Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Crasical posted:

I'mma be honest, I was more interested in this guy when he was a heavily armored cannon man before I started seeing all the weird mutations.

He evolved a little bit, still got a cannon though.

Kly posted:

hmmmmm never went through with this one eh what a surprise tell me more about the statement you creepy MRA incels were trying to make?

That's rude.

But honest answer: he's on the list, the artist just finished playing Doom2016 and really wanted to put the Doom Marine into Darkest Dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm getting more of a Darkness vibe with this guy than doom guy. The concept still owns though.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

yeah sure buddy.
the ridiculous giant titty fortune teller you guys had a temper tantrum about when other people tried to make slightly less embarrassing had top priority but you just coincidently totally lost interest when it came to making an equally silly sexualized male character.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Kly posted:

yeah sure buddy.
the ridiculous giant titty fortune teller you guys had a temper tantrum about when other people tried to make slightly less embarrassing had top priority but you just coincidently totally lost interest when it came to making an equally silly sexualized male character.

The artist has issues with people modifying his work without his permission. We also burnt out on making mods until we came up with something that got us excited to start making them again. Whatever indictment of our character you're looking for isn't there, and I resent you trying to make one up out of whole cloth. Chill out.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Hi everyone, I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I just picked up playing this again after a looong hiatus, just in time for the new expansion! I never even picked up Crimson Court because all I ever heard is it makes the game even more grindy and frustrating. Is that true? I have enough grind and frustration as it is.

Also, I'm interested in how best to tackle Champion-level dungeons. It seems a lot less flexible than previous difficulties, general rules to me seem:

- Must have a healer. Period. And one of the big numbers, arbalest and PD alone don't cut it.
- Must be able to instantly destroy on the first round ranks 3-4. Non-negotiable, I otherwise eat an affliction within battle 3.
- Must have one stun, so as to take out of commission some guy I really don't want acting. More seems superfluous, due to priority being needing to murder ranks 3-4
- Rank 1-2 in my party must be insanely high damage/instakill. I'm growing attached to Hellion Highwayman because of the insane damage and battlefield cover, but hints are welcome. Leper with a focus ring seems to work, but it's really crippled by only being able to hit rank 1-2. Same as the crusader, really.
- I still have trouble getting walled by high prot monsters. I try to bring Blights/Bleeds, but ultimately unless I have one of the marks that diminish it I just waste a long time on it. I'm not sure how else I can be dealing with them.
- I'm torn on stealth, at first I thought it was super garbage and had to be dealt with immediately, but I'm reconsidering now and thinking of just ignoring it

Also, as an aside, Horror is really loving annoying, but I don't know that it's annoying enough to bring laudanum around.

Also it seems that, no matter what, if I eat a few early crits and let a stress dealer survive more than a round, I might as well retreat. Guaranteed early affliction. Maybe I should be bringing jesters, but they really nerfed the gently caress out of them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kly posted:

yeah sure buddy.

If I recall, magic rabbit hat also took issue with the art for that one, so you're barking up the wrong tree my dude

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

mortons stork posted:

Hi everyone, I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I just picked up playing this again after a looong hiatus, just in time for the new expansion! I never even picked up Crimson Court because all I ever heard is it makes the game even more grindy and frustrating. Is that true? I have enough grind and frustration as it is.

I wouldn't say Crimson Court makes things grindier but it does add more content which takes a decent chunk of time to beat--you can alleviate most of the frustration by starting a campaign without the Court portion of the dlc active, and turning it on once you feel confident in where your estate is at. The other two components of the DLC (that you can activate piece-meal) are both entirely beneficial to the player.
The Flagellant is pretty much one of the de-facto best classes in the game since he has like 3 different healing tools that are all extremely powerful and better bleed skills than the jester in most situations.
Districts grant you bonuses that range from "useful" like giving you free food that heals more each mission to the "breaks the game's economy entirely" bank.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kly posted:

hmmmmm never went through with this one eh what a surprise tell me more about the statement you creepy MRA incels were trying to make?

