Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Why does a store page have a captcha before you can view the product? :psyduck:
I didn't get a captcha, but it might be to prevent prices from being automatically scraped for deals sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Gear-ish question. Does anyone know where to get one of those sweet folding trailers that harbor freight used to carry?

i was wondering this too, apparently HF recalled and pulled them because the tires in the kit were possibly not in DOT compliance

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Fifty Three posted:

I didn't get a captcha, but it might be to prevent prices from being automatically scraped for deals sites?

That makes sense, I know summit racing will put up a captcha when you're daydreaming on their website because they think you're a bot trying to index their site.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Gear-ish question. Does anyone know where to get one of those sweet folding trailers that harbor freight used to carry?

Razzled posted:

i was wondering this too, apparently HF recalled and pulled them because the tires in the kit were possibly not in DOT compliance

Northern tool has them for 389$, supposedly DOT compliant:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612544_200612544

They have an aluminum one as well that's about half the weight, but costs 599:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660343_200660343

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 10, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

I assume you mean deal sites like PriceRunner? I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to have your prices presented there since it's essentally free advertising.

Unless you're trying to build a reputation for being cheap when you're really not. (Looking at you, MediaMarkt.)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Skreemer posted:

Northern tool has them for 389$, supposedly DOT compliant:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612544_200612544

They have an aluminum one as well that's about half the weight, but costs 599:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660343_200660343

We abused the crap out of that aluminum one, eventually bending it badly enough that it dog-tracks pretty bad. Still holds weight, though.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I doubt anyone here knows because its pretty new to market, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. I just picked up a Scorpion EXO-R420 and it fits the top of my head really well, but the cheek pads are mushing my face in like crazy. I had an Icon Airmada that did the same thing and I fixed it by buying the cheek pads from the next helmet size up because the padding was thinner. I think it will work with this one as well but I don't know if the XL pads will fit in the size L helmet I have.

I guess the question is does anyone know how many shells are used on the scorpion exo-r420 and what sizes they correspond to?

Also as an aside I don't think this means the R420 is long oval, I think it means my head wasn't as narrow as I thought (My airmada was always a bit loose and was probably a size/half a size too big).

edit: VVV huh, how the hell did I miss that. thanks!

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 23, 2018

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

I guess the question is does anyone know how many shells are used on the scorpion exo-r420 and what sizes they correspond to?

Revzilla says two "2 shell sizes (XS-MD, LG-3XL)"

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

As Nero Danced posted:

I doubt anyone here knows because its pretty new to market, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. I just picked up a Scorpion EXO-R420 and it fits the top of my head really well, but the cheek pads are mushing my face in like crazy. I had an Icon Airmada that did the same thing and I fixed it by buying the cheek pads from the next helmet size up because the padding was thinner. I think it will work with this one as well but I don't know if the XL pads will fit in the size L helmet I have.

Also as an aside I don't think this means the R420 is long oval, I think it means my head wasn't as narrow as I thought (My airmada was always a bit loose and was probably a size/half a size too big).

I had a similar issue with my Neotec, and I fixed it by laying a few encyclopedias on the cheek pads for a few days.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Scorpion will also ship you thinner cheek pads for most models. I think they're often free. Call them directly about it.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/160-1925/motocentric-men-s-force-gray-black-jacket

Is this worth getting? MSRP is allegedly $200+ but I can't find any real reviews for it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've never heard of the brand. If you're trying to stay in the $50 to $100 range, I'd look for something used. You can probably find something that someone wore once or twice. Craigslist or ADVrider would be good places to start.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Is there a best-in-class value option for gauntlet gloves?

All my other kit for street riding is great, and feels like it'll last for years and take a bump, but my gloves were the first thing I bought, and they were $50 sedici something or others from cyclegear and they're fading fast, and they don't feel nearly as safe as I thought they felt when I bought them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Value includes how long the things last, IMO. Paying twice as much up front for gloves that last three times as long is a better deal.

I've got AlpineStars and Dainese gloves, and both are comfortable and feel safe. The Daineses are starting to blow out in one finger, while the A* are still going strong, but the Daineses are also older and I've worn them more. Hard to make a real comparison.

Anyway definitely stick with real brand-name ones. I've seen some videos of the no-name knockoff gauntlets on eBay and people are tearing them in half with their bare hands

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Take your pick of the litter of any of the premium brands. Personally I wear dainese carbon D1 longs and i used to have the knox handroids.

