Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just picked up Alien: Isolation with no expectations other than I like the Alien (movie) series and System Shock 2. The game called me out on the difficulty select screen so I chose Hard. Any generalized, spoiler-free advice? This seems like the kind of game where you can really gently caress yourself over with save points if you just blindly overwrite everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Just picked up Alien: Isolation with no expectations other than I like the Alien (movie) series and System Shock 2. The game called me out on the difficulty select screen so I chose Hard. Any generalized, spoiler-free advice? This seems like the kind of game where you can really gently caress yourself over with save points if you just blindly overwrite everything.
Keep moving and don't crouch walk everywhere like a stealth game, it makes things worse.

If hard becomes too obnoxious, drop the difficulty.

Playing with environmentals is not all that useful, unfortunately.

Play in a dark room with headphones.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I don't get mmorpgs. People seem to love them and seem to have fun with them and I've tried wow like 4 times but I really don't see the fun in it. You either kill something, collect something via killing or kill a one bigger thing while you level up and your fireball gets bigger. That's it I guess? Why are they fun?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

I don't get mmorpgs. People seem to love them and seem to have fun with them and I've tried wow like 4 times but I really don't see the fun in it. You either kill something, collect something via killing or kill a one bigger thing while you level up and your fireball gets bigger. That's it I guess? Why are they fun?

You're focusing on the RPG instead of the MMO.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ManOfTheYear posted:

great post for the What Should I Know Before Playing This Game thread, thanks.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Anything for Rune Factory 4 on the 3DS?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Foxhound posted:

Anything for Rune Factory 4 on the 3DS?

Probably best off checking out the OP and highlights in the Harvest Moon thread.

Not sure what the OP/wiki maintainer would want to bring in from it yet.

Also it can take like a year (120 days) of game time for the event that opens up the third act to pop once you've finished the second act.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GrandpaPants posted:

Anything for Lisa?

It's called "The Painful RPG" for a reason. Bad poo poo is going to be happening almost continuously, both to your character and your teammates. If you approach it with an obsessive "everything must be perfect" min/max mindset, you'll be absolutely miserable. Let things happen, and don't regret your choices when the hard decisions come up.

Like the mayor said a few posts back, there are a veritable shitton of characters to recruit. One you will meet very early on is named Rage, and he's worth hiring as soon as you can afford him.

Resting at a campfire out in the open heals your party, but when you wake up the next morning, you may find that thieves stole from you in the night. If you don't really need to rest, I wouldn't risk it. The game's hard enough without handicapping yourself further by losing important stuff just to heal up a little.

Fall damage hurts everyone in the party, not just Brad.

There's hidden stuff all over the place. If something looks weird or out-of-place, investigate it!

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
What can you guys tell me about Metro 2033 Redux?

Onato
Dec 29, 2014

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

What can you guys tell me about Metro 2033 Redux?

I'm only on chapter 6 so take this with a pinch of salt.

If you want to be stealthy the throwing knives are a one shot kill on humans.

When you come across librarians they can be killed but it costs a hell of a lot of ammo. They tend to go down quicker with head shots from the harpoon-ish gun but it still takes a lot.

There's a lot to be found all over the place so be sure to explore; especially in the towns. Some of the stories people tell in passing really add to the game.

Most of all enjoy it. I'm not a huge fan of FPS usually but this has blown me away.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Surprisingly, there's nothing in the wiki for Recettear. I'm through the second dungeon and have made the first loan repayment, is this game as shallow as it seems?

E: never mind, it is in the wiki I'm just dumb. Nevertheless, my question stands.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 16, 2015

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It is possible to do exactly that. The savepoints will explicitly tell you "HOSTILE NEARBY" - not whether it's "hostile android two rooms over, who cares though right?" or "hostile alien spawning in the ceiling panel right behind you", but it's generally wise to figure out which is the case before overwriting your single save slot.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The good news is that if you die after using a save point you are not in an no win situation, the game will spawn the alien farther away when you come back so you have a chance to get away

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Knights of Pen and Paper+1?

I'm a little bit into the game and am discovering the paladin is generally worthless at damage.

