Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
That t5 konig looks pretty solid with good accuracy, sigma, and shell speed. However, compared to it, the bayern at t6 looks horrible. Terrible accuracy and such just to get some shell size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

NTRabbit posted:

Not including gift ships, the US has 9 premiums, Soviets 8, IJN 6, Germany 3, but it should be noted that at least 2 of the Soviet ones are so lolOP that they'll never be sold again.

But for reasons only 3 US premiums are purchasable.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've a feeling they'll sell the Grem again...they'll just make it horrendously overpriced - make you pay Tirpitz prices for a T5 DD.

I bet we'll see the Grem show up in a limited $99 package at some point.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The German battleships look like they'd be fun to run secondary builds on.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Oh, the tier VII has torps? I thought that was only going to be a "Premium BB" thing.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

El Disco posted:

Oh, the tier VII has torps? I thought that was only going to be a "Premium BB" thing.

it might have been a concession to people who were bitching about not getting the historical guns.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008
Sometimes the matchmaker does some weird poo poo, but it works out in your favor:

I don't remember ever seeing a game where the battleships were that under tiered.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JCFalkenberg posted:

Sometimes the matchmaker does some weird poo poo, but it works out in your favor:

I don't remember ever seeing a game where the battleships were that under tiered.

I honestly had no idea the Cleveland was alive. I could have lowered my heart rate a bit at the end maybe.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've a feeling they'll sell the Grem again...they'll just make it horrendously overpriced - make you pay Tirpitz prices for a T5 DD.

if my gremmy made tirpitz-level dosh I'd pay that much for it in a heartbeat

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Mikasa es su casa.

But now I've ground the ship out, what are the chances I never actually use the drat thing? I seem to do it every time there is a grind mission; get fed up before the end but still plough on, and then not have much use for the reward ship.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The couple of times I have run into the Asian Plate Ship it did not last long..

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I don't know why WG couldn't have the historical guns on the Gneisenau as an option. Make them somewhere between CA and BB guns in reload speed and damage.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
a brief summary of the stuff on the test server and patch by jingles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCL1rpMcNyE

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MoraleHazard posted:

I don't know why WG couldn't have the historical guns on the Gneisenau as an option. Make them somewhere between CA and BB guns in reload speed and damage.

Yeah, I'd love to run it as a cruiser killer.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Clarence posted:

Mikasa es su casa.

But now I've ground the ship out, what are the chances I never actually use the drat thing? I seem to do it every time there is a grind mission; get fed up before the end but still plough on, and then not have much use for the reward ship.

It's a very gimmicky ship and the gimmick isn't too strong. It has loads of secondaries but they have a very short range and are incredibly inaccurate, at least against non-BBs. I played one game in it with a 15pt captain that had manual secondaries and my secondaries had a 4% hit rate.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, I'd love to run it as a cruiser killer.

I think Navyfield handled this as having two different ships in the tree remodel wise, based on year.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Do folks still division regularly? It's been a long time since I've played with anyone else, but I figure it's time to get back into it. I'm not too horrible and have ships from tier 6 to tier 9.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Do folks still division regularly? It's been a long time since I've played with anyone else, but I figure it's time to get back into it. I'm not too horrible and have ships from tier 6 to tier 9.

I try to division up most nights.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

They are available as an option.
As a premium ship.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I div but I haven't played since beta and only came back 6 days ago, so I'm only up to 5.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Played another game in the Mikasa. 5% secondary hit rate, again with the secondary flag and a captain that has Manual Secondaries. I get the feeling that the secondaries are only good when you're literally right next to another ship. And the Main guns are probably the most inaccurate guns in the entire game. It makes the Myogi look like a loving sniper.

It is a bad ship that can be less bad if you're in the perfect situation, i.e. 1-2km away from ships that don't have torpedoes and aren't so numerous that they can plink you down to nothing before you can fire the main guns twice.

e: 3.8km range on the secondaries with the 5% boost from the flag, fyi.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 21, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

There's a few new guys like me hanging around too, although I haven't played in a couple of days since I have a case of gaming ADD. I'll probably be back again soon.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So I have to ask. Is the yorck kind of the downside in the german cruiser line in terms of shell flight characteristics? The Nurnberg and Konigsberg were both amazing ships for me. Fairly durable and amazingly flat trajectory. The yorck on the other hand seems to desire moon shots. Is this something I'm going to be dealing with further up the line, or do the shells flatten back out after the yorck leaving it being the odd duckling in the german line to do it?

