Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i have a lifehack for that, i just dont feel shame and am glad i can life a decent life and help my family out if need be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
denial works for me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

utterly irrelevant. you also had "always on email access" in a 2004 cheap quick messaging phone. you also had "security" and management on many other phone types when you were someone that needed such things.

no

just no. that was not a thing in 2004 fishmech

i know you were still in short pants back then, but i was, you know, working. i remember this stuff as actual problems to be solved. and your email options back then sucked. the best phones had the worst email support, and vice versa

most people carried blackberries and hated them, but the realtime email on lovely slow EDGE internet was unbeatable. windows mobile was almost as good at email, but almost as sucky to actually use. palmos was the best pda and pda/phone combination, but had the shittiest email options.

ios 2.0 and iphones w/ 3g support really fuckin changed everything, instantly. suddenly the phone that could browse the internet well could also do calendaring well and could get your email in real time.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 26, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DELETE CASCADE posted:

wow, a million dollars? a whole million? gosh gee that's only the price of a 2br starter home in mountain view :rolleyes:

if you can afford a 2br starter home in mountain view you are one of the wealthiest people in the united states, to say nothing of the global scale

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i have a lifehack for that, i just dont feel shame and am glad i can life a decent life and help my family out if need be

i'm totally cool with my personal affluence. wouldn't have it any other way

but i don't feel the need to pretend that i am somehow a working everyman with problems that are relateable outside yospos

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I like money because then I can buy food and video games and plane tickets. :goonsay:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no

just no. that was not a thing in 2004 fishmech

i know you were still in short pants back then, but i was, you know, working. i remember this stuff as actual problems to be solved. and your email options back then sucked. the best phones had the worst email support, and vice versa

most people carried blackberries and hated them, but the realtime email on lovely slow EDGE internet was unbeatable. windows mobile was almost as good at email, but almost as sucky to actually use. palmos was the best pda and pda/phone combination, but had the shittiest email options.

ios 2.0 and iphones w/ 3g support really fuckin changed everything, instantly. suddenly the phone that could browse the internet well could also do calendaring well and could get your email in real time.

also remember that this was the era where forwarding messages from your desktop email client to your phone with a 3rd-party sync app was considered a viable solution

winmo was an absolute loving trash fire in the early 2000s too. even by the standards of the time it didn't really work as a phone, if for example you needed to reliably receive calls

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Death to America

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
all of you stfu

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

winmo was an absolute loving trash fire in the early 2000s too. even by the standards of the time it didn't really work as a phone, if for example you needed to reliably receive calls

to be fair, none of the major platforms reliably received calls.

the state of the art in 2004 was that receiving a call could crash the app you were using, or worse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also the dialer app could silently crash, and you just wouldn't receive anything and you wouldn't know until you went to make a call and your phone hardlocked

and like a million other ways that could fail. the treos were pretty good on that front though.

i worked at a place that sold and serviced smartphones in 2003/2004, we didn't have much in the way of symbian phones, but we had bb, winmo, and treo

e: oh and some great activesync bugs that could endlessly replicate a message stuck in the sync queue until your mailbox filled up, same with contacts or calendar items. or could randomly corrupt your mailbox contents, or would sometimes just empty your mailbox, because, sure, why not?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 26, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but i don't feel the need to pretend that i am somehow a working everyman with problems that are relateable outside yospos
It's a tragedy that people take their personal affluence and instead of securing their future, retiring early and pursuing passion projects, living modestly and enjoying the limited time they are on the earth they instead just buy a slightly faster car and larger house and continue to run on the same loving rat wheel going nowhere only faster and with more enthusiasm just so they can afford an even faster car and bigger house

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Bhodi posted:

It's a tragedy that people take their personal affluence and instead of securing their future, retiring early and pursuing passion projects, living modestly and enjoying the limited time they are on the earth they instead just buy a slightly faster car and larger house and continue to run on the same loving rat wheel going nowhere only faster and with more enthusiasm just so they can afford an even faster car and bigger house

most people whose careers reached that level of affluence got there because they were raised to derive their happiness from being judged superior to others

