Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If the weld breaks, there's still two other wheels they can roll on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Ugly welds can be plenty strong. There's no way to tell from those photos how much penetration they've got or anything like that. You calling their welding abilities into question?

Geometry, on the other hand...

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Can you weld a couple pieces together then cut them in half to see if the metal is solid all the way through both pieces? It's hard to tell just by looking at these pictures, although MIG welding a single pass around pipe like this is something I find very difficult. It's not really the best process for it.

The geometry could use some work too on the triangulation. I am not sure what you think the braces are doing in the bends like that, but it's probably not what you think it is.

I don't know a lot about motorcycle side carts, but I think you might be in a little over your head here if this is meant for serious racing not just driving around in your back yard.

Just my two cents.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I just tried to find example of butt welded single pass MIG pipe as examples and I couldn't even find one. It's really not the right process for this sort of thing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
No you don't get it man... ugly welds can be strong!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

eggyolk posted:

Somebody rides around this awesome thing around Brooklyn all the time.

she's perfect.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I want to like this but for every one that gets 'finished' and ridden around there are like a thousand that get ruined and trashed or listed as 'project bikes' on CL for $$$$, many of which started out as perfectly viable runners before they were processed. Good on that guy for actually keeping it moving and here's hoping it's a genuine survivor and not a nice bike he acid washed and crap to get 'just the right patina' etc.

(gently caress hipsters for making me jaded)

That looks like natural rust after having stripped a bunch of paint off. So I think we can safely say it's from regular use.

eggyolk posted:

This bike has been in the same spot unsecured for months now in a city where bikes get stolen near constantly. A good guard cat.

e: or just a really awful bike
smart cat. He chose the bike least likely to be disturbed by thieves.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 19, 2012

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Ugly welds aside. The main thing I would be concerned about here is that neck. That poo poo is scary for a street bike let alone anything you would consider pushing to its limits.

You basically went from 1 or 2 failure points to having at least 3 or 4 points where that neck can fail. The only time I have seen goosenecks like that has been on weird show bikes that have no pretensions of being ride able bikes. In fact my roommates bike has a very mild gooseneck and it almost broke. That was from very normal riding and not anything approaching racing.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy hell this thing is nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IHrkCw8dZI

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jesus. It looks like you could 12 o'clock that thing by sneezing at an inopportune moment.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I didn't do the welding. I don't know poo poo about welding. I didn't design it, I don't know poo poo about designing sidecars. So far I swapped cylinders and laced the rear wheel. The other guys in the project have built multiple street sidecars before and decided on the shape based on reading articles and talking to other people who race vintage sidecars. As should be obvious in those photos, the frame is like 30-40% done. A significant number of bracing tubes are yet to be added, especially around the steering head. You guys are the least fun part of the internet. I'll be sure not to show you any of our t-shirts lest you be concerned over the strength of the weaving processes used!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Alright, enjoy your deathtrap I guess. Sorry!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'll be sure not to show you any of our t-shirts lest you be concerned over the strength of the weaving processes used!

Would you rather we be like every other bike forum on the internet and say HELL YA BRAH LETS SEE SOME WHEELIE PICS

Can you seriously look at those welds and say to yourself "Yeah, thats something I would take to the absolute limit at a racetrack with another human being in it"?

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt if its less than half done, but man, there is a reason you dont see that poo poo on actual race bikes.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you seriously look at those welds and say to yourself "Yeah, thats something I would take to the absolute limit at a racetrack with another human being in it"?

:smug: Yup.

But I also have plates in my face :(

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

there is a reason you dont see that poo poo on actual race bikes.

Seriously? Racing history is full of cludges and "improper" engineering. The legendary John Britten seriously hurt his test rider on the first V1000 when the first version of his carbon fiber front end just loving sheared under hard braking. Colin Chapman famously installed a sheet of card spray painted silver instead of a firewall on an F1 race car. Don't even get me started on guys like Burt Munroe.

