Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Getting into sports gambling if I can figure out when he might finish Oathbringer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The best image is a dude holding a hardback Stormlight book and it looks entirely normal because he’s 7 freaking 3.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

This owns. Along the same lines of all the NFL guys who are really into shonen anime.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I'm nearing the half way point. It has been very very good. Even though I constantly want to throttle Kaladin.

It's also unfair favoritism that between WoK and WoR, Kaladin has thus far been the only character to have viewpoint chapters in every part.

I mean, it's very unambiguous that he's the main character. There are lots of other central characters like Shallon, Dalinar, Adolin, and so on. They even get books that focus more on them - but the story remains centered on Kaladin. So you better get used to it cause that's not changing for the rest of the books, or the subsequent books.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Finished the first one.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
she raised her safe hand to her breast

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

NinjaDebugger posted:

Finished the first one.

Wow that looks great, did you follow a tutorial of some sort?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Wow that looks great, did you follow a tutorial of some sort?

Nope. Only recently has NMM really started to click for me, and even on this, the sword's not great and a lot of the highlights are likely misplaced by a bit to a lot, but overall it seems to work.

A lot of it was taking a photo of the original in strongly directional light to approximate the sun in the sky, showing me approximately which bits would be reflecting the most.

Is the new paint better? Maybe. It is more satisfying to me? Absolutely.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 21, 2024

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The Sunlit Man

Well, I'm done. I have read all published Cosmere stories. I'm free. I think this one was a really good one to finish the journey, since (all spoilers for everything, stay safe @Mordiceius, do not click) it goes back to a Stormlight character in Sigzil. It's kinda funny that Nomad was Sigzil, because for some reason when I first saw the cover I thought it was Teft, then he loving died in RoW and of course I was distraught, but also confused. Then it was a different Bridgeman. Early in the book I wondered if it was one of the Lopen's Herdazian cousins, until he started talking about the Alethi coming from the East. He mentioned cousins and being short, but the Hoid as his master stuff put a spotlight on Sigzil.

I'm actually a bit disappointed with the lore about the system itself, or rather the lack of explanation. I was sure that Nomad would end up wrong about the Scadrian monitoring station, and there was going to actually be deeper caverns, journey to the center of the earth style, with a perpendicularity at the core. I was convinced that was what was sucking in the Investiture from the sun. But instead we just don't find out? I'm a little bummed out there. And how do all the plants and animals just come back? I assume the core, being so Invested, is somehow releasing some of that power into the land and Genesising the world constantly.

I did like the inclusion of more Threnodite lore, but even then there weren't many answers. From what I gather Threnodites are, in general, more Invested than humans from other worlds, which is maybe part of why they end up turning into Cognitive Shadows? And the Night Brigade are the Threnodites answer, in a literary sense, to all the other Worldhopping organizations like the Ghostbloods, the 17th Shard, the Ire, and whoever I'm forgetting. I like that there's so many players in the spacefaring game, even if it'll take a long time to get there in the SA/MB series.

The world itself though just loving sucks. I'd be first to just give up and say "you need a battery, I'll go, it's fine, I'm tired." I kinda hate that the end of the book is just "they're still on this horrible planet, but they can recharge their batteries". It just loving sucks so bad, who set this up? What Shard thought "this would be a funny joke if someone gets trapped here" because this is NOT something that I think just happened naturally, even if there isn't a Shard here now (according to the Scadrians). I was really thinking "Oh this must be Invention" because what other shard would put people in a meat grinder like this, "necessity is the mother of all invention" and all that.

And also, apparently the method of making Cinder Kings/Queens is just to shove a Sunheart in someone, but not all the way? That seems extremely easy to do, I'm surprised there's not a bunch of Cinder Monarchs running around controlling all the other Charred. I'm glad the Cinder King got ruined though. For all my bad guesses about there being a perpendicularity, I did actually see the CK and Nomad having a little heat draining fight coming the second that Nomad became Zellion and had a Connection to the people. I was pretty happy about that.