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

it’s hilarious how antsy and anxious people get when they have to confront the idea that their level of accumulated wealth might be excessive and immoral

the median household income is 47k. a million dollars is bougie as gently caress

why would someone feel anxious about having money? it’s the best. I used to be poor and now I’m not and let me tell you, there is no nobility in poverty, there is no shame in financial security.

also a million dollars is not that much money.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

having enough money to live comfortably isn't immoral. if you're just hoarding money to make your numbers go up and to make rich people like you, that's bad.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CommunistPancake posted:

having enough money to live comfortably isn't immoral. if you're just hoarding money to make your numbers go up and to make rich people like you, that's bad.

so anything beyond your definition of living comfortably is excessive and immoral?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

look, do we need to get anime weed cat in here to browbeat you all for owning shoes that aren't made of milk cartons?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

The Management posted:

so anything beyond your definition of living comfortably is excessive and immoral?

yeah sorry that's just how it is

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The Management posted:

pretty much yeah

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mrmcd posted:

I like money because then I can buy food and video games and plane tickets. :goonsay:

same

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Bhodi posted:

yeah but have you driven a fast car my dude and taken a poop in a big nice bathroom?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

infernal machines posted:

look, do we need to get anime weed cat in here to browbeat you all for owning shoes that aren't made of milk cartons?

i am wearing a pair of 17 year old lucchese boots because i am the rich guy in the sam vimes boot story.

you people buying jordans every year and still having wet feet are suckers.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 26, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

carry on then posted:

it’s hilarious how antsy and anxious people get when they have to confront the idea that their level of accumulated wealth might be excessive and immoral

the median household income is 47k. a million dollars is bougie as gently caress

the worldwide median household income is 10k. therefore making 47k is immoral and you should be ashamed of yourselves and repent from all your worldly possessions

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poty posted:

the worldwide median household income is 10k. therefore making 47k is immoral and you should be ashamed of yourselves and repent from all your worldly possessions

mega agreedo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

yes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

im a stymist-third-worldist

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
shaming people about their money until you drive the average income all the way to 0 as a strategy to topple capitalism. its so crazy it just might work

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh, absolutely same.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Management posted:

also a million dollars is not that much money.

Uhhuh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

I recently went to a magnificent imperial British country club in India as the guest of a friend's dad who is an 8 figgy fucklord. While we were there the dad told us that we were not to order drinks with dinner at the restaurant (as his guests, it all goes on his tab), only out at the bar, because the drinks cost 50 percent more inside.

A glass of nice single-malt scotch at the bar outside cost the equivalent of $2.50

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

His son and I went to a local streetside barbershop. Best shave of my life. We invited his dad as well. He said he didn't need to spend the money and he was fine shaving himself. I think we paid 85 cents each

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is he yuan millionaire or something

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

His son and I went to a local streetside barbershop. Best shave of my life. We invited his dad as well. He said he didn't need to spend the money and he was fine shaving himself. I think we paid 85 cents each
if anyone is shocked at this behavior, do yourself a favor and read Dickens' A Christmas Carol sometime

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

is there a difference between frugality and miserliness? asking for a friend

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think of miserly as an insult

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Triglav posted:

is there a difference between frugality and miserliness? asking for a friend

to use the Scrooge definition as suggested earlier I’d say miserly is when you’re so obsessed with frugality that even your frugal business-minded “friends” think you’re a weirdo

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
frugality is affects just yourself, miserly affects other people

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

is 1-ply toilet paper miserliness?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Triglav posted:

is 1-ply toilet paper miserliness?

no that's OSHA violation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you can’t spend 85 cents on yourself you have a crippling mental disease.

having said that, internet communists are mad when rich person spends money and mad when rich person doesn’t spend money. which is it?

• Locked thread