Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

The iPhone 7 is my first iPhone, so excuse me if I come off as ignorance: there is no way to text via computer with an iPhone is there (not a Mac, but in Windows) is there? Being on Android for the last 7 years, I used to use Pushbullet all the time.

I just read a headline about a new Pushbullet-like equivalent for iOS -> Windows/Mac, but I can't remember the name, sorry. And yeah, iMessage uses proprietary encryption so there's no achieving that parity outside of running MacOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Took the fam to the American Car Museum today in Tacoma...

used my wife's 7+ for some photos. Those Reds and Greens, man... (even crazier on the 7 screen.)

http://imgur.com/a/srrhL

[edit] That Chromed-out dashboard was in extremely low light...

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Great photos! Thanks for the share.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Michael Scott posted:

Great photos! Thanks for the share.

Forgot one! (Not particularly colorful, but kind of badass...)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Awesome pics! I'm just camping out in this thread until my 7 plus arrives which isn't until next month :negative:

Trying to do an iCloud backup ahead of the upgrade arriving but not sure if my girlfriend's lovely wifi is hampering this: I assume when I get back on my home super fast fibre things will run more smoothly in this regard?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rick Sanchez posted:

Samsung's phones are literally setting Jeeps on fire but I'm sure the weird iPhone sound will make more news eventually.

Setting jeeps on fire is arguably a public service. I imagine the majority of jeep owners would relish the opportunity to cash in on their insurance and upgrade to a not-Jeep.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Anyone have a recommendation for a good running armband for the 7 Plus? Had a 6 previously and used an armband that my Lifeproof snapped into, but I went with the Saddle Brown leather case this time.

Also, will I wear out this case really quickly if I'm taking it off and putting it back on every other day? I remember reading somewhere the other day that the bottom of the case can become pretty loose on the bottom of the phone over time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I use a belt bag for running with my 6s+, the thing was way too big for my arm, didn't feel good at all.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Yeah, that's a good point. Strapping my 6 to my arm now is already pretty big.

I also just realized that I can actually pair my headphones to my watch and put some music on there, had no idea that was an option. Think I'm going to give that a try and leave my phone at home. This might make me have to upgrade to the drat series 2 watch with GPS...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't notice the phone in the bag around my waist at all when running.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pertplus posted:

You can always swipe to the widgets and click on something to bring up the passcode prompt

Better hope you were in the right application when you locked the screen.

Use your phone for an hour without using the home button and you'll probably figure out why people are annoyed

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Not an ideal solution, but as a workaround you can 3D Touch and drag on the left side of the screen to pull up the application switcher and go back to the home screen.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pretty soon there won't be any cold weather anymore and we'll all just be using our iPhones to navigate the desiccated hellscape of the former American midwest in search of gasoline and potable water.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guzzoline

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Jato posted:

Also, will I wear out this case really quickly if I'm taking it off and putting it back on every other day? I remember reading somewhere the other day that the bottom of the case can become pretty loose on the bottom of the phone over time.

Nope. I do it several times a day and have for well over a year with no issues at all.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
This bluetooth audio bug is annoying the poo poo out of me. You'd think when they decided to remove the headphone jack they'd at least make 100% sure bluetooth would work.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jato posted:

Not an ideal solution, but as a workaround you can 3D Touch and drag on the left side of the screen to pull up the application switcher and go back to the home screen.

I'm struggling to think of a situation where you could interact with the screen but not the home button.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ios10: anyone keep removing "up next" widget only to have it immediately return?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

carry on then posted:

I'm struggling to think of a situation where you could interact with the screen but not the home button.

When you are wearing touchscreen gloves. Because the new home button isn't actually a button. I don't know if this is really a problem or not, but that's how the conversation started.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

3d touch requires capacitance too (no touch event is generated without it), it won't work in any situation where the new home button doesn't work either.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Kaizoku posted:

When you are wearing touchscreen gloves. Because the new home button isn't actually a button. I don't know if this is really a problem or not, but that's how the conversation started.
If you are wearing touchscreen gloves, the new home button will still work the same as before.

The only "loss of functionality" is when you're wearing gloves that aren't meant for touchscreens, and you wanted to press the home button to see your lock screen. However, there's now raise to wake, and you can still press the power button.

Not sure why people think this is a big deal.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Cawd Rud posted:

If you are wearing touchscreen gloves, the new home button will still work the same as before.

