Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

There are different versions of the Rowhammer attack and the ones used to defeat ECC (yes it can defeat some types of ECC RAM though I don't think its been shown to work with DDR4 yet, but the researchers thought it could, note that their work is different than this new SPOILER thing) can take days or weeks to be effective.

From the article and quoted section in thread:
yeah there are a lot of variants on rowhammer/spectre/meltdown. i'm aware. that the researchers only had their variant affect intel, and didn't get success with the rest doesn't mean much especially taking the historic research of these classes of vulnerabilities into account

for context have a christmas carol

the chips from all vendors were all flawed before this new variant was discovered, it's just another hole in the sieve

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

thunderbolt is still the only game in town if you want egpu. being able to pass through native pcie makes it much better for docking stations including chaining displays

Not entirely the exact same thing, but worth mentioning that you can get the same functionality as an egpu with an nvme slot and an adapter that passes through to a full-size graphics card in an external enclosure (if your motherboard supports it of course).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So that seems bad.

Is it something that should worry regular desktop users like me or is it more of a concern for enterprises?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OhFunny posted:

So that seems bad.

Is it something that should worry regular desktop users like me or is it more of a concern for enterprises?

I think the point is that if Intel shows wanton disregard for the security of their platforms for their major clients, imagine how little of a crap they give about your security.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

I think the point is that if Intel shows wanton disregard for the security of their platforms for their major clients, imagine how little of a crap they give about your security.

This article says that it's something that affects all Core processors starting from the first generation. If it took them this long to figure this attack out, then what are the odds that anyone's actually able to use it in the real world?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shipon posted:

This article says that it's something that affects all Core processors starting from the first generation. If it took them this long to figure this attack out, then what are the odds that anyone's actually able to use it in the real world?

That's like saying "I've had this password for years. Now that it's out in the open, what are the odds anyone's actually able to use it in the real world?"

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Also it's assuming that it's an isolated incident, rather than the latest discovered point in a pattern of behavior, and one which illustrates how far back the pattern stretches.

And that no one actually figured it out other than whoever published it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's another new paper showing that optimisation everyone was doing for decades had subtle issues that different vendors managed the risk of differently

you shouldn't be jumping for every minor variant or saying x vendor is fine. these are major research projects that are going to continue finding flaws over time, and acting shocked every release is fruitless

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

OhFunny posted:

So that seems bad.

Do you have any reason to think anyone would bother to target you, specifically, for an attack?

If you are Joe Public, the answer is "no," and the chance that anyone will actually try to deploy such an attack against you is quite a bit lower than you being subject to any of a variety of more common attacks.

This is mostly a vulnerability that platforms and other high-value targets are going to be concerned about, particularly those who have hard-coded keys that would be a huge deal to replace should they ever get leaked/discovered.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

OhFunny posted:

So that seems bad.

The timescale of the attack seems impractical for most valuable consumer data.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We taught sand how to think, and not being satisfied, we taught it how to cheat.

In a few years, we'll have learned that the cheating sand was also loan sharking on the side.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
cool for this to drop the week after buying an 9900K lol

youll never get me out of my whack rear end plastic processor prison

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

The timescale of the attack seems impractical for most valuable consumer data.

As the vulnerability becomes more widespread it could easily be worth a hackers time to go after consumers. Anything that can be automated will be and spending a few processor seconds on it isn’t a big deal

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

These security vulnerabilities that people flip out about never seem to have any actual impact on home users. The spectre/meltdown fix hurting NVME throughput was like the most real impact I can ever remember. Maybe this one is different, i dont know and im also too dumb to care so.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It never has any impact, until maybe one day it does and then we're all hosed. See also: climate change.

An arbitrary code execution/protected memory leaking/similarly catastrophic exploit being hard to execute seems less like true protection and more like a reprieve until someone has the time to come up with a good implementation.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 7, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Eletriarnation posted:

It never has any impact, until maybe one day it does and then we're all hosed. See also: climate change.

when my personal video gaming CPUs weird errata kills millions, I will feel very ashamed and owned

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Not saying that the impact is comparable, just that people's lack of reaction to something potentially awful might be. Struck me as an amusing parallel.