Then Sigzil/Nomad/Zellion ends up on UTol, I think. That was fun, I do wonder if this was before or after Yumi. And I have to mention that Sigzil holding a Dawnshard, then passing it on, and then also going from Windrunner to Skybreaker, all sort of as a backstory, was pretty amazing. I hope we get to see those events in the Stormlight books yet to come. Shame about Aux in the end, that was another obvious one, the second he mentioned he could give Nomad a boost of power earlier on. What Nomad needs is a Bondsmith to remove his Connection to the Dawnshard. I feel like this would be pretty easy for Ishi, or some other higher order Bondsmith.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book, though the art was a real disappointment after Tress and Yumi. The story itself was fun, and seemingly far more attached to the rest of the Cosmere with Sigzil and the Dawnshard. But that makes sense with Brandon saying at the end that Tress and Yumi were a gift to Emily, but Sunlit was a gift to the fans.

Now for a long wait! At least I can dive into the Coppermind and WoBs and a full spoilers podcast or two (I've just started Cosmere Conversations) to tide me over.

Progress so far:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sunlit Man spoilers
Brandon has said that the planet is an artificial creation that was created for a very specific purpose that we just don't know yet, so hopefully we'll find out more but probably not until Mistborn Era 4 at the earliest based on the timeline.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pik_d posted:

Well, I'm done. I have read all published Cosmere stories. I'm free.

Now rank them. :colbert:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

Now rank them. :colbert:

N... No.. I love all my babies.

Except Jak.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I’m making slow progress on Sunlit Man as my gf got me ti start another series but I’m really enjoying the slow burn (pun intended) so far. I’m also basically done with cosmere stuff at that point too.

My good friend just finished Hero of Ages and he adored it. His exact words were “it was beautiful. I loved it, I want more” and now he’s on to Elantris and Warbreaker. Feels good when your friends jump in the deep end with you.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Stormlight interlude question:

There is an interlude in one of the stormlight books told from the perspective of one-of-two random hired goons, who are on some mission with a female master who is smashing old art and such. She says something about shardblades being convenient/handy/whatever and she should get her hands on one some time.

She's a world-hopper right? Do we know who she is?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Finally finished Oathbringer. Work and real life got in the way, so I wasn't able to devour it as fast. Probably my favourite book of the series so far. Already purchased and downloaded the next one onto my Kindle Oasis.

Thoughts:

- Still not the biggest fan of Kaladin. I've really connected to Dalinar and Shallan/Veil/Radiant, although the whole Kaladin/Veil attraction is making me uncomfortable. I'm happy that Adolin brought it up as well.
- Not sure where the story is going from here, because it felt like a big chunk of things were tied down. The heralds still don't really feel explained too well at this point. I'm not sure the point of them or why they're being killed by Moash.
- Moash / Marsh?
- I still don't really understand Wit but he's probably one of my favourite people so far. But I'm not sure what side he's on or what his work is actually about. He seems like the Wild Card.
- I don't know if the Ghostbloods are good or bad. I still don't understand Taranvangian's (did I spell it correctly out of memory or did i mess it up?) motives. He seems to also be a Wild Card.
- When Kaladin said, "we carry this bridge together," to Teft... my eyes watered. The closest to being emotional for a book I've ever been in since I read Nicholas Sparks as a kid. As a recovered addict, it Hit.
- With this only being Book Three, I have no idea where the next book will go, let alone the one coming out at the end of this year. And with five more after that? This is my first epic since I read Game of Thrones a few years back, so I'm not sure what's to come. And I'm extremely excited.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pik_d posted:

The world itself though just loving sucks. I'd be first to just give up and say "you need a battery, I'll go, it's fine, I'm tired." I kinda hate that the end of the book is just "they're still on this horrible planet, but they can recharge their batteries". It just loving sucks so bad, who set this up? What Shard thought "this would be a funny joke if someone gets trapped here" because this is NOT something that I think just happened naturally, even if there isn't a Shard here now (according to the Scadrians). I was really thinking "Oh this must be Invention" because what other shard would put people in a meat grinder like this, "necessity is the mother of all invention" and all that.

Keep in mind that they weren't native, they just showed up later when fleeing their own hellhole. It wasn't intended to be liveable by anyone. my theory is that the core of the planet is a giant egg and one day it's gonna hatch

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Keep in mind that they weren't native, they just showed up later when fleeing their own hellhole. It wasn't intended to be liveable by anyone. my theory is that the core of the planet is a giant egg and one day it's gonna hatch

My theory is someone is trying to rejoin all the shards and needs a giant investiture battery

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

road potato posted:

Stormlight interlude question:

There is an interlude in one of the stormlight books told from the perspective of one-of-two random hired goons, who are on some mission with a female master who is smashing old art and such. She says something about shardblades being convenient/handy/whatever and she should get her hands on one some time.

