Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I usually have the opposite luck with Amazon. I either get the specialty packaging where the inside has this specially shaped cardboard to provide a support structure for the record or it's a plain vinyl shipper, but it's encased in a larger flat box with air bubbles inside the larger box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
drat. You guys maybe live near bad distro centers? I’ve gotten about half a dozen records from them over the last year or so and each has been perfect. The ones friends got me for Christmas came double-boxed in ridiculously oversized outer boxes, even.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Yeah I suppose it's down to the regional warehouses, but that's the whole problem. There are so many options for buying records online that I don't see the point in rolling the dice on amazon. They don't really sell anything or offer any deals you can't find elsewhere and generally I'd rather give my money to the labels or merchants dedicated specifically to selling records.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mine have always been packaged pretty great. I just suspect in the transport or storage is where they get exposed to too much heat. I've had multiple records arrive in the same box and one is warped to hell while the other is fine. Like I said, I only use them for vinyl when the price is crazy good. Though I suspect they put them on the deal because a bunch are getting returned...

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have had good experiences with records from Amazon so fingers crossed on this one, it was substantially cheaper than any other option. Supposed to arrive tomorrow!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've ordered a ton of records from Amazon and they've all come in special record mailers and have been in perfect shape.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I got a new (sealed) copy of "In the Court of King Crimson" by King Crimson from Amazon UK (I live in the UK, and it is absolutely perfect. Very well packaged in a proper record mailer). Also got "Fragile" by Yes from a seller on Discogs a few days later.

Can't be arsed to take pictures.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 1, 2018

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

It took 15 years, but I finally have a 9" record.

I bought some other records too!!

this is a split

check out this wicked fold out sleeve

i bought this record off the internet and it turned out to not be very good!

i bought these from the internet too!

nice

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Banano posted:

Holy gently caress, everybody go out and buy this. Now.

Mine came today! It was through Amazon and really well packed. You didn't oversell the album either, it is really really good and my mind is racing with sampling ideas.

I was also able to grab a few LP's and 45's off the Daptone label from a friend. Excited to hear some newer soul music and find some good samples.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 2, 2018

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

found this goody behind a stack of Pitch Perfect 2 OST's and it was actually $10 off so pretty good deal there.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Photex posted:

found this goody behind a stack of Pitch Perfect 2 OST's and it was actually $10 off so pretty good deal there.

Nice pickup. I thought the first one was better but this one is still great.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
A buddy of mine dropped off an early wedding present.

I now have my very own sound system with a turntable.
My wallet is preparing for a long winter and I'm having fun picking up LPs. My favorite part so far has been learning how to take care of this idiot medium.

Sun? Fucks it up. Laying it down? Fucks it up. Looking at it funny? fucks it up. Doing nothing? Static can gently caress it up.

Goddamn. I knew this was going to be a pain in the rear end but I'm still havin fun.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

A buddy of mine dropped off an early wedding present.

I now have my very own sound system with a turntable.
My wallet is preparing for a long winter and I'm having fun picking up LPs. My favorite part so far has been learning how to take care of this idiot medium.

Sun? Fucks it up. Laying it down? Fucks it up. Looking at it funny? fucks it up. Doing nothing? Static can gently caress it up.

Goddamn. I knew this was going to be a pain in the rear end but I'm still havin fun.

Try not to listen to all the hyperbole you'll read on reddit or most other online vinyl communities. Records are fairly robust. I frequently leave records sitting sideways, handle them with my fingers, leave them in my car in the summer, leave the discs sitting out for weeks collecting dust, etc.

Admittedly I do take better care of any new vinyl I buy, but it's really not worth stressing over. The ritualistic handling and care of your records and equipment should be part of your enjoyment, not a chore.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
If records were as fragile as all those nerds think we would have no records surviving from the 70s (hint: we do)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Yah, I would say when I first started collecting I was overly careful with how I handled and cleaned my discs. But I learned that records are fairly robust, and as long as you treat them reasonably well, they will last. One thing I would definitely recommend that is fairly cheap is getting plastic sleeves for your LP's. One of my favorite parts of buying LP's is the artwork so I want to make sure it lasts.

