Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mantis42 posted:

Imperator: Rome - Veni

But actually:

quote:

Imperator: Rome - True Roman Thread For True Romans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Ethiopia specifically gets really badly hit by the combo of being presented as unified at game start and quick westernization being so conquest-reliant. It's easier in any of the country-adding mods because you've got immediate neighbors to conquer for RP right from the start.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

CK2 models foreign politics better than almost any other pdox game the only real issue is the lack of peace treaties.

Are you not playing the same CK2 as me, or did you just not have enough kids?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

reignonyourparade posted:

Ethiopia specifically gets really badly hit by the combo of being presented as unified at game start and quick westernization being so conquest-reliant. It's easier in any of the country-adding mods because you've got immediate neighbors to conquer for RP right from the start.

It's also kind of jarring how you in no way can interact with most of your immediate neighbours outside of Egypt. That part of Eritrea that's not under Egypt? Deadly tropical diseases.

I mean, It's very much how the game is designed on the basic level, but it makes the existing sub-Saharan nations even weirder. Like Sokoto.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nosfereefer posted:

It's also kind of jarring how you in no way can interact with most of your immediate neighbours outside of Egypt. That part of Eritrea that's not under Egypt? Deadly tropical diseases.

I mean, It's very much how the game is designed on the basic level, but it makes the existing sub-Saharan nations even weirder. Like Sokoto.

Yeah if you want to play around in Africa as an african nation, you might want to look into some of the bigger mods like New Nations Mod. It fills out the continent a lot more with actual playable nations rather than just terra incognita.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
ofaloaf what is going on with your sideburns by jupiter

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

My sideburns are a work of art, don't diss. :colbert:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Ofaloaf posted:

Wear the hat

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

They are good, sideburns crew forever etc.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Obliterati posted:

Wear the hat

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deceitful Penguin posted:

ofaloaf what is going on with your sideburns by jupiter
You cant say this and not share a pic.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Imperator stream intro

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

We all got gifs just before the stream.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Buff pecks. When are we hitting the gym together?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

respectable

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Where is the stream?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ofaloaf posted:

Niiiiiiiiice.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Where is the stream?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/379442227

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Full General Burnside or gtfo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

Most likely to grow a muttonstache 2019

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I see the conductor cosplay is coming along swimmingly.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I see the conductor cosplay is coming along swimmingly.

"Cosplay"

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
This is days old, but concerning the Crete LP by Wiz and how people think what went on in that thread was just a reflection of modern politics everyone needs to watch the videos on this playlist about the politics at the end of the Roman Republic.

It is pretty eerie how much the fall of a Republic 2000 years ago lines up with today.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

logger posted:

This is days old, but concerning the Crete LP by Wiz and how people think what went on in that thread was just a reflection of modern politics everyone needs to watch the videos on this playlist about the politics at the end of the Roman Republic.

It is pretty eerie how much the fall of a Republic 2000 years ago lines up with today.

It also means that the entire Crete LP's Senate insanity, was absolutely authentic.

Even the Populists, especially the populists.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

RagnarokZ posted:

It also means that the entire Crete LP's Senate insanity, was absolutely authentic.

Even the Populists, especially the populists.

If anything the populists in the Crete thread didn't go far enough to be historically accurate.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

logger posted:

If anything the populists in the Crete thread didn't go far enough to be historically accurate.

Yeah, should've exiled random senators every so often, just for fun.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've not been following Imperator's development too close and I'm catching up with the dev clash stream. It's just me or blobing early is fairly easy? I'm only one hour into it but liking it so far.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

I've not been following Imperator's development too close and I'm catching up with the dev clash stream. It's just me or blobing early is fairly easy? I'm only one hour into it but liking it so far.

I’ve seen this raised in other places and the most convincing answer was that the new Aggressive Expansion internal effects are what should balance it, but they mainly focus on non-core culture pops. So Rome within Italic/Latin(?) areas and Dobunnia within Britain can blob with only the threat of external defensive leagues but when they start spreading beyond that Bad Things Happen.

That and the game has months of balancing left to do.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Does Imperator have mechanics to facilitate the fall of the Roman Empire? Or are we just assuming that the historical emperors of the time period forgot how to play the game by that point?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The game ends long before that, around the end of the republic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Have the devs given any reason for using Roman years instead of BCE/CE? I mean yeah :myimmersion: or whatever but you're going to get a pretty massive amount of people who don't really know much about the era drawing false assumptions about this game taking place in 450 CE, which is.. uh, a good half-millennium off the mark.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Probably makes it easier to just have a counter going up rather than down.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Drone posted:

Have the devs given any reason for using Roman years instead of BCE/CE? I mean yeah :myimmersion: or whatever but you're going to get a pretty massive amount of people who don't really know much about the era drawing false assumptions about this game taking place in 450 CE, which is.. uh, a good half-millennium off the mark.
Hm, they could add it as option in game settings.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I think Johan said in the Q&A stream it’s a combination of it being confusing to users and internally easier.

I can’t imagine any situation where there won’t be an option or a mod because that seems like the simplest thing to do.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Drone posted:

Have you considered that BC counts years down instead of up? I think it would be more confusing for everyone to switch to different mental arithmetics in calculating date differences

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gort posted:

Does Imperator have mechanics to facilitate the fall of the Roman Empire? Or are we just assuming that the historical emperors of the time period forgot how to play the game by that point?

The transition from Republic to Empire is supposed to be the end of the game

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Drone posted:

They probably couldn't figure out how to make the number go down and then switch to going back up at the turn of the millennium lmbo

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It would be trivial to make the internal clock use roman years and convert that to BCE/CE at the turn of the millenium when it's being displayed to the player but it would be extremely confusing for development, modding etc.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You do know that Jesus/Christianity isn't a big societal secret, right?