Going by velocity, it would seem so as the nurn was 980m/s while the yorck is 900m/s. However, guns after the yorck all hang around 925m/s.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

JuffoWup posted:

So I have to ask. Is the yorck kind of the downside in the german cruiser line in terms of shell flight characteristics? The Nurnberg and Konigsberg were both amazing ships for me. Fairly durable and amazingly flat trajectory. The yorck on the other hand seems to desire moon shots. Is this something I'm going to be dealing with further up the line, or do the shells flatten back out after the yorck leaving it being the odd duckling in the german line to do it?

Going by velocity, it would seem so as the nurn was 980m/s while the yorck is 900m/s. However, guns after the yorck all hang around 925m/s.

It's different then the other KM CL for sure. Use HE if you're above 9-10km and burn. If you get close unless some hell with the AP.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

pnutz posted:

a brief summary of the stuff on the test server and patch by jingles [vid]

I thought smoke screens always blocked LoS if they were between an enemy ship and yourself?

I just unlocked the Fuso and coming off the Kongo has been really painful. I really don't think 4 additional peashooters make up for for losing the Kongo's fantastic speed and manoeuvrability, not to mention that with the stock hull you're basically a WW1 dreadnought with a 13km range going up against tier 8 battleships :smithicide:.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? So far in 3 games i've been at the bottom tier and get killed before get within firing range (or even before I can reach the cover of an island).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

MoraleHazard posted:

Apparently WG wasn't too happy with how the Mogami turned out so they want to avoid large gun changes. Alternatively, if you want to be cynical about it you can assume they did it to help drive Sharnhorst sales.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

All you people drooling over the grem... go ahead and earn it.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/88258-tier-v-cruiser-weeklong-competition/page__p__2152020#entry2152020

I don't think it's that great btw, kind of boring.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Insert name here posted:

Apparently WG wasn't too happy with how the Mogami turned out so they want to avoid large gun changes. Alternatively, if you want to be cynical about it you can assume they did it to help drive Sharnhorst sales.

I mean if you believe them, the Scharnhorst is a balanced tier 7 with the historical guns and three torpedoes on each side and the Gneisenau is balanced with 3x2 15" and no torpedoes. It seems unlikely that three nazi torpedoes make enough difference that they couldn't both work as configurations for the same ship. Whatever they do to balance both the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, I figure they could have done instead to balance the 11" and 15" Scharnhorst models.

I think the most likely answer is that they did it so they could sell premium Scharnhorsts to wehraboos. Or to be more cynical, the warships team really likes releasing high tier premiums that are better than the non-premium counterparts so they tested both configurations, decided the 11" one was better and chose that for the premium ship.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Latin Pheonix posted:

I just unlocked the Fuso and coming off the Kongo has been really painful. I really don't think 4 additional peashooters make up for for losing the Kongo's fantastic speed and manoeuvrability, not to mention that with the stock hull you're basically a WW1 dreadnought with a 13km range going up against tier 8 battleships :smithicide:.
I thought the general rule was to free-xp past the first hull of low/mid tier BBs?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Note that the Gneisenau has apparently been massively overperforming on the test server, so nerfs for it are probably incoming. Dropping it down to 11" guns are probably at least one possible choice, though admittedly probably not one WG will go with.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Latin Pheonix posted:

I thought smoke screens always blocked LoS if they were between an enemy ship and yourself?

Any suggestions as to what I can do? So far in 3 games i've been at the bottom tier and get killed before get within firing range (or even before I can reach the cover of an island).

The Kongo and Fuso are both ships that are honestly kind of painful to grind out (IMO the Kongo less so because you're more likely to fight things with similar max ranges while stock), but get absolutely loving amazing once you get the 2nd hull, as that solves like 95% of the problem right there. Sadly, until you get that hull, it's pretty impotent outside of about 10km. I do find it a bit strange that you get killed before you can fire a shot or get into cover, as even when stock it's still fairly tough. What sort of things are killing you that fast?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Actually, I think I'll take a break from this for a while. It's been more frustrating than fun lately, especially with the Izumo.