E: also Tales of Maj'Eyal. Any particularly necessary mods before I start?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 16, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

The Iron Rose posted:

E: also Tales of Maj'Eyal. Any particularly necessary mods before I start?
- For ToME, a lot of people swear by the ZOmnibus addon pack, which includes a number of quality of life additions. I actually am very comfortable playing the game almost entirely unmodded, but there's a ton of options if you want to dive in.

- Most of the class/race unlocks are simple progression (kill 1000 humanoids, defeat certain enemies, etc.) Some people just edit their profile for all the unlocks, but I enjoyed earning them all, so to each their own.

- Don't play on Exploration. It gives infinite lives, which defeats a great deal of the purpose of the roguelike. Adventure gives enough lives that a single bullshit death doesn't end a run. Roguelike, naturally, is a single life.

- Bulwark and Berserker are newbie-friendly melee classes, while Alchemist is a good option for getting familiar with magic. Archmage is very easily unlocked and extremely strong, with a massive ton of options, but can be a little intimidating when you're just starting out.

- http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604865 is the current thread for ToME, come say hello and read the insane stories of Veronica Skullblood and how to play a Cursed (extremely loud death metal is mandatory).

- You gain 3 stat points, 1 class skill point, and one generic skill point each time you level, except at multiples of 5 where you get a second class point and no generic point. You also receive a category point at levels 10, 20, and 36 to unlock any locked categories. Cornac, one of the Human races, has no racial skill tree but instead receives an additional category point, which can be extremely useful depending on class and build.

- Infusions and runes replace potions from conventional games - there are virtually zero consumables in ToME. Instead, you apply runes or infusions to yourself, which give you an ability that you can activate on a cooldown. You start with 3 slots for these and can gain additional ones by spending a category point on them.

- Most races start with a regen infusion and a wild infusion that cures physical status effects. The regen infusion you start with is absolutely awful and should be upgraded as soon as you can (using an infusion if you already have the max value will allow you to overwrite one of your existing ones), but the wild infusion is really good and can often be kept all game long - status effects are immensely powerful in ToME, especially Stun, and having an on-demand cure is extremely important. Of note is that wild infusions will randomly clear one status effect from the types it can hit, so it might ignore that 15 turn stun to clear the disarm with 1 turn left on your mage.

- You can right-click on any creature and click "Inspect Creature" to see their stats and abilities. This is extremely useful and helps make ToME remarkably accessible for a roguelike.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

What do I need to know about 7 Days to Die?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm a little bit into the game and am discovering the paladin is generally worthless at damage.

I believe the paladin's shtick is to draw away the aggro from the other party members and to be a tank that absorbs most of the damage.

My favorite party ended up being a paladin, druid, hunter, mage and cleric. The paladin does what I stated above, the hunter and mage do most of the damage (hunter multi-target, mage single target), the druid restores mana (and puts enemies to sleep) and the cleric restores health (and has an excellent debuff). The main thing is that you shouldn't spread your ability points around. Recognize what abilities are the best and what abilites are single point wonders. For example, the mage's fireball does damage over time and will just melt enemies if you focus on it. Not so much if you give equal treatment to the ice spell and the multi-target fire spell.

The position/seating of party members matter. Enemies will have abilities that will hit a party member and the ones seated next to him/her. That's why in my party example the paladin is seated on the left seat and the (squishy) mage and cleric are on the right side.

The game will get grindy if you want to see all the content. It was originally a mobile game and it's better suited as a game that you occasionally pick up and play in short bursts (not an issue if you are actually playing on mobile of course). Some of the end-game content was added after the PC release (it's very Steam themed at times) and you can tell it wasn't balanced as carefully as the original.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 16, 2015

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks to the LP going on, I'm trying to play Cataclysm: Dark Daya Ahead, all I've managed to do so far is be eaten by a bear and hit a bench with a backpack, so does anyone have any advice for it, specifically for someone who has never really played a roguelike before?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Surprisingly, there's nothing in the wiki for Recettear. I'm through the second dungeon and have made the first loan repayment, is this game as shallow as it seems?

E: never mind, it is in the wiki I'm just dumb. Nevertheless, my question stands.

It's shallow. I guess there's a story and you get to play around between the shop and the dungeons, but the story is basically an escalating loan repayment.

Some of the fun gets taken out as soon as you figure out that each customer type has pretty specific range of values they take for things, which i think is in the wiki somewhere.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

The Iron Rose posted:

In caves, click on the sparkly veins. That's how you mine for grindstones.

