Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Even playing with other people it's still mostly just dq gameplay, not mmo gameplay

But I also simply just talk with the other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Nihilarian posted:

if the offline version is so bad that it's worse than an mmo with an inherant language barrier i will simply play neither

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the unfiltered textures in dqxo look like dogshit!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have no idea what the worldwide opinion on DQ is, what do you guys think are the most popular ones? I've only played 5, 8, and 11 and they were all fun but I definitely don't think I have a grasp of what the rating per game looks like.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
3, 5 and..hm, probably 8?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I have no idea what the worldwide opinion on DQ is, what do you guys think are the most popular ones? I've only played 5, 8, and 11 and they were all fun but I definitely don't think I have a grasp of what the rating per game looks like.

I think worldwide 8 is probably the most popular, but if you ask Japan in particular it's going to be 3 or 5.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've heard jp really loving loved dq5 (for good reason, it turns out). Dunno how accurate that is. Of the eight games i've fished, i really liked 3, 4, 5 and 8 myself

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RareAcumen posted:

8, it was the first one the EU region got.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RareAcumen posted:

It's a fad to post tier lists of the series on Reddit and I read them all during errands. 5 and 8 are always at the top and it's a flame war after that. I've noticed DQ4 gets some really divisive opinions and there are more people than I expected that like 9.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
9 was really good if you totally ignore the endgame of it! Like the actual game itself, aside from being a bit slow to get to Alltrades Abbey (seriously is it just mandatory that that happens, it's in like half the DQs that it's too slow to let you class change) is pretty drat solid gameplay-wise. Just have to ignore the hellgrind if you don't like that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

mikeycp posted:

Even playing with other people it's still mostly just dq gameplay, not mmo gameplay

But I also simply just talk with the other people

I did a bit of research, and this appears to be the case. I have such a huge backlog of other DQ games, though, that I can't justify putting another one on my (virtual) shelf.

Completely unrelated, but one thing that always made me happy about DQ7 for the 3Ds is that they localised it into other languages apart from just English and Japanese. Given how much arm-twisting was required to get the western port and what a huge game 7 is in terms of text, I did not expect that.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

9 was really good if you totally ignore the endgame of it! Like the actual game itself, aside from being a bit slow to get to Alltrades Abbey (seriously is it just mandatory that that happens, it's in like half the DQs that it's too slow to let you class change) is pretty drat solid gameplay-wise. Just have to ignore the hellgrind if you don't like that.

I'm not proud of this, but I'm sick of content being locked behind MP features that are only relevant for 60-90 days after a game is released. That soured me to DQ9, the PSP version of FFT and others. It's a little childesh, I grant you, but it's also really bad design.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
DQ9 needs fashion slots for equipment

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm not proud of this, but I'm sick of content being locked behind MP features that are only relevant for 60-90 days after a game is released. That soured me to DQ9, the PSP version of FFT and others. It's a little childesh, I grant you, but it's also really bad design.
oh for sure, the best way to experience 9 is to do what that one person hacked up and set up your computer as a fake distribution center for all the wifi only multiplayer only blah blah content so you just unlock it forever, which is dumb as hell

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If emulating or otherwise pirating, you can use a save editor to do that as well.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

My favorites in order are:
3, 5, 11, 8, 4, 1, 6, 7, 2, 9

But also I love each and every one of them. If I did a tier list the lowest tier would be a B.

I haven't played 10 but I want to someday.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
DQ11 is the best selling iirc, not that that is surprising since it’s the most recent and had wider platform availability. DQ5 could’ve been big if they’d done US and Europe releases on the SNES but they didn’t for whatever reason.

whydirt posted:

DQ9 needs fashion slots for equipment

Goddamn this. It is insane that a company makes a game where your gear changes your appearance and there aren’t dedicated cosmetic slots.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ11 is the best selling iirc, not that that is surprising since it’s the most recent and had wider platform availability. DQ5 could’ve been big if they’d done US and Europe releases on the SNES but they didn’t for whatever reason.

Goddamn this. It is insane that a company makes a game where your gear changes your appearance and there aren’t dedicated cosmetic slots.
IIRC Enix USA closed doors for a while in the 90s and that's why DQ5 and 6 didn't get localizations until the DS. And they didn't have a European branch until the Square merger so the first DQ game they got over there was 8 IIRC.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I thought Nintendo localized DQ1-4 directly?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC Enix USA closed doors for a while in the 90s and that's why DQ5 and 6 didn't get localizations until the DS. And they didn't have a European branch until the Square merger so the first DQ game they got over there was 8 IIRC.

They didn't close doors. They released plenty of things that weren't DQ games. ActRaiser, Robotrek, EVO, Illusion of Gaia, Soul Blazer... They even published Paladin's Quest and Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, games they hadn't originally developed. Here's a full list of their releases.

