Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lexicon posted:

When various financial people sagely quote that you shouldn't spend more than X% of your income on housing, where X is typically 30, they're all seemingly unanimous in the correctness of this figure, but never specify whether they mean gross or net - and it makes a rather large difference. Which is it?

I always assumed net.

My income is totally variable since I'm self employed, so I don't know what I make net until I do my taxes every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Most proles I know make about 20-30k but live with a partner making about the same. Everyone living on their own makes 40k or more so that seems to be the cut off in Victoria anyways. It really depends on location. Not just city but neighborhood. Living far away to save on rent has diminishing returns as transport costs and time eat up any rent savings. This is why urban planning is very important because if you cram all your density into downtown towers it will never be affordable but if you push everything cheap way away from the jobs working class people throw their lives away sitting in a car they can barely afford. The key is to destroy middle class nimby power in the single family home neighborhood s near the city center and allow them to naturally densify into what ever the current most economical structure type is. Condo towers and sprawl is a disaster.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

I know roughly how much I make per pay day, beyond that no idea. I think that's pretty normal for most hourly workers. For me it works out to about 23k a year, I guess this is net? It's the money I actually get paid and take home to pay rent and such.

And how much do you have after trains? :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well my rent is 1400 a month and my apartment is 900 sqft so that's about $1.5 per square foot. My train room is about 120sqft so that's $186 a month on trains, might as well round that to $200 meaning I spend 10% of my monthly income on trains. That seems really expensive when I do the math but it's really not that bad, people spend way more than that a month on other hobbies like drinking or smoking things.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah I'm just teasing, we all got dumb hobbies.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Lexicon posted:

When various financial people sagely quote that you shouldn't spend more than X% of your income on housing, where X is typically 30, they're all seemingly unanimous in the correctness of this figure, but never specify whether they mean gross or net - and it makes a rather large difference. Which is it?

It's gross.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The owner of Avalanche Pizza in Whistler was whining to the paper again this week that he's not getting anyone qualified to manage his store when he's offering $40k plus a season's pass ($1.5k).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HookShot posted:

The owner of Avalanche Pizza in Whistler was whining to the paper again this week that he's not getting anyone qualified to manage his store when he's offering $40k plus a season's pass ($1.5k).

If you can't find and retain employees, it means you have no clue how to run a successful business.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

If you can't find and retain employees, it means you have no clue how to run a successful business.

I'm beginning to see how true this really is. A friend of mine just took a pay cut to get a new job because he was sick of dealing with the bullshit that went on at his higher-paying job, and I think he made an excellent choice. While compensation is important, not being a giant, raving rear end in a top hat of a boss it also crucial when it comes to employee retention.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also renting in Whistler is the worst.

http://whistler.craigslist.ca/apa/5216253987.html - 650sqft for $2300/month
http://whistler.craigslist.ca/apa/5215822516.html - want a 3 bedroom place? That'll set you back $3400 a month.
http://whistler.craigslist.ca/apa/5215756585.html - but then again this 2 bedroom is $3000 a month, makes the one above look like a steal!
http://whistler.craigslist.ca/apa/5215340365.html - especially when you consider this one bedroom for $2300 a month, in a building that I'm 99% sure doesn't include parking (Aspens makes even owners pay per night AFAIK)

Also one thing I've noticed is that rental prices in Squamish/Pemberton have soared in the last two years. It used to be the equivalent property was a little over half the price of what you'd pay in Whistler, now you're just looking at a couple hundred less. You used to be able to rent a 2.5 bed place in Squamish for around $1500/month, now you're looking at 2k minimum.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Guys, let us bow our heads in contemplative sadness and pity that forums goon hookshot is having a hard time finding a large apartment to house her husband and dog in one of the world's most highly sought after ski resorts. I will now play a dirge in memoriam of her hopes on the world's tiniest violin

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I haven't mentioned what size apartment I'm looking for, but nice try.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Vancouverite posted:

You stupid shithead. You're obviously a crack head yourself. These people are losers that should be forcibly removed (my property values are severely negatively affected) and put in a remote island work camp. That will solve the problem once and for ALL. You stupid idiot should join them LOSER!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Guys, let us bow our heads in contemplative sadness and pity that forums goon hookshot is having a hard time finding a large apartment to house her husband and dog in one of the world's most highly sought after ski resorts. I will now play a dirge in memoriam of her hopes on the world's tiniest violin

why would someone want to live in a ski resort town?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

etalian posted:

why would someone want to live in a ski resort town?

Unless they are an australian teenager, here to spend trust fund money and spread STD's, I honestly can't think of anything. :shrug:

I would live as a hobo in Squamish during the warm months, but that's different. :v:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I want to live in a ski resort town :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

Unless they are an australian teenager, here to spend trust fund money and spread STD's, I honestly can't think of anything. :shrug:

I would live as a hobo in Squamish during the warm months, but that's different. :v:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Squamish gets too hot in the summer.

But then again, even Vancouver gets too hot in the summer now.

