Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nobody wants to aim for the low-hanging fruit.

:golfclap: Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

BottledBodhisvata posted:

But Oberon gets mad pussy dawg, that's sorta his THING, that's why Titania all up in his bizness, gettin' attitudes and poo poo.

I'm gay, we know our own. Trust me.

:tinfoil:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I missed out on Aigis SLink Max by a single day :negative:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Should've boned Ken.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Obv my Ultimate Persona. Priestess arcana switching to Tower would be interesting.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

laplace posted:

I'm gay, we know our own. Trust me.

:tinfoil:

Don't you force your gay agenda into wholesome gaelic mythology about rape fairies and magical assholes pls thx

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

UberJumper posted:

I missed out on Aigis SLink Max by a single day :negative:

Literally what happened to me last time I played FES. :negative:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
She gives you 3rd degree burns on your hand but it's otherwise a very touching moment :unsmith:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Okay, so, Persona 3 FES question - where are emeralds? You need them to buy the SP-restoring items, but I've gotten to the 98th floor of Tartarus and I haven't found anything that drops them. Is it that they're in a way lower section or something?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Okay, so, Persona 3 FES question - where are emeralds? You need them to buy the SP-restoring items, but I've gotten to the 98th floor of Tartarus and I haven't found anything that drops them. Is it that they're in a way lower section or something?

Different monsters from the mid to highest level drop them, but I can't remember which ones. One of the guides on GameFAQs has a drop list in it somewhere, though.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I finally finished Persona 3 (FeMC), and it was absolutely fantastic for so many reasons and even in some ways i liked it more than Persona 4. P4's characthers and social links for the most part i found them to be a hell of a lot stronger, and more interesting than P3's. However P3 did have some fairly decent social links like the Sun, and the Hermit, but a bunch of them to me felt like they were filler. I really did not care for the vast majority of SEES characters except Junpei and the Dog. Junpei was probably my favorite character and it was made all so much the better when he flat out rejects the FeMC. But a bunch of them like Akihiko, Aigis, or even Yukari i just didn't really give a drat for. In P4 the game made me care about everyone (even Yosuke near the end).

(Warning P4/P3 Spoilers) I really did like the overarching storyline a bit more then P4. Adachi was an absolutely fantastic psychopath but he wasn't the true mastermind. The actual true villian was just well creepy but not very interesting. In P3 you know about Nyx is coming, and you know unless you do something the world is going to die. I just found P3's overarching plot seems and feels to be far more pressing and urgent and the city genuinely seems to be going to hell. I also really liked the last month of Persona 3, but the atmosphere was almost soul crushing. More and more people with Apathy syndrome showing up everywhere, and the doomsday cult spreading everywhere. The city seemingly looking more and more like a shithole.

The ending felt extremely bittersweet but appropriate. :smith:

I really liked it and it is still one of my favorite RPG's of all time. I think it had a better overarching plot than P4, but P4 had far superior characters and made me actually care about them.

Anyways i had a few questions:

- I don't understand Evokers, if they are meant to traumatize you to force your persona to appear right? Wouldn't that loose all effectiveness after you pull the trigger for the 50th time?
- What happened to Chidori? She came back to life at one point, then is never mentioned again.
- Is there a way to bring back Shinjiro? He becomes a vegetable and is never really talked about again :smith:
- The P3 MC basically gave their life to seal Nyx away right? But she stuck around until graduation day? Then died in the arms of Aigis before her friends could say goodbye :smith:?
- Did i miss a party member along the way? By the end of the game there is still an empty dorm room.

Poor Saori :smith:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

UberJumper posted:

Anyways i had a few questions:

- I don't understand Evokers, if they are meant to traumatize you to force your persona to appear right? Wouldn't that loose all effectiveness after you pull the trigger for the 50th time?
- What happened to Chidori? She came back to life at one point, then is never mentioned again.
- Is there a way to bring back Shinjiro? He becomes a vegetable and is never really talked about again :smith:
- The P3 MC basically gave their life to seal Nyx away right? But she stuck around until graduation day? Then died in the arms of Aigis before her friends could say goodbye :smith:?
- Did i miss a party member along the way? By the end of the game there is still an empty dorm room.

Poor Saori :smith:

In the original game Chidori just dies. She doesn't survive. In FES you can do certain things so that she really lives but it can't change things much so she's just written out of the story. Shinjiro can be revived in the PSP version, P3P. You can't miss any party members. Your death and its circumstances are explained in more or less detail in the bonus Answer, which you should have if you are playing FES. The Evokers resemble guns to drive home a psychological do-or-die instinct that draws the Persona out. It's basically a portable near-death-experience.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Strange Quark posted:

The compendium doesn't even matter all that much until the endgame or NG+ anyway since it's generally way too pricy.

Of course, I was perpetually broke from snapping up all the demons with Watchful/Vigilant in the auction to just let sit in my stock. :downs:

See I'm having the opposite problem where there's some cool demons I want to fuse, but I'm dependent on the auction for "ingredients" and when they're not in the auction, I can't do anything because no compendium. Not to mention even when they are, they're often times the one/two star crap level ones. Though I do like the names, such as a one star Jack Frost being "Jack Squat."

