Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have managed not to throw my controller since the time I put some divots in the drywall with my ds2 playing Twisted Metal black like 8 years ago.

But my brief stint at LoL also caused me to break some things. That was during my straight vodka years. That was a very dark time for everyone in my life. Mostly for me though.

I may have plenty of problems with my brain. Unhealthy thought patterns... Incorrect mental formations... But I've come a long way from throwing poo poo and yelling with uncontrollable rage like 6-8 years ago me. I practically act like an adult...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't think I've ever thrown a controller, they are expensive. I have punched my chair arms quite a few times in frustration through. One time I punched my table and one of the little legs on my keyboard broke because of it, but that's the extent of any damage I have caused from game frustration.

I thought about throwing my controller after dying 200 times to Tachibana Muneshige but I just took a couple of deep breaths and recentered myself. I credit that with my eventual victory.

Get a punching bag. Or do some pushups, let the salt flow

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I always used to chuck controllers at the couch until I missed and broke one a few months ago when I bounced it off the floor, and I've actually been restrained about it for the first time ever. It's a very dumb feeling breaking something you paid $60 for, for no good reason .

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You all need help

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

👀

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Snak posted:

I'm jusy mad and frustrated for a lot of other reasons.

I would never actually wish physical violence on someone over a videogame.

I think this is the first time I've played Yakuza 0 sober ever. I usually don't mix an match that sort of thing. I have drinking activities and sober activities. It's very hard to pick up an unfinished drinking activity when I'm sober, and I'm committed to being sober until I graduate and get a job.

I still haven't gotten my tax refund, I just got my first rejection letter today, and I'm hungry all the time.

I soend my nights drifting in and out of consciousness freaking out about my job history, because it's different in the dream world. In the dream world, I had to go back to fast food and I got a job at a place called Lucky*s. It doesn't exist, but I worked there briefly. It's across the street from a gas station that also doesn't exist, but it's where I buy booze when I dream that I'm not able to control my drinking. I often dream that walk oit of my job and go start drinking. Or that I start drinking on the way to work.

Then I wake up and none of that has happened. Again. Probably my least favorite recurring dream continuity, because its similarities to reality make it the most confusing.

Snak posted:

Yeah, I have managed not to throw my controller since the time I put some divots in the drywall with my ds2 playing Twisted Metal black like 8 years ago.

But my brief stint at LoL also caused me to break some things. That was during my straight vodka years. That was a very dark time for everyone in my life. Mostly for me though.

I may have plenty of problems with my brain. Unhealthy thought patterns... Incorrect mental formations... But I've come a long way from throwing poo poo and yelling with uncontrollable rage like 6-8 years ago me. I practically act like an adult...

go back to drinking because you're slightly less insufferable that way

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm a heavy drinker, diagnosed and been to treatment and all that poo poo and yet when a game makes me mad I just close it and watch netflix and jerk off or text chicks drunk poo poo idk no reason to get mad about it they're just dumb games

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
to be clear i'm a terrible person but there is no reason break poo poo over video games

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I slap my table with my right hand, spread my legs wide, put my left hand on the left kne, lean into it and shout "gosh darn it all to heck" while shaking my head when i lose in rocket league. The controller i leave levitating near my right side while i do this.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
you should consider destroying your house idk???

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i platinumed yakuza 3 and that involved a lot of minigame poo poo and it is frustrating as gently caress though I will admit especially the pool

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Theoretically there is nothing wrong with bouncing a controller off a couch cushion.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

veni veni veni posted:

I forgot how ridiculous the beginning of dying light it. Doesn't help I started on hard but the amount of health enemies have is completely absurd.

You're meant to increase the difficulty when you're a higher level, akin to Diablo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Little bit late for Souls chat but I wanted to mention that I very recently replayed Demon's Souls and Jesus is that a short game, took me 12 hours start to finish, and that's with a lot of dying in 4-2 because gently caress that level. Way back it felt big but now after the more recent game it seems tiny.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which one is 4-2, poison death swamp?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

to be clear i'm a terrible person but there is no reason break poo poo over video games

Getting stomped by Disley final form while underleveled and having saved over the last grindable part and having trashed the only good items to bring at the final battle is the only exception to that rule. Broke a sixaxis over it. I would never wish anyone to play FFXIII twice, not even to my enemies.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Second shrine of storms I think?

Yeah it's super short. I did it in about 20 hours with nearly everything done.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nah poison swamp is 5-2, I didn't die at all there.