Some of the quests are quest chains -- when you complete the first portion, you're automatically assigned the next part of the quest. If you abandon the quest chain at any point (to, say, see what quests are available at a new area you've traveled to), you have to restart the entire chain.

Elite enemies are immune to stuns, non-elite enemies are affected by them 100% of the time. My first time through, I gave the Rogue class to the character with +1 to status effect durations. This allows him to keep two (three, once you buy the Miniatures desktop item) non-Elite enemies out of the fight for as long as he has MP.

The "make your own battles!" thing never really becomes interesting or important. Non-elite enemies never really become more than sacks of HP. Bosses eventually start using area attacks and status effects, but only towards the end of the game. Sorry.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Anything for Invisible Inc?

Only a few levels.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Anything for Invisible Inc?

Only a few levels.

last page

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

paco650 posted:

It is possible to do exactly that. The savepoints will explicitly tell you "HOSTILE NEARBY" - not whether it's "hostile android two rooms over, who cares though right?" or "hostile alien spawning in the ceiling panel right behind you", but it's generally wise to figure out which is the case before overwriting your single save slot.

I'm having fun so far but I'm dying all the time, that's normal right? Why should I expect to live?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Thanks to the LP going on, I'm trying to play Cataclysm: Dark Daya Ahead, all I've managed to do so far is be eaten by a bear and hit a bench with a backpack, so does anyone have any advice for it, specifically for someone who has never really played a roguelike before?

I'm rather new to the game myself, but forums user ducttape posted an awesome guide for new players in the cataclysm thread, which I hope nobody will mind if I simply crosspost here.

ducttape posted:

Character creation
Starting the evacuee scenario has the tremendous perk of starting in an evac shelter. This will give you some time to prepare your starting equipment in relative peace.

Since it is relatively simple to make your starting equipment, feel free to choose one of the +1 sp professions (Novice MA or chain smoker would probably be best)

As for skills, Quick is easily the most important. Speed is life, and quick speeds up everything. I would also recommend one of the other speed boosting options; Parkour expert lets you furniture dance, while Fleet-footed gives you a speed bonus on open terrain. Picking both is probably a waste; parkour is a bit better for melee (it is easy to guarantee that zombies are move-locked), and fleet footed is a little better if you are planning to be more ranged. But both movement perks are good for either combat style.

Night vision is also pretty must have; being able to see that extra tile makes night raiding a very good thing. It also makes it a lot easier to loot basements, which tend to have the best goodies.

Some others that you may want to consider (depending on your preference):
Light step is good for night raiding
If you are planning on keeping this character to endgame, Robust genetics makes mutating much more beneficial
Inconspicuous makes it less likely that wandering mobs will get you in your sleep (not usually an issue if you are living in your evac shelter)

Negatives:
You should certainly get negative traits; some of them are basically free points. Since NPC's aren't on by default (and not that great yet), Ugly and Truth-teller have no downsides. Poor hearing is almost a perk, as it will keep you from being awoken; and taking night vision allows you to detect zombies beyond melee range already. Glass jaw is a pretty minor penalty for the points that it gives. Trigger happy is only a problem if you use automatic weapons with few bullets. Lactose intolerance is pretty safe; milk doesn't last very long and the other milk-based foods aren't farmable. Junk food intolerance is so-so; you usually end up eating a lot of this as a young character, but you shouldn't if you have healthier options. Water isn't usually an issue (toilets are plentiful, as is rainwater) so High thirst is usually a safe bet. Insomniac can get a little annoying, but the two points you get are worth it. Weak stomach only serves to magnify the penalty for eating things you shouldn't (later on causes a little problem for using an alcohol burner CBM, but something you can deal with). These should get you over the 12 point threshold

Stats: you want each of these to be at least 11. If you have extra points, strength always benefits (you need 12 to use the best bow, most of the other benefits are to melee, but it does improve your resistance to disease and poison) Dex benefits from bringing it to 12, but not much higher. If you are certain that you want to focus on a ranged character, a 12 perception gives a little benefit, but less than the other stats (whereas less than 11 means that you run the risk of not detecting landmines, which is very bad).

