Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

Chipsets are dumb tho just hang poo poo over the pcie bus or bake it into the io core. I can see why they just asked asmedia to slap together a bunch of peripheral controllers into one thing and called it a day

Intel DMI is PCIe at the physical layer and at one point I thought it was basically identical up through LLP at least. But, transistors you're burning on SATA, USB, Ethernet, etc are less transistors you have to spend on L2/L3/more CPU-y things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I did like the super soundblasters (platinums?) that had the 5.25” drive bay insert with 1/4” headphone/aux jacks and midi inputs, that was pretty cool.

I’m sure there are lots of USB versions of that now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

WhyteRyce posted:

I remember VIA and Creative Labs having finger pointing game as to who was to blame for bad audio

They can both gently caress off forever, I remember a decade ago having an expensive 5.1 surround sound system for my PC and it didn't work properly for years because both both companies refused to play ball and wouldn't give the driver functionality in XP nor Vista

The issue was finally resolved in W7 and a hardware upgrade but by that point I had the sound system for half a decade before I finally had output from the rear speakers

Motherboards having their own decent audio solutions is deserved karma for Creative Labs, bunch of shysters

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Combat Pretzel posted:

It was Vista, and they've dropped hardware mixing. I'm not that into audio tech anymore, what's so bad about the userland mixer?

There's nothing wrong with it, which is why high-featured sound cards have mostly gone away. In a world where extremely fancy audio mixing can be done with a tiny fraction of a single CPU core's cycles, there is no need for a dedicated audio DSP, and in fact they just become kinda a pain in the rear end.

We crossed that CPU performance threshold a long, long time ago; Microsoft was actually quite slow to implement software only mixing. For example, OS X shipped with a pure software audio mixer all the way back in 2001.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Back in Linux land in the early 2000s I remember mucking with esd, pulse audio, and oss audio backends and specifically buying a Turtle Beach audio card because it had a Cirrus Logic chip that supported hardware mixing. All that to support listening to mp3s while being able to hear some terminal bleeps and bloops. What definitely did suck then and I think still sucks today on a lot of onboard sound chips is that there's a lot of noise and weird harmonics that can impact the DAC. This isn't a problem if you have an external USB DAC so much but boy is it annoying to build a $2k+ system and get coil whine with buzzing and interference from an SSD or an external USB drive because the motherboard used some cheapo Realtek chip. While it's gotten substantially better from the mid-2000s it's still something that I can notice unless I'm using purely optical or have just used USB based audio.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

necrobobsledder posted:

boy is it annoying to build a $2k+ system and get coil whine with buzzing and interference from an SSD or an external USB drive because the motherboard used some cheapo Realtek chip.

TBH that's probably not the chip. Yes, Realtek is cheap, but hearing interference from a SSD or external USB device is evidence of a motherboard design problem: inadequate analog power supply isolation, failing to bury analog signal traces inside stitched ground plane shielding, laying out the audio section of the motherboard too close to noise sources, etc. There's nothing about the chip itself which makes interference more or less likely.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Yeah, in my experience it's up to the motherboard manufacturer to properly shield their audio components to prevent interference, when done the Realtek chips work fine. I've paid extra on the last couple motherboards I've bought to make sure I get the ones to do just that, Asus' SupremeFX motherboards still use Realtek audio, but with better amps and better insulated components and they do a fine job of keeping the sound clean, no problems driving my Sennheiser HD 6XX's off the onboard on my Crosshair VII Wi-fi.

