Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

this all happened because Jon Corpora unfollowed me on twitter, let this be a lesson to the mountain goats.

poo poo if WotC want to pay John Darnielle to preview a card from Eldritch Moon in song form, I say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Hellsau posted:

poo poo if WotC want to pay John Darnielle to preview a card from Eldritch Moon in song form, I say go for it.

"God drat these vampires for what they've done to me" - Nahiri

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

"God drat these vampires for what they've done to me" - Nahiri

please be reading this, WotC Marketing Department.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I still want to make a deck that uses CoCo and Aether Vials to cheat out Talara's Battalion, Myr Superion, and Scaab Ruinators. Any other hard-to-cast monsters under 3CMC that I haven't thought of?

Here's the platonic ideal of the deck. I'm lucky my store has proxy Modern!

I tried Talara's Battalion and it wasn't quite good enough, just fyi. Epochrasite is real.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

a dozen swans posted:

Here's the platonic ideal of the deck. I'm lucky my store has proxy Modern!

I tried Talara's Battalion and it wasn't quite good enough, just fyi. Epochrasite is real.

I ran that deck in my FNM once, only went 2-2, but I got to CoCo 2 fulminators at 1 life against a burn deck. Took out both his Sacred Foundries and then he proceeded to draw 2 Boros charms while I drew a Kitchen Finks with another in my hand. GG.

Elyv posted:

most of these are reminder text, but fair enough

also macabre waltz is getting a reprint with this art

I like how they're making Liliana more and more smug with each new art. The previous one that was really good is the flip Liliana, planeswalker side.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I vialed in an epochrasite during combat back in modern masters limited and it was the best feeling.
I built most of Yasooka's Eternal Command deck with Epochrasite as budget Goyfs and yeah, it felt sweet Vialing one in. You could also pitch it to Thirst for Knowledge, mmm. Kind of want to rebuild that deck now!

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Have there been any public comments from Wizards or Maro on the likelihood of a "Return to Kamigawa" set?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Alris posted:

Have there been any public comments from Wizards or Maro on the likelihood of a "Return to Kamigawa" set?

Maro's mentioned it's one of the most heavily requested ones. Don't know how likely that makes it though.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

He's also said it's pretty low on the scale of places to return to because of how badly received it was the first time. So it's kind of a weird thing. I'd guess we won't get more than the occasional bone throne to it like Tamiyo or maybe some stuff in supplemental products.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Alris posted:

Maro has said that it's unlikely because most of the playerbase disliked and/or were confused by the flavor.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Maro has said that it's unlikely because most of the playerbase disliked and/or were confused by the flavor.

Well generally when your set is completely parasitic and has a bad gimmick going for it along with a ruleset that says Meloku/Keiga dies when another Meloku/Keiga enters the battlefield even if it isn't yours is kind of stupid.

I think if the concept of Kamigawa wasn't "THEME AT COMMON, EVERYTHING IS LEGENDARY" wasn't a thing I think it would've been better.

Also if people didn't have this concept of a Feudal Japan themed set being "anime girls with big titties and giant robots" it'd probably be better, too.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Count Bleck posted:

Well generally when your set is completely parasitic and has a bad gimmick going for it along with a ruleset that says Meloku/Keiga dies when another Meloku/Keiga enters the battlefield even if it isn't yours is kind of stupid.

I think if the concept of Kamigawa wasn't "THEME AT COMMON, EVERYTHING IS LEGENDARY" wasn't a thing I think it would've been better.

Kamigawa didn't have any legends below rare, and had exactly one common that mentioned them at all.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I personally can't wait for WOTC to make a not-Africa (not just one of the cultures in the giant continent of Africa, the country Africa) filled with real cultural legends and motifs only to have it be hated by us for being too foreign.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Let me tell you about "Return to Kamigawa" and why it's most likely not going to happen. Most of the people asking Maro for a "Return to Kamigawa" set aren't people who played back when the block was released. Magic's player-base has grown massively since COK block, and so has Commander. Back before the days of Modern, when EDH was just a thing judges did to socialize, when Extended was a format that people only played for the PTQ seasons and then sold the cards immediately after they were done, I was literally buying boxes of all three Kamigawa sets for $30 each. The set sold horribly, and dealers were stuck with cases of it not knowing what the hell to do other than sell the packs for about a dollar each just to get it off their shelves. You can bet that the people losing money on these boxes of product let Wizards know exactly how they felt about it.

Then it was years later, and Commander took off. Obscure cards, especially legendary creatures, were all the rage. Kamigawa block happened to have a glut of big dumb legendary cards with powerful effects. The people who want to go back to Kamigawa block are the people who want more of Azusa, more Boseiju, more Kiki-Jiki, more legendary dragons, etc. They don't want Wizards to print a new Kamigawa block because they love the flavor; they'd be just as confused as people were back then about the flavor of the plane if they were to view the block as a whole and had to play Standard or limited with it.