But yeah pretty annoying since I just fused something which left one team short, so I had to go in the auction and buy something I didn't even really want to give them the full three members. Would really love to have the compendium right now (I'm in early evening on day 2).

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Both Chidori and Shinjiro died permanently and never came back in the original P3. The deaths were retconned out in each remake (Chidori in P3: FES and Shinjiro in P3P) with a few scenes added to make them not really dead.
So the reversals of the two characters' deaths are both kind of tacked on additions to the original game's plot, hence why they are not really brought up again.

UberJumper posted:

This whole part of the plot is elaborated on more in The Answer which was only a part of P3: FES. I forget if it explains this bit though since the story of The Answer is fairly forgettable.

UberJumper posted:

There are no optional party members in P3.

edit: beat to it while writing. redundant post

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

UberJumper posted:

- That scene wasn't in the original Persona 3, and was added for FES, the updated rerelease, and kept in P3P. It's ambiguous as to whether or not it's canon.
- If you play through New Game+ and manage to get his S. Link to 10, then it's possible for him to show up on the last day and hold the female MC in his arms instead of Aigis. He always dies in the male MC's path, since the male MC doesn't have a Social Link with him.
- Pretty much. The Answer expands on this a little, but yeah, the P3 MC sacrifices him/herself to create the Great Seal, locking away Nyx and preventing the end of the world.
- The empty dorm room is the room the Male MC would have been in if you'd played as him instead.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And just to be clear about Shinjiro

Him surviving is essentially pointless since he's doomed anyway for the persona supressing drug, plus the fact that he's in a coma after Takaya shoots him and well, I ended really upset for the fakeout with the FeMC

And about Chidori

I think she's mentionated by Junpei on P4 Ultimax so she might've survived

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

UberJumper posted:

That's the Male MC's room. Likewise if you were playing as him, the FeMC's room would've been empty.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twelve by Pies posted:

See I'm having the opposite problem where there's some cool demons I want to fuse, but I'm dependent on the auction for "ingredients" and when they're not in the auction, I can't do anything because no compendium. Not to mention even when they are, they're often times the one/two star crap level ones. Though I do like the names, such as a one star Jack Frost being "Jack Squat."

But yeah pretty annoying since I just fused something which left one team short, so I had to go in the auction and buy something I didn't even really want to give them the full three members. Would really love to have the compendium right now (I'm in early evening on day 2).

It's easy enough to re-roll what's offered in the auction. It changes whenever you advance time, but also when you soft reset the game.

I think the Devil Survivor games make the best case for the costs of fusion, that having fewer good demons in favor of a very good one can be more beneficial. Sometimes you need to just hold off fusing and that's fine. V:shobon:V

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Did anyone ever try the SMT MMO? Is that still a thing? I heard it wasn't very good, but my curiosity has been piqued.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Neurion posted:

Did anyone ever try the SMT MMO? Is that still a thing? I heard it wasn't very good, but my curiosity has been piqued.

The non-Japanese servers have been shut down for a while. It was grindy as all hell when I played (I was in the US closed beta, to some unremembered point after it went live), in a way where leveling from, say, 29 to 30 was harder than leveling from 30 to 31. Controls were a bit wonky, but doable, dungeons were a slog, and there wasn't terribly much to do after completing the story besides dungeon crawls.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Oh hey, there's a SMT thread. I guess I should have posted my P3 impressions/questions here rather than bothering the P4:Golden one over the last several days. Whoops.

Now that I've finished it there is a stupid anime video game shaped hole in my life. Maybe I'll check out the story mode of P4A. It can't be as bad as The Answer, right? Right?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

No, because P4A's a ton of fun.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Vargs posted:

Oh hey, there's a SMT thread. I guess I should have posted my P3 impressions/questions here rather than bothering the P4:Golden one over the last several days. Whoops.

Now that I've finished it there is a stupid anime video game shaped hole in my life. Maybe I'll check out the story mode of P4A. It can't be as bad as The Answer, right? Right?

My understanding is that it's not so great. I've heard some good things about PQ though, so maybe you can look forward to that.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Vargs posted:

It's longer than it needs to be and it's a super-wordy visual novel format, but they bank on the characters' chemistry carrying you through and at least for me it worked.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vargs posted:

The story is stupid and bad, but it's certainly a better fighting game than The Answer is a dungeon crawler. In some ways I would say it's a worse story because it's a fighting game. Everyone gets a story so they all end up contradicting each other because they all have to win in the end. It is pretty cool to see inside all of the character's heads though (except Yu, he's the least interesting person ever), you get to see how they think.