Skills: Looking at the long term, points in skills are wasted, since this is the one area that you will improve. However, if you are just starting out, a single point in dodge lets you skip the most dangerous phase of training.

Preparing
If you started out in the evac shelter, you have a bunch of materials availabe to you.

Removing the curtain from a couple windows gives you string and rags, which can give you thread. Smashing a bench gives you wooden splinters which lets you make wood needles. Start off reinforcing all of your clothing, even if you aren't going to end up wearing them. This should raise your tailoring by a point, so you can make more. If not, make bandanas and reinforce them until you have tailoring of 1. At this point, you want to make clothing that 1) gives you the warmth you need to stay fast, 2) the storage you need, and 3) low encumberance. Consider making a trenchcoat, long underwear pieces, arm and leg warmers, shorts, hand and feet wraps. For your head, you will want to make a balaclava, but that requires 1 point of survival, so you should go outside and forage some bushes until your survival gets to 1.

If you want to start as melee (or after making your outfit you are low on supplies and need to raid now), I recommend making a makeshift crowbar. Get a pipe from smashing a locker, and a rock from outside, and make a makeshift crowbar. If you took quick, you can still sting it faster than regular zombies can move, the +2 to hit is very good when you are starting, and you will need it anyway when you are breaking into houses. If you have a little more time, consider making a nailboard trap out of nails and 2x4's; set it up, wait behind it, and the zombie that steps on it will be damaged and slowed.

If you have the freedom and want to jump in to ranged combat, make a self bow out of a heavy stick and string, lockpicks out of splinters and wooden arrow shafts out of 2x4's until you have 1 fabrication. Practice with the bow on nearby small game until you also have 1 archery; this lets you add nails to the arrow shafts to make field point wooden arrows, which is arrow enough to start.

Your first scavenging trip
Where you should target depends on your build, the time of day, and your requirements:

If you need food and/or water, you should probably find a house at the outskirts of town. Don't worry about bringing consumables back to base yet, just eat what you can. Some things that you will want to grab if available: a caffeinated soda (or other upper), a screwdriver, any aspirin, vitamins, and other 0 volume drugs/items you can find. Basic skill books. If you find a big bag clothing item, strap it on, and begin looting in earnest; just remember that you will have to drop it (and most of your loot) if you plan to engage a zombie in melee.

If it is night time: you are a lot more flexible. Look for a grocery store reasonably close to the edge of town, and head there. When you are close to/in town, tread carefully. If a zombie comes into sight range, walk around them. Once you get to the grocery store, you will hopefully find the most important item for the early game; a shopping cart. Shopping carts hold more volume and weight than you could hope to, and don't cost you any encumbrance while doing so. They are a little annoying to move around, but well worth it for raiding.

If it is day time, but you don't have any pressing needs, you can start some cautious raiding (or wait till night, practicing whatever you want). Go to the outermost house that you can see. If you don't see any hostile creatures, you are free to start looting. If you do, you have to choose to a) engage, or b) loot, while recognizing that you are on a timer before that zombie reaches you. You might want to consider first making sure that you have an exit; smash one of the windows and clear the shards for a back door.

Moving forward
You are going to want to focus on scavenging the outskirts. Try not to take on any of the fancy zombies until you have the skills to do so. Build up your food and water reserve, until you are confident that you could last a few days without going outside. You can also get food and water from the wilderness, but it takes a little more effort. Bushes can be foraged for a lot of things. Pinecones can be cooked into pine nuts. Once you have a gallon jug you can make a funnel to capture rainwater.

Once you have the supplies, you can start the process of long-term survival. Spend a couple days reading the basic skill books (the ones for your style(s) of combat (especially the dance books), basic construction, fabrication, cooking, and tailoring). These are a pretty cheap way to raise your skills, as they don't require you to spend supplies or risk yourself in actual combat; plus many of them contain recipes for things that you really want. You also might want to consider either moving to a safe house closer to town (assuming you can clear the zombies from that area), or just fortifying your starting shelter (board up the windows, dig pit traps, etc.)

After this, the world is your oyster. Pick a goal and go for it.

The only thing I'll emphasize is Start in the evac shelter. Yes you don't get bonus points for starting infected or in a burning building or whatever, but you'll actually get to learn the game. If you have more questions, the Cataclysm thread is still quite active, and 90% of it is helpful veterans answering questions. I hope this helps!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

I'm having fun so far but I'm dying all the time, that's normal right? Why should I expect to live?
when you die enough, death loses meaning and you become less scared, and the game becomes less fun.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

juliuspringle posted:

What do I need to know about 7 Days to Die?

