Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yardbomb posted:

I'm not gonna watch because I'm not clicking a breitbart link, that dump takes a while to load if it does at all, assumedly because so much poo poo is getting blocked, also because oh it is the massive trashbag milo you were talking about I guess, who I'd rather not ever willingly subject myself to, but it'd probably help if you just explained what you're getting at here in general.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/movies/leslie-jones-star-of-ghostbusters-becomes-a-target-of-online-trolls.html?_r=0

But yeah James Rolfe definitely had it worst. And it totally wasn't dumb of the RLM crew to add fuel to the fire by making a follow-up video that genuinely convinced unhinged goons that Paul Feig paid Milo to create a backlash. Admitting RLM can make a single bad move is worse than death, and we must never do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

So Milo mentioned the James Rolfe incident briefly during a long, incoherent mess of an article and that is somehow James' fault? I'm not seeing the connection here. This wouldn't be the first time Milo hijacked a legitimate concern to add weight to whatever nonsensical claim he's spouting this week.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oh come on, that's a given by this point. Also that's more the fault of a bunch of right-wing lunatics being, well that, than just the movie itself, hence why I said "The worst thing that dumb movie did" rather than something like "The worst thing that happened around that dumb movie", which in that case would be the gangs of crazy people that poo poo themselves inside-out over women being ghostbusters. Also you're still trying to downplay a completely innocent lady getting jumped on by another band of assholes.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Admitting RLM can make a single bad move is worse than death, and we must never do it.

And I already said the 'Plinkett has a creepy dungeon basement' parts of the original prequel videos are bad/dumb and worth skipping. :shrug:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 25, 2016

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Say, did you have a crummy christmas eve due to shaky family ordeals and want something to sink around an hour or so?

Kim Justice made a righteous Christmas Special just right for that!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I hope this is going to be like the time noted forums crybaby JB50 ran to tell GBS the SJWs were being mean and then GBS goons spammed the thread with transphobic slurs until it stopped

i am so glad that exactly the kind of person i was referring to made exactly the kind of post i was referring to so quickly.

you don't like what i have to say so it means equating me with transphobic shitheads and morons who cry about sjws.

this poo poo right here accomplishes loving nothing. loving stop, for the love of god just loving stop.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You don't understand, the RLM people are now part of The Enemy. Either you're with us or against us.

Only a goon deals in absolutes

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Maybe it is possible that both Rolfe is OK and that shithead misogynists seeking to validate their shithead opinions used his video as validation?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

You of all people cannot make this joke

I think that most internet critics are at best amateurish and that they help perpetuate a culture of flawed critical discussion.

I don't think that they're bad people for that or that they should go up against the wall when the Revolution comes. I'm full of nuanced opinions like that. There are bad critics, authors, books, movies, etc out there, but there are plenty of worse things in the world. Guy Gavriel Kay might be a hack, for example, but he seems like a cool guy and I'd love to meet him. RLM is bad in some ways but there's no reason to paint them as closet fascists. Performative hatred is dumb.

In other topics, Matthewmatosis has some new, shorter reviews, like a comparison that came out a week ago between Papers, Please, and some thing callled VA11 Hall-A.

e: lol, that game has a strangely and lovingly exhaustive Wiki page.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 26, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I cant believe Lindsay didn't include Santa Summer House in her Santa Claus retrospective.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Lindsey also put up a Loose Cannon on Santa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICfD1lACsm4

Also, Dan from Extra Credits has put out a bunch of videos on stuff to watch on Youtube before going on break for the holidays.

Video Game channels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjGTQrsUOKM
Movie channels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJRk8F7VM-4
Brain Food Channels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnVXMoCNPMg

I also re-watched NCG's video on the Postal series and god I love that last line of his whole essay. "Don't be surprised if most people wanna save the world, instead of flipping it off."

And in general, Merry Christmas guys. I love arguing over youtube people with you all.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I watched a couple of Extra Credits videos once, they were a little dumb but fine for film/video games/artsy shite studies foundation stuff.

I started actively ignoring them after a friend of mine told me he decided to never play any God Of War game ever again because Extra Credits convinced him that GoW3 ruined everything forever and it took ages for me to talk him back into not behaving like a big silly baby and that it was okay to like the games he likes regardless of whether a cartoon idiot on the internet said some dumb things once.

I spent a fortune on alcohol to enhance those highly intellectual discussions and I had to play that bloody idiot video several times. But I did it because I like my friend. Also I like booze and dumb drunken discussions over video games.

Anyway, what I'm asking is are the Extra Credits people still level-1 access to cultural studies stuffs, or are they even bigger raging morons now?

e: I:love:U2 argumentative bastards thread :)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

It gets into cultural critique now and then, but it's more focused on game design.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They've split off a couple of other series since that God Of War video. Their main series is still intro to game design 1000, but they also have Extra History for survey course style overviews of interesting people and events. There is also Extra Play and Extra Frames, which are their LP series and Dan's focus on game animation during let's plays.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bakeneko posted:

This wouldn't be the first time Milo hijacked a legitimate concern to add weight to whatever nonsensical claim he's spouting this week.

