Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
e: this should really be in the Plex thread

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Greatest Living Man posted:

There was one error I encountered specific to WSL Ubuntu with installing a python package that seemed to not have a solution. How does the linuxulator work? Is it possible to install in a FreeBSD jail?
That's one hell of an edge-case. Did you reach out to benhillis on Twitter? He's one of the people behind it. I've talked with him a few times, he's very open about wanting to have 100% coverage of Linux, so would likely be interested in edge-cases.

Linuxulator is a kernel module that simply translates code based on path, if I recall correctly. It's defaults to /compat/linux, but it's build-time configurable. It's not just possible to run it in a jail, it's very strongly recommended for the process, filesystem, SysV IPC and network isolation that jails provide.
/compat exists in hier(7) and is/was also used for BSD43 and iBCS for compatibility with BSD, Xenix, SCO Unix, and Unix System 5 Release 4 respectively, so it kinda makes sense to keep it there even in jails.

mystes
May 31, 2006

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Thank you! I've installed Ubuntu this way

I apologize, and please bear with me as I am new to Linux. I am stuck on number 4. How do I save the python code there? I took your code, and saved it into a text document that I renamed dumpedb.py all in Windows 10 but I have no idea how to save it to that folder, as I appear to just be looking at commands:

I'm pretty stupid and thought this was gonna be some sort of virtual mode that had a GUI and a desktop and stuff, but I guess Ubuntu isn't that. No big deal, I just have absolutely no idea how to "access" /home/ubuntu/

Again sorry for these stupid questions
Normal ubuntu has a desktop GUI and everything, but there are some added complexities when using WSL so it doesn't bother with that by default.

I think the C drive is supposed to be mounted as /mnt/c/ in WSL, so you should be able to run python3 /mnt/c/path/to/dumpedb.py (tab completion should probably work) and the paths in the script should also be in the format /mnt/c/whatever

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

If I recall correctly, it is actually possible to install a desktop environment in WSL and connect to it using VNC - it's just not there by default.

For transferring files into WSL, check /mnt. You should be able to see your host system's drives there listed by letter and accessible for copying files to/from your Linux filesystem.

You can install an X server (cygwin, vcxsrv, xming) and any X applications that you install into your WSL instance. Cywgin has the best x server IMO but it can be fussy with the $DISPLAY and .Xauthority.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Eletriarnation posted:

For transferring files into WSL, check /mnt. You should be able to see your host system's drives there listed by letter and accessible for copying files to/from your Linux filesystem.

Thank you! I'm almost there!

I am getting this error:

lunix@server-PC:~$ python3 /mnt/c/lunix/dumpedb.py
OSError: pyesedb_file_open: unable to open file. libcfile_file_open_with_error_code: no such file: /mnt/C/lunix/Windows.edb. libcfile_file_open: unable to open file. libbfio_file_open: unable to open file: /mnt/C/lunix/Windows.edb. libbfio_handle_open: unable to open handle. libesedb_file_open_file_io_handle: unable to open file IO handle. libesedb_file_open: unable to open file: /mnt/C/lunix/Windows.edb.

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/mnt/c/lunix/dumpedb.py", line 5, in <module>
d = pyesedb.open("/mnt/C/lunix/Windows.edb")
SystemError: <built-in function open> returned a result with an error set
lunix@server-PC:~$

I am trying to figure out where the mistake is. I tried removing /mnt/. I have a C:\lunix folder on my Windows 10 machine with the appropriate files in there, so I am guessing I just messed up the path in the script somehow?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm not really sure, but instead of giving the full path as an argument you can make sure you're in the right place by 'cd'-ing to the destination directory and just using the filename. If that doesn't work then I would assume there's something about the host filesystem mount that Python dislikes, and would recommend trying to copy the files you're working on into the Linux filesystem from /mnt instead of trying to run the mounted files directly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Winbuntu is the worst and corrupts your data silently if you try to do anything between the two OS's. At least the version I used 2 years ago. Seems like there is a caching layer that it doesn't handle gracefully through the abstration which led to files being written partially by two programs. (File open in Atom, hit save, run it in Winbuntu, errors, look at the file, it's obviously a corrupted save with partial data.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thank you! I'm almost there!