The average Commander player wants a new Kamigawa block, but the people in charge of WotC's money and the people who directly make money off of WotC have to be damned sure it's a good idea and that putting the name "Kamigawa" on a product doesn't risk a huge drop-off in expected profit. This is why you see a lot of nods to Kamigawa in Commander-centric products and cards, because Wizards knows the audience for the Kamigawa name.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kamigawa probably works better with the new legend rule.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Kamigawa didn't have any legends below rare, and had exactly one common that mentioned them at all.

It had dozens of uncommon rares.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Chamale posted:

Uncommon rares are my favourite rares.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chamale posted:

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Something I don't think I saw here yet, that I found on reddit:

That's Descend upon the Sinful, translated into French. Slight problem: pécheurs means "sinners," while pêcheurs means "fishermen." :haw:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

To the tune of Jukebox Hero

Waxmane Baku

Alaan
May 24, 2005

LSV takes the VSL championship. He has now ended up first, second, and third in it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Minority Deport posted:

That's Descend upon the Sinful, translated into French. Slight problem: pécheurs means "sinners," while pêcheurs means "fishermen." :haw:

I wonder if they have a native French speaker check the translation, because that seems like it would be a common pun.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Minority Deport posted:

loving :lol:

That makes the slight ambiguity of "fondre" (which usually means "melt" in most contexts rather than "descend" or "pounce" as it does here) even weirder.

I'm gonna keep thinking of this card as "fish fondue" now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chill la Chill posted:

I personally can't wait for WOTC to make a not-Africa (not just one of the cultures in the giant continent of Africa, the country Africa) filled with real cultural legends and motifs only to have it be hated by us for being too foreign.

Return to Jamuura :getin:

Yes I know a bunch of it phased out in the story but f u :mad:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Entropic posted:

loving :lol:

That makes the slight ambiguity of "fondre" (which usually means "melt" in most contexts rather than "descend" or "pounce" as it does here) even weirder.

I'm gonna keep thinking of this card as "fish fondue" now.

Melt upon the fishermen

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Did anyone make a deck of which (standard) eldrazi spawn correspond to kozilek or Ulamog? In particular the ones with ingest?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Also if people didn't have this concept of a Feudal Japan themed set being "anime girls with big titties and giant robots" it'd probably be better, too.

Speaking as someone who played alot of magic back then, people who were critical of the set weren't critical because of the flavor per say. People didn't like Kamigawa because it was the super low power level set wedged between Mirrodin and Ravnica. Some of the cards certainly saw play in it's standard, but I don't remember any of the archetypes it pushed really being played around with. Affinity and anti affinity defined most of Mirrodin and Kamigawa, and then when it got banned, some Kamigawa cards got played, but it was still mostly Mirrodin and Core set cards. Then well Ravnica and Kamigawa, well Ravnica completely overshadowed Kamigawa.

The two biggest reasons it was unpopular in the day was that Yu-Gi-Oh was getting super popular. Yu-Gi-Oh would bring in crowds bigger than the magic crowds and Kamigawa came out at the height of that craze, a few magic players would say poo poo about pandering to that crowd, and if that was WOTC goal they failed rather miserably. But the BIGGEST reason was Affinity, after the PTQs affinity ban I remember the major tournament organizer in the region announced that attendance overall to PTQs went down by a third to a half. Affinity and Mirrodin did some real damage to the game. Lots of people quit because of it and stopped showing to drafts and FNMs. We would regularly have 2 pod drafts when CoK first came out with a 20 person FNM tourney. By the time Saviors came out we couldn't get either to fire at all.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Drafting Kamigawa was weird, like there was all these uncommons that were Legends, and then you had the flip legends (that you almost never got to flip), then you had rando equipment and cards that referenced legends at uncommon. So it felt like you simultaneously had too many and not enough legends at the same time, sense there was tons of trash "legends" (Like that Brothers card, or the flip legends that you could never get to flip). The power level of the commons was laughably low, especially after coming off of Mirrodin block. To further rub salt in it, the whole Demon theme in the set was super parasitic and wanted you to draft demons which were all pretty much all uncommon or higher, and several cards would reference other cards by name in the set. And even if you had all the pieces for whatever thing they were wanting you to do (hello there Unspeakable), the payoff didnt feel worth it.