Edit: Pictures for the Picture God

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 19, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Look at the frame on that thing. Yes it's bendy but it's not just filled with a bunch of rather sketchy looking welds. He used a pipe bender to shape the frame it appears. I don't know enough about welding to have any real opinion, but I think if you're going to race something you probably should...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I didn't do the welding. I don't know poo poo about welding. I didn't design it, I don't know poo poo about designing sidecars. So far I swapped cylinders and laced the rear wheel. The other guys in the project have built multiple street sidecars before and decided on the shape based on reading articles and talking to other people who race vintage sidecars. As should be obvious in those photos, the frame is like 30-40% done. A significant number of bracing tubes are yet to be added, especially around the steering head. You guys are the least fun part of the internet. I'll be sure not to show you any of our t-shirts lest you be concerned over the strength of the weaving processes used!

I'd tend to agree usually. However when a dude who lurks CA shows up and says the welds look sketchy and his avatar is a dude welding underwater, I might step back and consider his point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ReelBigLizard posted:

Seriously? Racing history is full of cludges and "improper" engineering. The legendary John Britten seriously hurt his test rider on the first V1000 when the first version of his carbon fiber front end just loving sheared under hard braking. Colin Chapman famously installed a sheet of card spray painted silver instead of a firewall on an F1 race car. Don't even get me started on guys like Burt Munroe.

Edit: Pictures for the Picture God

John Britten was forging new ground. Carbon fiber was a relatively new technology. A carbon fiber front end had never been done. There was no precedent set to know whether or not what they had done was "good".

Colin Chapman got lucky.

Burt Munroe is hardcore.

Welding a frame is not breaking some new ground. An old aircooled boxer is not some exotic piece of machinery that requires some outlandish never before tried fabrication solutions. I'm also impressed no one noticed the fork tubes bent backwards to be some sort of structural piece.

This argument is dumb. If you're taking something very obviously sketchy racing, especially with someone else onboard, then good luck, but dont say no one warned you.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Would you rather we be like every other bike forum on the internet and say HELL YA BRAH LETS SEE SOME WHEELIE PICS

I want to see some wheelie pics :/

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Actually, yeah, does anyone have any pics of hacks pulling wheelies?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ADINSX posted:

I want to see some wheelie pics :/

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
WHEELIES

Don't cross the wheels :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Speechless. This should be the CA wallpaper

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
And to think, this morning I was struggling with what I should do for the office secret santa...

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Want this full size in velvet so bad.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Wheelie with Virginia scenery.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah wheelies are cool, stoppies are cooler.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
You can actually see the poo poo stain rapidly forming in his pants.

Brad Pitt on some very uncomfortable looking cruiser.

I wonder what happens when a pebble shoots off that open primary.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am guessing it either bounces off onto the road or worst case scenario, dings his shin.

Actually I'm just joking, it will eat his pants and he will die in a fire.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What's the point of a 3/4 helmet with a full visor like that? Besides letting people know you're Brad Pitt.

I'll bet you can barely hang onto that thing when it takes off...looks like fuuuuun

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
They're very common? It feels significantly more open than a full face while doing a great job deflecting bugs and keeping eyes from watering. Add a mask, scarf or dickie and they're fine for winter too.

Most of the people I know IRL use a 3/4 with full visor like that. They all say they don't use a full face because it's too cramped/uncomfortable/suffocating/etc. The chin bar on a full face gets annoying by blocking the vertical peripheral vision enough to not notice the idiot lights on tank based instruments as well.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

3/4 helmets are nice if you want hardware in your face and soft food for the rest of your life: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2450912496/

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Where I live helmets aren't common.

Sounds like comfort is the only reason, and that just seems silly to me if you're already going to the trouble of having that much helmet on. The full face doesn't seem like that much more. Hell just get one of the flip-ups.

Vision issues are bullshit, I expect to hear that from the no helmet crowd.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

I still find stoppies terrifying and bottle out before i get up that high. I can roll them if I do them at higher speeds but the prospect of the repair bills for a fuckup put me off.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

nsaP posted:

What's the point of a 3/4 helmet with a full visor like that? Besides letting people know you're Brad Pitt.

I'll bet you can barely hang onto that thing when it takes off...looks like fuuuuun

That's his security team in the Suburban next to him lol.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was giving the dude the benefit of the doubt that he was just talking to a buddy on speaker phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/brad-pitts-new-shiny-orange-motorcycle.htm

Lol in his case it's for style for sure. Scooter? No gear. Street bike? Full face. Cruiser? 3/4. Fashion gear.

Edit: Bahah he even has a Ewan get up.