I am getting this error:

lunix@server-PC:~$ python3 /mnt/c/lunix/dumpedb.py
OSError: pyesedb_file_open: unable to open file. libcfile_file_open_with_error_code: no such file: /mnt/C/lunix/Windows.edb. libcfile_file_open: unable to open file. libbfio_file_open: unable to open file: /mnt/C/lunix/Windows.edb. libbfio_handle_open: unable to open handle. libesedb_file_open_file_io_handle: unable to open file IO handle. libesedb_file_open: unable to open file: /mnt/C/lunix/Windows.edb.

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/mnt/c/lunix/dumpedb.py", line 5, in <module>
d = pyesedb.open("/mnt/C/lunix/Windows.edb")
SystemError: <built-in function open> returned a result with an error set
lunix@server-PC:~$

I am trying to figure out where the mistake is. I tried removing /mnt/. I have a C:\lunix folder on my Windows 10 machine with the appropriate files in there, so I am guessing I just messed up the path in the script somehow?
Try making the C in /mnt/c lowercase. Also, you might want to check whether Windows.edb appears as uppercase or lowercase in wsl (do "ls /mnt/c/lunix" and check) although this may not matter (WSL might mount the c drive as case insensitive but I'm not sure).

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 12, 2019

frh
Dec 6, 2014

mystes posted:

Try making the C in /mnt/c lowercase. Also, you might want to check whether Windows.edb appears as uppercase or lowercase in wsl (do "ls /mnt/c/lunix" and check) although this may not matter (WSL might mount the c drive as case insensitive but I'm not sure).

Thanks! I changed it to lowercase, and now it looks like it might be doing something? An output_file.txt was created, but after 20 minutes it's still at 0 bytes. It looks like I can still type stuff in the Linux window, though it's not accepting commands, so maybe it's just doing some background work and I have to wait a while? Not sure why the txt document is not getting larger, though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks! I changed it to lowercase, and now it looks like it might be doing something? An output_file.txt was created, but after 20 minutes it's still at 0 bytes. It looks like I can still type stuff in the Linux window, though it's not accepting commands, so maybe it's just doing some background work and I have to wait a while? Not sure why the txt document is not getting larger, though.

Maybe check task manager and see if the HD or CPU is doing stuff.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

redeyes posted:

Maybe check task manager and see if the HD or CPU is doing stuff.

Good idea! The Linux window is using 0% but it says python 3 is using about 4% (it's going up and down between 2-4%) so I am guessing that's a good thing :)

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Winbuntu is the worst and corrupts your data silently if you try to do anything between the two OS's. At least the version I used 2 years ago. Seems like there is a caching layer that it doesn't handle gracefully through the abstration which led to files being written partially by two programs. (File open in Atom, hit save, run it in Winbuntu, errors, look at the file, it's obviously a corrupted save with partial data.)

The WSL folks were pretty clear about this when it came out, and then there was this repeat of the warning : https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2016/11/17/do-not-change-linux-files-using-windows-apps-and-tools/

And there is no problem editing files on /mnt/C/whatever from the WSL side.

But they now/in the next release have a way to edit the WSL files from Windows: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2019/02/15/whats-new-for-wsl-in-windows-10-version-1903/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ChiralCondensate posted:

The WSL folks were pretty clear about this when it came out, and then there was this repeat of the warning : https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2016/11/17/do-not-change-linux-files-using-windows-apps-and-tools/

I disagree that some random blog post makes that clear.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

H110Hawk posted:

I disagree that some random blog post makes that clear.

That was plastered all over the official instructions for enabling WSL. The fact that you could dig down and access the files that unsafe way at all isn't great but probably unavoidable? And they didn't make it easy for that reason.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

The Milkman posted:

That was plastered all over the official instructions for enabling WSL.
Sorry, this is what I meant to emphasize in my first point, not so much the blog post.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
1 Day to go on the Unraid trial and, sincerely, my mind isn't made up. I'm not sure it's reducing my CJing over Ubuntu server but I really do see the potential, especially in regard to home centric VMs (I.e. I won't be getting a gaming PC any time soon but could get a graphics card, more ram and do it occasionally on this).