One day I'll buy an external amp and dac but I'm pretty happy with modern onboard audio solutions.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Protip: any audio solution who quote chip specs as real world performance is a goddamn liar

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

There was some old Intel board with integrated valve preamps, I think. Pretty neat gimmick.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

TBH that's probably not the chip. Yes, Realtek is cheap, but hearing interference from a SSD or external USB device is evidence of a motherboard design problem: inadequate analog power supply isolation, failing to bury analog signal traces inside stitched ground plane shielding, laying out the audio section of the motherboard too close to noise sources, etc. There's nothing about the chip itself which makes interference more or less likely.
Probably a misleading statement on my part to insinuate the chip is the major factor but use of a lower cost chips is correlated with cost cutting measures that will not shield / isolate components, and historically Realtek chips were culprits but is increasingly not true given advances by motherboard makers as well as the SOC manufacturer. Some chips may be more susceptible to noise and interference issues than others (this was definitely the case when we had add-on PCI and ISA sound cards) but I'm not aware of anything you can do as an SOC manufacturer today to even try to do that kind of protection without some pretty serious costs involved.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

There was some old Intel board with integrated valve preamps, I think. Pretty neat gimmick.

I remember this, it might have been ABiT (RIP)?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

movax posted:

I remember this, it might have been ABiT (RIP)?

It was AOpen!

Yes, those are huge capacitors to drive the preamp.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it would be cool if someone revived that idea with these low profile tubes

https://korgnutube.com/en/

pointless, but cool

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

necrobobsledder posted:

Back in Linux land in the early 2000s I remember mucking with esd, pulse audio, and oss audio backends and specifically buying a Turtle Beach audio card because it had a Cirrus Logic chip that supported hardware mixing. All that to support listening to mp3s while being able to hear some terminal bleeps and bloops. What definitely did suck then and I think still sucks today on a lot of onboard sound chips is that there's a lot of noise and weird harmonics that can impact the DAC. This isn't a problem if you have an external USB DAC so much but boy is it annoying to build a $2k+ system and get coil whine with buzzing and interference from an SSD or an external USB drive because the motherboard used some cheapo Realtek chip. While it's gotten substantially better from the mid-2000s it's still something that I can notice unless I'm using purely optical or have just used USB based audio.

Use jack or a specialized realtime mixer. General sound mixers are fine for non demanding use but I wouldn't use them for anything with any sort of latency requirement beyond the basics.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

repiv posted:

it would be cool if someone revived that idea with these low profile tubes

https://korgnutube.com/en/

pointless, but cool

BRB, getting rich off of audiophiles.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I still have a lot of trouble with audio on Ubuntu but these days with my Bluetooth headset

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That's because Linux is a poo poo show for audio.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
There's now Pipewire which is a video and audio transport that is compatible with Pulse and jack APIs. It's still in early development, but it looks like it'll make pro audio and video a bunch easier.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Why do servers need audio though ??

Gigabyte has some fancy USB ports on some models now for DACs but all I could find was people complaining about it making their DACs unstable

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

That's because Linux is a poo poo show for audio.

Actually if you're doing a bunch of stuff with synths / pro audio and such it's fairly good? Pulseaudio sucks, but jack and alsa, a lot of the other programs and stuff work well.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

if this is real and there is actually a 9900KFC

C was broadwell. It meant eDRAM, and Jesus H Christ I'd love to see a 9900K with a phat slab of eDRAM.

I'm lickin' my fingers at the thought of some Coffeelake KFC

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
It might just mean a further harvested 9900k die where both the iGPU and part of the Cache are disabled.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That definitely sounds sensible. Intel's biggest problem at the high end is supply right now, they want to sell as many CPUs as they can.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BurritoJustice posted:

if this is real and there is actually a 9900KFC

C was broadwell. It meant eDRAM, and Jesus H Christ I'd love to see a 9900K with a phat slab of eDRAM.

I'm lickin' my fingers at the thought of some Coffeelake KFC

I am very ready to be disappointed by the eDRAM on a Coffee Lake just like on my Broadwell

bring it on, and with a side of mashed taters

Edit:

Indiana_Krom posted:

It might just mean a further harvested 9900k die where both the iGPU and part of the Cache are disabled.

