Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I wouldn't say I've been missing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

metallicaeg posted:

Took a few days off work for my birthday and did one last cross-state trip to visit my parents with these hot rear end record setting temps. Uncle traded in his Striple S for a z900rs cafe. I told him when he eventually wants to trade it in I'll match any offers he gets.

Oof, this is rough because I'm currently torn between one of the new Striple Rs or one of these. I had a non-RS Z900 and got weird vibes in the seat / tank area in the midrange, did you feel any of that on the RS?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

This looks comfy AF

Dunno how FBS feels about it, but I find the stock seat torturous, especially for something that comes on a sport tourer. I can do maybe 90 minutes max before my rear end is screaming.

Tried the Yamaha comfort seat, it adds maybe 30 minutes to that. It barely feels different.

My wife feels the same as a passenger, we can both do drat near full day rides on the stock seat on the 919, but something about the FJR seats, whether its the shape or padding just doesn't jive with us.

I just got a decent deal on a used Sargent set, we're gonna try that next. I adore the bike otherwise, but I'd love to actually be able to use it for what I bought it for.

At least I can get my 90%+ of my money back when I sell the comfort seat and if/when I need to sell the Sargent if it doesn't work out. Last resort would be a full custom seat set from Lamm or Russell etc.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

To my butt the stock seat is pretty good, but I know I'm in the minority there and most FJR folks don't like it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

opengl posted:

Dunno how FBS feels about it, but I find the stock seat torturous, especially for something that comes on a sport tourer. I can do maybe 90 minutes max before my rear end is screaming.

Tried the Yamaha comfort seat, it adds maybe 30 minutes to that. It barely feels different.

My wife feels the same as a passenger, we can both do drat near full day rides on the stock seat on the 919, but something about the FJR seats, whether its the shape or padding just doesn't jive with us.

I just got a decent deal on a used Sargent set, we're gonna try that next. I adore the bike otherwise, but I'd love to actually be able to use it for what I bought it for.

At least I can get my 90%+ of my money back when I sell the comfort seat and if/when I need to sell the Sargent if it doesn't work out. Last resort would be a full custom seat set from Lamm or Russell etc.

I don't know that I would buy another one (ugly, heavy, expensive) but the Corbin seat I put on my FJR was immensely more comfortable for both my wife and me. Sargent makes good seats, hopefully that will solve the issue for you.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Springfield Fatts posted:

Oof, this is rough because I'm currently torn between one of the new Striple Rs or one of these. I had a non-RS Z900 and got weird vibes in the seat / tank area in the midrange, did you feel any of that on the RS?

I was on it for ~50 miles and all of that was absolutely just hooning around on it as well, so I can't say I was really at a point where I would have noticed such.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Jazzzzz posted:

what am I missing here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Nothing impresses me more than a big ol plush tractor seat.

Rocking up to some ol domesticated sasquatch that wrapped a couch wolf around his seat and giving the hail yeah and watching them decide whether to answer in English or their mother tongue of howls and grunts makes my day.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
tis the season for yellows, oranges, rgbs, antlers, and miscellaneous oil leaks.

look, i know it's november, idgaf, kringle poo poo has been out for 3 months now

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I did a trackday at COTA today with the very weird evangelical Christian trackday group.

Unironic Christian rock, and "Christian bike club members" aside it was a great day.

I really need to do more squats and flexibility stuff tho because my groin and knees are killing me after six sessions.

The Brembo RCS master cylinder, SV1K brakes, and EBC Doublr-H pads finally were all working properly and felt great. I was braking way too soon with how good this all felt.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I did a trackday at COTA today with the very weird evangelical Christian trackday group.

Didn't know this was a thing, lol. Texas stuff I guess.

MetaJew posted:

I really need to do more squats and flexibility stuff tho because my groin and knees are killing me after six sessions.

God this is the truth. After my first TD at actual pace I was legit hobbling around that evening, my legs were Spent.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah my quads are completely roasted the next day, sometimes 2-3 days. Think I need to get a better connection to the tank with my outside leg. Hopefully it will be easier on the CBR600RR.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah my quads are completely roasted the next day, sometimes 2-3 days. Think I need to get a better connection to the tank with my outside leg. Hopefully it will be easier on the CBR600RR.

