Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Blue Train posted:

I believe the app is called system app uninstaller. Make a backup first just in case

E: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jumobile.manager.systemapp

Thank you, I'll try it out.

Can I exclude "Data" when backing up with TWRP?

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

THF13 posted:

First thing I would check is if it's related to your root issue at all, you might need to set the right APN settings for Sprint.

I don't have that phone or Sprint and definitely don't know anything about that kernel, but if I were having that issue I would try reflashing everything, making sure I was flashing the correct radios. I would start over from scratch making sure to wipe data and any caches.

I ended up resolving the issue: The Modem firmware was corrupted, while LTE worked fine, it couldn't read the SIM for the CDMA.

Reflashed with the stock firmware and then reinstalled the modded ROM. We're in buisiness.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You should have stopped after reflashing stock imo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

RZA Encryption posted:

You should have stopped after reflashing stock imo.

It wasn't the full image, it was only the base kernel and firmware. And the stock image had repeated issues with slowdowns and freezes even after factory resets. New image works much better.

But I'm seeing a trend on your posts :)

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
I tried Remove System App, but it didn't actually remove any apps at all and generally seemed a little wonky and unstable and weird ("uninstalled" files still show up, and restoring files from its "recycle bin still showed them in the bin, etc.). Might not work that well for my Samsung Galaxy A3 SM-A300FU.

But while browsing XDA Forums for custom ROMs, I found what I believe to be the next best thing; the xposed framework which is supposed to enable a lot of deep customization. Got a SM-A300FU version of it installed on my phone, seems to work fine.

I'll continue reading up on it, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend some of it's modules to me, especially for getting rid of Samsungs stock crapware? Maybe other useful xposed modules that other apps - root or no - don't do as well? It seems weird to me that there isn't any kind of basic or advanced masterlistofsafelyremovableSamsung/HTC/Motorolacrapware.apk or module, seems like there is definitely a need for it from more users, when reading that forum.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Downs Duck posted:

I tried Remove System App, but it didn't actually remove any apps at all and generally seemed a little wonky and unstable and weird ("uninstalled" files still show up, and restoring files from its "recycle bin still showed them in the bin, etc.). Might not work that well for my Samsung Galaxy A3 SM-A300FU.

But while browsing XDA Forums for custom ROMs, I found what I believe to be the next best thing; the xposed framework which is supposed to enable a lot of deep customization. Got a SM-A300FU version of it installed on my phone, seems to work fine.

I'll continue reading up on it, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend some of it's modules to me, especially for getting rid of Samsungs stock crapware? Maybe other useful xposed modules that other apps - root or no - don't do as well? It seems weird to me that there isn't any kind of basic or advanced masterlistofsafelyremovableSamsung/HTC/Motorolacrapware.apk or module, seems like there is definitely a need for it from more users, when reading that forum.

Xposed is really good. Also look at SuperSU for managing root permissions, works kind of like UAC on Windows where it will alert you when an application tries to use root or super user level access and allows you to deny/approve it.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Xposed is really good. Also look at SuperSU for managing root permissions, works kind of like UAC on Windows where it will alert you when an application tries to use root or super user level access and allows you to deny/approve it.

Great, Xposed definitely seems nice. Saw some comprehensive module called "Gravity Boxed" being recommended, but I have no idea what that is.

Yeah, SuperSu should be installed already, what I have besides Samsung Stock Crapware now is:
-SuperSU (zip included/bundled/flashed when I installed TWRP)
-Root Checker Basic
-Titanium Backup
-Orbot with Orfox
-Xposed Installer

About SuperSU:
I downloaded the ProtectMyPrivacy (PMP) module from Xposed Installer's download repository, and during the setup of PMP it complained that I don't have SuperSU enabled? The other apps (Titanium and that System App Remover (root) thing I tried) gets a Deny/Grant request, but this one didn't? I guess it has something to do with PMP being downloaded a Xposed module and not a "normal" root app? Anything special I have to do to give PMP module or other modules a "Grant" request from SuperSU? Do I have to download a special SuperSU module through Xposed to get other Xposed modules working with it?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gravitybox can have issues with Samsung roms, there's another module made for them called wanam

