Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

brae posted:

This is a new-to-me 991.2 Carrera 4S. Sorry for the dirty car (and crappy garage background) but I've been having a blast driving it around and it seems like a waste to wash it considering how much I plan to use it. Never owned a Porsche but wanted a 911 for like 25 years, posters on my bedroom walls and all that. So my inner kid's pretty happy.

:fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Those wheels are so much nicer than the ones they put on the newer models that look like cheap aftermarket crap.

Those are the current-model base wheels.

You can get upgraded split 5-spoke wheels that look horrible though.

Nice ST Danthrax!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

2 low 4 track

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
so 👌🏻

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

brae posted:

This is a new-to-me 991.2 Carrera 4S. Sorry for the dirty car (and crappy garage background) but I've been having a blast driving it around and it seems like a waste to wash it considering how much I plan to use it. Never owned a Porsche but wanted a 911 for like 25 years, posters on my bedroom walls and all that. So my inner kid's pretty happy.

Nice :hfive: I've been eyeing Porsches more often lately that 991 is one hell of a car for the money.

In much slower vehicle news...remember the old wheels that were on the F100

Months ago I saw Real Racing was having a closeout deal on the 15x7 D-Window street wheels for $19.99 a pop so I ordered a set. I finally got around to getting tires and mounting them on the truck. I was worried the back spacing would push them out too far but at ~1/2" it looks fine. I'll probably give them a coat of white plastidip in a few months to see if it looks as good as I think it will.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Fwiw I think that's a significant aesthetic improvement. I wish the wheels I lusted for we're anywhere even close to that cost.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Those look great. $20 each is a hell of a deal.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Traded in my S3 for a 2018 Civic Si in the best color, Rallye Red. S3 was an amazing car, but kind of boring and expensive for a car I hardly drove.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Grakkus posted:

So I bought a large pile of moss and dirt with some metal and plastic underneath:

I'm finally back with this car and I broke out some rags and APC:

Cleans up pretty good!

The fuel filler flap is locked, though, and the key won't turn in it. It's definitely the right key. Any ideas on how to open it? It'd be a shame to have to drill it out.

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 7, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Grakkus posted:

I'm finally back with this car and I broke out some rags and APC:

Cleans up pretty good!

The fuel filler flap is locked, though, and the key won't turn in it. It's definitely the right key. Any ideas on how to open it? It'd be a shame to have to drill it out.

Are you sure it's the right key?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuT_63Ioig

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

NOOOOOOOOOO I WANT AN RF SO BAD

hows the shifter character, i sat in one and that clutch was feather light

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The current RF with the BBS/Brembo option is so loving awesome. Nice, dude.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Coolnezzz posted:

Traded in my S3 for a 2018 Civic Si in the best color, Rallye Red. S3 was an amazing car, but kind of boring and expensive for a car I hardly drove.

I can only afford to shop at 4th Honda. :(

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

This photo makes the N look massive or the R34 look small? I think its the different wheel sizes (17' vs. 19') but that modern belt line tho...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tobu posted:

This photo makes the N look massive or the R34 look small? I think its the different wheel sizes (17' vs. 19') but that modern belt line tho...

Cars are huge now.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Cars are huge now.

I tried to put Focus ST Recaros in a Fox Mustang a year ago.

I gave up inside 10 minutes when I realized I couldn't even get one inside the car.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

thechalkoutline posted:

NOOOOOOOOOO I WANT AN RF SO BAD

hows the shifter character, i sat in one and that clutch was feather light

It's very light but also very easy. I can from a mazda3 sedan and was worried the clutch would be way less forgiving, but it's not. The transmission itself is almost flawless (it doesn't like to take 1st sometimes). It feels pretty much perfect rowing through the gears.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

tobu posted:

Yo, your new girl fat.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Long live 17" wheels.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BlackMK4 posted:

The current RF with the BBS/Brembo option is so loving awesome. Nice, dude.

This is so true, if I could fit in one I'd have one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Cars are huge now.

Yeah they are. You have to buy a compact pickup now to get something the size pickups were in the '80s. There's literally no such thing as a minitruck any more.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

Yeah they are. You have to buy a compact pickup now to get something the size pickups were in the '80s. There's literally no such thing as a minitruck any more.
I have a whiney rant I can drop at a moment's notice that starts with "Ford, what were you thinking?". You can usually find me quietly rehearsing this rant when I'm driving my '97 Ranger around and noticing all the other Rangers still on the road. Within 50m of my parking spot there are 2 other Rangers the same colour as mine (red) and another yellow one; expand out to 100m and we add two black ones and probably a couple more I haven't noticed yet.

Out of curiosity, and because I've been thinking about this a fair bit lately, what would stop some other manufacturer - I'm thinking either Mazda or Honda - from launching a pickup truck that is about the same overall size as a mid-90's Ranger (i.e., much smaller than the relaunched Ranger). I'm assuming there are safety considerations that affect things like the bumper height and characteristics, but could a truly small pickup* be sold today? Could Mazda re-launch the B-series but have it be more like the B-series of old than the new Ranger? Could Honda sell a 2/3-size Ridgeline-like thing?