Unraid state you can have two 15 day trial extensions. Has anyone actually done this? I think I'm going to request more time if it's relatively easy.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Having an issue with my DS216j. The upstream over LAN seems to be dropping in speed every so often – enough that 4K MKV files are buffering, but not 1080p MKVs. I can watch this happening in DSM. My other Synology NAS isn't having any issues. The drives both pass SMART and I seem to be having the problem on both of them. Any ideas as to what I should check for next?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 13, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mystes posted:

If you can install python and the python libesedb bindings (you can probably install them somehow in windows, otherwise in wsl or booting from an ubuntu usb stick run "apt-get install python3-libesedb").

Run the following (with python3 if using wsl/ubuntu), changing the paths in the top two lines as appropriate:
code:
edb_file = "/path/to/Windows.edb"
output_file = "/path/to/output_file.txt"

import pyesedb
d = pyesedb.open(edb_file)
t = [t for t in d.tables if t.name=="SystemIndex_PropertyStore"][0]
cnum = [i for i,c in enumerate(t.columns) if c.name=="4443-System_ItemPathDisplay"][0]
f = open(output_file, "w")
for r in t.records:
	f.write(r.get_value_data_as_string(cnum))
	f.write("\n")
f.close()
I don't know whether this will work on huge files but at least it won't try to display the whole thing which should help.

Edit: I hardcoded the number 4443 but I have no idea whether that depends on windows version or something so it might need to be changed or not hardcoded if that doesn't work.

I was playing with this because it piqued my curiosity. Whatever this library is is wildly inefficient. Given it's a known-format database it sure does like to scan the whole file. Basically loaded up an `edb` file, pulled out `records = t.records`. len(records) yields 3 million rows, consuming ~371MB of RAM. It took like 15 minutes of 100% cpu time to do this, with my disk at ~10% i/o usage. strace showed a steady stream of lseek() and read() in a loop with 32k chunk sizes. From there doing "records[0]" re-scans the whole drat file near as I can tell, I'm about 10 minutes in and it's doing the exact same thing. Makes me think this python library doesn't understand the index format and is basically doing it through brute force every single time.

Either that or because the file doesn't fit into RAM it's not storing the index anywhere? That seems doubtful - it should just crash. I'm debating throwing this onto a server at work and mapping the file into a memory disk and letting it rip.

This is on Fedora 27 with this RPM: https://forensics.cert.org/fedora/cert/27/x86_64/repoview/libesedb-python3.html

On topic: The fan in my Synology is super loud/dying, I found https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=97437&start=15#p374386 and bought that fan for $20. We'll see if it works! I had a dream last night I took it apart and found like 5 little muffin fans inside.

mystes
May 31, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I was playing with this because it piqued my curiosity. Whatever this library is is wildly inefficient. Given it's a known-format database it sure does like to scan the whole file. Basically loaded up an `edb` file, pulled out `records = t.records`. len(records) yields 3 million rows, consuming ~371MB of RAM. It took like 15 minutes of 100% cpu time to do this, with my disk at ~10% i/o usage. strace showed a steady stream of lseek() and read() in a loop with 32k chunk sizes. From there doing "records[0]" re-scans the whole drat file near as I can tell, I'm about 10 minutes in and it's doing the exact same thing. Makes me think this python library doesn't understand the index format and is basically doing it through brute force every single time.

Either that or because the file doesn't fit into RAM it's not storing the index anywhere? That seems doubtful - it should just crash. I'm debating throwing this onto a server at work and mapping the file into a memory disk and letting it rip.

This is on Fedora 27 with this RPM: https://forensics.cert.org/fedora/cert/27/x86_64/repoview/libesedb-python3.html
Oh, in that case it might not be able to handle WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW's file. I've never used this library before and I didn't investigate it other than doing the minimum amount of poking around once with a windows.edb file from a nearly empty computer to figure out the bare minimum of how to use it in like 10 minutes.

It seems like you can also read the files from .net which would probably be better but it looked hard to find actually documentation.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
How does this thread feel about ArsTechnica's most recent Server build guide recommendations?

And yes, they're recommending refurbished HDDs.