My theory is that the head of Enix US was one of the multitude of western game publisher guys who believed there was no real market for RPGs in the west. I'm pretty sure that's the reason ActRaiser II removed its RPG elements - I've read translated JP interviews talking about how Western feedback was the reason for that. Obviously that choice was completely wrong, and I am of the opinion that Enix US's refusal to translate Dragon Quest games into English during the 90s era's stateside RPG rennaissance did irreparable damage to the IP's cultural cachet, something DQ still hasn't really recovered from.

SQEX's halfhearted support of it doesn't help either, of course. It definitely feels like DQ gets crumbs compared to the budgetary and marketing feast that FF games tend to get. Every decade or so, SQEX makes a weak Western push for a few EN-translated Dragon Quest games and spinoffs (that almost all have the exact same soundtrack with no new arrangements) with barely any marketing, and then when the games inevitably produce tepid sales results, they go "Welp, we tried," and throw up their hands and give up for another decade.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
3, 5, and 11 are my favorites in no particular order. 8 is probably just below those 3, with 6 a little below 8. I liked 2 and 4, but I played them on original hardware and there's a lot of jank to deal with on that which knocks them down a peg. I'm sure if I replayed them on emulator or one of the remakes that my opinion would improve on those.

1 I didn't like that much because it was too hard for me as a kid to keep track of dungeon layouts and especially the random encounters.

I haven't played 7, 9, or 10.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

In fairness, for a time they couldn't drum up interest in the US for the series even with giving the game away for free with a Nintendo Power subscription (which was a good bit cheaper than buying the game retail). Each title after the first sold less and less. There really wasn't a market for DQ in the US at the time.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

one of my favorite thing in rpgs is when you change your sword and the character model changes to reflect that :shrug:

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

Hokuto posted:

SQEX's halfhearted support of it doesn't help either, of course. It definitely feels like DQ gets crumbs compared to the budgetary and marketing feast that FF games tend to get. Every decade or so, SQEX makes a weak Western push for a few EN-translated Dragon Quest games and spinoffs (that almost all have the exact same soundtrack with no new arrangements) with barely any marketing, and then when the games inevitably produce tepid sales results, they go "Welp, we tried," and throw up their hands and give up for another decade.

See also the fact that some version of Final Fantasies 1-10 and 12 are available on literally every current platform while the only Dragon Quests with wide availability are 11 and a few recent spinoffs. It’s so hard to recommend the series to friends because the non-11 games I like best are either in mobile jail or dead on the 3DS, and my attempt to play through the series emulated has been stymied at 6 by the fact that my 3DS’s circle pad is sticking badly enough that it causes problems with using D-pad only and I don’t trust myself to fix it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ran Rannerson posted:

See also the fact that some version of Final Fantasies 1-10 and 12 are available on literally every current platform while the only Dragon Quests with wide availability are 11 and a few recent spinoffs. It’s so hard to recommend the series to friends because the non-11 games I like best are either in mobile jail or dead on the 3DS, and my attempt to play through the series emulated has been stymied at 6 by the fact that my 3DS’s circle pad is sticking badly enough that it causes problems with using D-pad only and I don’t trust myself to fix it.

????

I through VI, and VIII are available on mobile, right now, in English. And I through III have Switch releases. I would call that wide availability. The only mainline games without wide availability are VII and IX, which are either stuck on dead systems, or only have a Japanese mobile release.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

????

I through VI, and VIII are available on mobile, right now, in English. And I through III have Switch releases. I would call that wide availability. The only mainline games without wide availability are VII and IX, which are either stuck on dead systems, or only have a Japanese mobile release.

I played through 4 on mobile and thought touch controls added an element of “this sucks rear end” to an otherwise pleasant experience and as such would not recommend it to a friend. This might just be my personal damage but like, I would more heartily recommend 4-8 if they were available on the Switch or Steam or something.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hokuto posted:

My theory is that the head of Enix US was one of the multitude of western game publisher guys who believed there was no real market for RPGs in the west. I'm pretty sure that's the reason ActRaiser II removed its RPG elements - I've read translated JP interviews talking about how Western feedback was the reason for that. Obviously that choice was completely wrong, and I am of the opinion that Enix US's refusal to translate Dragon Quest games into English during the 90s era's stateside RPG rennaissance did irreparable damage to the IP's cultural cachet, something DQ still hasn't really recovered from.

To be fair, SNES Dragon Quest 5 was... not a very good game. It was a step down from DQ4, IMO. Releasing it probably would not have helped very much. It wasn't until the PS2 (and, later, the DS version that we got) that it really hit its stride and became one of the better ones.

