Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm going to totally bust this out tomorrow (and then not give you credit for bringing it to my attention)!

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recall the title of a move mentioned a long time ago in this thread; I can recall it was more of a drama, maybe horror, and one of the characters used a triangle choke or arm bar but I got the impression the movie wasn't a martial arts flik. I think the main characters were in a band?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Green Room?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is that legit? Funny story too.

Edit: Watching some rolling videos, he hits it for real. It seems like it's not real because the story is so funny. Seems like some people call this the ninja choke as well, unless there's a difference I'm not seeing. Edit2: Actually there appear to be several different things called a ninja choke lol.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 4, 2019

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yeah it's this.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
really good movie too

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
The final fight in lethal weapon used only BJJ and Mel gibson ends up choking the bad guy (Gary Busey) with a triangle while cops are watching them fight.

Badass man.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Odddzy posted:

The final fight in lethal weapon used only BJJ and Mel gibson ends up choking the bad guy (Gary Busey) with a triangle while cops are watching them fight.

Badass man.

The Gracie's (or one of them, anyway) were the fight coordinators for that movie, so it makes a lot of sense that would happen.

Edit: Rorion, sez imbd.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Drewjitsu posted:

The Gracie's (or one of them, anyway) were the fight coordinators for that movie, so it makes a lot of sense that would happen.

That was Rorion's big break IIRC

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw-gxEFB2lK/?igshid=13lfn64pdclaq

Wanted to share John's post about one of my friends and teammates.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Green Room is an excellent movie but I don’t know if I could watch it again because the violence is very realistic and nasty

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Shah was intense. I'm also pretty sure he did that mount escape to heel hook on me.

HunterDevourer
Mar 16, 2004
The Missing

awkward_turtle posted:

Just got back from a two week European vacation and got to do a couple drop ins, the highlight of which was definitely getting to the blue basement for Danahers no-gi afternoon class. I expected the quality of instruction, I wasn't prepared for the intangibles of that room, what a training environment. Roger Gracies in London was actually kind of a disappointment as I found it overly formal and Roger wasn't there, I wish I'd have gone up to Mill Hill instead even though I'm more of a Gi guy. I'd recommend anyone in Prague check out Jungle BJJ, didn't charge a 1 day mat fee for tourists,they were very chill, and the instruction when I was there was all in English.

Should've dropped by to visit us at fight zone London!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Watched green room last night. There's an open mat at my gym today and I sorta want to bring some of those washable markers and play "did you kimura the arm with the box cutter or had I already switched hands behind my back".

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Green Room is an excellent movie but I don’t know if I could watch it again because the violence is very realistic and nasty

Agreed, I saw it at the cinema and remember it being fantastic, and I do want to watch it again but I'm also hesitant because it's really grim.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I ordered the Don Johnaher Reapin' Legs Breakin' Hearts ultimate rashguard and this was the invoice I got in my package

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 8, 2020

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yuns posted:

I ordered the Don Johnaher Reapin' Legs Breakin' Hearts ultimate rashguard and this was the invoice I got in my package

I wonder what he's gonna do when he sees it

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yuns posted:

What are you waiting for

HunterDevourer
Mar 16, 2004
The Missing

Yuns posted:

...will John wear it?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I got choked out by a 15 year old at Blackhouse MMA open mat AMA

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yuns posted:

Maybe I missed it upthread, but is there an image of this rashguard? I want to see it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Count Roland posted:

Maybe I missed it upthread, but is there an image of this rashguard? I want to see it.
Hey you with the cool dick. Check out the ad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwc4z7EAcwO/

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yuns posted:

Hey you with the cool dick. Check out the ad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwc4z7EAcwO/

Yes that's quite the thing.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Got third in my third tournament yesterday, 2 wins/1 loss, feels good man

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

surivdaoreht posted:

Congrats!

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

surivdaoreht posted:

Nice.

I'm signed up to compete this coming Saturday but I've been feeling half hearted about it and not in a competitive headspace the past couple weeks. Been thinking of backing out and holding off til another time, and I've got a couple days to decide and keep a credit. Probably will decide after class tomorrow.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Where are you competing? There's a sub-only tournament near me the same day. I haven't committed to it but I'll probably sign up next week.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

ihop posted:

Where are you competing?

Grappling Industries Manhattan, not sub only in this case

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Decades posted:

I was also looking at that comp but ultimately didn’t sign up as I don’t feel like I’ve been stringing together enough consistent training the past few months sufficient to make it worth my while, and was instead keeping my eyes peeled for something in the summer.

I have looked at GI but they don’t have anything on the calendar now from May to themed of the year.

What other comps are there in / around the city that are public transport accessible?