For Too Long Didn't Read:

quote:

Entry Level
Supermicro MBD-X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O Intel Xeon D-1521 Mini ITX Server Motherboard - $470
Supermicro MEM-DR416L-SL01-ER21 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) ECC Registered RDIMM - $120
Chenbro SR30169T2-250 0.8mm SGCC, Hi-PS Pedestal Compact Server Chassis - $135
2x Refurbished HGST Ultrastar He10 7200RPM 10TB HDD - $230 ea
Specs: 8 CPU threads, 16GB RAM, 20T raw storage
Bare cost (no drives): $725
Total cost: $1,185

Mid-Level
Intel Core i3-8100 quad-core CPU - $120
Asus WS C246 Pro LGA-1151 server motherboard - $250
Supermicro MEM-DR432L-SL01-ER24 32GB (1x32GB) DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) ECC Registered RDIMM - $270
Silverstone SST-CS380 8-bay mid-tower case - $180
EVGA 750W Gold Semi-Modular PSU - $80
4x Refurbished HGST Ultrastar He10 7200RPM 10TB HDD - $230 ea
Specs: 4 CPU threads, 32GB RAM, 40T raw storage
Bare cost (no drives): $900
Total cost: $1,820

Heavy Duty
Supermicro CSE-836 3u rackmount chassis, w/ 800W redundant PSU - $1100
Supermicro H11SSL-I Single Socket AMD Epyc Motherboard incl. 16 SATA3 ports - $380
AMD Epyc 7281 16-core (32-thread) CPU - $670
Supermicro Passive Epyc 7xxx heatsink - $30
2x 64GB SuperMicro Certified DDR4 2666 ECC LRDIMM - $600 ea
4x Refurbished HGST Ultrastar He10 7200RPM 10TB HDD - $230 ea
4x New Samsung 860 Pro 4TiB SSD - $990 ea
Specs: 32 CPU threads, 128GB RAM, 40T raw storage (rust), 16T raw storage (SSD)
Bare cost (no drives): $3,380
Total cost: $8,620

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like I would want a lot more hard data on reliability before being willing to consider using refurb drives. I'm not sure that anecdata like "I've used these time and again, and in my experience, they're a good deal" really cuts it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m keen on maybe a slightly more pumped up version of the Entry level with a xeon-D, perhaps the 1541. Have not had much luck finding a retailer selling supermicro boards for acceptable prices though (in :canada:).

Good to see the options for cases with hot swap drives.

Related, if I were to move my unraid setup to a new motherboard, how tricky/complex is it to move the data drives? Boot drive is easy I just wonder if it requires the drives to be ordered or if it does all its unraid stuff just magically.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, they're refurbs, but they're also the stupid reliable HGST drives. I have four refurb HGST 8TB in my array right now.

Of course with how cheap shucked drives are now, and the fact that opening a product is no longer a legal reason to void a warranty, I'm just going to go with shucked drives in the future anyway.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

On topic: The fan in my Synology is super loud/dying, I found https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=97437&start=15#p374386 and bought that fan for $20. We'll see if it works! I had a dream last night I took it apart and found like 5 little muffin fans inside.

mystes posted:

I feel like I would want a lot more hard data on reliability before being willing to consider using refurb drives. I'm not sure that anecdata like "I've used these time and again, and in my experience, they're a good deal" really cuts it.

Yeah I've pretty much given up hoping to ever get the file names back at this point. The one single program that I know will actually works is no longer able to be activated (but the company will still happily take your money!). I really do appreciate everyone helping me try to figure this out though. It means a lot to me.

On that note, why is RAID not considered backup? I am planning on setting up a RAID5 with all my drives and from what I understand, I would have to have two drives fail at the exact same time for me to lose data? I really don't see that being a reasonable scenario. I mean yeah it could happen but it's not worth having to buy a 2nd of every single hard drive I already have which would cost me a fortune. Is there something I'm missing?

Also I am kind of new to RAID. Does it matter that about 5 of my server's hard drives are USB? The rest are either SATA direct to the motherboard or SATA to this RAID card that I had to flash to IT mode. Can I do RAID5 with this mishmash of hookups?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RAID doesn't protect against file deletion, file corruption, or malicious acts (such as a cryptolocker type virus). RAID5 in particular is also questionable with modern drive sizes because the odds of a "not failed" drive returning an unrecoverable read error during your rebuild process are now significant because of how much data is being read. With a traditional RAID system, one URE during the rebuild means your whole array is trash.

ZFS is smart enough in that situation that it can tell which files it cannot reliably recover, flags them, and recovers everything else without making GBS threads the bed.

Also I am kind of new to RAID. Does it matter that about 5 of my server's hard drives are USB?