I answered you on the last page with a bunch of starting tips.

Adding to that:

-Care packages drop at 12:00 every day from a plane that flies over. It's worth trying to find these when you see them parachute down (trailed by orange smoke) as they usually have good supplies, rare gun components or rare crafting schematics. Or sometimes they're absolutely worthless. It's a gamble. You can also adjust how often the care packages drop in the game setting.

-Minerals spawn in the ground, either randomly or down in tunnels you'll run across. It's worth remembering where these are as they are the best way to get plentiful forging resources to make armor, bullets, building supplies, etc. Be careful when mining though, a cave-in can kill you and even destroy your backpack.

-The hunting rifle and the crossbow are slow, but very powerful. With some good aim you can one-shot most zombies.

-Certain tools work better on destroying certain materials. Axes rip through wood, picks rip through stone and metal. A high enough quality in either (flawless) can destroy pretty much anything with equal speed. But pounding away on a steel door with a fireaxe will take longer than using a pick-axe.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 16, 2015

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Wreath of Barbs posted:

I answered you on the last page with a bunch of starting tips.

Adding to that:

-Care packages drop at 12:00 every day from a plane that flies over. It's worth trying to find these when you see them parachute down (trailed by orange smoke) as they usually have good supplies, rare gun components or rare crafting schematics. Or sometimes they're absolutely worthless. It's a gamble. You can also adjust how often the care packages drop in the game setting.

-Minerals spawn in the ground, either randomly or down in tunnels you'll run across. It's worth remembering where these are as they are the best way to get plentiful forging resources to make armor, bullets, building supplies, etc. Be careful when mining though, a cave-in can kill you and even destroy your backpack.

-The hunting rifle and the crossbow are slow, but very powerful. With some good aim you can one-shot most zombies.

-Certain tools work better on destroying certain materials. Axes rip through wood, picks rip through stone and metal. A high enough quality in either (flawless) can destroy pretty much anything with equal speed. But pounding away on a steel door with a fireaxe will take longer than using a pick-axe.

Sorry I didn't notice that. Do I have to build a house or can I find them and move in?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Mayor McCheese posted:

Unfortunately I still haven't finished LISA which is a shame as it's a crazy rear end game. I can only offer some basic tips.

-You're going to have to grind quite a bit and backtrack.

-Not all characters are created equal and there's a ton to recruit. Those with keyboard commands tend to be a little bit more fleshed out.

-Hug walls for hidden rooms.

-A good deal of the game is trail & error. This is especially true when it comes to falling off of stuff. Save often as the game isn't afraid of killing you.

I'm not as far as this guy probably (through the 1st boss, have the first? mobility upgrade) but Lisa has been great about saying exactly what it's going to do and then doing it. There's a lot of Souls influence so I'm sure there's really well-hidden stuff I've missed. Grinding was not in its design so that's kind of a bummer though

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I realized I actually made a mistake on One Finger Death Punch.

quote:

- The higher difficulties increase the speed the game plays at, and the minimum it will drop down to if you're doing poorly. It doesn't actually change any of the enemies' placements.

Is not correct, at all.

Instead, it should be.

quote:

- The higher difficulties increase the speed the game plays at, and the minimum it will drop down to if you're doing poorly. In addition, colored enemies begin to show up sooner, and in greater numbers.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

anybody got anything for Age of Pirates 2: City of Abanoned Ships?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

sick trigger posted:

anybody got anything for Age of Pirates 2: City of Abanoned Ships?
Get the whatever is the latest community patch, latest official ones don't fix everything.
Starting as Peter Blood is not a novice campaign, even though you get extra stuff the game will make you work for it, also the ship you get is way too big for you and will cripple your stats until you get better at navigation or get better officers so you should store or sell it.
Although it sounds tempting don't set intellect to 10, it's enough to have 7 to get all perks, with more you'll grow too fast and face stronger enemies before you have enough cash, charisma(er, authority or whatever it was) of 4 is enough to get officers for every skill. You probably want high strength, endurance and reaction because heavy weapons eventually become the best class but spends way too much stamina early and you want good carry capacity.
Skills are only increased with use, so while things you use will grow naturally you'll probably need to do additional training for stealth(sneak into hostile towns and lie to guards, approach hostile ships and ports with different flag, trade with smugglers), fortune(play blackjack and dice poker) and weapon skills you don't use.
Watch what you loot on foot, there are items with purely negative effects and worth next to nothing, if you loot everything that drops you'll be sorry.
Items that give bonuses don't give them multiple times, so one of each of those is enough, give extras to officers or sell them.
Officer's skill overrides yours in that area if he's higher, you also get the ship perks for that area he has, but if both of you have a perk there is an additional bonus.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 17, 2015

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

juliuspringle posted:

Sorry I didn't notice that. Do I have to build a house or can I find them and move in?

Pre-built buildings are made from weaker material than you can craft yourself and are easier to destroy. However, they make good temporary bases early on or could be fortified to work as a more permanent base. For temporarily staying in houses early on, just stump/board up the doors when nightfall comes. That's usually enough to keep the wandering zombies out in the first couple of days.

If you want to convert a house into a base, you're gonna want to build your own blocks to pad the outside, build new doors, etc. A lot of prefab stuff can't be upgraded (Right clicking on a block with a stone axe, repair tool or nail gun and having wood planks/scrap iron/etc in your inventory upgrades it) so you really want to rely more on your own stuff when it comes to hordes. For the long run, definitely build your own base from the ground up. Or underground - cave bases can be awesome too. Part of the fun is creating crazy forts that eventually become impenetrable to zombies.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Some of the earlier parts can be pretty brutal difficulty-wise, especially because you aren't aware of all the strategies to distract/take down enemies yet. I played it on normal and the difficulty was just right for me personally, don't be afraid to lower it if you get frustrated.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Torchlight 2's wiki is pretty blank. Anything for that? Anything new for Morrowind? And anything for Dust: An Elysium Tail or the iOS game Goblin Sword?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Chocula posted:

Anything new for Morrowind?

I haven't played Morrowind in a while, but what do you want to know? There's a ton of depth and things to do in that game, the wiki has some good tips for the beginning of the game and general mechanics tips. I do the following sequence from the wiki every time I start a new character-

quote:

- After you generate your character, turn to the right (assuming you're facing the Census and Excise guy who you were talking to) and head to the shelves. There is a limeware platter on that shelf that's worth 650 drakes. Pick it up. The Imperial Legionnaire in the room will be alerted to your thievery, so drop the platter on the ground before he talks to you. He'll let you off the hook "just this one time," so pick the platter back up and then head into the next room.
- Pick up the dagger and all the expensive poo poo in the room. This includes all the tableware on the table, as well as the plates and bottles of Sujamma(?) on the shelf behind the table.
- Continue through to the next building and talk to Sellus Gravius.
- Get the Ring of Healing in the barrel outside. Give Fargoth his ring.
- Go to Arrile's Tradehouse and sell off all that poo poo you nicked. He'll give you a good deal because his disposition will be super high after you help Fargoth.
- Go to the second floor of Arrile's Tradehouse. Talk to Hrikksar Flat-Foot. He'll give you a quest to take Fargoth's stuff. Do the quest, but don't talk to Hrikksar when you've completed it.
- You now have a ton of money to spend on penny whistles and moon-pie. Enjoy the rest of the beginning of the game with a small fortune in your pocket.
- Exit the town, and head north along the coast line. Before long you'll find a dead body. Search it, take everything it has, and go back to the guy who creates your character class. He'll offer you a reward if you kill the murderer so go to one of the little shaks and talk to the occupant about the murder. One of them will say he did it so kill him and return. Say hello to an extra $500!
- Get the ring and return it to the woman who lives in the lighthouse for two free healing potions.