She's a world-hopper right? Do we know who she is?

She's Shalash, the herald of art.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
About halfway through The Way of Kings and Kalladin just survived the Highstorm. His chapters feel like classic movies - ladder runs feel like a great prison movie like Shawshank Redeption, Cool Hand Luke or One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest.. Really fun character to spend time with. Excited for Shallan and Dalinar chapters to kick into high gear

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

No context Words of Radiance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qv25_DFR2k

Also - regarding ages of Stormlight characters - I felt like there was some odd discrepancies (very very minor inconsequential WoR spoilers) as Moash talked about his grandparents being in their 70s when they were thrown in the dungeon.

It has been said that Rosharan years are 500 days long - which would make it about 35% longer than earth years - meaning a 20 Roshar year old Kaladin would be more akin to 27 years old. 17 Roshar year old Shalan would be closer to 23 earth years. But something about this didn't feel right. If Moash's grandparents were working their 70s (Roshar age), that would make them nearly 100 in earth years.

So I did some further digging and found that there is more to it than just Roshar years being 500 days long. Roshar days are only 20 hours. And Roshar hours are a few minutes shorter than Earth hours. The end result: a Roshar year is roughly 1.1x the length of an Earth year.

According to the 17th Shard forums, by the end of WoK:

Character ages in WoK posted:

Bridge Four:
Kaladin: Born in the latter half if 1154 AC and is 20 years old. 22 years in Earth years.

House Kholin:
Jasnah: Born 1139 AC and is 34 years old. Around 37 years old in Earth years.
Elhokar: Born 1147 AC and is 26 years old. Close to 29 in Earth years.
Adolin: Born 1150 AC and is 24 years old. Around 26 years old in Earht years.
Renarin: Born 1154 AC and is 19 years old. 21 Earth years.

House Davar:
Balat: Born 1150 AC and is 23 years old, which is 25 in Earth years.
Shallan: Born 1154 AC and is 17 years old, which is just shy of 19 Earth years.

House Sadeas:
Torol: Born 1123 AC and is 50 years old. 55 in Earth years.

Interlude characters:
Szeth: Born 1138 AC and is 35 years old. 38,5 in Earth years.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, it's certainly a decision to brave the 17th Shard Forums in search of answers. Be aware that even thread titles can be massive spoilers.

But yeah, it's something to keep in mind. It also makes Shallan an adult, which is much better all around for obvious reasons.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 24, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Wow, it's certainly a decision to brave the 17th Shard Forums in search of answers. Be aware that even thread titles can be massive spoilers.

So I didn't look a lot into the 17th Shard Forums. I had just thrown "way of kings character ages" in Google and that thread popped up. I avoided delving deeper.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I legit didn't know that about Rosharan days and minutes being fucky, so that's neat.

The right answer is always "Roshar is Planet Anime and that's why all the heroes have to be teenagers" though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's one teenager among the "heroes". Not to mention that one of the three main characters is clearly in his late forties at the very least.

Notwithstanding the unusual age structure (for anime), Roshar is still Planet Anime, of course.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I legit didn't know that about Rosharan days and minutes being fucky, so that's neat.

The right answer is always "Roshar is Planet Anime and that's why all the heroes have to be teenagers" though.

Yeah, the thing that made me dig deeper was the mention of the ages of Moash's grandparents.

So yeah, Roshar is 1.1x Earth years vs 1.37x, which feels far more appropriate for characters across the spectrum.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

You missed the obvious hints at Moash's grandparents being from planet Bullshit where their investiture allows them to live much longer natural lives.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Welp. The series definitely has its hooks in me (finally). I'm cruising through WoR.

I have some thoughts about the relationship between WoR and WoK that I will be interested in mentioning again when I finish this book - as I don't know how it will end yet but I have some assumptions.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

Welp. The series definitely has its hooks in me (finally). I'm cruising through WoR.

I have some thoughts about the relationship between WoR and WoK that I will be interested in mentioning again when I finish this book - as I don't know how it will end yet but I have some assumptions.
C’mon then, let’s have some assumptions.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

C’mon then, let’s have some assumptions.

Okay, I'll make this brief though. For context, I'm about 60% done with WoR.

(WoR spoiler/speculation) I feel like WoR has to end with a resolution to the Alethi vs Parshendi conflict as well as the Radiants/Urithiru.