:lol: @ anything Milo's ever hijacked being "legitimate" concerns :newlol:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cubey posted:

it's because there is a subset of people on the internet who go out of their way to try and be offended, whether it's because they disagree with someone and wants to belittle their opinions through ad hominem or just want to prove how not racist/sexist/etc. they are. it's the kind of bullshit that makes people roll their eyes whenever the word 'tumblr' get brought up because it conjures up images of these insufferable shitbags who try so fuckin hard to be offended by anything someone says.

it is asinine and it makes this thread completely loving unreadable. please stop.

Deport The Irish posted:

This is some serious projection.

Yardbomb posted:

So do clarify that you're cheerleading people harassing James Rolfe and his 100% uninvolved wife, because he made a calm video saying "I'm not gonna watch the new Ghostbusters because I love the old ones too much" after people constantly asked him if he was gonna make a video about the new one, cause that's what you're implying.

From my perspective, you have James Rolfe making a video where he says that he refuses to see the new Ghostbusters film. I think that's it's a little unfair of him to judge the film without seeing it, but whatever; if he doesn't want to see it, that fine. Meanwhile, tons of people start berating him for being a raging misogynistic manchild (despite the fact that the video he made was really mellow), with one person calling his wife a 'gold-digger'. James didn't respond to it, he just made the Paperboy AVGN episode and moved on like nothing had happened.

On the flipside, you have someone like Devin Faraci, who wrote an about James' video and the sexism towards the film. Later, though, somebody dug through his Twitter history and found a bunch of terrible stuff he had said, and a while after that, he stepped down as editor from Birth-Movies-Death after several women came forward with sexual assault allegations.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 25, 2016

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

:lol: @ anything Milo's ever hijacked being "legitimate" concerns :newlol:

Well I don't know for sure if Milo himself took part in this but I know his cronies in the alt-right love to exploit real tragedies as a way of pushing their agenda. For example, they might talk about the terror attacks that have been happening in Europe, then follow that up with "...therefore, we clearly have to ban immigration."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Guys guys guys! Let's take a cue from SFDebris' Christmas episode and bond over the true meaning of Christmas: That Gene Rodenberry was kind of an rear end in a top hat. Man took making GBS threads on Walter Koenig into an art form.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Guys guys guys! Let's take a cue from SFDebris' Christmas episode and bond over the true meaning of Christmas: That Gene Rodenberry was kind of an rear end in a top hat. Man took making GBS threads on Walter Koenig into an art form.

I just want someone to point out to Keniclius that he's too big to fit on anyone else's space stations or ships.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
A review of a film no-one remembers in which JonTron cosplays as Jamie Lee Curtis for literally 5 of the greatest seconds of his career so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTDpiDH7b4

e: also the closing moments are pretty fun too. Maybe. If you like that kind of thing...

KayTee fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 26, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm revisiting the Phelous Christmas specials, and they're so good. :allears:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
So it's that time again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ELscUeY-Y

(yay! :D )

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

An unexpected but deserving #1

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I can understand why James Rolfe didn't see Ghostbusters, I guess he's busy with his work and his family and private life to take time out to go to the cinema and see a movie he wasn't that fussed about. It's not that bad, more like an extended Saturday Live Sketch based on Ghostbusters. I hope he changes his mind and checks it on home video, since it'd be interesting to hear his take on it.

Yeah, his vlog title was click baity, but I can understand his reasoning for not taking the time to see it, and he didn't assume it would be bad, just that he wouldn't like it enough to make time to see it, because he'd be comparing to the original too much to enjoy it, which is an acceptable reason.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mr. Plinkett Talks About Rogue One.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Two minutes and nine seconds until "likable".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Man some people really have a hard time getting over that RLM does not like mediocre films.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

OldMemes posted:

I can understand why James Rolfe didn't see Ghostbusters, I guess he's busy with his work and his family and private life to take time out to go to the cinema and see a movie he wasn't that fussed about. It's not that bad, more like an extended Saturday Live Sketch based on Ghostbusters. I hope he changes his mind and checks it on home video, since it'd be interesting to hear his take on it.

Yeah, his vlog title was click baity, but I can understand his reasoning for not taking the time to see it, and he didn't assume it would be bad, just that he wouldn't like it enough to make time to see it, because he'd be comparing to the original too much to enjoy it, which is an acceptable reason.

Yeah pretty much to the whole post. I don't mean to keep dragging this whole bit along, but I really don't get how anyone got what a bunch of them did from that whole situation, unless they really did only look at the title and go apeshit crazy at the mere face value there. The whole run-time of the video is this nerdy dude sat down in front of the camera, calmly explaining himself in a nice tone pretty clearly, even specifically saying it's not one bit because of any of the dumb hubbub that's been around the movie. It was just some hack internet journalists desperate to drag a guy through the mud for attention as far as I could see.