Lol

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:shrug:

In my limited experience sportbike tanks are big and, along with the higher seat, are easier to hold on to. Unless there is something else in there you're lolling at :ohdear:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Did you get a 600RR? Someday I will take mine to a track, I'm still too scrub and haven't hit the limits of my Ninja 400. The only thing slowing me down still is me

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah, 2007. I wasn't planning on it but just how it worked out. A guy I have been going to the track with decided he needed a Panigale, so I bought his CBR600RR for 3.5k. It's not street legal (track fairing, no lights, etc.), and all the track days are done for the year, so I won't even be able to ride it until March :negative: I need to adjust the foot pedals, and I noticed there is a huge amount of slop in the shifter, so I need to get that fixed as well. I don't know if the little spindle clamp just isn't on properly or if it's a design flaw in the Vortex rear sets. Sato has a "brace" for the shifter so I wonder if just a problem with anything that isn't OEM, which comes up from below versus at an angle.

re: you holding yourself back, I think will always be true to a certain extent. I am definitely leaving time on the table in more than a few corners at the different tracks, but I feel OK moving onto something faster. I guess I'll see how I feel after my first day. As long as I am more than 10% faster I won't feel too embarrassed.

edit: spelling!!

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 7, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

:shrug:

In my limited experience sportbike tanks are big and, along with the higher seat, are easier to hold on to. Unless there is something else in there you're lolling at :ohdear:

It's definitely easier to hold onto if you restrict yourself to only using 30 of it's horsepower

Unfortunately the kinetic energy you have to deal with is.... substantially greater

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah, 2007. I wasn't planning on it but just how it worked out. A guy I have been going to the track with decided he needed a Panigale, so I bought his CBR600RR for 3.5k.
Nice, sounds like a good trackbike find. I'm wanting something track dedicated more and more, that might be the next thing I do with the 400 is just finally commit and replace the OEM fairings.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

opengl posted:

Didn't know this was a thing, lol. Texas stuff I guess.

God this is the truth. After my first TD at actual pace I was legit hobbling around that evening, my legs were Spent.

I usually ride with Ridesmart at COTA but their groups sell out faster or feel more crowded. This group I rode with yesterday is called 3:16 Trackdays. The crowd was generally friendly and helpful but it felt more crowded than the trackday I did with them last year. Regardless the weather was perfect and I had a good time.

But yeah, my legs are toast today. I'm hobbling everywhere and since I had to go into the office today, getting in and out of the Miata wasn't a pleasant experience.

I'm pretty good about gripping the tank with my outside leg, but (and maybe I'm doing something wrong here) you put a LOT of weight on the inside foot with your knee bent and it makes my knee and groin feel funny. Towards the end of one of the last sessions I could also feel my outside leg starting to tremble from how tight I was flexing my leg to grip the tank.

I've been looking up PT videos and exercises for what is called patellar tendonopathy and also looking at videos from the "Knees Over Toes Guy" to try and resolve the knee and leg instability I am experiencing. I think a big part of it is just having to work a goddamm deskjob and spending countless hours sitting.

Yada yada yada desk jobs and sedentary lifestyles suck for being fit for trackdays.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I saw this the other day that had some good tips for leg fatigue. I also found tank grips really help if you don't already have them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdbRXB9qkM

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

opengl posted:

I saw this the other day that had some good tips for leg fatigue. I also found tank grips really help if you don't already have them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdbRXB9qkM

Thanks for sharing that! This sounds like my technique needs some work, because I'm definitely getting too much weight or some torque on my inside knee that results in some pain by the end of the session. And some discomfort for a few days after.

The instructor from my pod sent me a video of him following me. I'm not terribly fast, but I had a fun time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3xdNlTA_g

One kind of funny note is towards the end of the day I was getting a bit more confident. I kept catching up to a person on a ZX14 and another guy on a Panigale at almost every corner. I would get the line to pass them on the exit, go wide-open-throttle, and then they'd just past me like I was standing still. Lol.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

MetaJew posted:

I usually ride with Ridesmart at COTA but their groups sell out faster or feel more crowded. This group I rode with yesterday is called 3:16 Trackdays.