Handroids were a lot more armored but look stupid and are kinda heavy because of the gimmicky poo poo they put on the knuckles and back of the hand. D1 longs are comfortable but dont have much hard armor since it's carbon fiber armor.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Razzled posted:

Take your pick of the litter of any of the premium brands. Personally I wear dainese carbon D1 longs and i used to have the knox handroids.

Handroids were a lot more armored but look stupid and are kinda heavy because of the gimmicky poo poo they put on the knuckles and back of the hand. D1 longs are comfortable but dont have much hard armor since it's carbon fiber armor.

Thanks for the tips.

I think that

would be a lot safer than

The handroids look like overkill to me.

Sagebrush posted:

Value includes how long the things last, IMO. Paying twice as much up front for gloves that last three times as long is a better deal.

Anyway definitely stick with real brand-name ones. I've seen some videos of the no-name knockoff gauntlets on eBay and people are tearing them in half with their bare hands

Definitely not buying some $19 ETECKRACER REAL MOTORCYCLE GLOVE off aliexpress or what have you. Looking at big names, just don't want to spend $200 if $200 doesn't get me more glove than $100 will. I've done 2 low speed offs with my current gloves, and they're scuffed, but not torn, but it's time to replace them, because the single seams don't look like they'll take something at 45mph or higher when they popped a few at 20.

The reason I ask in general is that the A* SP-1's look good, but have a lot of stories of them blowing out in fingers/palms after just one season, and I'd prefer it to last longer if possible. So I didn't know if there was "____ $150 glove is the honda civic of bike gauntlet gloves" or something.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Knox recently released a new midrange gauntlet called Nexos, which appears to essentially be a long Orsa. If it's anything like as hard wearing it'll be well worth it, my Mk1 Orsas are three years old soon and only just starting to fray around the hard plastic bits (which the Nexos shouldn't suffer as they don't have the part in question). Goat leather breaks in to be super comfortable too.

I can see them going five years no trouble, which would put you at £26/year for gloves, so yeah, give those a look maybe.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I have had Dainese Druids for 2 years. I had to re-stitch one pad on a finger once, but they have held pretty well otherwise, including a couple of minor off road dumps. If I were to buy again, I would probably go overboard and get something like Held Titans though - anyone here tried those or anything similar?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Does anyone have recommendations for a rain suit? I've been using a cheap one for general use for the past year after my dog ate my good one designed for motorcycle use and this one just isn't cutting it. I'm not afraid to spend decent money on a good suit as long as I know it will last and will actually keep me dry in heavy rain. I've been looking around at options, but I thought this would be a good place to ask.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

spouse posted:

The handroids look like overkill to me.

I've had several seasons with zero issues on my A* SP2s. Love them, no seam problems.

Somebody here crashed in a pair of handroids and came out uninjured. Looked like the crash would have done major damage to a lesser glove. I think overkill is usually never a good term for safety gear, at least re: street riding. Too specialized or too expensive, though...

edit: it was Safety Dance

Safety Dance posted:

I wanted to take a minute to talk about Knox Handroids.

Knox Handroids rock. I wish I could have gotten a photo of my left glove, but I'll paint you a picture. As with every time I've dropped a bike, I went down on my left side. My left hand hit the ground first, and judging by the damage, I probably should have at least sprained a wrist if not broken bones. I remember sitting in the road, taking off my glove, and being flabberghasted that my hand didn't even hurt. The leather was torn up, the sliders were torn up, the scaphoid protector was torn up, heck, even the goofy plastic thing on the back of the pinky was torn up, but my hand was pristine.

I'm a software engineer, so my job involves typing fast and accurately. If you value your hands, get good gloves.

Safety Dance posted:

Couple of gear related notes:

This is my Knox Handroid following the crash. It took a lot of damage, but it held together brilliantly. 10/10 would buy again.