I do find enjoyment in throwing an LP on while I go through and clean the contents of my latest dig. The Spin-Clean and micro-fiber rags have worked well for me so far. I saw a very interesting idea for cleaning records but wanted to ask if anyone has tried it. It said to use wood glue, let it dry, and then peel it off to get super clean records. I was thinking of trying it with a really dirty record that has a lot of surface noise but wanted to ask if anyone else had tried it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
As expensive as vinyl albums are, just remember they are an obsolete medium that is made to not be perfect or whatever.

If you want to go sleeving every album go ahead. Ugh. I personally find it annoying.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

jeeves posted:

As expensive as vinyl albums are, just remember they are an obsolete medium that is made to not be perfect or whatever.

If you want to go sleeving every album go ahead. Ugh. I personally find it annoying.

Oh yah, I wasn't suggesting sleeving EVERYTHING. That would be a pain in the rear end. But I sleeve every new album I buy and also any albums that are worth a good amount or have particularly cool artwork. I would say less than half of my collection is sleeved and most of those came sleeved.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anything that comes sealed, I tend to just slice at the opening to get the record out ok. Gives a little bit more protection I’m sure.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

MrSargent posted:

I saw a very interesting idea for cleaning records but wanted to ask if anyone has tried it. It said to use wood glue, let it dry, and then peel it off to get super clean records. I was thinking of trying it with a really dirty record that has a lot of surface noise but wanted to ask if anyone else had tried it.

It's been brought up in this thread in the past and the consensus IIRC is that it's a dumb fad that sounds like a good idea but doesn't do the job any better than just soap and water

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anything that comes sealed, I tend to just slice at the opening to get the record out ok. Gives a little bit more protection I’m sure.

I did this for a while, but sooner rather than later, the plastic seal will start to slide off the record. Especially if your shelf is getting tight on space. I just replaced the plastic seal with a plastic sleeve for those records and it wasn't bad.

Thom and the Heads posted:

It's been brought up in this thread in the past and the consensus IIRC is that it's a dumb fad that sounds like a good idea but doesn't do the job any better than just soap and water

Ok, cool. Thanks!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Cut off the hype stickers and keep them with the sleeve bit throw that plastic out imo

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

I’m on a hunt for After Midnight by The Manhattans. I’ll be traveling a bit this summer (and possibly beyond) and I want the satisfaction of actually finding it in some random record store I come across rather than buying it online. Shining Star is one of my favorite songs ever made.

I’m weird.

Welp, I finally found some Manhattans at the local record store and remembered it was the one you were looking for. Hope you find a copy on your travels! Shining Star really is an amazing song.

These guys had style!

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 6, 2018

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
https://twitter.com/UncleKitchener/status/1015228936391929857?s=19

I like sax and wah wah pedals.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
gene page owned so hard

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MrSargent posted:

Welp, I finally found some Manhattans at the local record store and remembered it was the one you were looking for. Hope you find a copy on your travels! Shining Star really is an amazing song.

These guys had style!

I’m pretty jealous. I’m headed to Wichita, Topeka, and Kansas City over the next two weeks and I’ll be checking out record stores in those areas. I’ll definitely find something (I always do) but I really want that Manhattans record.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

I’m pretty jealous. I’m headed to Wichita, Topeka, and Kansas City over the next two weeks and I’ll be checking out record stores in those areas. I’ll definitely find something (I always do) but I really want that Manhattans record.

Best of luck!