To be honest, this game is rarely fun, it just rubs some normally latent autistic part of my brain that keeps going "gotta get the ship"

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Clarence posted:

I thought the general rule was to free-xp past the first hull of low/mid tier BBs?

I don't have enough free xp :-/. I knew that the A hull Fuso was bad but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

quote:

The Kongo and Fuso are both ships that are honestly kind of painful to grind out (IMO the Kongo less so because you're more likely to fight things with similar max ranges while stock), but get absolutely loving amazing once you get the 2nd hull, as that solves like 95% of the problem right there. Sadly, until you get that hull, it's pretty impotent outside of about 10km. I do find it a bit strange that you get killed before you can fire a shot or get into cover, as even when stock it's still fairly tough. What sort of things are killing you that fast?

The stock hull is fairly tough, but it can still take only so much damage before finally collapsing. The biggest problem is that I'm facing Hull B/C fusos and/or Colorados (or better) who can easily outrange me and kite me (stock engine, yay). Even NMs which are supposed to be on par with the Fuso seem to hit harder and from further than I can reach (I vaguely remember them having crap range, but I guess it's not as bad as the Fuso's!). I'm pretty sure the battleships can see quite clearly that I'm hull A so I think they just see an xp and credit piñata and focus me down. In most games, my options are limited: stay out of range (which keeps me completely out of the fight) or charge in using the cover as best as possible (the option I'm trying) which subjects me to withering fire before I finally get into a range, maybe fire off a salvo if I feel suicidal enough to turn broadside, then die. Essentially the choice is either to die surrounded by the enemy early on when I try to close the distance or die surrounded by the enemy when my team dies because it was one battleship short the whole game.

Also when you're really reliant on cover, you start to notice just how little there is an how inadequate it is for a battleship.

In terms of other ships I find that cruisers all outrange me and can easily kite me, making them an annoyance I can't retaliate against, while the terrible speed and abysmal rudder shift makes me an easy target for destroyers and carriers. It seems like there is nothing I can do in a match to help my team; I'm too slow/easy to hit to cap, I can't defend anything (or I'll get bombarded beyond my range) and I can't fight any other class of ship. This really feels like you're in a WW1 dreadnought fighting WW2 ships, the Fuso is just hopelessly outclassed by everything on the field.

I think I might just bite the bullet, buy some doubloons and free-xp my way out of Hull A (or the Fuso entirely if I can afford it).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

One side gets 2 Kageros and a Benson. Other side gets 2 Fletchers, 1 Tashkent and a Sims. "Balanced."

Admittedly the complete poo poo CV didn't help either.

edit: Next battle. 1 side gets 2 Kageros, other gets 2 Fletchers. How loving hard is it to equalize nations?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

One side gets 2 Kageros and a Benson. Other side gets 2 Fletchers, 1 Tashkent and a Sims. "Balanced."

Admittedly the complete poo poo CV didn't help either.

edit: Next battle. 1 side gets 2 Kageros, other gets 2 Fletchers. How loving hard is it to equalize nations?

That is the kind of crap that irritates me to no end. Especially since I'll get the team full of cement huffers who see a torpedo and run away thinking if is a DD of some sort. And don't shoot back. Meanwhile, they all seem to expect me in a mutsuki to shoot back and kill them. Except the enemy DDs are specialized gunboats. My roll is to sneak around and stab enemy battleships in the back. I can't do that when my team runs away and wants me to defend them against enemy DD that I can't do. So you get a messed up balance of nations followed by a team that expects DDs to do all the screening for them.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Latin Pheonix posted:

I don't have enough free xp :-/. I knew that the A hull Fuso was bad but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

I think I might just bite the bullet, buy some doubloons and free-xp my way out of Hull A (or the Fuso entirely if I can afford it).