:stare:

The gently caress are you doing, really?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

It's mostly RAW 1080p Blu-ray rips and games

So what exactly is recommended if I don't want to buy a backup hard drive for every single hard drive I already have? Anything?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

So what exactly is recommended if I don't want to buy a backup hard drive for every single hard drive I already have? Anything?

RAID is not backup because it provides no segregation of failure domain. One virus, one faulty raid controller, one filesystem bug, one user error, one disk failing during a rebuild causes you to lose some-to-all of your data.

You need to segregate and tier your data resiliency needs. For your sacred dick picks, you should be putting them ideally into 3 places: the live data (RAID), a secondary hard drive that's offline most of the time, and offsite somewhere (Google Drive/Backblaze B2/Etc with some kind of erasure protection/versioning.) For your less sacred but still annoying to lose porn put it on that live data array (RAID) and make a second copy somewhere else. For "Don't Care" data like family photos just stick it on the RAID array but don't cry if/when it's gone.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

It depends on what you are trying to protect your data from

In my case, I want to protect against the things IOwnCalculus mentioned (file deletion, corruption, malicious acts) but also protect against physical issues like theft or fire.

For protecting against theft or fire, that means I need the data replicated in multiple physical locations. For that aspect I store backups on the cloud (I use both Google Drive as well as backblaze & restic).

If cloud isn't an option, then I think it would be buying more hard drives and storing them in different physical locations

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I was actually just wondering about picking up one of those exact He10 drives, but for my desktop as a new games drive. I don't necessarily need that much space. I'd be okay at 4-6TB -- but that's firmly out of affordable SSD range, and hybird drives don't seem to exist anymore. I was looking at what the fastest spinny drives might be, and that looked like it was up there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Milkman posted:

I was actually just wondering about picking up one of those exact He10 drives, but for my desktop as a new games drive. I don't necessarily need that much space. I'd be okay at 4-6TB -- but that's firmly out of affordable SSD range, and hybird drives don't seem to exist anymore. I was looking at what the fastest spinny drives might be, and that looked like it was up there.

The fastest spinning drives are still orders of magnitude below SSD in performance, but yes, the more dense the drive, the marginally better performance it will have.

Of course I also manage to keep my desktop confined to a 500GB SSD and no other disks other than a single unshucked 10TB Easystore. In your shoes for $200 I'd be doing my damnedest to try and shrink below 2TB, because even the Intel 660p NVMe has been as low as $220, and there have been 2TB SATA SSDs in the $190 range.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Milkman posted:

I have a refurb'd 6 TB He6 in my gaming desktop and it's still fantastic. It might be a little clicky/loud but that's irrelevant to me, and it's pretty fast (IIRC I benchmarked it around 200 MB/s r/w sequential.) They're still regularly around $100, I think mostly from GoHardDrive, and they resell on Newegg Flash and eBay. I have that drive backed up to a USB Easystore/Elements. The only reason I haven't bought more of those refurb'd drives is because for both my gaming desktop and my Plex server, I'll need to upgrade capacity to 8 or 10 TB in the near future, but otherwise I'd recommend the HeX refurbs. For HDD pricing, basically $20 or better per TB is good, although NAS/enterprise stuff is always more expensive.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

IOwnCalculus posted:

The fastest spinning drives are still orders of magnitude below SSD in performance, but yes, the more dense the drive, the marginally better performance it will have.

Of course I also manage to keep my desktop confined to a 500GB SSD and no other disks other than a single unshucked 10TB Easystore. In your shoes for $200 I'd be doing my damnedest to try and shrink below 2TB, because even the Intel 660p NVMe has been as low as $220, and there have been 2TB SATA SSDs in the $190 range.

I could shave down to 2tb of stuff pretty easily -- right now. Games be gettin bloated though. 80-100GB is becoming normal. I'm less concerned with load times than having to janitor the space. Last time I tried games off an SSD, it wasn't that dramatic of an improvement anyway, it's mostly occasional sequential reads. Granted that was pre-nvme so maybe there's a bigger difference these days. But I've been not unsatisfied running off a clogged up very old cheapo 4tb :shrug:

Atomizer posted:

I have a refurb'd 6 TB He6 in my gaming desktop and it's still fantastic. It might be a little clicky/loud but that's irrelevant to me, and it's pretty fast (IIRC I benchmarked it around 200 MB/s r/w sequential.) They're still regularly around $100, I think mostly from GoHardDrive, and they resell on Newegg Flash and eBay. I have that drive backed up to a USB Easystore/Elements. The only reason I haven't bought more of those refurb'd drives is because for both my gaming desktop and my Plex server, I'll need to upgrade capacity to 8 or 10 TB in the near future, but otherwise I'd recommend the HeX refurbs. For HDD pricing, basically $20 or better per TB is good, although NAS/enterprise stuff is always more expensive.

