Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

heeebrew posted:

Chewy is a great youtube resource, especially for new guys starting out as he often addresses super common issues/questions.

I'm still a white belt but his videos usually give me something to think about or something to improve on with my jiu jitsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Chewy has lots of good information but he took a marketing class from Lloyd Irvin years ago (literally,; I'm not joking) and so some of stuff went from straight forward to clickbait marketing.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
The Lloyd style of marketing is really common unfortunately

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/theopenmat/status/1122328077600735232?s=19

Yianni's final over Zain was some good poo poo. And Downey planted a dude on his forehead.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/FloWrestling/status/1122270570916106240?s=19

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/Jacarra016/status/1122250779371298816?s=19

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWO4aOheObA

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Saw that Thoguh posted, knew it was wrestling time :getin:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

Saw that Thoguh posted, knew it was wrestling time :getin:

It is freestyle season.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
One of my teammates beat Stipe Miocic at Fight 2 Win last night. Most of us thought he was kidding when he told us about the match in the first place, so it's a little surreal but really cool.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
Just got back from a two week European vacation and got to do a couple drop ins, the highlight of which was definitely getting to the blue basement for Danahers no-gi afternoon class. I expected the quality of instruction, I wasn't prepared for the intangibles of that room, what a training environment. Roger Gracies in London was actually kind of a disappointment as I found it overly formal and Roger wasn't there, I wish I'd have gone up to Mill Hill instead even though I'm more of a Gi guy. I'd recommend anyone in Prague check out Jungle BJJ, didn't charge a 1 day mat fee for tourists,they were very chill, and the instruction when I was there was all in English.

I made a pretty game blue belt very happy since he caught me in a couple triangle but I make a point to roll extremely chill the first time I visit a place. It got me thinking though, how relaxed is too relaxed? There's a wierd push pull between your ego, the desire to represent your school and belt well, and not wanting to look like a dick or potentially injure someone that you're just training with the first time.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Using the Georgian grip for Sumi setups is sick. I hit a sacrifice throw using that on my instructor today. Even if you botch it, you still have the right sleeve grip that you can use for a butterfly sweep. Of course I got my rear end handed to me right after that, but....yeah progress on the Judo front.
Belt grip throws are like 80% of my gi arsenal. The yoko wakari(I do not know judo names very well) if they get wise and try to run is good to, you can find it looking for kashiwazaki on youtube.

awkward_turtle fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 29, 2019

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

awkward_turtle posted:

Belt grip throws are like 80% of my gi arsenal. The yoko wakari(I do not know judo names very well) if they get wise and try to run is good to, you can find it looking for kashiwazaki on youtube.

Did a search, theres all kinds of good stuff from him! Thanks for this.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

willie_dee posted:

Alright lads, it's finally happened, I've been royally called out.

Been asked to spar with them next week. Can't go into details but I'm in a no win situation, I'm either going to be destroyed or I will have to beat him up, either way I'll look like a dick, but when you talk the talk you gotta walk the walk.

I've got my fair share of haters in this thread so thought they would be happy to know. Might get filmed. Rip me.

So, how'd it go?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Freudian slippers posted:

So, how'd it go?

Post video.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

please god. i need this

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Did a search, theres all kinds of good stuff from him! Thanks for this.

Kashiwazaki is an interesting case and someone I recommend a lot of gi bjj players to look into. Essentially, he went to a less popular school and found that he wasn't getting called ippons as frequently by the judges when he went up against big names like Todai University. To compensate he developed a style of judo that included a lot of throws that transitioned smoothly into mat work since no one can question an opponent tapping out/ going unconscious. Unfortunately he likely wouldn't have been able to be a champion with modern restrictions on groundwork.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hey everyone, just want to take the temperature of the room on private lesson costs for BJJ. Got an email from my club asking the senior belts (purple and above, like me, somehow :v:), if they would be interested in teaching privates. 

If I was going to do a private for a white belt looking to get ready to go up to Blue (we have a curriculum which needs to be demonstrated + a shark tank equivalent before you get promoted) it's $50/hour.

In addition, if I were to do regular private lessons, it would break down as follows (based on the rank of the person teaching the private):
- $70/hour for Purple Belts
- $85/hour for Brown Belts and
- $100/hour for Black Belts

Half of the money goes to me and the other half to the club (all of this is in Canadian dollarydoos).

Maybe there are some people in the thread that can shed some light on what they charge/splits with the gym/etc.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Drewjitsu posted:

Hey everyone, just want to take the temperature of the room on private lesson costs for BJJ. Got an email from my club asking the senior belts (purple and above, like me, somehow :v:), if they would be interested in teaching privates. 

If I was going to do a private for a white belt looking to get ready to go up to Blue (we have a curriculum which needs to be demonstrated + a shark tank equivalent before you get promoted) it's $50/hour.

In addition, if I were to do regular private lessons, it would break down as follows (based on the rank of the person teaching the private):
- $70/hour for Purple Belts
- $85/hour for Brown Belts and
- $100/hour for Black Belts

Half of the money goes to me and the other half to the club (all of this is in Canadian dollarydoos).

Maybe there are some people in the thread that can shed some light on what they charge/splits with the gym/etc.