I would have killed for DQ6 at the time, though. (Nowadays I think it's a bit too long, really - but as a teenager with a SNES and time to burn? I would've loved it to bits.)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ran Rannerson posted:

I played through 4 on mobile and thought touch controls added an element of “this sucks rear end” to an otherwise pleasant experience and as such would not recommend it to a friend. This might just be my personal damage but like, I would more heartily recommend 4-8 if they were available on the Switch or Steam or something.
It's not just you, I found DQ1 on mobile completely unplayable and refunded it before I got it of the first castle. I tried 5, and while it's nowhere near as bad as 1, I'd still prefer to have a version with actual controls. I'm hoping that the DQ3 remake, if it ever comes out, leads to more remakes of other DQ games in its engine on platforms better suited to the type of game DQ is. Hell, there was a section in Murdaw's castle in DQ6 where you had a one-tile-wide bridge over a pit that was enough of a pain in the rear end on DS, it'd be basically impossible with the DQ5 mobile controls.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If a game has a mobile release with a "virtual joystick" and it isn't controller compatible I basically count that as "not actually having a mobile version". That's not playable to me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Hokuto posted:

They didn't close doors. They released plenty of things that weren't DQ games. ActRaiser, Robotrek, EVO, Illusion of Gaia, Soul Blazer... They even published Paladin's Quest and Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, games they hadn't originally developed. Here's a full list of their releases.

I heard the same thing about Actraiser 1. I received a copy that my aunt bought me in France, and I loved that game even though the movement was a little robotic. I remember renting 2 and... it wasn't bad, but it wasn't the same. Then they come out with the recent remake and I was happy to hear they brought back the civ-building elements... until I found out that they tacked on a piss-awful tower defence mode. I still haven't played that.

YggiDee posted:

If a game has a mobile release with a "virtual joystick" and it isn't controller compatible I basically count that as "not actually having a mobile version". That's not playable to me.

I think that this is being rather melodramatic. I think that virtual pads work just fine for games, like RPGs, that don't require quick movement. Anything with action, though... no. I bought one of the GTA games, Liberty City Stories, on iPad just to see how it was. The port was excellent technically, but controlling it was like trying to arm wrestle an octopus.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've tried both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy mobile versions and I absolutely can't stand it

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm with YggiDee here. I want to play FF Dimensions but I just can't because it doesn't take controller input. I got like a dungeon and a half in before I got so mad at it I stopped. On-screen joystick and buttons just doesn't work for me.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Hyper Inferno posted:

1 I didn't like that much because it was too hard for me as a kid to keep track of dungeon layouts and especially the random encounters.

I remember helping my brothers in 1 when I was like 4 years old by grinding slimes just a bit outside Tantagel Castle. I was scared to go too far away.

The GBC version was released when I was 11 and I played it some but never beat it. When they were making the 3ds versions of 7 and 8 it reminded me that I'd loved 1 as a kid so I went and picked up my GBC stuff from my mom's house. I finally beat it, and then played the rest of them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Touch screen bad, bring back physical buttons for everything.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The sad thing is that the mobile versions of the Zenethia trilogy are the definitive ones, having the most content, the best balance tweaks and the best music and with properly translated party chat, the DS ROM Hack which adds it in is based on the Japanese ROM which lacks a bunch of QoL features the US DS ROM had so isn't really optimal either. But the controls ruin them. I have thought about using Android emulators which allow you to map inputs to a controller but most of them are malware ridden messes and the Windows 11 Android game support doesn't even accept the Dragon Quest games.

I really, really wish Yuji Horii just released the games on modern systems and be done with it and it's making me nervous that there's been a bunch of HD2D games announced and released since Dragon Quest 3 HD's announcement like Octopath Traveler 2, Star Ocean the Second Story R and Live A Live but radio silence on Dragon Quest 3. But then I wonder if Nintendo is limiting release of those games on anything that isn't Nintendo platforms because Square-Enix doesn't feel like publishing the games themselves.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 26, 2023

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly I think what's most wild about the HD 2D DQ3 remake is that in the time between it got announced and now a whole rear end entry in the Dragon Quest Monsters series was announced and is now being released before any other news on it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I can't truthfully disagree with any of you. I played DQ2 all the way to max level on the iPad, but it's hardly an optimal experience.

Speaking of, I'm rather in the mood lately to play DQIV, but I don't know if I want to play the iPad version with the crappy controls but party chat, or the DS version with proper tactile controls but in my preferred language, yet without party chat.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Play the DS version and just look up transcripts of party chat imo. They're fun but they're just text.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You could play a translated version of the japanese ds if you want party chat

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I can't truthfully disagree with any of you. I played DQ2 all the way to max level on the iPad, but it's hardly an optimal experience.

Speaking of, I'm rather in the mood lately to play DQIV, but I don't know if I want to play the iPad version with the crappy controls but party chat, or the DS version with proper tactile controls but in my preferred language, yet without party chat.

You could play the ROM hack which patches the Japanese DS version with the English script and translates party chat. It is missing a few QoL stuff presentation wise that the US and EU ROMs have though and party chat can't be reimplemented on the US and EU ROMs simply because they removed Party Chat functionality entirely instead of dummying it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Hokuto posted:

They even published Paladin's Quest and Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, games they hadn't originally developed. Here's a full list of their releases.

Apparently they never developed a single game by themselves. They were just a publisher.

Add me to the list of RPG fans slighted by Enix's refusal to give us 16-bit DQs in NA. :argh: Some of those other SNES games they did put out were cool, though.