* The last time I looked, a few months ago for unrelated reasons, the Chevy Colorado was described by GM as "mid-sized" rather than "compact" or "light" or some other not-manly-man term.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ExecuDork posted:

I have a whiney rant I can drop at a moment's notice that starts with "Ford, what were you thinking?". You can usually find me quietly rehearsing this rant when I'm driving my '97 Ranger around and noticing all the other Rangers still on the road. Within 50m of my parking spot there are 2 other Rangers the same colour as mine (red) and another yellow one; expand out to 100m and we add two black ones and probably a couple more I haven't noticed yet.

Out of curiosity, and because I've been thinking about this a fair bit lately, what would stop some other manufacturer - I'm thinking either Mazda or Honda - from launching a pickup truck that is about the same overall size as a mid-90's Ranger (i.e., much smaller than the relaunched Ranger). I'm assuming there are safety considerations that affect things like the bumper height and characteristics, but could a truly small pickup* be sold today? Could Mazda re-launch the B-series but have it be more like the B-series of old than the new Ranger? Could Honda sell a 2/3-size Ridgeline-like thing?

* The last time I looked, a few months ago for unrelated reasons, the Chevy Colorado was described by GM as "mid-sized" rather than "compact" or "light" or some other not-manly-man term.

They would need to build them in North America (including Mexico) to avoid the 25% "chicken tax", unless they have 4 seats.

edit: Check out the Honda Ridgeline Wikipedia article, somebody went all out with the pictures & illustrations:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Ridgeline

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The new Ranger is bigger than my 1995 F-150 was.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Rhyno posted:

I was gonna say. I've seen a new Ranger with Mexican plates in Texas. It's just as big as I remember the old F-150s being. The small truck is dead.

The smallest-looking truck I can recall in the last 15 years is the Tacoma X-Runner.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rhyno posted:

It’s a fair bit narrower and shorter than all but one version of the old F150 (according to Wikipedia at least)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dissss posted:

It’s a fair bit narrower and shorter than all but one version of the old F150 (according to Wikipedia at least)

The one they had on display at NAIAS was fuckin huge.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Getting close on the new car, just intake and meth tank up front left before I am doing 160 in the 1/8th mile in my "street car"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I bet that makes a sound.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

tehk posted:

Getting close on the new car, just intake and meth tank up front left before I am doing 160 in the 1/8th mile in my "street car"

WOAH!
This is amazing :D

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love how old US muscle looks on drag tyres, they look like the cars you used to draw as a kid, just massive arch-filling meat.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rhyno posted:

The Tacoma is as big or bigger than a T100. I’m pretty sure new RAV4s are as big as my 2000 4Runner.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Charles posted:

edit: Check out the Honda Ridgeline Wikipedia article, somebody went all out with the pictures & illustrations:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Ridgeline
Holy GRAP you weren't kidding! That's the most detailed, comprehensive wikipedia article about a car I've ever seen. I wish more were like that. I might actually want to look up gear ratios for each OEM transmission for a vehicle, with associated dyno output. :stare:

The Gen II Ridgeline is listed with a curb weight similar to my Ranger's*, 4,242–4,515 lb (1,924–2,048 kg) - when I had my Ranger weighed at the dump before registering it in Ontario, it was 2,055 kg with me, half a tank of fuel, and some crap in the back seat in it. So despite the puffy fatness and high beltline that modern safety standards (perhaps) impose, the Ridgeline is fairly similar to the 20-years-ago "compact" trucks I've been thinking about. My truck's bed is 6 feet long, though, and modern trucks have a more cab-favoured ratio of peoplespace-to-cargospace.

*The wikipedia article for the Ford Ranger is the least detailed, least comprehensive wikipedia article about a widely-available, mass-produced car from a major manufacturer that I've ever seen.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ExecuDork posted:

Holy GRAP you weren't kidding! That's the most detailed, comprehensive wikipedia article about a car I've ever seen. I wish more were like that. I might actually want to look up gear ratios for each OEM transmission for a vehicle, with associated dyno output. :stare:
I like how you know what sort of article youre reading by the very first sentence.

quote:

The Honda Ridgeline is a sport utility truck (SUT) by American Honda Motor Company, Inc. and is categorized by some as a lifestyle pickup.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The truck for everyone in America who doesn't haul skid-steers or horses with a gooseneck. Those people need 1000 ft.lbs of torque in their $80,000 Fords.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I luv 2 post

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bape Culture posted:

I luv 2 post

It isn't nice to post pictures from Gran Turismo and pass them off as real bub :colbert:
Looks good as heck

Now I wait for about two months before I can see just how difficult it is going to be to un-wrap that interior.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Are those NA Miata interior door handles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

opengl128 posted:

Are those NA Miata interior door handles?

Yep! Suzkui built the thing to Mazda's specifications so those are indeed Miata handles.