Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

I fell off this just before my 2 years were up. is it worth it to clear the desert dungeon? it takes up so much time in my day and I've yet to fully clear my community board.

It's impossible to really "clear" the desert dungeon, there's no bottom and instead every 10 floors the odds of getting rare items gets higher so you just have to prioritize getting as deep as possible as quickly as possible. It's absolutely worth it because it's the one reliable source of Iridium ore and prismatic shards, on my best run I got about 70 floors deep on a day with high luck and I wound up getting 5 prismatic shards and enough iridium ore to make 8 bars with some left over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Away all Goats posted:

Have you tried Children of the Nile? It's probably one of my favorite city sim games of all time. There is some light military stuff but it varies depending on the scenario. Some are literally just chill, build your city and giant pyramids/statues

I have! I even have it installed right now and played it a few days ago. But as nice and fun as CotN can be, it just doesn't have the charm of Pharaoh. The little walker quotes are permanently ingrained in my brain. gently caress, I think I need to play through that again.

Also COTN, for some reason, needs external software to force the game to render at 60hz. Otherwise it's all too happy to display at an eye-watering, headache inducing 24hz.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Terminally Bored posted:

- Link's Awakening. Awesome music, liked how weird the whole game is but it's really goddamn tedious to constantly change equipment. Also Wow! This looks really heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands Wow! This looks really heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands Wow! This looks really heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands Wow! This looks really heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands Wow! This looks really heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands Wow! This looks really heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands Wow! This looks really heavy! You won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands
Stopped playing at the third dungeon. Will go back someday because the soundtrack owns.

- Ocarina of Time remake: lock-on doesn't work sometimes. I know this was one of the first games to use it but still, the combat seems to be the least fun thing in all four Zelda games I played (didn't bother with Links Adventure). Also, what's up with the loving names in those games? Dodongos, Bongo Bongo, goddamn bats are called kees or something. And everyone on the Internet only uses the in-game names for some reason, it makes walkthroughs incomprehensible, especially where you have to kill monsters in the right order to open the next room. Also the graphics aged pretty bad. Good pixel art is good forever but even the best of the early 3D visuals look poo poo now. It doesn't help that some of the textures in the remake are vomit inducing, like that level inside the sea monster. The dungeons are also nothing interesting compared to LTTP ones.

I'll probably start Majora's Mask before finishing Ocarina because I read that it's more sidequest oriented and there are less dungeons there.

I just had the bracelet on all the time unless I needed something else because that message was super annoying. Link's Awakening is still one of my favorite zeldas in spite of that, it's a very fun game.

OoT is pretty bland though. It was the first 3D zelda game, it did it fairly well and for the most part, safely. MM and Wind Waker especially are leagues above it since they each try some interesting things and despite their flaws, have interesting charm and character to their worlds. Twilight Princess is just OoT 2.0 and is arguably even blander for it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Guy Mann posted:

Collecting artifacts for the museum in Stardew Valley has become absolute tedium in the endgame due to the fact that some artifacts can only be acquired by fishing and how bad the drop rates from fishing are: When you fish you have a 15% chance of a treasure chest appearing, and when you get a treasure chest there is a 0.16%-0.18% chance that it will contain an artifact. You can equip items to make treasure chests appear more frequently but since you still have to catch the fish it doesn't do you much good since these items replace bait that makes fish bite more quickly and lures that make them easier to catch so you just wind up taking longer anywaus. Also there's a skill that gives you an additional 15% chance to get a chest when fishing, but if you don't know about it far ahead of time then you can pick the wrong upgrade path and miss it and the game doesn't let you re-spec.

The game is usually pretty good about giving you multiple avenues to collect items and complete goals but that one fishing-exclusive artifact is sitting there, taunting me.

I can't really fault Stardew Valley for it completely, it's not really obligated to cater to my completionist attitude.

But I stopped playing after 2 in-game years of almost exclusively looking for the final missing artifact - after having accomplished about everything else. Every day, I popped speed-up foods, hopped on my horse, and went to every zone it's supposed to appear, and other spots.

Kudos to the game for making me want to though; I loved it. But. loving. PALM FOSSIL. Maybe the recent big patch changed rates? I haven't looked into it.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Oct 25, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

OoT is pretty bland though. It was the first 3D zelda game, it did it fairly well and for the most part, safely. MM and Wind Waker especially are leagues above it since they each try some interesting things and despite their flaws, have interesting charm and character to their worlds. Twilight Princess is just OoT 2.0 and is arguably even blander for it.