It could be a gaming computer or a smart lightbulb, what they care about is whether it can be part of a DDoS botnet too.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
You see, children, the downfall of civilization began way back in 2019 when Gary decided to install a Nest...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

You're not seeing impact as the software end-users primarily use that would be targeted (web browsers) are the forefront of r&ding protections

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You're not seeing impact as the software end-users primarily use that would be targeted (web browsers) are the forefront of r&ding protections

See: Chrome's recent memory management error that was actively being exploited in the wild that allowed arbitrary code execution and sandbox escape.

I wouldn't rely on web browser security to save us.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
They're not perfect, but honestly browsers get security patches to fix critical flaws like that faster than almost anything else in computer land, so you really can't ding 'em too badly, either. That 0day exploit, for example, was patched inside of a week.

Honestly, the biggest part about SPOILER is that it can (theoretically) take Rowhammer--a fairly contrived "yeah it could work if you had nation-state resources to apply to a target" style of attack and turn it into something that can be slipped into JavaScript browser drive-by attacks. That's...real bad. But the upside is that you'll likely see a browser patch to plug that vector and thereby protect 99% of users looooong before you see a technical response from Intel that tries to address that other 1% who might suffer through more esoteric delivery methods.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

js rowhammer already existed and had practical pocs. rowhammer was never contrived.

they were embargoed alongside fixes to minimise impact on users after publication.

if you want to see maybe check the yospos sec threads since 2016 and every major security conference since then having a new practical variant

these are bleeding-edge attacks, new chips will not solve the problem only mitigate the major ones. give it 5 years before any major breakthrough hits consumer gear

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Intel won the contract for the first US exascale computer not just for the CPUs but also GPUs and memory.

https://twitter.com/Rajaontheedge/status/1107714318546530304?s=19

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for those more effective atom bombs!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Intel makes GPUs. lol

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This also explains what Xe is supposed to mean, pretty impressive for them to beat out well established player Nvidia considering they've never actually released a GPU product before.

https://twitter.com/Rajaontheedge/status/1107721706682998784?s=19

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

This also explains what Xe is supposed to mean
For a split-second I thought you meant them becoming a shady government contractor

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Spiderdrake posted:

For a split-second I thought you meant them becoming a shady government contractor

Blackwater/Xe is now Academi!

Helps to change names frequently if you're a PMC with a shady past.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Lambert posted:

Can't wait for those more effective atom bombs!

It's about drat time.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I know they've hired like half of the hardware journalists out there already but I wasn't expecting this one.

https://twitter.com/KyleBennett/status/1108020954096193536?s=19

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

I know they've hired like half of the hardware journalists out there already but I wasn't expecting this one.

https://twitter.com/KyleBennett/status/1108020954096193536?s=19

Kyle Bennett's statement on [H]ardOCP. Adios HardOCP and HardForums.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
April 1st.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Exactly two weeks' notice(?)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Weird way to go about for an April fools joke. If true, I guess astroturfing is the new PR. "Director of Enthusiast Engagement", lolwat.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Canada created a whole new territory out of an existing one on April 1 one year.

April 1 is a Monday this year so it's the start of a new month and the start of a new week. Totally legitimate day to start a new job.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I don't think it's a prank, his employees are writing long-winded goodbyes on his forums.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Guy at work bought a Dell Precision 3000 series with 32GB of RAM and Xeon 2186G. We don't support those and asked why since we support Dell Latitudes EDIT: OPTIPLEX . He said the Lat's can't do what this does but from the things I am reading the i7 8700 is just as good.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/418/Intel_Core_i7_i7-8700K_vs_Intel_Xeon_E_E-2186G.html

Is the $1000+ CAD for the Xeon in this case worth it (that was the quote from Dell)?

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 21, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Vintersorg posted:

Guy at work bought a Dell Precision 3000 series with 32GB of RAM and Xeon 2186G. We don't support those and asked why since we support Dell Latitudes. He said the Lat's can't do what this does but from the things I am reading the i7 8700 is just as good.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/418/Intel_Core_i7_i7-8700K_vs_Intel_Xeon_E_E-2186G.html

Is the $1000+ CAD for the Xeon in this case worth it (that was the quote from Dell)?

It's the same chip, but it supports ECC ram, more or less.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't think you get quad channel RAM until you go to LGA2066.