I don't know how either of these will resolve but I feel like we need to get past this war on the Shattered Plains and we need to find Urithiru to start kicking this story into gear. Everything else - voidbringers, Sadeas, Odium, anything else - can wait. I feel like those two aspects need resolution.

And with the assumption that WoR ends with something along those lines, I have feelings about Way of Kings. (General WoK/WoR spoilers)
I'm not going to be one of those people that thinks WoK needs to be slashed into a "200 page prologue to WoR" like I think you've said, but I feel like the book, as it is, feels incomplete.

Like, I get that these books are part of a series and that means no hardcore resolution in the first two books, but Way of Kings felt like it had no real resolution to much of anything it set up. I didn't feel like that there was much in the way of a Sanderlanche. The battle at the Tower was cool, but that felt like a step along the way, not a resolution to anything.

Way of Kings and Words of Radiance feel like two halves of one book in a series. If WoK/WoR was one book, I think I would be kinder to the overall story - even if it kept the length of both books but combined them With WoK as its own book, I had expectations going in based on Sanderson's other works and I think that lead to general disappointment.

Imagine if The Final Empire ended when Vin first took the role of Lady Valette Renoux. You'd feel like nothing got resolved and that the story was unsatisfying. That's how Way of Kings feels to me.

TLDR: WoK/WoR feel like they should be two halves of "Book 1 of the Stormlight Archive"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

No context Words of Radiance.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

No context is needed, friend.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

He was doing some awesome bike tricks right before that, tho.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm assuming this one is Elhokar-related (specifically when he goes hmmm I'm bonded to an honorspren and sworn to protect, I will also swear to assist an assassination of a man explicitly under my protection, this will go well and is definitely an honorable thing to do, I'm very smart) but it's so telling that I'm not sure.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I'm assuming this one is Elhokar-related (specifically when he goes hmmm I'm bonded to an honorspren and sworn to protect, I will also swear to assist an assassination of a man explicitly under my protection, this will go well and is definitely an honorable thing to do, I'm very smart) but it's so telling that I'm not sure.

You mean hmm I am bonded to an honorspren and sworn to protect, I should probably kill the guy committing genocide, I'm not even sworn to protect him, just his uncle

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

You mean hmm I am bonded to an honorspren and sworn to protect, I should probably kill the guy committing genocide, I'm not even sworn to protect him, just his uncle

Not that the uncle was necessarily opposed to the genocide, either. At least when he proposed the negotiations, Dalinar was acting out of practical concerns over the stability of the kingdom.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Even if we accept that the war on the Shattered Plains was genocide -- and it's stretching the definition real hard to do so, given that they have no reason to believe the Listeners are a separate race from the Parshmen, no reason to believe that all the Listeners in existence are at the Shattered Plains to be killed, and also they've never once killed a non-combatant which, to me, seems like sort of an important detail? -- that's not why Kaladin decides Elhokar needs killing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm still waiting to find out why the Listeners thought killing the king of the most warloving nation and giving no explanation would be a good idea. And then letting their people be slaughtered for six straight years without trying to do anything about it.

At the current time, I find it incredibly difficult to sympathize with the Listerners because they seem like they're complete dumbasses.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still waiting to find out why the Listeners thought killing the king of the most warloving nation and giving no explanation would be a good idea. And then letting their people be slaughtered for six straight years without trying to do anything about it.

At the current time, I find it incredibly difficult to sympathize with the Listerners because they seem like they're complete dumbasses.

Well, there's a lot of information you don't have yet. But I can at least reassure you that you will get answers to those questions.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Well, there's a lot of information you don't have yet. But I can at least reassure you that you will get answers to those questions.

Yeah. Right now, I'm very much on Dalinar's side with the viewpoint of well, I was feeling bad about all the death, but then they seem to not want to work out a peaceful solution. I guess I'm okay with us slaughtering them all now. (Yes, I'm aware, as the reader, that something fucky seems to be going on with Eshonai)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Right now, I'm very much on Dalinar's side with the viewpoint of well, I was feeling bad about all the death, but then they seem to not want to work out a peaceful solution. I guess I'm okay with us slaughtering them all now. (Yes, I'm aware, as the reader, that something fucky seems to be going on with Eshonai)

I don't know where you are exactly, but that was pretty much my attitude around the middle of WoR, too. There was one not insignificant detail pertaining to this matter that I missed on my first read, because it was only spoken of in like a half-sentence or so. But you're listening to the audiobook, so you'll probably not miss it.