I picked up a Talking Heads record the other day for a couple bucks and it looked to be in excellent shape with not a scratch on the media. However, when I went to play it, part of the disc is warped so that every time it goes around, it skips. When I hold the disc up, I can BARELY see any warping so I wouldn't have expected the needle to jump as much as it does. I currently have it flattening out under some weight, but was wondering if there are any other tips for unwarping records. I know I have a few where the needle jumps when it is close to the edge, but settles down as it gets closer to the middle and I would really like to fix them. They are otherwise in excellent shape.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

boop the snoot posted:

Good luck. Living in Lawrence for 8 years, there was a record store everyone loved (Love Garden) that had absolutely poo poo selection if you were looking for something other than rock/alternative stuff. I can't imagine Wichita or Topeka will be much better. KC will probably have good jazz selection, but not a ton else.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mike_V posted:

Good luck. Living in Lawrence for 8 years, there was a record store everyone loved (Love Garden) that had absolutely poo poo selection if you were looking for something other than rock/alternative stuff. I can't imagine Wichita or Topeka will be much better. KC will probably have good jazz selection, but not a ton else.

No big deal. I’m headed to southern Louisiana for two weeks in August and I’ll check out some stores there. In October there’s a possibility of me going to three other states, just unsure of which one I’ll be going to yet.

I’ll find it eventually. But like I said I always find something wherever I go. There are a few record stores where I live (DC) that I haven’t even been to yet.

It’s a fun hobby.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Just tested out the Talking Heads LP after flattening it all last night and it's better in that it will play through the warp, but there is an audible "bump" every time it goes over the bad area. Gonna put some more weight on top and leave it under for another day, really hope that fixes it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

MrSargent posted:

Just tested out the Talking Heads LP after flattening it all last night and it's better in that it will play through the warp, but there is an audible "bump" every time it goes over the bad area. Gonna put some more weight on top and leave it under for another day, really hope that fixes it.

Ugh, tried it this morning and the needle still bounces every time it hits one spot on the record. I have had it flattening for 48 hours and that doesn't seem to have fixed it. Again, there are literally no scratches or marks on the vinyl so it has to be a warping issue right? I am not sure what else to try.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Ugh, tried it this morning and the needle still bounces every time it hits one spot on the record. I have had it flattening for 48 hours and that doesn't seem to have fixed it. Again, there are literally no scratches or marks on the vinyl so it has to be a warping issue right? I am not sure what else to try.

What tracking force are you using?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

wa27 posted:

What tracking force are you using?

2.0 tracking force which is the upper limit for the stylus (Ortofon 2M Red).

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I don't think you can remove a warp without heat. Try leaving it in the sun for a hour between two panes of glass.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

up the punx

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hottest tip: O.Y. in Hi-Fi by Optigonally Yours is my album of 2018 so far no doubt no doubt

Toe Rag posted:

up the punx
Whenever I'm too poor to buy new records I jump into this thread and hit a random page and just look at all the cool poo poo. Goddamn that's rad stuff.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Huh. Interesting thing about the Optigan recordings: I found a studio in LA selling a shitton of optigan sound discs a month or two ago on Reverb. They're mostly gone now; that was probably the studio where this thing was recorded selling off their stock.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Toe Rag posted:

up the punx

that's the stuff

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

Toe Rag posted:

up the punx

HELL YEAH DUDE

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

A buddy of mine tipped me off this morning that a woman was selling some really clean jazz vinyl down at the huge swap meet / farmer's market near my house. I got ready real quick and left my house at 8:30am on my longboard. I live near Sacramento and it was already starting to get hot so by the time I get there I have a nice sweat working. He gave me instructions to find her, but I came in the opposite entrance he did and so spent about 15 minutes walking right past her stall before I realized it. She only had 1 box of stuff left but I came away with some interesting stuff and it was all in top condition for only $3/each. The coolest thing I found was a Promo stereo copy of "A Portrait of Ray" by Ray Charles which I couldn't find on discogs or on popsike. Popsike had a record of a Promo Mono copy being sold for about $30 two years ago and that was the closest thing I could find.

When I went to pay, she said I should have gotten there earlier because she had more records and people had gone through them a few times. I mentioned I slept in a little bit to which she replied, "Oh you are lazy"....Couldn't really argue with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When I was buying from similar things in the late 90s, the record dealers would be like hawks and pore over any box that touched the ground within seconds. Never been one to deal with that bullshit.

Still aches to this day that the one guy I saw down there in over a decade who actually had a stack of 90s dance 12” singles and I was waking and had no way of getting the lot back home. Vinyl gets heavy fast.