You should be able to assign rights to apps within the supersu app

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Blue Train posted:

Gravitybox can have issues with Samsung roms, there's another module made for them called wanam

You should be able to assign rights to apps within the supersu app

Thanks, I'll check out wanam instead. I can't find any option anywhere in SuperSU to browse to the PMP app or similar. Maybe I have the wrong SuperSU or something. Developer says Chainfire, it's supposed to be the right one according to XDA forums.

EDIT: Ugh, I just had to tick the checkbox for PMP in Xposed Installer, then reboot. PMP works fine now. I got fooled by the PMP module letting me customize and set it up, so I thought it was already enabled.

EDIT2: Seems like wanam is discontinued.

Also, I still feel a bit angsty about not being able to backup the Data folder/image in TWRP, as my SD-card is not big enough to backup more than Boot and System. Anyone have any insights on that? My plan was to remove clutter from my rom so I could make the images for Boot, System and Data small enough to backup all in TWRP.

EDIT 3: Would prefer the card, but saw that internal memory had 9GB left of space, so I did a full TWRP backup there and will copy it to my computer as well. How hard will it be for TWRP to access the full backup from internal storage to recover my phone when SHTF?

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 16, 2017

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
If you want to remove apps (and already have a TWRP backup you know works) just use titanium backup to uninstall the app. You can always backup the app in titanium first in case whatever you removed/uninstalled makes something else break because that can happen.

As far as TWRP goes, when you restore from it, it puts your phone back to exactly where it was when you did the backup. If it's on the internal card, you can just boot into recovery, do a restore and everything will be just as it was.

If you can, get a bigger SD card. TWRP will be able to do backups onto it and then you can have multiple backups while you customize the phone to your liking and have something to restore from when something breaks (it will).

driguy fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 16, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Downs Duck, given how little you seem to know and the really basic questions you're asking, are you sure this is the best idea?

You don't need an app to do any of the things you're trying to do, you just need a file browser with root access.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Also a lot of the 'bloatware' can be dealt with simply by hiding it in the launcher.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Gonna try to install Kali Nethunter next.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

driguy posted:

If you want to remove apps (and already have a TWRP backup you know works) just use titanium backup to uninstall the app. You can always backup the app in titanium first in case whatever you removed/uninstalled makes something else break because that can happen.

As far as TWRP goes, when you restore from it, it puts your phone back to exactly where it was when you did the backup. If it's on the internal card, you can just boot into recovery, do a restore and everything will be just as it was.

If you can, get a bigger SD card. TWRP will be able to do backups onto it and then you can have multiple backups while you customize the phone to your liking and have something to restore from when something breaks (it will).

Thanks, I'll see about buying a bigger card. If I understood correctly, if I just backup Boot and System, that would work for restoring the phone itself? The only thing I would need to do is to redownload all the apps, including SuperSU, because I didn't include Data? Just curious here. I did a backup number 1 with only Boot and System and then a number 2 with System, Boot and Data. Both are copied to my computer as well, just to be sure.

LastInLine posted:

Downs Duck, given how little you seem to know and the really basic questions you're asking, are you sure this is the best idea?

You don't need an app to do any of the things you're trying to do, you just need a file browser with root access.

That's okay. It's a learning process, gotta start somewhere. And I've cleared the phone of everything so I don't mind experimenting. If everything goes to poo poo, I'd get a new sim-card sent and use that for my old Nokia phone. A file browser with root access will be the next thing I try out if you would recommend me one?

dissss posted:

Also a lot of the 'bloatware' can be dealt with simply by hiding it in the launcher.

True, although a lot of it isn't possible to remove or hide at all. My main concern was trying to get down the size of the backup, as I believe a lot of the Data is bloat that I never use.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Not a root question per se but I think you folks have the skills to know about this.