I would show up in cutoff jorts, a beer helmet, and a super confused look on my face

Jokes aside that's a dope video, looks like a ton of fun. I give my dog dasuquin for her joints and sometimes I think about taking some for myself.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Shuka posted:

I would show up in cutoff jorts, a beer helmet, and a super confused look on my face

Jokes aside that's a dope video, looks like a ton of fun. I give my dog dasuquin for her joints and sometimes I think about taking some for myself.

I bought a big tub of Chondroitin from Costco. I should probably take it more regularly. I've also heard good things about eating lots of collagen. But, I think a lot of my leg and knee discomfort is just a mix of not being active enough, and probably bad technique per that video that opengl shared.

Aaaaalso, a novice/beginner spot just opened up for the Sunday trackday after thanksgiving. But the novice group is pretty slow even by my standards. I'm not sure I want to pay to just be frustrated.

I feel like I should be able to drag a knee by now... Just gotta go faster.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

MetaJew posted:

Thanks for sharing that! This sounds like my technique needs some work, because I'm definitely getting too much weight or some torque on my inside knee that results in some pain by the end of the session. And some discomfort for a few days after.

The instructor from my pod sent me a video of him following me. I'm not terribly fast, but I had a fun time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3xdNlTA_g

One kind of funny note is towards the end of the day I was getting a bit more confident. I kept catching up to a person on a ZX14 and another guy on a Panigale at almost every corner. I would get the line to pass them on the exit, go wide-open-throttle, and then they'd just past me like I was standing still. Lol.
Nice! There is nothing like getting out on a track with a bike, it's addicting. COTA looks like a blast, it's so huge and flowy (I've only done a couple small circuits)

Track days can really beat you up physically. It's a big motivation for me to try to exercise regularly. Squats and deadlifts especially as part of a workout really help with the core strength for me.

For body position, I can't quite tell where your feet are on the pegs from the video, but it looks like you may be able to get them back a bit more so you're on the balls of your feet and can pivot your knee out more. That and working on getting your upper body off, the goal is to have your head about where your mirrors would be when leaned off. Next one you do try to grab a coach and they can have you sit on a bike in the paddock and give you real time feedback to work on when on the track, that was really helpful for me.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You don't necessarily have your head down at the mirrors. If that's where it ends up because you have really low clip-ons and/or a really high seat then that's fine, but I don't think you should force your head down. You do on the straights to reduce drag of course, but in most corners drag is not much of a concern. Here's another Life at Lean video on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrjm84_BOU

You want to get body weight onto the inside peg, because it helps the bike turn. You put your knee out, because it helps your leg muscles to support your weight. You get your weight to the inside, because you can lean the bike less.

Here is a video of me (a scrub) for what it's worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoUqmdduo8s

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Right I hope it didn't come across like that, you don't want to force your head into any particular position, that's just ballpark where it will naturally be when you're doing full body position and looking through the corner. I have a bike with a relaxed stock setup and I can still lean way off when I'm going for it, but of course every situation and bike is different, take advantage of the in person coaching which will be able to give you specifics. I usually don't give advice because I don't know anything, but that was something I noticed in the video posted earlier only because I struggle with it myself and got a lot of in person training to help realize what I needed to work on. Even when I started to figure my leg movement out my upper body still tends to be stiff and lined up with the bike so the mirrors are one of my personal reference points to work on that.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I lucked into an opening for the Saturday trackday at CoTA, so that's two in a month. And, while I'm a bit sore, I don't feel nearly as beat up as that last track day so I guess I just need to exercise more, or do more trackdays. :getin:

Here's a not super exciting video from my next to last session. I was supposed to be followed by an instructor in this session. On the outlap he signals for me to pass him on the back straight. I get up to 130mph which I think is about the fastest I've been on this bike, and then over cook the hairpin and am annoyed with myself. At about the 4 minute mark you'll see I catch up to a guy on an S1000RR who is braking way too hard into turn 19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLjl_OANvSc

This track day had a lot more of the same stuff. Getting stuck behind guys on bikes with 3x the HP of mine, and then not having the confidence I guess to really go for more passes. I still had a blast, and the weather was perfect again.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slide Hammer posted:

Hit 22222[2] on the GN yesterday. It probably won't see 33333[3]...