There is no need for this. I think your ire is directed at the wrong person.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Pictured: Steam helpfully informing me that the DLC is not installed, but not telling me how to install it. Anyone know how to solve this?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

I wouldn't say Crimson Court makes things grindier but it does add more content which takes a decent chunk of time to beat--you can alleviate most of the frustration by starting a campaign without the Court portion of the dlc active, and turning it on once you feel confident in where your estate is at. The other two components of the DLC (that you can activate piece-meal) are both entirely beneficial to the player.
The Flagellant is pretty much one of the de-facto best classes in the game since he has like 3 different healing tools that are all extremely powerful and better bleed skills than the jester in most situations.
Districts grant you bonuses that range from "useful" like giving you free food that heals more each mission to the "breaks the game's economy entirely" bank.

Thanks. I'm thinking of picking up the colour of madness later when it comes out, and I may even get myself the other 2 DLCs, at this point.

By the way, anyone got some tips on building a decent weald party? I don't know how to deal well with high prot monsters, beyond murdering the back ranks or bringing an Arbalest to clear out marks, and the encounters with giants and witches loving murder me. I would like a way to prevent Giants from tree-smacking me into death's door. Maybe a marking team? Bounty hunter houndmaster something arbalest? Or is an occultist obligatory here too?

Most other dungeons I've figured out a few tricks, it's mostly about characters having their niches. Occultists in the Cove, plague doctors, well, anywhere really, Highwaymen in the warrens and ruins and so on. I really can't figure a good use for Men-at-Arms though, maybe as a rank 4 support, but that cripples my DPS. Abominations are really great, especially since I love working with an occultist in the back ranks.

Also, some new trinkets I really like are opening up new niches. Love rank 1/2 Vestals with that profane scroll.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

The artist has issues

gawsh

VideoGames posted:

There is no need for this. I think your ire is directed at the wrong person.

there is need for this

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

mortons stork posted:

Thanks. I'm thinking of picking up the colour of madness later when it comes out, and I may even get myself the other 2 DLCs, at this point.

By the way, anyone got some tips on building a decent weald party? I don't know how to deal well with high prot monsters, beyond murdering the back ranks or bringing an Arbalest to clear out marks, and the encounters with giants and witches loving murder me. I would like a way to prevent Giants from tree-smacking me into death's door. Maybe a marking team? Bounty hunter houndmaster something arbalest? Or is an occultist obligatory here too?

Most other dungeons I've figured out a few tricks, it's mostly about characters having their niches. Occultists in the Cove, plague doctors, well, anywhere really, Highwaymen in the warrens and ruins and so on. I really can't figure a good use for Men-at-Arms though, maybe as a rank 4 support, but that cripples my DPS. Abominations are really great, especially since I love working with an occultist in the back ranks.

Also, some new trinkets I really like are opening up new niches. Love rank 1/2 Vestals with that profane scroll.

Many monsters are susceptible to bleed. Houndmasters, Hellions, etc which will bypass prot. Weald has the widest variety of curios of any area too so bring a variety of items just in case. Also keep in mind you tend to have to do the most backtracking in the Weald because of how the rooms are configured (long, straight sequences of rooms with few branches)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

This would make it impossible to complete the Crimson Court.

Invites dudes can stay but everyone else can gently caress right off.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Reality Loser posted:

Invites dudes can stay but everyone else can gently caress right off.

This was simple enough to do, so I went ahead and did it. You can add me on Steam (https://steamcommunity.com/id/AnActualBirdIRL/) and find it in my Workshop files. Fair warning that I haven't had a chance to test it yet (I don't have a lot of time to play DD lately), so if everything breaks let me know and I'll try to fix it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I play on Switch but I appreciate your time.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

paradoxGentleman posted:

Pictured: Steam helpfully informing me that the DLC is not installed, but not telling me how to install it. Anyone know how to solve this?

It unlocks on the 19th

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

This was simple enough to do, so I went ahead and did it. You can add me on Steam (https://steamcommunity.com/id/AnActualBirdIRL/) and find it in my Workshop files. Fair warning that I haven't had a chance to test it yet (I don't have a lot of time to play DD lately), so if everything breaks let me know and I'll try to fix it.

i might actually pick up crimson court now if this works lmao

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

i do not see it in your workshop

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

paradoxGentleman posted:

FrootLoopOfHenle posted:

It unlocks on the 19th

I don't yet have an option to even purchase it in the U.S.--is it already available for purchase in other parts of the world? Or was there some backer tier that entitled you to free copies of all DLC, so Steam automatically added it to your library when a store page was created for it?