My stock Nexus 6p randomly shut down randomly last night and got caught in a boot loop. I understand this is a death knell and I'm going to contact Google for a warranty replacement, it's literally less than 6 months old.

However, my data backups had missed a couple vital files that I need to get before I ship off my phone and I didn't realize it until this happened. The problem is my device is locked and I can't boot to recovery. This morning I plugged it into my computer with Android Studio running and tried to boot to recovery, which worked, but then I hit the power button by accident and it went to reboot and actually got to the colored circles animation before making GBS threads itself again.

Does anyone know of a rescue method that I can use just to get data off without wiping this thing? I don't care whether it ever works again. I have an auto backup in my Google drive but I think it's just my apps and app settings.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Can you get to fastboot? Here's a link that might help https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/noob-read-adb-fastboot-how-help-t3006500

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm not super sure about fast boot but I'm going to dig into this and find out. I know I'm in the boot loader but I think that's only as far as I'm getting. Thanks a bunch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NancyPants posted:

I'm not super sure about fast boot but I'm going to dig into this and find out. I know I'm in the boot loader but I think that's only as far as I'm getting. Thanks a bunch.

Once you're in the bootloader fastboot should work.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Assuming you can you can either ADB pull the files or you can flash a factory image without the erase userdata command

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Once you're in the bootloader fastboot should work.

That guide was really helpful, thank you so much for pointing me to it. Forgive the total noob question, but the bootloader is the screen you get to by holding down power and volume down that has the droid lying on his back with his belly open, right?

I never got as far as actually trying fastboot or ADB. I don't know what kind of miracle happened, but after letting the phone sit on that screen for about 8 hours while I was out today, I tried a boot to recovery just to see what it would do, and it booted to recovery straight away. Then it sat there for a few minutes waiting for a command, started trying to boot normally, went back to the Google screen, then booted all the way. It's been up for the last couple hours, and it's been long enough to get all my data off and backed up, at least.

I also found out why it wasn't backed up like I thought; Google drive has been doing this cute little upload queue, but no notification anywhere that it isn't actually uploading.

Anyway, thanks again and I really hope I don't ever need to actually use that tool for data recovery. I'll definitely be more careful in the future. :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NancyPants posted:

That guide was really helpful, thank you so much for pointing me to it. Forgive the total noob question, but the bootloader is the screen you get to by holding down power and volume down that has the droid lying on his back with his belly open, right?

Correct. From there you can do fastboot commands. ADB you can do from within Android or recovery.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Correct. From there you can do fastboot commands. ADB you can do from within Android or recovery.

Ok, cool. Well, at least I actually have the vocab correct.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

So I've tried installing a few ROMs on myy phone, mainly I wanted to improve my useless battery life to be slightly less useless and it's worked.

Only problem with the GPS doesnt work at all. I've tried all kinds of crazy poo poo like replacing the gps.conf usings apps to mess with the AGPS data and nothing works, the GPS is just worthless and only works if I'm connected to WiFi. Any ideas?

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Some of the phones I have installed aosp roms on have required me to acquire a GPS lock on the stock (or built from stock) rom, then boot into recovery and restore to a backup of the non-stock rom. Then GPS would work fine. Why this worked, I have no idea but I've had it happen on at least 2 different phones. Just a guess since I don't have any more info to go on.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Too Poetic posted:

So I've tried installing a few ROMs on myy phone, mainly I wanted to improve my useless battery life to be slightly less useless and it's worked.

Only problem with the GPS doesnt work at all. I've tried all kinds of crazy poo poo like replacing the gps.conf usings apps to mess with the AGPS data and nothing works, the GPS is just worthless and only works if I'm connected to WiFi. Any ideas?