It did feel pretty skill intensive though, especially sense damage still went on the stack. I still remember "Block with Sakura Tribe Elder, damage on the stack, sacrifice it", but it was a common play with alot of the spirits.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Unless my search is wrong (http://tinyurl.com/j2clpp5), there were 5 (6 if you count both Brothers yamazaki) uncommon legends and 9 uncommon non legends that flip into legendary creatures in the entire block. The rest are all rares.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Mirrodin/Kamigawa was pretty much Affinity and anti-affinity until the bannings. However, before Ravnica hit, Mirrodin/Kamigawa had some interesting archetypes that revolved around Tooth and Nail, but there were also Mono-u tron lists with Memnarch, Meloku, Keiga, and Pentavus. I remember a lot of fun little decks showing up at this time because, despite all the bans that hit cards from Mirrodin, there were still some really crazy interactions with that set that were powerful and could often win games by themselves.

Kamigawa/Ravnica: City of Guilds standard had some interesting setups.

Because of how Kamigawa shaped out, you were looking at there being these super grindy spirit/arcane decks based around Gifts Ungiven at the time. You'd recur spirits such as Kagemaro or Kokusho using Footsteps of the Goryo and rebuy Footsteps with a Hana Kami/Soulless Revival loop. You'd find all of the necessary bits by using Gifts and eventually win by beating face with a big legendary creature, grinding them out by repeatedly Cranial Extracting them or removing all their resources by forcing them to discard their hand.

On the other side of that coin, we had the aggressive shell of white weenie at the time which was running Isamaru, Umezawa's Jitte and Promise of Bunrei. To win games against the slower grindy decks they ran Hokori, Dust Drinker, which was basically a winter orb on legs.

When Ravnica became more established, we started to see R/W/G decks (Boros/Selesnya were released in the first set, along with Dimir/Golgari) that utilized some of the newer beatdown cards that blew a lot of Kamigawa's stuff out of the water. Watchwolf, Char, Lightning Helix and Loxodon Heirarch were all strong cards.

Guildpact hit and a lot more color combinations as well as the solidification of R/W/G as a deck happened. By that point, most of the Kamigawa stuff was phased out, apart from a few defining aggressive cards. The removal that existed in that set along with the spirit/arcane interaction just wasn't powerful enough. The sort of stuff that stuck around were either dumb mistakes (Jitte) or various control finishers (Yosei, Keiga).

9th edition's cards really hosed things up though. The existence of magnivore, wildfire and annex led to the U/R magnavore land destruction strategy (this is why there's no more boomerang at UU, even a sorcery variant). Greater Good kept that spirit/arcane thing alive for a long time based on how much value you could get out of a footsteps'd big stupid dragon that got sacrificed to GG.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
How can you talk about Kamigawa/Ravnica standard and not mention the B/W Hand deck? That deck was sick.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Never saw it played at our local. That being said, to the guy that was saying "i was buying boxes of kamigawa for $30 apiece", Betrayers of Kamigawa is $316 per box now, and Saviors packs (the worst set) are $7 each now.

Color me shocked. Commander really is a hell of a drug.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How much of that price for Betrayers boxes is inflated by playing the Umezawa's Jitte lottery?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Having talked to like 5 people about it I'm convinced what people want is not Japanese mythology world, its just anime world without having to learn how to play Force of Will.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Also, I played a guy in CHKx3 a couple weeks ago on MTGO that had Peer Through Depths, Reach Through Mists, Sift Through Sands and the Unspeakable in his draft deck. He did not pull it off. I guess if you draft the Unspeakable I guess you could get the cards, but I don't know how hard it is to actually pull off the combo, seems pretty sketchy.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 16, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Having talked to like 5 people about it I'm convinced what people want is not Japanese mythology world, its just anime world without having to learn how to play Force of Will.

If my Magic lore sperging is right, Kamigawa would likely look pretty different at this point anyways. The big war with the Kami is over, and it's now hundreds (maybe thousands even) of years in the future. (sense it was set in the way distant past of magic)

I personally think Kamigawa would be a good candidate for a War with New Phyrexia block (which could guest star several planes). Spirits would actually fight Phyrexians very well, and Samurai First Strike stuff works well against Infect.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

GonSmithe posted:

How can you talk about Kamigawa/Ravnica standard and not mention the B/W Hand deck? That deck was sick.

Ghost Dad, which was busted on MODO because the white shoal couldn't target some stuff (I think effects from sacrificed permanents?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Groundskeeper
G
Creature - Human Druid
1G: Return target basic land card from your graveyard to your hand.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rinkles posted:

Groundskeeper
G
Creature - Human Druid
1G: Return target basic land card from your graveyard to your hand.

I guess it could be useful in a drafted self-mill deck, maybe

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GeneX posted:

I guess it could be useful in a drafted self-mill deck, maybe

And potentially madness/self discard (sometimes you don't have a madness card but do have the enabler)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Hello recurring lands for molten vortex. Who cares if it's inefficient!

• Locked thread