The best parts of Twilight Princess are the Twilight Realm, Arbiter's Grounds and other wolf-heavy stuff for exactly this reason. It's capable of doing some interesting stuff very well, it just doesn't want to.

Well, and giving you a massive goddamn ball and chain as a dungeon weapon, that thing's loving cool. I respect giving you two hookshots as a theoretically fun dungeon item/gimmick, but that didn't really work out.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
weirdly enough i hated literally every wolf part of twilight princess mostly because of midna

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

The best parts of Twilight Princess are the Twilight Realm, Arbiter's Grounds and other wolf-heavy stuff for exactly this reason. It's capable of doing some interesting stuff very well, it just doesn't want to.

Well, and giving you a massive goddamn ball and chain as a dungeon weapon, that thing's loving cool. I respect giving you two hookshots as a theoretically fun dungeon item/gimmick, but that didn't really work out.

It's weird, because people for ages, starting with OoT really, have joked about how you get dungeon items in zelda that are only useful in that dungeon. But that's not true, excepting the hover boots I guess, that poo poo started with TP. Windwaker, MM, OoT and most if not all of the 2D zeldas you use your items constantly through the whole game once you get them. TP was the first one where you got poo poo like the cool ball and chain but never had reason to use it afterwards. Or the spinner where there was like, what, one or two spinner tracks outside of that dungeon?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i was so disappointed in the spinner

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Captain Lavender posted:

I can't really fault Stardew Valley for it completely, it's not really obligated to cater to my completionist attitude.

But I stopped playing after 2 in-game years of almost exclusively looking for the final missing artifact - after having accomplished about everything else. Every day, I popped speed-up foods, hopped on my horse, and went to every zone it's supposed to appear, and other spots.

Kudos to the game for making me want to though; I loved it. But. loving. PALM FOSSIL. Maybe the recent big patch changed rates? I haven't looked into it.

I am not at all ashamed to say that I've used a savegame editor a few times to get around tedium or to fix issues like the aforementioned lack of being able to respec your skill specializations.

It's an unofficial tool so buyer beware but it has a built-in backup feature and auto-updates so it's been nothing but reliable for me.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

As for a complaint of my own, I've got started on Prototype 2 and man is the writing...something. The main character's blunt directness is amusing enough (even if it clashes with the sneaky stealth approach I like using), but everything else... I mean, the first game wasn't Shakespeare, but it at least made an attempt at being grounded and that helped sell the horror aspects of the story. Here, literally all pretense is dead and buried and you have soldiers who just want to murder people for fun, scientists who want to experiment on innocent people for fun, and both of those groups hate each other because they're literally painted as dude bro jocks and nerds respectively. :rolleyes: Maybe I'm just not in the mood for dumb, campy schlock at the moment, but it doesn't help that the game tries to quickly give the protagonist some cheap pathos (I don't even have to say how, if you're familiar with video games you know exactly how) and is now setting up some elaborate conspiracy plot with Alex Mercer and it all comes off as discordant.
That game is the angriest nonsense I ever played.

Like, I don't think there´s a single cutscene without him swearing at some point. That's all I remember about the game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cleretic posted:

Actually finished it a few days ago with full hearts for my dogmeat dlc and all poes(something I've never been able to do when I had it for gamecube and it felt really good to get that done), I enjoyed it for the most part.
Only thing that bugged me is a lot of the bosses sound cool on paper - but don't work out well in game.

My guess is the game wants to give you time to hookshot, or aim so most bosses will just kind of idle around so you can hit them. Only boss that got my health around half was the ice one and the final one.
The final boss is cool because he has an attack that knocks your shield out of the way, and then hits you. Wish more enemies could have done that.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That game is the angriest nonsense I ever played.

Never played Asura's Wrath?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

scarycave posted:

Actually finished it a few days ago with full hearts for my dogmeat dlc and all poes(something I've never been able to do when I had it for gamecube and it felt really good to get that done), I enjoyed it for the most part.
Only thing that bugged me is a lot of the bosses sound cool on paper - but don't work out well in game.

My guess is the game wants to give you time to hookshot, or aim so most bosses will just kind of idle around so you can hit them. Only boss that got my health around half was the ice one and the final one.
The final boss is cool because he has an attack that knocks your shield out of the way, and then hits you. Wish more enemies could have done that.