K8.0 posted:

That definitely sounds sensible. Intel's biggest problem at the high end is supply right now, they want to sell as many CPUs as they can.
While this seems like a good idea, we're getting into "essentially just enabling HT for the 9700K" territory

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 16, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I know GloFo is kind of the runt of the chip fab litter, but I'm thinking this isn't good news: https://www.techpowerup.com/252745/globalfoundries-looking-for-buyers-samsung-and-sk-hynix-seem-interested

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I know GloFo is kind of the runt of the chip fab litter, but I'm thinking this isn't good news: https://www.techpowerup.com/252745/globalfoundries-looking-for-buyers-samsung-and-sk-hynix-seem-interested

It's unsurprising. The industry trends towards consolidation as capital requirements keep increasing.
The barrier to entry is real, and it is not my friend.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

HP did a big ol whoopsie and leaked potentially the entire range of upcoming Cascade Lake Scalable series:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13998/some-cascade-lake-xeon-scalable-processor-specifications-exposed-in-si-documents

Some core increases, some frequency bumps, and some L3 bumps. Nothin huge, but interesting none the less.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Nerdtalk inc
The last two days I tested 8 char Multiboxing on my 9900K@4,9 GHz. World of Warcraft Multiboxing is a certain niche of how to approach the gameplay. But buying the 9900K indeed had WoW Multiboxing as the main incentive for me.
The software service called InnerSpace from Lavish Soft ideally requires 1 native / physical core per WoW Clients, so 8 Clients need 8 cores for a best case performance scenario.
I started on a 6700K@4,3 GHz about 1,5 years ago, and 5 Boxing was okay, but 8 Boxing plus Streaming and recording with OBS was penetrating the 4c/8t 6700K, I had several lags and stutter.

While my 9900K did not win the silicon lottery and had several freezes at 5 GHz allcore in Battlefield V, it runs well @ 4,9 now.
8 boxing pushes the temps to ~ 67-71 degrees Celsius in all cores under a Corsair H150i but it runs smoothly, no freezes, and even OBS won’t cut the frames or add recording lag.
The master Wow client runs with 60 fps, the 7 slaves with 30 fps hardlimit btw.
The RAM hovers around 17-20 GB, so I absolutely can recommend WoW Multiboxing on a 9900K to all the other 2 people in this thread that might be curious :eng101:

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 24, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do what makes you happy, but does that take 8 subscriptions or can it all run from 1 account? I get conflicting results from Google.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’ve never understood how you could get proper positioning doing that. And performing heals while tanking, etc. just seems ridiculous. Or maybe that isn’t needed like in the 40-man raids I remember.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

craig588 posted:

Do what makes you happy, but does that take 8 subscriptions or can it all run from 1 account? I get conflicting results from Google.

It takes 8 subscriptions. When the new xpac gets released you need to buy it 8 times. It's definitely not for anyone that has any sort of budget. If money kicks you out of the house though, it's probably a great way to spend your time.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

craig588 posted:

A little bit offtopic:

Like Volguus said, you need a WoW license for every WoW instance.
But: You can pay your monthly WoW subscription of 12.99 Euro/Dollar with ingame gold by buying a WoW token.
More info here : https://wowtoken.info
So on high pop servers with high demand the 8 chars (8 licenses are/is the limit for 1 Blizzard Account. The terms of services allow a maximum of 3 Blizzard accounts, so 24 boxing would be the maximum that is tolerated within the TOS) can Farm serious amounts of raw stuff and material to sell on the auction house.
That’s why the Multiboxing usually call these “farmchars” to play for loot and gold.
A different approach is playing Multiboxing to kil PVE encounters and trying to raid solo with your own little army as far as possible.

My best weeks with focus on farming pulled in up to 5 Million gold (but with several hours of farming daily) in one week.
I was usually able to farm the amount of a goldcap (9.999.999 Gold) within 4 weeks because of Multiboxing.

Right now 8 tokens in the EU = 8*160k Gold needed for 1 month and all chars means ~ 1,3 Million Gold by selling that stuff in the auctionhouse.