The A hull is bad, but I remember grinding through it on the beta server and main server. It can be done, although granted I did so back when fewer people had a handle on the game, and mistakes were made way more often (not that people don't gently caress up regularly still though). Free-XP past the A hull if you must, but I wouldn't pass the entire Fuso up; it is honestly a joy to play once you have it's 20+km range. It's one of my keeper ships actually.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The big problem at T9 in particular is that the Fletcher utterly outclasses the Kagero. Far better guns, nearly as good concealment, better health and faster. Kagero gets longer-ranged, very slightly more damaging torpedoes, but Fletcher both gets more of them AND they're spotted later, making them harder to dodge. 10.5 km for Fletcher's torps is also perfectly long enough 90% of the time. Oh, and not complete poo poo AA for "historical" reasons.

The constant nerfs to IJN torpedoes in particular due to retards who can't figure out how to strategically plan around them has caused issues to trying to play IJN destroyers at higher tiers. gently caress the whiners, Long Lances should be some of the hardest to spot torpedoes in the game, not nearly the easiest.

The poo poo team disparities like that are especially noticeable on Domination, since DDs are expected to cap, and when one team is only getting IJN destroyers, and the other team is getting a shitload of US ones, it's incredibly hard for the IJN ones to even contest caps, let alone grab them.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 21, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

The big problem at T9 in particular is that the Fletcher utterly outclasses the Kagero. Far better guns, nearly as good concealment, better health and faster. Kagero gets longer-ranged, very slightly more damaging torpedoes, but Fletcher both gets more of them AND they're spotted later, making them harder to dodge. 10.5 km for Fletcher's torps is also perfectly long enough 90% of the time. Oh, and not complete poo poo AA for "historical" reasons.

The constant nerfs to IJN torpedoes in particular due to retards who can't figure out how to strategically plan around them has caused issues to trying to play IJN destroyers at higher tiers. gently caress the whiners, Long Lances should be some of the hardest to spot torpedoes in the game, not nearly the easiest.

The poo poo team disparities like that are especially noticeable on Domination, since DDs are expected to cap, and when one team is only getting IJN destroyers, and the other team is getting a shitload of US ones, it's incredibly hard for the IJN ones to even contest caps, let alone grab them.

Yup. I've seen it many times even in the mid tiers. Also, I noticed that about the torp counts. The us move from a very gun focused DD to a more dual role at around the tier 7 mark. They keep their torp counts up, but start getting longer ranged torps that can actually be shot from beyond spotting range. As for the fletcher vs kagero thing, I don't doubt it one bit honestly. The kagero's thing is supposed to be the hilariously high stealth, but it isn't going to be that far off from a fletcher or the rus dd I forget the name of. Each nation has weird penalties placed on their DDs it seems. Rus DDs get that gun visibility penalty. Jap DDs suffer from high spotting of their torps. And then there is the US. I guess their issue is their arc and low caliber making it purely a HE flinger.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
If you only ever sling HE from your US DDs you're missing out on hilarious amounts of citadel ribbons from broadside cruisers.

James Garfield posted:

I mean if you believe them, the Scharnhorst is a balanced tier 7 with the historical guns and three torpedoes on each side and the Gneisenau is balanced with 3x2 15" and no torpedoes. It seems unlikely that three nazi torpedoes make enough difference that they couldn't both work as configurations for the same ship. Whatever they do to balance both the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, I figure they could have done instead to balance the 11" and 15" Scharnhorst models.

I think the most likely answer is that they did it so they could sell premium Scharnhorsts to wehraboos. Or to be more cynical, the warships team really likes releasing high tier premiums that are better than the non-premium counterparts so they tested both configurations, decided the 11" one was better and chose that for the premium ship.
On my phone atm so I can't get the dev QA where they talked about it but iirc balance wasn't cited as the reason but rather how they play in relation to the rest of the line and that, going forward, they would rather have the lines be more internally consistent. I mean, I don't know if I believe it, but it seems plausible enough on the surface at least.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they held the 11-inch back just for the premium but people would be buying it regardless so I dunno. :shrug:

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
It's probably a lack of understanding of late-tier, but I bought a Tirpitz on a whim and it's been... painful. I do more damage on average with a Svietlana. It's a constant stream of Tier VIII-X games that are 45/40/10/5 BB/DD/CL/CV split where you either get invisi-burned/torped or end up facing a Montana/Yamato.

Nagato feels nowhere near as painful since it's usually in VI-VIII games with more even mix of ship types. Is this just early confirmation bias?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Getting close to the Izumo. As bad as it used to be or decent now?