It's always strange when an optional fight against a small pack of heavy enemies has more flow and energy than the drat boss fights. The triple darknut fight in that game was loving intense, and the only thing that would make it better is if the last one got a powerup and a heal when it was just him remaining. Boss fights should be a meaty, satisfying challenge, dammit, not a lightshow with occasional button prompts. Barinade, Gohma, Odolwa, Goht, Ganon's Shadow, Morpha- the series knows how to do bosses right, they just fall back on the sequence puzzle thing too quickly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

It's weird, because people for ages, starting with OoT really, have joked about how you get dungeon items in zelda that are only useful in that dungeon. But that's not true, excepting the hover boots I guess, that poo poo started with TP. Windwaker, MM, OoT and most if not all of the 2D zeldas you use your items constantly through the whole game once you get them. TP was the first one where you got poo poo like the cool ball and chain but never had reason to use it afterwards. Or the spinner where there was like, what, one or two spinner tracks outside of that dungeon?

Well OoT and Majora's Mask both have the pretty situational Mirror Shield. It's in the last dungeon for both though, so it's not as egregious.

I wouldn't say it started with TP at all, though. That's the first 3D game to have a bunch of weird situational bits, but look back at the overheads and you'll see a few. Oracle of Ages is probably the worst, but A Link to the Past is bad too.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Action Tortoise posted:

I fell off this just before my 2 years were up. is it worth it to clear the desert dungeon? it takes up so much time in my day and I've yet to fully clear my community board.

also I've been wanting to get back into multiplayer shooters. I've been thinking overwatch bc it reminds me so much of tf2. is the community that poo poo if I just wanna do quickplays? and will I need a headset if I wanna just be extremely casual? are there voice commands I can use for general purposes like in tf2? I know I made a carepost about voice chat but I've always been quick on typing to alert my team.

I can't definitively speak for the PC community, but on PS4 no one uses mics in quickplay, which is fantastic. There are still the usual idiots that will pick snipers and then never do a goddamn thing, but thats endemic to every game that has a gun that scopes. Yes there's a quick chat wheel thing that's great, it's got the usual (thanks, hi, emote) and then the useful stuff (I need heals, my ult is at XX%, group up). Overall I find that its quick and easy to use and actually does a decent job of coordinating with the rest of the team, if they're in the mood anyway.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Well OoT and Majora's Mask both have the pretty situational Mirror Shield. It's in the last dungeon for both though, so it's not as egregious.

I wouldn't say it started with TP at all, though. That's the first 3D game to have a bunch of weird situational bits, but look back at the overheads and you'll see a few. Oracle of Ages is probably the worst, but A Link to the Past is bad too.

Oracle of Ages doesn't really have many stupidly situational items, though. There's the block-creating stick, which is pretty much useless outside its dungeon, but otherwise it's all useful items (strength bracelet, roc's feather, seed shooter, hookshot, and upgrades to same). Even the awful thumb-destroying mermaid suit is useful, if only because the dickhead rear end in a top hat fuckwit developers decided to include TWO loving WATER DUNGEONS IN A ROW and have you wander around the ocean for eighteen billion loving hours. There's a hell of a lot to complain about in it (gently caress WATER) but I don't think that's one of them.

e: god i just remembered that loving "fixing guru" or whatever's minigame for the L2 sword and yeah nah gently caress this game entirely

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

dordreff posted:

Oracle of Ages doesn't really have many stupidly situational items, though. There's the block-creating stick, which is pretty much useless outside its dungeon, but otherwise it's all useful items (strength bracelet, roc's feather, seed shooter, hookshot, and upgrades to same). Even the awful thumb-destroying mermaid suit is useful, if only because the dickhead rear end in a top hat fuckwit developers decided to include TWO loving WATER DUNGEONS IN A ROW and have you wander around the ocean for eighteen billion loving hours. There's a hell of a lot to complain about in it (gently caress WATER) but I don't think that's one of them.

e: god i just remembered that loving "fixing guru" or whatever's minigame for the L2 sword and yeah nah gently caress this game entirely

Really, it's the fixing guru that gets you and not the segment where you wash up on lizard thief island and have to trading sequence your way into getting all your inventory back? On top of the like two other trading sequences in the game :shepface: also the awful harp. gently caress that harp, it's infinitely more tedious than having to hop on a stump and swing your magical season stick one to three times. Ages was bad.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

also I've been wanting to get back into multiplayer shooters. I've been thinking overwatch bc it reminds me so much of tf2. is the community that poo poo if I just wanna do quickplays? and will I need a headset if I wanna just be extremely casual? are there voice commands I can use for general purposes like in tf2? I know I made a carepost about voice chat but I've always been quick on typing to alert my team.