:colbert:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Haha hell yeah!!! Nice job

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I lucked into an opening for the Saturday trackday at CoTA, so that's two in a month. And, while I'm a bit sore, I don't feel nearly as beat up as that last track day so I guess I just need to exercise more, or do more trackdays. :getin:

Here's a not super exciting video from my next to last session. I was supposed to be followed by an instructor in this session. On the outlap he signals for me to pass him on the back straight. I get up to 130mph which I think is about the fastest I've been on this bike, and then over cook the hairpin and am annoyed with myself. At about the 4 minute mark you'll see I catch up to a guy on an S1000RR who is braking way too hard into turn 19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLjl_OANvSc

This track day had a lot more of the same stuff. Getting stuck behind guys on bikes with 3x the HP of mine, and then not having the confidence I guess to really go for more passes. I still had a blast, and the weather was perfect again.

:justpost: except just pass. To be honest I’m pretty shy about passing on my 300 unless they’re super slow. They almost always just pass me straight back, and then I look like a dick passing everyone on the brakes. I mean I don’t think it’s a dick move, but seems like that’s kind of the consensus around here. :shrug:

What jumps out to me on your video is you’re short shifting a lot. Besides the two big straights, you’re almost always between 5k and 8k. I know the SV650 is pretty punchy, but I don’t remember it being gutless up top either. I only rode it like 2 miles through the suburbs though. Just glancing at some dyno charts it should pull up to 10k.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Haha rad

Toe Rag posted:

:justpost: except just pass. To be honest I’m pretty shy about passing on my 300 unless they’re super slow. They almost always just pass me straight back, and then I look like a dick passing everyone on the brakes. I mean I don’t think it’s a dick move, but seems like that’s kind of the consensus around here. :shrug:

What jumps out to me on your video is you’re short shifting a lot. Besides the two big straights, you’re almost always between 5k and 8k. I know the SV650 is pretty punchy, but I don’t remember it being gutless up top either. I only rode it like 2 miles through the suburbs though. Just glancing at some dyno charts it should pull up to 10k.

Yeah I would be hammering the engine to 10k and even longer if it meant not having to upshift and then immediately downshift before a corner. You won't hurt anything and as it is you're leaving like 20hp on the table

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I would be hammering the engine to 10k and even longer if it meant not having to upshift and then immediately downshift before a corner. You won't hurt anything and as it is you're leaving like 20hp on the table

I've found the throttle to be too twitchy at low speed, in second gear at the hairpins. Perhaps now that I'm carrying some more speed it wouldn't be as bad, but that's part of why I've stuck to only going down to 3rd gear.

As for short shifting, yeah you may be right. I could probably wring out 3rd and 4th a little more. I know I can go faster in the turns following the esses. I need to remind myself that I can safely push more.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Is that an "early" EFI thing?

My carb'd SV works very smoothly (though it is very sensitive to input, just think about the throttle and you feel it do something). The generation after the Gladius also worked smoothly, if slightly numb because designed with new riders in mind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The early sv EFI was noticeably feisty compared to the recent ones yeah

But also gearing + it's a twin + garbage suspension exacerbating it + skill issue

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

The early sv EFI was noticeably feisty compared to the recent ones yeah

But also gearing + it's a twin + garbage suspension exacerbating it + skill issue

Wow, really coming for my throat today, Slavvy.

It's a 2008 SV. I've read that a power commander will fix the jerkyness of the throttle at low RPMs, but I haven't wanted to spend money on things like that, that aren't really holding me back.

As for suspension the springs have been swapped for my weight, the rear ohlins was recently rebuilt and setup by the local suspension guy, and the front has Race Tech gold valve emulators.

Although, the suspension guy claims that the original installation instructions drill out too much of the damping rod and says that the front suspension could be better if I let him work on it--- or if I want to drop $1500 apparently there are some cartridges he could install.

It certainly would be cheaper than a new bike, but on the other hand something with more modern suspension, brakes, and some safety features/tech could be nice.

A slipper clutch could also be a nice addition.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh if you've already got the suspension done you're 90% of the way there, the stock stuff is so poor that any improvement is a huge improvement even if it's not optimal

A slightly larger sprocket on the rear might help you by making third more tractable and keeping you out of second entirely

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Thanks for chondroitin recommendation going to get me some. Been boiling bones lately and it's helped a ton with stiffness and aches.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is an excellent photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yesterday might have been the last ride of the year. But maybe I'll get lucky over Christmas.