4-2 is the Shrine of Storms with the phantasm things that shoot unblockable lasers and the skeletons which roll into you on the precarious cliffside. Worst run back in the game IMO.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
My favorite thing about Demons Souls is that they hadn't figured out game balance yet so you could make this ridiculous regen build that made you nigh indestructible once you beat the Adjudicator I think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah yeah, no shortcut and nothing but thin ledges with no room to manoeuvre, very glad it only took me a couple of goes to beat that boss.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

I just identified the kinds of things that were pissing me off and stopped playing them. So, like discovering im just not that good at multilayer PvP stuff. So PvE it was from then.

It's worked wonders.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon 2 really needs to have a cute watcher companion that teaches Aloy the power of friendship.

If they really wanted to up the ante, Horizon 2 takes you to the ocean and you hunt robot whales with harpoons on canoes

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I used to be a bit of a controller thrower but bloodborne changed all that. My gameing is now very zen

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

I used to be a bit of a controller thrower but bloodborne changed all that. My gameing is now very zen
Games where death is like an old friend definitely help with that, yeah.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Theoretically there is nothing wrong with bouncing a controller off a couch cushion.

I did this once with a game cartridge i was mad at and it flew up and put a hole in a japanese silk screen hanging behind the couch and my mom was sad so i have been zen about games these past 27 or so years since that happened

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
speaking of controller throwing is there a trick to downing the orphan of kos? gently caress this guy and his stupid crazy aggressive phase 2. I'm about to walk away and just dive into Horizons.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Horn posted:

speaking of controller throwing is there a trick to downing the orphan of kos? gently caress this guy and his stupid crazy aggressive phase 2. I'm about to walk away and just dive into Horizons.

Summon help i guess. He was the only boss too tough for me

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Buying a sub to PS+ just for help in BB seems kind of silly but I'm not above whoring myself out to finish that guy off.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Now when I get frustrated with video games I just put the game down and do something else. Used to get really flustered and frustrated with games, but I have a lot less patience for that stuff now. I'm no where near as good as I used to be at video games though, so if your goal is to get good then I'd suggest at least not breaking things.

Also a good mantra is "it's just video games". I apply this to most things in my life now and it helps a lot with feeling frustrated in general.

Edit: also bloodborne may be one of my favorite games of all time. The more I think about it the more that game more than any other souls game comes to memory first and foremost, though I played much more ds 1 and 2.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 17, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Horn posted:

Move into the sea where it's flat, if he does his electricity thing the epicentre is always Kos' body so the further away from that you are the better, don't get greedy and dodge a lot.

There's not much in the way of advice unfortunately since it's 80% being able to dodge properly and 20% luck. Or if you're me 100+ attempts and probability working in my favour.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sakurazuka posted:

Move into the sea where it's flat, if he does his electricity thing the epicentre is always Kos' body so the further away from that you are the better, don't get greedy and dodge a lot.

There's not much in the way of advice unfortunately since it's 80% being able to dodge properly and 20% luck. Or if you're me 100+ attempts and probability working in my favour.

Is this boss optional? I'm not really having all that much fun with BB (just made it to the hidden village proper) and am thinking of moving on to something else. If there's not that many areas left I might finish it but I have no patience for bullshit bosses.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Is this boss optional? I'm not really having all that much fun with BB (just made it to the hidden village proper) and am thinking of moving on to something else. If there's not that many areas left I might finish it but I have no patience for bullshit bosses.

You're in the DLC. All of it is optional.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Snak posted:

I am gonna go to Japan, find the person who made darts in Yakuza 0, and put a dart in their loving skull.

I've spent like 15 loving hours on this thing and it's bullshit. I finally got the best darts in the game, and they make almost no difference. This guy is a hustling rear end in a top hat. And you can't even retry immediately because you're still drunk.

Such a loving waste of time.

There's darts is Yakuza 0?!?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Renoistic posted:

It's the end boss of the DLC so 100% optional

If you're a wuss

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If you have no patience just summon other players.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Renoistic posted:

If you're just in the hidden village, go back and finish a few more areas. Orphan is for the very end of the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Orphan's like post-final boss difficulty. Definitely the hardest challenge in the game.

...except for Defiled Amygdala. :argh:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, Orphan's like post-final boss difficulty. Definitely the hardest challenge in the game.

...except for Defiled Amygdala. :argh:

Truth after replaying the game to do the dlc. He took me a good few hours. I then aced the boss and the real boss. So easy in comparison.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

You're meant to increase the difficulty when you're a higher level, akin to Diablo.

You can't change the difficulty once you start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

veni veni veni posted:

You can't change the difficulty once you start.

It's on the main menu.