Not pictured, is my iPad mini. Remarkably, not only was it not stolen by the impound lot, but it was in my Giant Loop tank bag. The bag sat outside through several rain storms before my insurance could get my bike to a shop. The iPad stayed bone dry and powered up immediately. I am impressed.

drat, Safety Dance contributed a lot to this thread up until 2014.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 8, 2018

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Mushika posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a rain suit? I've been using a cheap one for general use for the past year after my dog ate my good one designed for motorcycle use and this one just isn't cutting it. I'm not afraid to spend decent money on a good suit as long as I know it will last and will actually keep me dry in heavy rain. I've been looking around at options, but I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I've had my Rev't Pacific 2 for a while now and have no complaints about it. Keeps me dry. It's hot when it's hot, no surprise there. The next step up seems like a pretty big jump in cost. You would get Gore-Tex, but it doesn't seem like Gore-Tex would be critical if you are only wearing it in the rain.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Mushika posted:

BMW prorain 3. I ride every day, and I’ve had mine for 2 years without any leak at all. You can probably get one cheap(er) on eBay. It’s bright yellow, which I think helps in rainy conditions.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've had several seasons with zero issues on my A* SP2s. Love them, no seam problems.

Somebody here crashed in a pair of handroids and came out uninjured. Looked like the crash would have done major damage to a lesser glove. I think overkill is usually never a good term for safety gear, at least re: street riding. Too specialized or too expensive, though...

yeah iirc he gave it up as soon as he had a hospital inducing crash, which was right around when i first started and had mine

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm in the market for a back protector. The insert pocket on my Tourmaster jacket is a lot narrower than most aftermarket inserts out there, so I figure I'll get a separate unit that straps on with a belt and shoulder straps. My budget is $160ish. Needs to be fairly slim and fit under my jacket and maybe a vest and liner.

For reference, this is the stock armor.
Looks like a dicknballs.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 13, 2018

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Just get a rukka/ klim d3o back insert and trim it with some scissors?

Unlike some other protectors d3o is safe to cut and trim as you want.

There are even guides if you are not handy.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I loving love my handroids. Don't own a bike currently, but I still think about how lovely those gloves molded to my hand's specific shape.

alr
May 14, 2009
It's dumb, but I have some Forcefield brand knee armour that reeks of rubber. I've tried soaking them with water and vinegar and the smell is slightly less but it's still really obvious, I can smell them through the pants if I'm sitting around the house. Anyone have any other ideas to get rid of the smell or is it just going to be something I put up with?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

alr posted:

It's dumb, but I have some Forcefield brand knee armour that reeks of rubber. I've tried soaking them with water and vinegar and the smell is slightly less but it's still really obvious, I can smell them through the pants if I'm sitting around the house. Anyone have any other ideas to get rid of the smell or is it just going to be something I put up with?

Stop sitting in them around the house and go ride.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if your riding style involves you sniffing your knees often i suggest you take a few classes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What cc is your couch?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Slavvy posted:

What cc is your couch?

Mailbox-cc

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 19, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You seem to have mistaken me for someone else.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alr posted:

Ride more. Motorcycles smell like gas and oil and rubber and exhaust and soot and dust and all kinds of other things all the time.

Put them outside in the sun for a week so all the volatile compounds vaporize and escape.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

You seem to have mistaken me for someone else.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There you go.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011

pokie posted:

I have had Dainese Druids for 2 years. I had to re-stitch one pad on a finger once, but they have held pretty well otherwise, including a couple of minor off road dumps. If I were to buy again, I would probably go overboard and get something like Held Titans though - anyone here tried those or anything similar?

I've crashed in Held Titans, A++ would crash again. The stingray leather did hold up as well as they say it would.

The only thing about them is they come with a little rubber windshield wiper blade thing on the side of a finger that was falling off within months. I'd just cut it off immediately if I bought them again.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

EkardNT posted:

I've crashed in Held Titans, A++ would crash again. The stingray leather did hold up as well as they say it would.

The only thing about them is they come with a little rubber windshield wiper blade thing on the side of a finger that was falling off within months. I'd just cut it off immediately if I bought them again.

Cool, thanks. I will likely get them once my gloves get more wear and tear.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Sagebrush posted:

Ride more. Motorcycles smell like gas and oil and rubber and exhaust and soot and dust and all kinds of other things all the time.

Put them outside in the sun for a week so all the volatile compounds vaporize and escape.

Nah man. Freedom. They smell like freedom.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Has anyone bought one of the Bell made-to-measure helmets? My current Schuberth leaves a very painful credit card sized impression on my forehead after an hour of riding. I tried on various Shoei and Arai models last weekend and they were all various flavors of painful.

If you have, did you need to do anything to start the process besides emailing them? I did so several days ago and haven't heard back from them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a dude with a big weird head I never knew this was a thing and now I’m intrigued.