Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sorry for turning this into Stargate command, but I am genuinely hopeful other goons have a good time with that show. The season one-two parter finale is amazing, and you get the time loop episode too.

It isn't like Babylon Five wanted to be, but I don't think anyone will be disappointed if they want good goofy science fiction. Also, the show has Don Davis! Who doesn't love Don Davis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My favorite thing re: Stargate, both SG-1 and Atlantis, is that it's not afraid to take a moment or an episode to be a workplace comedy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rappaport posted:

I'm sure my opinion doesn't count for much, but Teal'c and Jack interacting is mostly comedy gold. Also you get an episode with a very spoopy thriller about Teal'c.

What I am telling you is that Stargate is fantastic.

Indeed.

Phenotype posted:

It's also... dated. The first or second episode has Jack Stargate talking about the mission, and he's like "I'm not gonna be in charge?? What man could possibly do a better job??" and of course lol it's a woman! tried to watch it about five years back and it just never grabbed me, too much old 90s jank imo.

Sam and Jack become a lot less... that. Initially it is pretty grating, though. Wow. Sam is a woman?!? Golly!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's exclusively in the pilot, and even Amanda Tapping in a behind-the-scenes interview said it was a lovely way to write a character that they fixed immediately afterwards.

Yes, this.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brawnfire posted:

My favorite thing re: Stargate, both SG-1 and Atlantis, is that it's not afraid to take a moment or an episode to be a workplace comedy.

Especially tealc and ronan trying to out stoic each other

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Winifred Madgers posted:

I had always for some reason thought of Stargate as like a Hercules/Xena-tier show, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I did watch it, it's legit.

Hercules and Xena were awesome though, if pulpy. Just ignore Kevin Sorbo's politics.

There is a line of late 90s/early 2000s action adventure sprinkled into Orville and that's ok, I love that feeling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Christopher Judge as Teal'c is hands-down one of the funniest characters in 2000's-era television.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Christopher Judge as Teal'c is hands-down one of the funniest characters in 2000's-era television.

Indeed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Adding a +1 to watch Stargate.

Start with the movie even. It's good and the show picks right up from there with surprisingly few changes.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I could never get past it going from Kurt Russell and James Spader to some rando US TV dweebs so never bothered. My mom really liked it though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I saw the show first and the movie always feels so wrong lol.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Khanstant posted:

I saw the show first and the movie always feels so wrong lol.

Same. I was surprised how much of the movie is in the show when I finally watched it though.

Sentinel Red posted:

I could never get past it going from Kurt Russell and James Spader to some rando US TV dweebs so never bothered. My mom really liked it though.

Richard Dean Anderson's take is much more enjoyable to watch than Russell (it was fine for a two hour movie but having a sense of humor works better in a multi-season show) and Shanks is doing a pretty fun Spader impression early on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

For SG-1 chat, I'll just leave this right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8&t=6s

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's not even the same characters! Kurt was Jack O'Neil, RDA was Jack O'Neill. Two L's.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The events of the movie happen in the SG-1 universe almost exactly as shown, but the movie itself likely take place in one of the alternate universes you can go to with that mirror thing to account for the different faces.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I haven't seen the movie in a long time (since it originally released, even) but I remember Daniel Jackson as portrayed by James Spader being the likable protagonist and Jack O'Neil as portrayed by Kurt Russel being a jacked up meathead rear end in a top hat and basically an antagonist. But I'm the series Jack O'Neill (TWO Ls!) as portrayed by Richard Dean Anderson is very much a likable plucky protagonist and his ribbing of Daniel Jackson doesn't feel like bullying anymore, but brotherly. And Daniel Jackson remains likable as well.

And how can you not like Richard Dean Anderson.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Same. I was surprised how much of the movie is in the show when I finally watched it though.