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't yet have an option to even purchase it in the U.S.--is it already available for purchase in other parts of the world? Or was there some backer tier that entitled you to free copies of all DLC, so Steam automatically added it to your library when a store page was created for it?

Red Hook gave out Color of Madness DLC codes to the kickstarter backer tiers that received the Musketeer as recompense for making the class available to everyone.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Soup du Journey posted:

i do not see it in your workshop

My Workshop stuff should only be visible to friends; I've accepted a couple invites, so double check.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So is the musketeer available in the game now? I haven't played in forever and never got around to beating it so I'm looking forward to finally playing through the whole thing with all the DLC once the CoM is out.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

I wouldn't say Crimson Court makes things grindier

I would.

The core game areas have small, procedurally-generated maps of maybe 8-15 rooms. Very occasionally, you'll have to backtrack over a hallway you've already been down and face a respawned set of enemies or two.

The Court is a series of maps with 30-50 (?) rooms each, arranged in a maze and separated by extra-long hallways because gently caress you. They feature colored doors with colored keys, which solely exist to force you to walk back and forth across the zip code-sized dungeon while fighting respawning basic enemies over and over. Also the map drains your sanity continuously (but not light) and there's a surprise boss that will probably hose you at least once.

You're expected to retreat and return from each of the maps multiple times (your progress is saved), taking a sanity hit for the failure each time.

If you do get the DLC and include the Court (you can pick and choose what parts of the DLC you want activated), I recommend looking up a map for the levels, unless the early-90s video game colored key hunt sounds like a blast.

The Flagellant is pretty great though, and the Districts are fun, albeit kind of game-breaking.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Minor correction: you don't suffer the normal stress penalty for retreating from the court mega-missions.

I thought the court was fine the first time through but man it really does discourage replays, which is a pretty bad quality in a roguelite.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

Minor correction: you don't suffer the normal stress penalty for retreating from the court mega-missions.

Ah you're right, I misremembered that part.

The art and character designs are still fantastic. I appreciate that they wanted to do something to make the Court different, I just wish they went in a way that didn't suck.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 15, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
I didn't have much of a problem with the mosquito enemies appearing in other dungeons. They're pretty vulnerable to bleed and disease resist can help prevent you from catching the curse (at least on missions).

Also a blood raged Flagellant seesawing on Deaths Door with Martyrs seal is hilariously strong assuming he decides to point himself in the correct direction.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
the crimson court fixed dungeons could have hallways that are about half their current size without losing anything. the other problem is that the enemies are designed such that only a narrow set of strategies (bleed and riposte) is truly effective - anything else, i've found, is taking a huge risk. the enemies also don't abide by the same restrictions as most other enemies in the game - they can typically hit any rank from any rank and use the same attack from every rank.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZkmC8ucFkI

New district building gives "No More Random Hunger Checks" :o:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Count Uvula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZkmC8ucFkI

New district building gives "No More Random Hunger Checks" :o:
Reddit noticed something awesome, one of the parties in the trailer is a Crusader+Abomination.:getin:
https://www.reddit.com/r/darkestdungeon/comments/8rdtgb/i_noticed_in_the_new_trailer_that_the_abomination/

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
does the musketeer replace the arbalest or are they both recruitable at the same time?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I haven't played this game since before The Crimson Court released. How's the workshop situation? Is there a healthy variety of good class mods?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Azran posted:

I haven't played this game since before The Crimson Court released. How's the workshop situation? Is there a healthy variety of good class mods?

if by healthy you mean enormous chested.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theres some good mods

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's time for that one image i keep posting

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's time for that one image i keep posting

Disgusting.

They could have at least used a serif.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
4th screenshot down: I too would like to have that butt in my face until I die

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
down boy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's the campfire picture that really makes me lol. Like drat lady do you really need the heat that bad

edit: Nothin like a nice sexy deep squat to round off a day of getting covered in blood and guts and poison.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly for me the greatest sin is it just doesnt mesh w the look of the game at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is also my problem w spurps titty class