Good to know these refurbs are reliable, that was my other concern. Or at least, not especially more likely to up and die compared something new.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
OK so I take it either Backblaze or S3 should work fine for backing up my whole NAS, are there any current recommendations for backing up a Windows PC to the NAS? I've tried some of the free software that's been mentioned here before and FileHistory in Windows itself, but we've been having issues with stability/reliability and FileHistory seems to have a mind of itself about some things so it's a bit inconsistent about what it chooses to backup.

Are there any paid solutions that have official support and are more robust than the free alternatives?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Thwomp posted:

How does this thread feel about ArsTechnica's most recent Server build guide recommendations?

And yes, they're recommending refurbished HDDs.

For Too Long Didn't Read:

I was just looking at new chassis last night. The 6x6TB WD Reds in my N40L are coming up on 4 years in age so I figured maybe it's time for a new set of 10TB drives and upgrading the rest of the hardware. Looked around at Lenovo TS440/TS460, some HPE tower servers, DIY silverstone DS380b (airflow doesn't sound good there), Dell PowerEdge tower servers...nothing really stood out to me as a compelling option. Then I was thinking maybe I should just get a little rack mount cabinet since that opens up a bunch of possibilities, and having an excuse to get some rackmounted poo poo at home would be fun. Not sure what else I would rack in there though aside from the storage array and a UPS. So maybe not worth it. I dunno, what else should I look at?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

fletcher posted:

It depends on what you are trying to protect your data from

In my case, I want to protect against the things IOwnCalculus mentioned (file deletion, corruption, malicious acts) but also protect against physical issues like theft or fire.

For protecting against theft or fire, that means I need the data replicated in multiple physical locations. For that aspect I store backups on the cloud (I use both Google Drive as well as backblaze & restic).

If cloud isn't an option, then I think it would be buying more hard drives and storing them in different physical locations

What if the only thing I want to protect my data from is a dead hard drive? Let's say I don't care about a fire, I don't care about a virus, I just care about one hard drive dying and that data being gone? Is raid5 OK for that? I understand that any virus or natural disaster would mean I'd lose data

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

What if the only thing I want to protect my data from is a dead hard drive? Let's say I don't care about a fire, I don't care about a virus, I just care about one hard drive dying and that data being gone? Is raid5 OK for that? I understand that any virus or natural disaster would mean I'd lose data

A number of us have been there when the drive controller has failed and destroyed a raid 5 array. Risk of data loss is not just the probability of individual drive failure. There are far more risks which is why people suggest having a backup.

In the end it's up to you. If you lose all the data and you won't care then just use a raid 5. If there is data you care about keep a copy on a separate device.

Best practice is always 3-2-1 backups, 3 copies, 2 on-site and 1 off-site.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

You use RAID 1 like me. Or logical RAID 1 like Unraid. Forget RAID5

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Jesus christ why do you have to make everything so difficult? :psyduck: RAID is not backup, it's for redundancy and uptime, period. You know what's backup? An actual backup solution! You have a separate HDD back up your stuff and/or a remote solution; the number of backups depends on the value and replaceability of the data. Use FreeFileSync, for example, for a quick/free/easy solution to mirror drive A to backup drive B (which you then take offline until the next time you need to update the backup.) Use a service like Backblaze to remotely backup appropriate stuff.

For example, I have my game HDD backed up onto a single external HDD on-site, not because the games are particularly valuable but because they're large enough to make re-downloading them a chore (like, a multiple-days-long endeavor) but sensitive banking/tax documents should have at least a 3rd backup, in line with the 3-2-1 strategy mentioned by Devian.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Even then, even if everyone else fails to talk you out of this, at least use RAID 6. 5 just doesn't cut it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Unraid or Snapraids parity drives may be of interest to you.