Yeah it's probably one of those most smooth and consistent movie-to-show shifts, despite basically everyone being swapped out. I cant think of a smoother one. There's stuff like Buffy where the show is so much better I try not to even remember there was a movie, not a smooth transition of applicable at all?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I haven't seen the movie in a long time (since it originally released, even) but I remember Daniel Jackson as portrayed by James Spader being the likable protagonist and Jack O'Neil as portrayed by Kurt Russel being a jacked up meathead rear end in a top hat and basically an antagonist. But I'm the series Jack O'Neill (TWO Ls!) as portrayed by Richard Dean Anderson is very much a likable plucky protagonist and his ribbing of Daniel Jackson doesn't feel like bullying anymore, but brotherly. And Daniel Jackson remains likable as well.

Even then it all works together (in a shorthand Hollywood sort of way.)

Jack in the movie wanted to kill himself destroying the gate due to how depressed he was about his son's accidental death (from his own pistol). The events in the movie pulled him out of his depression, but it's still a defining part of his backstory that gets referenced. They just changed his son's name from Taylor to Charlie.

The biggest change from the movie is Ra is depicted as being an energy like being that possesses a body rather than the worm like parasites they are in the series.

It is cool that both Skaara and Kasuf actors got to reprise their roles.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 17, 2024

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

They just changed his son's name from Taylor to Charlie.

This is the proof it's a different universe, like the fish in the pond.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I liked the scene that played with the spelling change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUhU3qCf0Nk

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The shows are fun, but they don't have French Stewart bullying James Spader.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Incoming message from your big, giant head! *slaps Daniel Jackson's forehead* You're a fuckin' dipshit!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The main reason Stargate was so good is because O'Neill MacGyvered it. Complete success.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Inkspot posted:

The shows are fun, but they don't have French Stewart bullying James Spader.

I totally forgot he was in that movie. It's like Jared Keeso, when he doesn't squint and stand all weird he's a whole different person.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The first few seasons of SG1 are best compared to 60s Star Trek. Depending on which bits you focus on it can be portrayed as a serious military themed drama, or a cartoonish comedy romp through space.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

how could you forget sex symbol james spader from the hit erotic thriller dream lover

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

mllaneza posted:

For SG-1 chat, I'll just leave this right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8&t=6s
As someone who doesn't like military stuff this seems... bad? I'm not going to like a show that smugly talks about how cool guns are. Am I not going to like SG-1?

I only ask 'cause I love a bunch of other sci-fi shows from the era and most of what people are saying about it sounds pretty good. But I also gather it's about contemporary soldiers and the military and based on that clip, it seems to think they're cool.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's not a show that smugly talks about how cool guns are, no.

The Stargate program is run by the Air Force so the Earth characters are largely military, but it's a sci-fi show about fighting aliens and stuff.

The military hierarchy above our heroes and the US government are antagonists more than a few times. Which, again, isn't what the show is about but occasionally there is some bullshit on Earth to deal with.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 18, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I forgot to link earlier, the SG-1 thread proper is pretty active lately.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4036654

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Eiba posted:

As someone who doesn't like military stuff this seems... bad? I'm not going to like a show that smugly talks about how cool guns are. Am I not going to like SG-1?

I only ask 'cause I love a bunch of other sci-fi shows from the era and most of what people are saying about it sounds pretty good. But I also gather it's about contemporary soldiers and the military and based on that clip, it seems to think they're cool.

They've been dealing with aliens telling them how primitive earth technology is for a long time at this point even though promoting earth technology always seems to save their butts. O'Neill 's point is more that his guns are not cool. An energy staff is cool. His weapon is a tool for killing. The episode it's from is about his disapproval of a leader using his strong personality to get people to go on suicide missions for him.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the whole "lol staffs are actually janky garbage" thing definitely feels like a retcon though, like a staff bolt easily one-shots any goauld henchman any time, meanwhile there were multiple fights in the early seasons where they might have to shoot a whole magazine of bullets at one just to take him down

like you'd think the pro move would be grabbing a few of the staffs* and re-tooling them to be more ergonomic

not to mention "oh our earth guns are so superior" *runs around with the goof-rear end zat guns half the time*

*not calling them staves, deal with it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what i thought was funny when i sat down and watched the show a few years ago was how folks will carry on endlessly about "oh all the planets look like british columbia" but never mention how many scenes are set in the drat infirmary

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Yeah, the staff presumably shoots perfectly straight. Figure out how to shoulder mount it and give it a sight if the accuracy of a gun is such a game changer

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not a show that smugly talks about how cool guns are, no.