The only "loss of functionality" is when you're wearing gloves that aren't meant for touchscreens, and you wanted to press the home button to see your lock screen. However, there's now raise to wake, and you can still press the power button.

Not sure why people think this is a big deal.

Because people always try to find the reason that the newest iPhone has an issue. It must have an issue.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Weedle posted:

Pretty soon there won't be any cold weather anymore and we'll all just be using our iPhones to navigate the desiccated hellscape of the former American midwest in search of gasoline and potable water.

Trump 2016 :911:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Hrrrrmmm... my phone didn't go into Quiet Mode last night even though it was scheduled. It's not tied to the bedtime alarm is it?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

The iPhone 7 is my first iPhone, so excuse me if I come off as ignorance: there is no way to text via computer with an iPhone is there (not a Mac, but in Windows) is there? Being on Android for the last 7 years, I used to use Pushbullet all the time.

If you really specifically mean SMS & iMessage, then you're SOL. However a lot of people use some form of 3rd party messenger and most work between PC & iOS. e.g. Whatsapp lets you access it from your browser.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Is there a way to bulk download my Apple Music library to my phone for offline access? I fly a lot so it's really nice having all my music locally and it didn't all get re-downloaded when restoring from backup.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CoasterMaster posted:

Is there a way to bulk download my Apple Music library to my phone for offline access? I fly a lot so it's really nice having all my music locally and it didn't all get re-downloaded when restoring from backup.
Make a playlist of everything you want and download the playlist with one tap. Probably much easier if you can do it from a computer.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Khablam posted:

If you really specifically mean SMS & iMessage, then you're SOL. However a lot of people use some form of 3rd party messenger and most work between PC & iOS. e.g. Whatsapp lets you access it from your browser.

Yeah I was specifically looking for texting. Oh well!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CoasterMaster posted:

There is a toggle in the Music section of Settings for automatic downloads. It says "Automatically download music when added to your library so you can play it offline," but I don't know whether that applies to music you added before turning that switch on. Seems like it obviously should, but this is Apple we're talking about.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Weedle posted:

There is a toggle in the Music section of Settings for automatic downloads. It says "Automatically download music when added to your library so you can play it offline," but I don't know whether that applies to music you added before turning that switch on. Seems like it obviously should, but this is Apple we're talking about.

Yeah I flipped that toggle, but it didn't appear to go and download everything.

I went with the playlist solution and everything is being pulled down now.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there anything different about the lightning port itself on the 7? Would it be possible to use the headphones in a pre-7 phone?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there anything different about the lightning port itself on the 7? Would it be possible to use the headphones in a pre-7 phone?

No, yes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah there's been lightning headphones for years now

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Ultimately glad I cancelled my jet black order in favour of matte black after seeing the JB iPhone in store. Holy poo poo was it caked in fingerprints. My hands are sweaty enough on a cold day, combined with that phone would have been a nightmare.

Linx fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 19, 2016

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Now that the weekend is over is it possible to walk into an apple store and buy an iphone 7 (not 7+), or am I going to have to wait a few weeks? I'd be signing up for the upgrade program if that makes any difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weedle posted:

Why would "Automatically download music when added to your library" apply to stuff that's already in your library when you turn on the switch? It works exactly as it's written: after turning that on, when you add something to your library, your phone will download it.

Anyway, yes, the easiest way is to make a playlist of stuff you want on the phone, then download that.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Now that the weekend is over is it possible to walk into an apple store and buy an iphone 7 (not 7+), or am I going to have to wait a few weeks? I'd be signing up for the upgrade program if that makes any difference.
Maybe. Not sure how accurate this is, but it supposedly tells you stock of local stores: http://www.istocknow.com/live/

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
My wife's 7 plus has excessive audio and popping when making videos, I assume related to the hissing thing. It was pre-ordered from Tmobile. Can I take this directly to the Apple store or do I need to go through Tmobile?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

TheBuilder posted:

My wife's 7 plus has excessive audio and popping when making videos, I assume related to the hissing thing. It was pre-ordered from Tmobile. Can I take this directly to the Apple store or do I need to go through Tmobile?

Only ever take an apple product to an Apple Store.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can always take Apple products to the Apple Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Only ever take an apple product to an Apple Store.

Not all Apple products. You can take a Mac to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or AASP. I don't know if there's an AASP program for iPhones though, probably is.