A couple things they missed here: 1. There's a key on the shelf behind Sellus Gravius, take it using the same technique you used to take the limeware platter (grab it, immediately drop it on the floor, get chastised, pick it back up off the floor) and use it to unlock the warehouse directly across from where you come out of Gravius' office. 2. If you follow the coast further north from that dead tax collector, you'll find a small tomb that has a nice ring for boosting INT and WIL, just make sure you have a way to disarm traps and some offensive magic (or a weapon that isn't Iron or Steel)

Other stuff not on the wiki-
--If you have a Spell Absorption effect, you can use Imperial and Tribunal Shrines to refill your magic for a pittance. Simply walk up to the shrine, ask for Restoration, and you will absorb part of the spell that the shrine casts on you. Of course, if you actually need said restorative effects (for example if a Greater Bonewalker damages your stats), you might need to activate the shrine a couple times to refill you magic AND get fixed up.
--The Telekinesis spell can be used to disarm trapped containers, just put on the effect and then activate the trapped container from a safe distance.
--There is some amount of level-scaling for loot and enemies, but not as pronounced as Oblivion. Loot crates in bandit caves/ruins/etc are on leveled lists, as are spawns for non-NPC enemies (stuff like Cliff Racers, Dremoras, undead critters). However past a certain point your stat and equipment gains will far surpass these lists; a level 20 (max level for lists) character in this game will mow down pretty much everything it encounters. Hand-placed loot and hostile NPCs don't level.

Also definitely check out the Morrowind thread if for no other reason than mod recommendations. The game has a lot of content so you don't necessarily need to mod in new items and quests, but a ton of work has been done not only to improve the sounds & graphics of the game, but also to fix the bugs (even going so far as developing a tool that edits the actual game code to fix bugs)

I'm sure I'll think of other stuff if you're wondering about specifics, this got my Morrowind brain up and running once again. I really should go play it again, but I've been wanting a PC that can handle all the nice graphics mods for a long time now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What's the new hotness in Morrowind modding? Back when I played it was basically Better Bodies/Faces but I thought I read that there's a massive mod pack that includes those and others that's usually recommended.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

What's the new hotness in Morrowind modding? Back when I played it was basically Better Bodies/Faces but I thought I read that there's a massive mod pack that includes those and others that's usually recommended.

MGSO is loving great and I heartily recommend it. The only thing I hated more than vanilla Morrowind was the imagined effort of having to mod it into playability, and MGSO made it super painless and handholdy to install and have just work.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

paco650 posted:

MGSO is loving great and I heartily recommend it. The only thing I hated more than vanilla Morrowind was the imagined effort of having to mod it into playability, and MGSO made it super painless and handholdy to install and have just work.

Thanks for linking this. The Morrowind GOTY Edition is only five bucks on Steam right now :dance:

Oh, and FYI for those of you on slow connections, the MSGO .rar file is 1.65 gigs.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In addition to the graphics and sound updates, is there a recommended unofficial patch for bug fixes? Preferably that is easy to install like MGSO is?

Also, if I'm looking to keep the gameplay intact, is MGSO and an unofficial bug patch basically all I'll need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
MGSO includes an unofficial patch (although it isn't "the latest and greatest" but its good enough.

For a `~~~`~`` LORE FRIENDLY ~~~~`` MGSO install, I recommend these options:

code:
	Trees:
		Solstheim
		Mournhold
	Ascadian Isles:
		Vurt Lorefriendly
	Ashlands:
		More Branchy
	Grazelands:
		Vurt Lite
	Bitter Coast:
		Vality (NO balmora trees)
	West Gash:
		Vurt Lite
	Grass:
		More Colorful
	Solstehim:
		Grass
	Misc:
		New Voices
		Dagoth Ur Voices
		Fireplaces
		Animated Containers
		Left Gloves
		New Magic Sounds
		New Game Sounds
	Armors:
		Detailed and Reflecting
	Crosshair: (preference)
	Heads:
		Improved Heads
	Lighting:
		Realistic Brighter
	UI:
		Vanilla UI
	Better Bodies: (underwear)
	Magic Items Glow:
		Shimmer
Although the only choice for Crosshair is the moon & star one.

Skip animated Morrowind and better Heads and install this head replacer instead.

There is a good guide for updating MGSO 3.0 here to the latest with the latest fixes and what not for the mods inside, although not completely necessary, especially if you're not familiar with modding Morrowind.

The other things I recommend:

- Enabling "Swift Casting" in the Morrowind Code Patch (makes casting spells work like Oblivion by pressing V, even when you have weapons out)
- Set your draw distance in MGE-XE to 21 cells, which is similar to Vanilla but still good.
- Set crosshair autohide in MGE-XE.