The Stargate program is run by the Air Force so the Earth characters are largely military, but it's a sci-fi show about fighting aliens and stuff.

The military hierarchy above our heroes and the US government are antagonists more than a few times. Which, again, isn't what the show is about but occasionally there is some bullshit on Earth to deal with.

There's that episode where The Bad General is clearly an antagonist, and he forces Sam to make a doomsday device, but as the show portrays them, you're meant to take General Hammond as a good guy, and even loving Mayborne is a lovable scamp. He even helps Jack with the rear end in a top hat senator.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's an unpopular opinion but I watched all of SG1 really recently and O'Neill grated on me. Constantly going (the equivalent of) SLOW DOWN POINDEXTER and being overly flippant in episodes that were meant to be serious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Senor Tron posted:

The first few seasons of SG1 are best compared to 60s Star Trek. Depending on which bits you focus on it can be portrayed as a serious military themed drama, or a cartoonish comedy romp through space.

Season 1 is pretty transparently "Star Trek Away Mission of The Week" in its format, it's season 2 onwards you get the more long-form story arcs interweaving the plots.

T.C. posted:

Yeah, the staff presumably shoots perfectly straight. Figure out how to shoulder mount it and give it a sight if the accuracy of a gun is such a game changer

Id' say the "reason" is it probably has some recoil and it's heavy (you need to hit people with it as well, remember). So you have to balance the drat thing, account for the kick of it on your shoulder, and resight after each shot.

If you want an actual retcon, the three-shot monty rule of the Zat guns (Stun->Kill->Vaporize) gets dropped completely after a few seasons, mainly because "How long is too long between shots?" was a nuisance question iirc.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Regarding "guns are cool", they don't come back to it much in the show, but our first introduction to O'Neil in the movie is learning how broken he is in the wake of his kid having accidentally killed himself with one of his guns.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 1 is pretty transparently "Star Trek Away Mission of The Week" in its format, it's season 2 onwards you get the more long-form story arcs interweaving the plots.

Id' say the "reason" is it probably has some recoil and it's heavy (you need to hit people with it as well, remember). So you have to balance the drat thing, account for the kick of it on your shoulder, and resight after each shot.

If you want an actual retcon, the three-shot monty rule of the Zat guns (Stun->Kill->Vaporize) gets dropped completely after a few seasons, mainly because "How long is too long between shots?" was a nuisance question iirc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGFz3X8PqKM

Because the actors hated them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

It's an unpopular opinion but I watched all of SG1 really recently and O'Neill grated on me. Constantly going (the equivalent of) SLOW DOWN POINDEXTER and being overly flippant in episodes that were meant to be serious.

Is this like when people get mad at people in Joss Whedon media when they talk like a human being?

Jokes are fine, and I'm hardly alone in this. All kidding aside, there are dozens of us! Dozens.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Is this like when people get mad at people in Joss Whedon media when they talk like a human being?

Jokes are fine, and I'm hardly alone in this. All kidding aside, there are dozens of us! Dozens.

I was watching the original Suicide Squad film the other day (the 1935 talkie about firemen) and it was quippy as gently caress, those jokesters never stopped cracking wise

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Jokes are fine. It's more when something serious is happening and he does something that not just breaks the tension but breaks the suspension of disbelief.
A good example is when they find the place where Apophis has a load of people training to infiltrate the SGC and he does a little speech that's just a weird joke - it makes what was sort of a tense episode lose the realism it had.