Sometimes you have to reflash the modem and fsg files for it to work on Moto phones

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Sometimes you have to reflash the modem and fsg files for it to work on Moto phones
It's an HTC one M7 VZW. I backed up the modem.bin. Do I need to reflash from stock, back it up again, install my rom and flash it again? Also cant find out what FSG is

driguy posted:

Some of the phones I have installed aosp roms on have required me to acquire a GPS lock on the stock (or built from stock) rom, then boot into recovery and restore to a backup of the non-stock rom. Then GPS would work fine. Why this worked, I have no idea but I've had it happen on at least 2 different phones. Just a guess since I don't have any more info to go on.
Not sure what you mean?

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 23, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Too Poetic posted:

Not sure what you mean?

I don't know how else he can state it but some phones but some require you to get a GPS signal on the original, stock ROM before GPS will work on a non-stock ROM.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I don't know how else he can state it but some phones but some require you to get a GPS signal on the original, stock ROM before GPS will work on a non-stock ROM.
What exactly or the steps? Flash stock, go into google maps, and then flash non-stock ROM?

Edit: Never mind I get what he's saying.

Edit2: Seems to be working, which is weird because I did a fresh install in the first place. GPS comes up we'll see if directions work tomorrow.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 23, 2017

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Was half asleep while trying to explain it.

Too Poetic posted:

What exactly or the steps? Flash stock, go into google maps, and then flash non-stock ROM?

Edit: Never mind I get what he's saying.

Edit2: Seems to be working, which is weird because I did a fresh install in the first place. GPS comes up we'll see if directions work tomorrow.

Like I said, don't know why it works but it does. I can't remember which phone/manufacturer I had to do it with but it was more than one. Glad you got it working.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I remember having to do that with CyanogenMod 6 on the HTC Evo. Nandroid my CM install, restore to a backup from the stock ROM, run "GPS Status" app until it shows a solid lock, then reboot and restore the CM backup.

CM7 fixed whatever was weird in the Qualcomm GPS driver for that phone and I haven't ever had to do that again on that phone or any since. GPS generally works, I have trouble with it maybe once every few months, and more often than not resetting AGPS using GPS Status does the trick. In the rare cases where that doesn't work a reboot always has.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Having a tricky time with this phone.

I've gotten as far as installing a generic rom with Odin that sets SELinux to permissive and kingroot is taking a swing at it but so far no dice.

Thinking of trying all the other root apps that wouldn't work before. Any advice?

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 24, 2017

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
I successfully rooted my old Sprint Galaxy Note 2 (SPH-L900). Using the instructions here: https://androidmtk.com/root-samsung-galaxy-note-2-sph-l900-sprint

I did this because the Note 2 only supports up to 4.4.2 and I need to run apps that only support 5.0 and above.

Long question short: how do I unroot? I maaaaay have violated company policy by rooting my phone. And by may I mean I certainly did and it won't let me access my email.

Not a huge deal, honestly. I can still use Outlook on the web. But I should probably unroot before I get yelled at by a real person and not just the robot hivemind that monitors our phones.

Is it as simple as going into SuperSU and unchecking Enable superuser? Or do I need to flash again and go back through Odin? Note that I've done nothing but install and run Titanium and install ROM Manager (but I haven't done anything with it yet). No new ROM on my phone.

The few tutorials I've found I think assume that I installed a new ROM because they say I need to download the stock ROM. But any links I find to my stock ROM have long expired...

Am I boned? I'm ok with that too. Im only a month away from my contract end and this had been a fun learning experience.

K fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 24, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

K posted:

I successfully rooted my old Sprint Galaxy Note 2 (SPH-L900). Using the instructions here: https://androidmtk.com/root-samsung-galaxy-note-2-sph-l900-sprint

I did this because the Note 2 only supports up to 4.4.2 and I need to run apps that only support 5.0 and above.

Long question short: how do I unroot? I maaaaay have violated company policy by rooting my phone. And by may I mean I certainly did and it won't let me access my email.

Not a huge deal, honestly. I can still use Outlook on the web. But I should probably unroot before I get yelled at by a real person and not just the robot hivemind that monitors our phones.

Is it as simple as going into SuperSU and unchecking Enable superuser? Or do I need to flash again and go back through Odin? Note that I've done nothing but install and run Titanium and install ROM Manager (but I haven't done anything with it yet). No new ROM on my phone.