My gym charges parents 60$ an hour for your kid to get an hour with a black belt. 55$ if you're doing multiple hours.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

I have two coaches I get privates from, both are black belts who have multiple pan, worlds, and IBJJF tournament victories in their respective divisions between the two of them and they charge 100 us dollars/hour regardless of rank. They also own their own gym so it's all going back to themselves one way or another.

Honestly charge what ever you think is fair for your time and effort.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 29, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

I have two coaches I get privates from, both are black belts who have multiple pan, worlds, and IBJJF tournament victories in their respective divisions between the two of them and they charge 100 us dollars/hour regardless of rank. They also own their own gym so it's all going back to themselves one way or another.

Honestly charge what ever you think is fair for your time and effort.

The problem is that I don't get to set rates, the gym does. I don't get to negotiate fee splits either. Perhaps I wasn't being clear, the various fees that are charged are dependant on the instructors rank, not the trainees rank.

I'm unlikely to end up doing any sort of significant amount of privates, even though I'm the "leg lock" guy at this sort of rate. :shrug:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

The problem is that I don't get to set rates, the gym does. I don't get to negotiate fee splits either. Perhaps I wasn't being clear, the various fees that are charged are dependant on the instructors rank, not the trainees rank.

Oh. 70$ for a lesson from a purple belt seems real steep unless you guys are a bunch of killers that routinely win worlds or something.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 10, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My old instructor who is a name in bjj charged I believe 300 an hour but I think he sold blocks and discounted for buying a month or a quarter out. You could also split with someone which I think was also popular.

Supposedly Keenan's rate is 500 but idk if that's puffery or a real price a real person paid.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

spb posted:

Yesterday, I watched John Danaher and Ben Askren talk about their respective sports. Ben is well known for criticizing how BJJ is taught, how they do 5 minute rounds which allows anyone to do what they want and so can avoid pushing themselves to improve (by relying on the same tricks). John agreed that it's really crappy way to improve and that its symptomatic of how BJJ school are run as clubs. In a club setting, you are paying for membership, a lot of people do recreationally (myself included) and in order to learn a new skill there is some intense pushing that needs to happen which most people wouldn't be cool with. So thinking about it, I'm not sure if I would want the structure to change as I like the club atmosphere but also can see how that environment can stall growth.

That's cool, I guess I'm imagining someone starting MMA at 30 and hoping they can become a UFC world champion or something.

Pls post this source I wanna listen

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Supposedly Keenan's rate is 500 but idk if that's puffery or a real price a real person paid.

I've heard that Gordon Ryan and Erik Paulson are/were around that figure at one point.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Are privates worth it? I've never done it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The trick is to be the uke for privates because you still learn but it's free

I've done that twice lol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
A lot of privates are a group rate, so a lesson might be $300 but what you do is grab 3 buddies and each pay $75.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Also in CAD

$30 / hour - Purple Belt

$40 / hour - Brown Belt

$50 / hour - Black Belt

Nobody famous.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Privates can be really valuable, they can be a great way to get more mat time (if making class is a challenge).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

spb posted:

Maybe. A rich kid showed up to our gym and his parents paid for him to have an hour long private every day with a black belt just before the regular kids class.

He went from knowing nothing to being able to own all the kids in his class in about 6 months (maybe less/more by a little bit) and winning tournaments pretty easily (from what I saw).

He's since moved on to another thing, but the private lessons absolutely made a huge difference.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

for FightSports HQ, in USD (listed on site)- Vitor Riciotti, Denis Mitchel Pinto, Valdir Araujo, Daniel Mourra, Paulo Azambuja - $100, Cyborg - $350

these guys are all great instructors and absolute killers at black belt level, lots of them very active and successful competitors. I think $70 for a purple belt is asking a lot

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Maybe. A rich kid showed up to our gym and his parents paid for him to have an hour long private every day with a black belt just before the regular kids class.

He went from knowing nothing to being able to own all the kids in his class in about 6 months (maybe less/more by a little bit) and winning tournaments pretty easily (from what I saw).

He's since moved on to another thing, but the private lessons absolutely made a huge difference.

That's cool, I might try it out. For me thought I don't really want to just do a private with any black belt, I would want someone who is a good teacher since a lot of black belts are excellent at what they do but that doesn't mean they can articulate it in anyway. drat a private with Ryan Hall would be sick.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

Consistent private lessons from a decent black belt will help you. The trick is realizing how you learn best and leveraging it. If you're like me and learn best through trial and error, getting a dude to roll with you, dunk on you for a minor mistake and then tell you how he did it and what you should try next time instead is gonna pay off huge. On the other hand if you're like me, sitting there and drilling isn't gonna be a good use of your time and money.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Guys, $70 CAD is like $8 USD so take that into account.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I get free privates all the time because I message my instructor and be like "yo rolls?" and he'll be like "ya."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I guess I pay in armbars

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I guess I pay in armbars

rear end, grass, or gas, no one rolls for free :v:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My coach once said that he thinks about me whenever he thinks about BJJ, because I’m such a baffling combination of good and bad, and that he’s determined to fix me as an exercise in the improvement of his own teaching skills.

That’s the secret to free privates, losers! Just be so bad that it’s fascinating to others

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Wangsbig posted:

please god. i need this

I wont be updating in this the grappling thread, its boxing.