Where multiboxing shines is looting: You loot with all chars against the loottable RNG, so you get tons of stuff and raw gold as well.
The rare Mobs in WoW drop rare loot („blue items“) that are bound on equip and usually have a lot of value.
So while a single char kills them and gets 1 rare item, I get 8.
The loot performance of open world WoW Multiboxing is what makes that mechanic fun.
Multiboxing paid for all my WoW accounts, subscriptions until 2020, and you can convert the WoW tokens in Blizzard Store money as well. So I bought 8 Battle for Azerroth Licenses, about 400 Overwatch loot boxes, over 1000 Hearthstone packs and Call of Duty Black Ops 4 Ultimate Edition (poo poo Game btw) ....from WoW Gold.

Back on topic, to play smoothly and efficiently you need good hardware, at least if you wanna go beyond the classic and most common 5 boxing.
The 9900K is the best in slot CPU right for this stuff, 8 cores and every core friggin fast to manage (actually InnerSpace is the logic and service that works here, but you get my point ) the 8 WoW clients and was worth the money.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Would a 2700x be able to nicely multibox 8 accounts like that or it gets hampered by it's shittier single threaded perf?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
WoW is designed to be playable on shitboxes so I assume a 2700x should handle it just fine.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Things might have changed with the most recent expansion but when Legion was newest I had it running on the first machine I ever played WoW on, a Pentium M at 2.56GHz with 4GB of 400MHz DDR[1] and an AGP Radeon 4570.

It wasn't good, but was definitely playable at 1080p low detail - probably around 30fps soloing. I'd bet a single core on a 2700X is a lot faster than that.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Otakufag posted:

Would a 2700x be able to nicely multibox 8 accounts like that or it gets hampered by it's shittier single threaded perf?

It’s a native 8 core, so the 2700 would be fitting perfectly. Physical cores do matter more for ISBoxer/InnerSpace than coreclocks.

The next Ryzen Desktop 8/12/16 core CPU Generation might be a Multiboxing wet dream price, power and performance wise.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, there was a long period where AMD had decent chips but the chipsets available for them were fuckin’ awful.

After loving around with crash-prone AMD/VIA systems, I swore I’d buy only Intel, and until the dual-core Athlon64/nForce combo became available, I suffered along with hot-running Netburst chips, ‘cause they were at least stable.

Hot take: VIA did more to hurt AMD than Intel did

Having an intel cpu but with VIA chipset also ruined its stability. The Abit VP6 with VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset running dual p3 was really something back in the day but would crash if you look at it wrong. While having pretty much any intel cpu with intel chipset would be rock solid.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got a VIA KT133 motherboard because I had so much SDR memory and it was one of the only chipsets that didn't need DDR. I later got an Nforce, I think, and just changing the chipset and memory doubled the performance. In retrospect AMD shouldn't have allowed SDR support considering the performance difference and relatively minor price difference.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

coke posted:

Having an intel cpu but with VIA chipset also ruined its stability. The Abit VP6 with VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset running dual p3 was really something back in the day but would crash if you look at it wrong. While having pretty much any intel cpu with intel chipset would be rock solid.

I had the same Via Apollo 133A chip in a dual-socket mobo(I believe it was an MSI board) and it was indeed unstable. If you were doing a large data transfer through the IDE bus(such as installing a game) while surfing the web, it would bluescreen about 10% of the time. Of course, I had a SB Live! as well, so...yeah.

It was too bad, because my dual Coppermine 933’s ran great when it wasn’t crashing, that’s why I tolerated it for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Otakufag posted:

Of course it will work. A 2700X might have lower single-thread performance, but it certainly isn't lovely. Zen was comparable to Broadwell, and Zen+ is marginally better.
Put it another way: would you think an overclocked Intel Core i7-6900K would struggle running 8 copies of a game that launched in 2004?