setup that foreigners in Thailand own the structure on the land but not the land. I've heard Americans are the only foreign nationals that can own a house and the land under it without a Thai coowner, everyone else either has a 99 year lease or sets up some holding company with a nominal Thai that has half of it but actually has no power to access or use it.

I never built on any property but I've heard these things (with small variation) from a handful of expats who have so maybe they haven't invented all of it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's actually not uncommon and in some cases practically a mandated setup that foreigners in Thailand own the structure on the land but not the land. I've heard Americans are the only foreign nationals that can own a house and the land under it without a Thai coowner, everyone else either has a 99 year lease or sets up some holding company with a nominal Thai that has half of it but actually has no power to access or use it.

I never built on any property but I've heard these things (with small variation) from a handful of expats who have so maybe they haven't invented all of it.

It's my understanding that it's not a US individual but a US company that can purchase land and that company has to be like an actual company with assets in the United States. I'm sure there are sneaky ways to get around the technicalities of the law though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The Amity Treaty is murky on that, we can get away with a lot, but, yeah, as a normal American you can't do dick without establishing an Amity Treaty company. There are some other odd ways you can do it (aside from nominees, which are haram these days by central government law) and I read that they've finally wised up and done something related to one of the retirement programs to match Malaysia My Second Home. Maybe Thailand Elite? I forget. We'll see. Thailand's been the belle of the ball for a long time, the people running things never feel the need to try very hard at much of anything, which is obvious in most areas. A few areas they kill all of SE Asia and much of the rest of Asia at, but mostly it's nai naam mii plaa, etc.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

What's the law on insurance for pootling about in a 125 in Thailand (or Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/Malaysia)?

Yes I know many people don't care and it's probably going to end up as paying a roadside bribe at some point no matter how inside the law you are, but licence and vehicle insurance being in order seems to be something your travel health insurance would care about if you got into an accident on the road.

I'm talking about a bike you buy, not rent, because I know rental probably throws at least some in.

In the UK you insure a specific driver on a specific vehicle (with some minor exceptions). I know some other countries do it as any insured vehicle can be driven by any licensed person (and maybe somewhere any insured person can drive any legal car? I don't know).

I've heard that scooters get 15,000baht of insurance included in licensing fees, but that's off TripAdvisor or similar, I forget. Not sure whether to trust it.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

simplefish posted:

What's the law on insurance for pootling about in a 125 in Thailand (or Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/Malaysia)?

when I registered my bike a month or so ago, it was like 500 baht for mandatory insurance that they sold at another counter like 10 feet away.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Gunna be in Bangkok for a week or so as of Saturday, any BKK goons keen for a drink? I can be pretty flexible with dates/times...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

webmeister posted:

Gunna be in Bangkok for a week or so as of Saturday, any BKK goons keen for a drink? I can be pretty flexible with dates/times...

I should be around.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

ladron posted:

when I registered my bike a month or so ago, it was like 500 baht for mandatory insurance that they sold at another counter like 10 feet away.

Nice thanks. Is that for a year?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

simplefish posted:

Nice thanks. Is that for a year?

yep. like I said, you can/have to get it right there when you go to transfer the green book to your name.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Actually I've looked into it a bit more, seems I need a longer stay visa than I'd be able to get, as well as a fixed Thai address. Wife and I are, in a few years, looking to take a few years before having kids. We'd be able to live off investments we're making but it isn't an accredited pension plan, isn't 80k baht, and we aren't anywhere near 50, so retirement visa is out. Also we'd like to be constantly travelling between hostels and countries so that's a problem for the fixed address aspect.

I want to do everything legally, I know it is possible to buy a bike cash-in-hand and stuff the law, but that's not the way I want to go

simplefish fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 17, 2016

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I should be around.

Cool, will shoot you a PM once I know where I'm staying etc

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

webmeister posted:

Cool, will shoot you a PM once I know where I'm staying etc

What kind of places do you want to see? I can recommend some spots to grab a beer.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

What kind of places do you want to see? I can recommend some spots to grab a beer.

Actually are there any micro-breweries or craft beer type places to check out? Chang/Singha/Leo/Tiger aren't too bad, but I love trying new local beers!

And nothing too upmarket either - we're travelling for six months with only carry-on luggage so my dressy clothes didn't make the cut!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

webmeister posted:

Actually are there any micro-breweries or craft beer type places to check out? Chang/Singha/Leo/Tiger aren't too bad, but I love trying new local beers!

And nothing too upmarket either - we're travelling for six months with only carry-on luggage so my dressy clothes didn't make the cut!
Archa is a fantastic local beer, you should definitely give it a shot. It's ironically disguised as a mass-market brew, but is finely curated, I promise.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

webmeister posted:

For craft stuff, try Mikkeler. For local craft stuff... that's still a little precarious and I'm not sure about the best places to find it. I know of one place that consistently carries it and it's a little out of the way. Someone else might know more?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Archa is a fantastic local beer, you should definitely give it a shot. It's ironically disguised as a mass-market brew, but is finely curated, I promise.

Don't troll the poor man. Now Cheers - that's the real hidden gem. Drink it out of a snifter so you can experience the full heady mixture of aroma and flavour.