I get a strong Marie vibe from Labrys as well, though Labrys is completely unavoidable and is basically the star of the show in every character story. She's more of a Mary Sue than Marie.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

She makes up for it by still being a better character though. :colbert:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
P4A is really odd because they clearly didn't want it to just be a cash in fighting game, so they tried giving it a story. The problem being it's pretty impossible to make a fighting game story something other than a really lame tournament, so they were kind of stuck with all these contrivances in the story.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Terper posted:

She makes up for it by still being a better character though. :colbert:

Labrys is infinitely worse because you don't get a cool persona from hanging out with her. :colbert: This is Persona 101 here, c'mon.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

actually Marie is the worst

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sister-Complex Kingpin of Steel in Yosuke's story is the best, so P4A's story is great. :colbert:

Really, P4A's story is worth putting up with (I didn't mind it myself) just so that >Execute Yosuke/Teddie wishes can come true.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That was the worst joke in the game, though.

Butt Ghost posted:

actually Marie is the worst

Eh, Labrys is way worse to me on every level.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The sister complex thing always came off as a complete non-joke to me. He treats Nanako like a sister, haha he has a complex? It's like saying Yosuke has a Teddy complex because he houses the guy.

As for Marie vs Labrys, at this point you're comparing bad with bad, so I don't think it really matters who's worse.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, like how Chie isn't what her title describe her to be. It's like their shadows's trashtalk, in a way: An insult with just enough of a sliver of truth ("He cares about his sister", says), to really get under the skin.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It isn't funny though is the thing.

Momomo posted:

As for Marie vs Labrys, at this point you're comparing bad with bad, so I don't think it really matters who's worse.

You're right, but Golden isn't 100% Marie all the time from beginning to end like Arena is with Labrys. You can't go five minutes without Labrys popping up in any story. With the exception of a couple scenes you can functionally ignore Marie for the entire game. This is why I find Labrys worse.

edit: it's also dumb because she doesn't really seem important to the overarching story in the first place. Arena is just a lead in to Ultimax, it's largely unnecessary.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 5, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Marie has an entire dungeon dedicated to her, is inserted into the main group, is literally the first character you see after arriving in Inaba, has her own S. Link, is a part of the main antagonist, and is the unlock key for the new ending. Like yeah, the game doesn't focus on her, but she's very clearly shown to be insanely important especially after he dungeon. Like just because you can ignore doesn't stop it from being in the game, that's a lovely point. I'm not even debating for the quality of her character here, just that she's really in your face in P4G. Just because a story doesn't revolve around her doesn't change that.

quote:

edit: it's also dumb because she doesn't really seem important to the overarching story in the first place. Arena is just a lead in to Ultimax, it's largely unnecessary.

Now see, you're making this argument again which was proven to be wrong and no amount of fanfiction you write to try and cover it does not change that.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Neither Marie nor Labrys are that bad. :unsmith:

They're both just anime JRPG characters in a game series surrounded by other, better-than-most-but-not-particularly-amazing JRPG characters.

I don't understand the huge hatred for either of them. Marie's a little pandering, Labrys is a little weird, but... They both function, so there's that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

Marie has an entire dungeon dedicated to her, is inserted into the main group, is literally the first character you see after arriving in Inaba, has her own S. Link, is a part of the main antagonist, and is the unlock key for the new ending. Like yeah, the game doesn't focus on her, but she's very clearly shown to be insanely important especially after he dungeon. Like just because you can ignore doesn't stop it from being in the game, that's a lovely point. I'm not even debating for the quality of her character here, just that she's really in your face in P4G. Just because a story doesn't revolve around her doesn't change that.

How is it a bad argument when it's factually accurate? You can totally ignore her outside of the poetry scenes, the intro and near the end if you didn't finish her link. Whether or not you should isn't the point and I never said she was unimportant. You'll miss out on the new stuff but the game functions perfectly fine. Persona 4 existed before she did, after all.

quote:

Now see, you're making this argument again which was proven to be wrong and no amount of fanfiction you write to try and cover it does not change that.

No, it was proven that you disagree with me. Which is fine, we don't need to have that argument twice. It's not like it'll change anyone's minds.

laplace posted:

I don't understand the huge hatred for either of them. Marie's a little pandering, Labrys is a little weird, but... They both function, so there's that.

I don't hate either of them and I doubt anyone else goes that far either. I even kinda like Marie, but that doesn't mean she isn't poorly written.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arena's story isn't great (I still hate that the robot stuff found its way into P4), but it's absolutely killed by its format. I figured out what Labrys' deal was immediately and I still had to go through eight more storylines to "find out." The first several characters go through exactly the same stuff and all the important story beats are relegated to the P3 characters (and Naoto), which is lame because they're the least interesting characters.

e: Also Labrys is better than Marie because she has a dumb accent and it rules.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akihiko is the only member of that second storyline to actually go through anything of a character arc though, which is stupid, but whatever. It's not like you're gonna do anymore with Aegis or Mitsuru than you've already done, they're both pretty dull characters with no more room for interesting development short of making them villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
There's a couple stories in Arena that are actually pretty good (Kanji, Yosuke, Elizabeth, Akihiko), but as said before they're killed by having to slog through so much crap to actually do what you want. If I could have just done those, I'd have a higher opinion of the game's plot. P4U is fixing this though, since there's just one story for P4 and one for P3, then probably a true ending with all of them.

It's a pretty solid fighting game though and easy to get into if it's your first.