But somehow that translates to man furious about new movie because hateful sexist :shrug:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 26, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah pretty much to the whole post. I don't mean to keep dragging this whole bit along, but I really don't get how anyone got what a bunch of them did from that whole situation, unless they really did just look at the title and go apeshit crazy at the mere face value there. The whole run-time of the video is this nerdy dude sat down in front of the camera, calmly explaining himself in a nice tone pretty clearly, even specifically saying it's not one bit because of any of the dumb hubbub that's been around the movie.

But somehow that translates to man furious about new movie because hateful sexist :shrug:

A whole lot of people seem to have not watched the video, just saw "Dude doesn't like Ghostbusters" posted in a context of either "YEAH SEE WE'RE RIGHT BECAUSE THE MOVIE IS BAD (BECAUSE WOMZ)" or "LOOK AT ALL THESE MISOGYNISTS" and rolled with it.

Man, these shitstorms keep forming around stuff that doesn't deserve that level of attention.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MiddleOne posted:

Man some people really have a hard time getting over that RLM does not like mediocre films.

Some will not heed the words of the prophets

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
god, he's 30ish and have a kid. not everyone have time to watch movies anymore. :(

well he was also doing monster madness but anyway

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
He sounded very smug in the video about not going to watch that movie.

IIRC he doesn't mention anything about the Ghostbusters being girls this time and, given the current context on the internet, it feels very disingenuous. Did anyone ever press him about it?

With that said, I don't (want to) think the guy is a bad person, but it's still a dumb video.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah pretty much to the whole post. I don't mean to keep dragging this whole bit along, but I really don't get how anyone got what a bunch of them did from that whole situation, unless they really did only look at the title and go apeshit crazy at the mere face value there. The whole run-time of the video is this nerdy dude sat down in front of the camera, calmly explaining himself in a nice tone pretty clearly, even specifically saying it's not one bit because of any of the dumb hubbub that's been around the movie. It was just some hack internet journalists desperate to drag a guy through the mud for attention as far as I could see.

The worst bit is when they went after his wife. The dude is a raging sexist so let me act like a raging sexist myself saying she's a gold digging harlot. I hope these dipshits realize that stuff like this doesn't help people with legitimate grievances and problems (they don't because they score brownie point for being "one of the good ones"). One of the previous videos he posted before that Ghostbusters one was him on the verge of crying because he went into details of how his daughter had it kind of rough and thanks to the kindness and dedication of the doctors and nurses involved helping her through it, he was doing a charity thing for an organization that specific dealt with the problem his daughter had. Clearly he's a model sexist monster with a god digging wife. Welp, my job here is done. Time for the next non-issue to be outraged over for easy good person points!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jim made a new poo poo games of year vid.

Steam won handedly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jimbot posted:

The worst bit is when they went after his wife. The dude is a raging sexist so let me act like a raging sexist myself saying she's a gold digging harlot. I hope these dipshits realize that stuff like this doesn't help people with legitimate grievances and problems (they don't because they score brownie point for being "one of the good ones"). One of the previous videos he posted before that Ghostbusters one was him on the verge of crying because he went into details of how his daughter had it kind of rough and thanks to the kindness and dedication of the doctors and nurses involved helping her through it, he was doing a charity thing for an organization that specific dealt with the problem his daughter had. Clearly he's a model sexist monster with a god digging wife. Welp, my job here is done. Time for the next non-issue to be outraged over for easy good person points!

I still can't believe Crooked Hillary had the gall to call Trump voters deplorables

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I still can't believe Crooked Hillary had the gall to call Trump voters deplorables

You never did explain why you're okay with people jumping on an innocent lady.

Also I still don't know what you're sperging about with things like this.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

If anyone's criticism is at all similar to the arguments of assholes, then that person becomes an rear end in a top hat by extension, with all the beliefs that come with it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yardbomb posted:

I don't know why you're okay with Crooked Hillary slandering Trump's followers as "deplorables"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Forget about Ghostbusters, did Snob ever get around to watching the Dogfucker remake?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Puppy Time posted:

If anyone's criticism is at all similar to the arguments of assholes, then that person becomes an rear end in a top hat by extension, with all the beliefs that come with it.

We need to harshly condemn the liberals who think cruelly verbally attacking Ivanka on that plane was okay, and it's completely unfair to assume that all Trump supporters are deplorable racists just for voting for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

We need to harshly condemn the liberals who think cruelly verbally attacking Ivanka on that plane was okay, and it's completely unfair to assume that all Trump supporters are deplorable racists just for voting for Trump.

So are you interested in advancing the discussion or are you happy to just continue talking to yourself? In the former case, you could start by explaining what the presidential candidates have to do with any of this. Remember: we were talking about internet critics. I understand that you probably have a big conspiracy wall set up somewhere in your basement with pictures of Clinton and Trump as well as James Rolfe and a bunch of other people connected to one another with different-colored string, but we can’t see that from where we are so you’ll have to fill in the details for us.

• Locked thread