Quickplay is the most chill way to play. I started playing Overwatch with 2 of my friends, our regular group has now grown into a mini community of 37 who play other games together too, nearly all of which we met through Quickplay (and their friends). You don't need a headset on PC, pubbies in Quickplay never use voice comms. In Competitive though, it seems like even chances of getting a team that uses no comms, politely asks everyone to join comms, or loving FAGGOTS JOIN COMMS NOW OR I'LL RAPE YOUR loving MOTHER so just generally stay away from Competitive.

The voice command wheel has a bunch of useful stuff on it, like requesting healing, letting your team know your Ult status and poo poo, but on PC the two most often used (request heals and My Ult is at X%) are bound to keys.

Also warning people about enemy snipers and things like that is automatic, I think. Seems like if a Sniper takes a shot at you your character auto alerts the team that theres a sniper with a voice line.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Really, why do they keep putting sniper rifles in games where twitch movement is king? There is only 2 outcomes:

1: The sniper can't hit poo poo because all the other players are sprinting around, jumping then proning at the apex of the jump and landing flat on their stomach then instantly standing right back up and sprinting away. Usually the only snipers that matter are bolt actions, its hard to hit the heads of players constantly jumping around and ducking against imaginary enemies and if you body shot them its not going to kill them and they will sure as hell sprint into cover before you rack your bolt for a follow up shot.

2: You can't stand still at all cause the second you do you're instantly killed by some jackass sitting on the other side of the map. Or if that doesn't happen you'll lose a chunk of life and gotta wait in cover until your health regens.

Anyways, in none FPS complaints, the Adventurer Guild goals in Stardew Valley. You get rewarded for killing so many of certain enemies. Unfortunately the game's combat really isn't all that amazing, I'd call it one of the game's lowest points, and they demand an absurd amount of corpses for rewards. I've finished the mines and done a ton of skull dungeon runs and I'm still nowhere close to finishing the slimes one (1000 kills). These could drop by half and it'd still require some grinding but not so much that you'll be long past having your farm completely upgraded and set up.

Leal has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Oct 25, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Okami is what Twilight Princess wishes it was.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Issun is very possibly worse than Navi and Fi combined, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

My Lovely Horse posted:

Issun is very possibly worse than Navi and Fi combined, though.

Nah man I love auto-scrolling text that can't be forwarded that occurs in every goddamn loving room.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leal posted:

Really, why do they keep putting sniper rifles in games where twitch movement is king? There is only 2 outcomes:

1: The sniper can't hit poo poo because all the other players are sprinting around, jumping then proning at the apex of the jump and landing flat on their stomach then instantly standing right back up and sprinting away. Usually the only snipers that matter are bolt actions, its hard to hit the heads of players constantly jumping around and ducking against imaginary enemies and if you body shot them its not going to kill them and they will sure as hell sprint into cover before you rack your bolt for a follow up shot.

2: You can't stand still at all cause the second you do you're instantly killed by some jackass sitting on the other side of the map. Or if that doesn't happen you'll lose a chunk of life and gotta wait in cover until your health regens.

Or 3, team play goes out the window because half the players are sitting on a hill/island jacking themselves off and missing most of their shots.

I loved using magnum shotgun slugs on them in Bad Company 2. Nothing beat taking out a sniper with a shotgun from 100+ meters away.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What was wrong with Titanfall? Was it just bland despite everything or what?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Morpheus posted:

Nah man I love auto-scrolling text that can't be forwarded that occurs in every goddamn loving room.

okami's opening crawl is the worst when it's the first time you play it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Still kind of bummed the wii-version didn't have proper credits.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Never played Asura's Wrath?

Prototype 2 is Asura's Wrath before Asura's Wrath came out.

The main protagonist is a jacked, generically angry Black Dude (Instead of vaguely Asian machine god dude) with a dead wife who just wants his Daughter back and got screwed over by his company.

They're both bad for different reasons, Asura's Wrath for being basically nothing but quick-time events completely lacking in combo system or anything remotely 'spectacle' about the spectacle of combat that had the gall to say 'oh, you want to finish the story? buy the DLC.' and Prototype for turning a kind of Horror-ish game about a living Virus finding his humanity (kind of) and growing into a 'person' into...whatever it was, while completely destroying the character development of the first one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Prototype 2 made no compunctions about the story being stupid and silly and just there to justify you murdering literally millions of people and is the better game for it

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Prototype 2 was teenage angst, expressed in story form.