When the housing market crashes Im gonna buy me a summer place in Yellowknife.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/5-problems-with-reviving-downtown-yellowknife-s-empty-dead-hole-1.3223731
Oh delightful Yellowknife.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

he proposed beautifications include:

a gathering circle surrounding a fire pita plaza doubling as both a space for vendors (food trucks, artists) and the site of celebrations like Canada Dayan art studio or gallerythe widening and landscaping of the 50 Street block facing the plaza, which might occasionally be limited to pedestrian trafficlong-awaited public washrooms  

Food trucks in Yellowknife u guys

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I want to live in a ski resort town :(

Burn Whistler to the ground

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dreylad posted:

Burn Whistler to the ground

Whistler owns if you stay out of the village.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Food trucks in Yellowknife u guys

Hey I'm sure it'd be a booming business for like 2 months of the year.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

HookShot posted:

Whistler owns if you stay out of the village.

My in-laws live in creekside and its really nice, but they're retired so they can just ski in the winter and hike in the summer and not worry about rent or jobs and stuff.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the rents as far as I can tell are often similar to what you find in Vancouver (though sometimes you get ridiculous poo poo like people wanting $2.5k for a one bedroom) but the problem is 99% of jobs out there are retail which means that it's really hard to be able to afford to live unless you're willing to basically live on a couch with six other people in a two bedroom place.

Luckily for me my husband and I both work online so we can make it work. The only times we ever go into the village really are if we want to get a sandwich from Ingrid's or if the dog insists on going there to sniff pee during her walks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

HookShot posted:

That poor business owner :(

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

HookShot posted:

Also renting in Whistler is the worst.

http://whistler.craigslist.ca/apa/5216253987.html - 650sqft for $2300/month
http://whistler.craigslist.ca/apa/5215822516.html - want a 3 bedroom place? That'll set you back $3400 a month.
http://whistler.craigslist.ca/apa/5215756585.html - but then again this 2 bedroom is $3000 a month, makes the one above look like a steal!
http://whistler.craigslist.ca/apa/5215340365.html - especially when you consider this one bedroom for $2300 a month, in a building that I'm 99% sure doesn't include parking (Aspens makes even owners pay per night AFAIK)

Also one thing I've noticed is that rental prices in Squamish/Pemberton have soared in the last two years. It used to be the equivalent property was a little over half the price of what you'd pay in Whistler, now you're just looking at a couple hundred less. You used to be able to rent a 2.5 bed place in Squamish for around $1500/month, now you're looking at 2k minimum.

These are some loving absurd prices. Guys move to Estonia, seriously. The weather is just as lovely, people too, but at least real estate is nicer and cheaper. Living in Old Town is a pretty special experience, where some of the houses were built during the time when America was being discovered. For 2000 canadian dollars you can get something that is top notch condition, 1000 sqm+ and probably in a house that's 300+ years old.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

OhYeah posted:

These are some loving absurd prices. Guys move to Estonia, seriously. The weather is just as lovely, people too, but at least real estate is nicer and cheaper. Living in Old Town is a pretty special experience, where some of the houses were built during the time when America was being discovered. For 2000 canadian dollars you can get something that is top notch condition, 1000 sqm+ and probably in a house that's 300+ years old.

Cold, with a slight chance of invasion.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Kafka Esq. posted:

Cold, with a slight chance of invasion.

If Russia decices to invade the Baltics it means nuclear winter around the planet so we're all hosed anyway.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

OhYeah posted:

If Russia decices to invade the Baltics it means nuclear winter around the planet so we're all hosed anyway.

No it doesn't, no one would give a poo poo about Russia invading Estonia, just like no one gives a poo poo about Russia invading Ukraine.

Old Town is nice to visit and all, but if you're basing your entire quality of life based on how nice a property you can afford to rent/buy, you're doing it wrong. I'd never live there, no matter how cheap it was.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

OhYeah posted:

I hear that Georgia has beautiful weather, cheap real estate, and excellent wine.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

I hear that Georgia has beautiful weather, cheap real estate, and excellent wine.

the downside is you how to live around southerners.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

etalian posted:

the downside is you how to live around southerners.

I don't think he meant that Georgia.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

HookShot posted:

I don't think he meant that Georgia.

Georgians are all backwater southerners to Russia...

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

HookShot posted:

No it doesn't, no one would give a poo poo about Russia invading Estonia, just like no one gives a poo poo about Russia invading Ukraine.

Estonia, unlike Ukraine, is a member of NATO. Russia invading Estonia and nobody caring results in the end of NATO and likely a new world order. Many people will care.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

HookShot posted:

On the other hand, NATO is still a thing and Estonia will eat grass and dirt before they lapse in their commitments to it.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 14, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Canada sucks, let's move back to Eastern Europe for a better life said nobody ever.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

eXXon posted:

Canada sucks, let's move back to Eastern Europe for a better life said nobody ever.

I know a few people who specifically moved from Eastern Europe to Toronto.

They like it there.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Brannock posted:

I know a few people who specifically moved from Eastern Europe to Toronto.

They like it there.

Did you mean the other way around? Because otherwise this seems like a pointless and unnecessary reply given the frequency with which it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

eXXon posted:

I'm pretty sure I've said this.