The few tutorials I've found I think assume that I installed a new ROM because they say I need to download the stock ROM. But any links I find to my stock ROM have long expired...

Am I boned? I'm ok with that too. Im only a month away from my contract end and this had been a fun learning experience.

Sorry, I should've put two and two together and realized that if your company paid for your phone they had poo poo on it and told you not to do this. I suppose you can flash the stock image in Odin or whatever it is (I do not know Samsung stuff). The Note 2 is pre-Knox, right?

Sorry, I wasn't thinking :(

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight

LastInLine posted:

Sorry, I should've put two and two together and realized that if your company paid for your phone they had poo poo on it and told you not to do this. I suppose you can flash the stock image in Odin or whatever it is (I do not know Samsung stuff). The Note 2 is pre-Knox, right?

Sorry, I wasn't thinking :(

No way, not your fault. I should have thought this through more. It's also hard to keep track of my posting in three threads.

I also don't mind. I'm not losing my job. A slap on the wrist at worst. The learning experience was totally worth it.

And as soon as I upgrade in a month, I'll have a working Note 2 I can practice on :)

edit: No, the Note 2 is not pre-Knox, but SuperSU attempts to disable it every time I open the app. I don't think it worked though, because when I boot into download mode it says I have 1 Knox violation or whatever.

Breaking things is fun! Breaking things that belong to a Fortune 500 company is funner.

K fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 24, 2017

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

syscall girl posted:

Having a tricky time with this phone.

I've gotten as far as installing a generic rom with Odin that sets SELinux to permissive and kingroot is taking a swing at it but so far no dice.

Thinking of trying all the other root apps that wouldn't work before. Any advice?

Is your bootloader unlocked? Any Samsung phone I've ever rooted had to have an unlocked bootloader before I could root it. Also, if kingroot doesn't work, try kingoroot. There's also a Windows version of one of the two that people have had success with. Which phone is it you're trying to root?

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

K posted:

SuperSU should have a section under settings->cleanup->full unroot. Or you could double down with rootcloak and hope that your enterprise email is an app it works with. I don't know if your email client detects whether or not Knox is tripped, though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

driguy posted:

Is your bootloader unlocked? Any Samsung phone I've ever rooted had to have an unlocked bootloader before I could root it. Also, if kingroot doesn't work, try kingoroot. There's also a Windows version of one of the two that people have had success with. Which phone is it you're trying to root?

I tried kingoroot for win10 and it claimed to work (that progress spinner lies to you) but no go. As to bootloader, I can use the stock rom's adb? but flashing a TWRP custom recovery fails. Flashing from the SD card has also failed due to certificate verification. Not really sure what I'm doing here.

SM-320VL, Galaxy Sky (using this guide [and parts of the guides it links to])

e: trying to root a stubborn phone leads you to letting your guard down and doing stupid things. I feel like the married guy in the back of a police cruiser "I was out of town and had a few drinks with the guys" *sobs* "please don't tell my wife"

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 25, 2017

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
I just read that thread, seems like a really hokey way to achieve root. Personally I've never had root on a phone that didn't have a custom recovery. The problem with kingroot and kingroot is that they're incredibly unstable and they tend to lose root when you reboot. I would just keep trying the steps outlined in that thread. Your other alternative is to get a phone that has more dev support/is easier to root. I've given up on 2-3 phones since I couldn't root them, and this phone would fall into that category.

driguy fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 25, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Been a while since I've done any type of rooting since it became a lot less necessary for phones. However, I have a Kindle Fire with ads 7" (2015 version) which is sitting around unused since I replaced it with a Fire HD.

It's slow as molasses - would there be any benefit to rooting it (if even possible) and putting on a custom ROM to make it a cheap bathroom browser? Or is the hardware the big limiting factor in it's performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The 2015 model can be rooted iirc but I suspect it's the hardware limiting it. If you're not using it anyway it couldn't hurt to try tho