Victoria 2: So, populations of Soldiers can run out of people to replace their numbers. Instead of creating a mass-build function, Vicky 2 makes it so you have to manually rebuild every brigade that's run out of dudes to replace it fresh, meaning refilling your armies after a particularly brutal war is a carpal tunnel inducing experience.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I never played Prototype 2 despite loving the first one*, because I heard that Alex Mercer/Blacklight turned into a Take Over The World villain in it, and I really liked how he was developed in the first one. A monster that eats people and developed something of a conscience in the process, while still a monster.

* Ooh, content: Prototype annoyed me whenever your character would get air juggled by explosives. I'm death incarnate, except when I'm being bounced around like a gooey ragdoll.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RareAcumen posted:

What was wrong with Titanfall? Was it just bland despite everything or what?

I liked Titanfall, it was fun and got really exciting.

People hated it because it wasn't strictly PvP and was a launch game.

I expect Titanfall 2 to do worse despite being on 3 times as many platforms.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I find most computer games confusing and hard

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Like I was happily playing GTA5 and then I found out about the stock markets, so I tried doing them and haven't played the game since

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Beastie posted:

People hated it because it wasn't strictly PvP

I don't think people would have cared if they didn't require you to beat the tacked-on campaign to unlock multiplayer content. Especially since you still had to play it online with other people and since the playerbase cratered so quickly it was practically impossible to actually get enough people to play through it after launch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MisterBibs posted:

I never played Prototype 2 despite loving the first one*, because I heard that Alex Mercer/Blacklight turned into a Take Over The World villain in it, and I really liked how he was developed in the first one. A monster that eats people and developed something of a conscience in the process, while still a monster.

* Ooh, content: Prototype annoyed me whenever your character would get air juggled by explosives. I'm death incarnate, except when I'm being bounced around like a gooey ragdoll.

It's a shame since the rest of the game is polished up pretty well. Though with that comes more structure, which makes it less sprawling/sandbox-y, for better or worse.

Getting air juggled by explosives is the entire contrivance of one of the DLC mini-game types. You fetch barrels to toss into an incinerator within a time limit while enemies with rocket launchers do everything in their power to gently caress you over.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Skyrim's crafting system is so shallow and yet it's amazing the sheer amount of ways it's utterly hosed up.

First off - weights. I can understand when you make something out of a pile of materials, your finished product can be lighter than whatever you put into it - that makes some manner of sense. But in some cases, crafting something creates MORE WEIGHT. Like bear pelts - they're something like three weight, but they can be crafted into two or three leather at 2 weight apiece. You're scraping away negative matter when you're going through the tanning leather animation.

The whole weapon/armor improvement system is so easy to cheese, even unintentionally, that it's ridiculous that damage/armor numbers in the item display window "wrap" where they do. I only have a vague idea how much damage some of my stuff does based on the sell price, because I'm sure it's a hell of a lot more than the 600-whatever that's showing. Not that it really matters at that point, but as long as the numbers are still going up I as the player want to be able to see that.

Also now that I can one-shot any dragon in the game I'm noticing a hell of a lot of them sure like to take a fatal hit from an arrow and then fly halfway up a mountain before deciding to die, so I have to climb for fifteen minutes to get up to its corpse for the crafting materials.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i actually had to unbreak my weapons last time i did that for almost those exact reasons.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There was weapon/armor improvement?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

spit on my clit posted:

There was weapon/armor improvement?

Yeah. You build stuff at forges and then can improve it at grindstones for weapons or worktables for armor. But...since Fortify Smithing enchantments are super easy to find/make, and Fortify Restoration potions are easy to make and affect the degree to which your armor's Fortify Smithing enchantments are efective, and Fortify Smithing potions themselves are pretty simple too....it ends up in a situation where an iron dagger that does like 7 damage normally will do thousands of damage and be worth something like 10k gold.

It's really not hard to do, to the point where it's kind of actually hard *not* to do if you do alchemy and smithing a lot without intentionally gimping yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never liked the gear-upgrading in Dark Souls 1 because:

A: You need to go to four different blacksmiths to use their different talents, which is annoying since you can't fast travel in the first half of the game.

B: There are a wide number of materials needed to level up weapons through different paths. If you're not going down that route then the material is useless.

C: If you want to undo the path taken on a weapon then you have to revert the weapon to a weaker state.

D: The option to even upgrade weapons is gated behind the Embers you find, often found late in the game. Defeating the seven Taurus Demons guarding the Chaos Flame Ember just proves you don't need the thing.

E: None of your Embers carry over to NG+, so you have to go the whole process again.

F: None of this is possible without following a wiki.