E: for real, I'm not sure there is any Thai craft beer. The closest I ever see is Phuket Brewery lager, but it's still just a pretty lovely lager. Other than that you have to hugely overpay for imported German or British beer. Maybe there's some little place in Bangkok that does it, but I doubt it because I believe the Thai beverage industry is basically a two or three company monopoly that have things set up so that it's near impossible to start your own individual commercial venture.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 17, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's Tawadang, and this might help in Bangkok

http://www.10best.com/destinations/thailand/bangkok/nightlife/brew-pubs/

Craft beer has taken off in the last 5 years across major cities in East/South East Asia

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There absolutely is Thai craft beer, it's just a little under the radar still.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

Don't troll the poor man. Now Cheers - that's the real hidden gem. Drink it out of a snifter so you can experience the full heady mixture of aroma and flavour.

E: for real, I'm not sure there is any Thai craft beer. The closest I ever see is Phuket Brewery lager, but it's still just a pretty lovely lager. Other than that you have to hugely overpay for imported German or British beer. Maybe there's some little place in Bangkok that does it, but I doubt it because I believe the Thai beverage industry is basically a two or three company monopoly that have things set up so that it's near impossible to start your own individual commercial venture.

Tawandaeng has been around for maybe 20+ years and they make some honestly pretty good beer in their brewery, which is also a large beer hall with a stage. I remember being told it was "Beer factory Tawandaeng" in Thai which I think was "Roht beah Tawandaeng" which a lot of cabbies knew, I also remember it being reasonable to the cab there from Silom BTS but both of those memories might be wrong by now.

I'm told there are other smaller micros now too but haven't been through the city since I've heard that.

E: http://www.caniliveinthailand.com/tawandang-german-brewery-thai-bar-bangkok/

raton fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 17, 2016

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Chalawan comes to mind, out of Phuket, but as of recently available in restaurants in Bangkok.

There's also a fair smattering of breweries stationed at restaurants. Tawandaeng is a famous German beer hall conceived by Germans and then borrowed rather directly by their Thai partners and makes, you know, brewed beer.

Londoner used to, then it closed on 33, now it's opened again out on Pattanakan and is supposed to start up. Not sure if Dennis, the old brewmeister, will be behind it.

Also some off brand poo poo called like Country Beer that you can get at places like Tung Prik Tung Keng's big garden restaurants in the suburbs or, I think, some of the Saengjang music/dance hall joints. It's not particularly good.

Jungceylon Brewery in Phuket,who is behind Chalawan, does some other stuff too. It's in Patong and I hate Patong, but I hear it's moving to cooler parts of Phuket - Old Town, I think.

There's a shitload of illicit craft beer, but the reason there's not much legal craft beer is because of the insane laws purchased in concert by Boonrawd and Thaibev, the companies most famously behind Singha and Chang respectively, that set a hilarious legal hurdle to even begin to brew your own beer. I don't care a lick about craft beer, but for odd reasons I'm friends with one of the first guys to get sort of famous brewing his own and selling it (at least in this modern craft beer era, I'm sure it's been brewed and sold dating back decades or more) about maybe 7 years ago? He cleverly found a way to circumvent the importation loophole on raw materials by tracking down the importer who supplied one of the very few legit operations and paying him on the side to bring in extra. He then sold his brew illicitly to street bars and things. One of the only times I ever enjoyed "craft beer." Dude made a batch of passion fruit beer for a mutual friend's wedding that was, amazingly, awesome. As Chantilly alludes to, there's a whole world of that kind of thing now.

If you like non-Thai craft beer for shitloads of money, you will have all you want. Tons of places have it in bottles, on tap and so on. You can tut tut with friends as you drink shittastic bacon oatmeal IPAs that taste like soapy bacon and oatmeal like every other IPA for as low as $15-20 USD!

EDIT: In random news, as of this month 7-11s all over Bangkok are carrying Beer Lao, Beer Lao Dark, Hoegaarden and another that I forget. Happy enough to have Beer Lao Dark!

EDIT EDIT: Oh, I remember the other - Phuket Beer, which is sort of (depending on how you define it) one of the earliest craft beers.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 17, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Hoegaarden

:staredog: :staredog: :staredog: :staredog: :staredog: :staredog: :staredog: :staredog: :staredog: :staredog:

That's pretty much the perfect beer for Thailand

Never thought I'd see the day

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hah, believe it or not, it has become the standard upgrade tap beer for hiso restaurants. Like if you're in any Thai hiso place, it's likely to have Hoegaarden on tap. It's a legit thing - and you called it!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The number one reason I'd go to Tawandaeng was to get their wheat beer. It's better than Hoegaartenene but it's draft instead of bottled so it ought to be.

Nice to see Beer Lao is going around Thailand finally. Probably would have done that 20 years ago if they'd named it after an animal like every other SEA beer, instead of a country.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 18, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Here is my SEA beer, don't steal

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Like I said I only really know one place that carries a lot of Thai craft beer and they can't advertise very publicly that they have it.

edit: I forgot that I posted basically the same thing last night so sorry for the near-repeat post.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 18, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do they have Beah Goong :mad:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Thanks for the tips guys, look forward to trying some stuff! We found a brewery on Samui just near Chaweng lagoon, but the Brit who owned it and did all the brewing served the beers at room temperature :mad:

Who migrates to the tropics to brew warm beer?!!?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That question has an unsurprising answer preceding it in the story, heh.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Just put ice in it???

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Chantilly Say posted:

Just put ice in it???

SE Asia Thread: Just put ice in it???

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chantilly Say posted:

Just put ice in it???

Still the weirdest thing I've seen in SE Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

C-Euro posted:

Still the weirdest thing I've seen in SE Asia.

I can't remember if they do it in Korea but it's not uncommon in Taiwan. The beer is going to get warm fast so either you drink it rapidly and get a fresh one or you put ice in it.