Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Most turn based RPGs would be better played at 125% to 150% speed. I’m trying it with Pokémon Ultra Moon, having slugged through Pokémon Moon on my 2DS, and god it’s so much more tolerable. Too many games are bogged down with slow animation and text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Most turn based RPGs would be better played at 125% to 150% speed. I’m trying it with Pokémon Ultra Moon, having slugged through Pokémon Moon on my 2DS, and god it’s so much more tolerable. Too many games are bogged down with slow animation and text.

its also because you're an adult playing a pokemon game, an introductory rpg for children under 10

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

sekiro is good so far, i like it a lot

Looks like an absolute Dark Souls clone but if that's your jam then go for it

The giant snake is pretty boss

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

its also because you're an adult playing a pokemon game, an introductory rpg for children under 10

Whoa get a look at this edgy motherfucker y'all

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

real men play dungeon crawl stone soup

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Whoa get a look at this edgy motherfucker y'all

Edgy? It’s objectively true. It’s fine to like it, but it’s true.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Video games are for children. All of them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's more about racing in to proclaim "maybe play a game for adults if you want faster battle animation speeds :smuggo:"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Edgy? It’s objectively true. It’s fine to like it, but it’s true.

i mean, i played the first two pokemon games, but then when i got a little older i moved on because they are too easy and slow once you are older than maybe 12

the games are slow because kids are slower to understand and read things and thats the target audience, stop getting butthurt old men

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Looks like an absolute Dark Souls clone but if that's your jam then go for it

The giant snake is pretty boss

It's a Dark Souls sequel

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I think you mean Japanese games because I don't think I've ever had this problem with the majority of turn-based games, only Japanese ones because Japanese developers haven't invented playability yet.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Caesar Saladin posted:

i mean, i played the first two pokemon games, but then when i got a little older i moved on because they are too easy and slow once you are older than maybe 12

the games are slow because kids are slower to understand and read things and thats the target audience, stop getting butthurt old men

You should reread my reply. I was agreeing with you.

I also agree with this comment that I am quoting right now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think you mean Japanese games because I don't think I've ever had this problem with the majority of turn-based games, only Japanese ones because Japanese developers haven't invented playability yet.

I recall a goon managed to speed up Diamond/Pearl's gameplay significantly by trimming letters in battle dialogue. Platinum in particular was considerably faster than what's considered the slowest Pokemon games in the series.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

You should reread my reply. I was agreeing with you.

I also agree with this comment that I am quoting right now.

naw i was just piling on to your agreement and adding to it

also another good point is that pokemon is a children's tv show

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I recall a goon managed to speed up Diamond/Pearl's gameplay significantly by trimming letters in battle dialogue. Platinum in particular was considerably faster than what's considered the slowest Pokemon games in the series.

I'm too old to have ever played a Pokemon game but that's cool I guess?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

There’s actually a lot of depth and chess-like decision making in competitive Pokémon that I think often gets overlooked. The base game is mainly a slog but the competitive aspect seems pretty neat. I watch PokeMonday Night Combat and I had no clue that there was so much meta gaming involved.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

2house2fly posted:

It's a Dark Souls sequel

I guess that's why everything looks really cool except the gameplay, which is the same utterly banal Dark Souls roll-dodge spam.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I guess that's why everything looks really cool except the gameplay, which is the same utterly banal Dark Souls roll-dodge spam.

but there's a grappling hook

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

broke: Dark Souls, but the regular enemies don't respawn every time you rest, so you can actually explore and enjoy the scenery and poo poo

woke: Dark Souls, but there's a bunch of half-assed stealth bullshit and a grappling hook, so you can spend 5 minutes going around the respawning enemies instead of 5 minutes fighting them again

bespoke: you just don't get Dark Souls, man

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
sekiro is actually a tenchu sequel fyi which is also why it owns

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

broke: Dark Souls, but the regular enemies don't respawn every time you rest, so you can actually explore and enjoy the scenery and poo poo

woke: Dark Souls, but there's a bunch of half-assed stealth bullshit and a grappling hook, so you can spend 5 minutes going around the respawning enemies instead of 5 minutes fighting them again

bespoke: you just don't get Dark Souls, man

toke: ダークソルプレイア

Das Butterbrot posted:

sekiro is actually a tenchu sequel fyi which is also why it owns

i was told Sekiro isn't a tenchu game. is this incorrect

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
idk, it hits the spot for me.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

toke: ダークソルプレイア

i was told Sekiro isn't a tenchu game. is this incorrect

It's not a tenchu game.

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

that word is "pygmy"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

still better than literally every other game you can play on your phone

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

I can play sudoku on my phone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

wrong
https://github.com/mehtank/androminion

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Rage was an amazing engine and fantastic gameplay hampered by shallow repetitive level design and a weak-rear end story. Game came out 8 years ago and still looks and plays better than most other FPSes since. Rage 2 is going to be loving awesome.

Rage 2 is a recycled Mad Max open world game by a different developer. It has pretty much nothing to do with Rage 1 (which is a positive in my book, considering how terrible Rage 1 was).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So many loving video games are imitations of imitations of imitations of what the devs actually want to be making but don't have the license to

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

basic hitler posted:

you can't see much past 70 or so frames bud you're not an uebermensch

You absolutely can. The difference in the amount of flicker was very obvious back in the CRT days.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lambert posted:

Rage 2 is a recycled Mad Max open world game by a different developer. It has pretty much nothing to do with Rage 1 (which is a positive in my book, considering how terrible Rage 1 was).

I mean Rage 1 was basically a Mad Max open world game, just the world was tiny. All they need to do is make the map bigger and move the gunfighting from "5 recycled corridor levels oh but now do them BACKWARDS!" to the entire map and they've got a great game.

Mad Max was also a severely underrated game, if you haven't played it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

hawowanlawow posted:

Why is your "thing" defending Pokemon by favorably comparing it to utter garbage?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
God drat Sekiro owns. It makes Nioh look like total trash

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Disagree

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It owns!

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you came in expecting or being pleasantly surprised about it being Tenchu, it's like a 8.5. If you wanted Souls-games it's barely a 7. It feels so barebones with so little opportunity for customization.

The jump stealth-kill on the dogs looks mad retarded too. Let me willingly roll on the ground with this animal whose weapons are all in its face when I could just jump down and stab it through the back. Feels lazy and recycled.

If you've got a boner for parrying/deflecting/timing based stuff then Sekiro is definitely for you. Be sure to bolster your L1 button because you will be spamming it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Why is your "thing" defending Pokemon by favorably comparing it to utter garbage?

my "thing" of two posts? settle down, Beavis

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

tuo posted:

It owns!

It does own but Sekiro and Nioh are very different games and they do different things well that the other game doesn't even touch

Like if you think Sekiro makes Nioh look like trash, you just didn't like what Nioh was to begin with imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nioh has really great combat, but the most annoying loot system ever and it starts to feel way too copy/paste after a while. Also it never sat well with me just how much they ripped off Dark Souls. I think they could have done more to make it stand out as their own thing.