Good Fight is almost always in the boondocks somewhere (next one is in St. James which is a 90 min drive each way and I don’t have a car), and I don’t do IBJJF comps so not sure if there are any other options.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Decades posted:

GI runs really good events. I was gonna do this one but wound up having Mother's Day weekend plans. I know some other guys from my gym are competing though.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

GI runs really good events.

butros posted:

What other comps are there in / around the city that are public transport accessible?

Yeah I've done GI a few times before, and that's the main thing is the location can't be beat. I've done a couple good fights way out by floyd bennet field but the recent ones have been even more isolated. One time GI put me on half an hour early with no notice and other times they've run pretty behind, but all in all pretty good.

I think big picture I'm just realizing that competition life isn't for me. I haven't even been doing anything crazy, just doing my usual stuff harder with a bit more frequency and consistency. But I'm finding ramping up training sucks the fun out of it for me and makes me a less pleasant person.

That said I think it might make sense to see this one through rather than wait to see whether I change my mind for a future date.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

GI runs really good events. I was gonna do this one but wound up having Mother's Day weekend plans. I know some other guys from my gym are competing though.

Do you do the points comps in addition to the OSO ones?

Decades posted:

I think big picture I'm just realizing that competition life isn't for me. I haven't even been doing anything crazy, just doing my usual stuff harder with a bit more frequency and consistency. But I'm finding ramping up training sucks the fun out of it for me and makes me a less pleasant person.

I don't have serious competition aspirations and my school isn't a comp focused school in the least but I do think it would be healthy for my development even as just a hobbyist to do a few competitions as a learning experience and a better barometer outside of how I'm doing against the guys in my gym.

Ideally I would hopefully be able to train consistently enough to where I wouldn't need to ramp up all that much to be able to compete maybe 2x per year, but not even sure what level that would be (4-5x per week?), and life is already conspiring making it hard enough to hit one comp. I'm just afraid if I don't at least get a few comps under my belt in the next year or so, I may just never end up doing it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

butros posted:

Do you do the points comps in addition to the OSO ones?

Yeah I'll do whatever, it depends way more on my schedule, if I'm feeling healthy and fit, etc. Points-based is a much better ruleset for me though.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

butros posted:

I don't have serious competition aspirations and my school isn't a comp focused school in the least but I do think it would be healthy for my development even as just a hobbyist to do a few competitions as a learning experience and a better barometer outside of how I'm doing against the guys in my gym.

If you've never tried it before and you're feeling curious at all then yeah, almost definitely worth giving it a shot I think.

butros posted:

Ideally I would hopefully be able to train consistently enough to where I wouldn't need to ramp up all that much to be able to compete maybe 2x per year, but not even sure what level that would be (4-5x per week?), and life is already conspiring making it hard enough to hit one comp. I'm just afraid if I don't at least get a few comps under my belt in the next year or so, I may just never end up doing it.

This has generally been my approach pretty much for the past few years. I've had moments of success, but competitively speaking mostly have lost to more dedicated guys, which I think is how this approach tends to go. There's not necessarily anything wrong with that.

At the time I was going to a small local school and so I did have that desire to test myself against the general population. These days though I mostly go to Yun's class and get totally handled about 4 rolls out of 5 with the fifth being somewhat competitive but still quite tough. Nothing necessarily wrong with that either, but it majorly undermines the need to test myself in tournaments.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I use competitions as a way to focus on the things I need work on as they otherwise might not manifest themselves in the gym during sparring or you just might not have an opportunity for those things to be exposed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

People make a way bigger deal out of competing than they need to. Even if you get your butt kicked, it's not like that doesn't happen all the time in normal training anyway.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Decades posted:

These days though I mostly go to Yun's class and get totally handled about 4 rolls out of 5 with the fifth being somewhat competitive but still quite tough. Nothing necessarily wrong with that either, but it majorly undermines the need to test myself in tournaments.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

People make a way bigger deal out of competing than they need to. Even if you get your butt kicked, it's not like that doesn't happen all the time in normal training anyway.

I am definitely curious, but this line of thought is what has me thinking why bother - I can get hard rolls at my gym if I want them, I get crushed by our purples and up so I know what getting crushed feels like, but I can also hold my own against a growing number of blues and can dominate whites. So I'm getting objectively better but at the same time in the grand scheme of grappling I'll never be anything special so why spend $75 and an entire Saturday to make that official?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

butros posted:

I am definitely curious, but this line of thought is what has me thinking why bother - I can get hard rolls at my gym if I want them, I get crushed by our purples and up so I know what getting crushed feels like, but I can also hold my own against a growing number of blues and can dominate whites. So I'm getting objectively better but at the same time in the grand scheme of grappling I'll never be anything special so why spend $75 and an entire Saturday to make that official?

It's good if you want to figure out some stuff and practice stuff that doesn't happen in usual rolls at your gym. Just the fact you both start from standing is something a lot of people aren't sensitive to. but it's also totally fine if you don't want to compete. The sport is kind of in a weird place where hobbyists and pro's are both in the same divisions and it can make it very unappealing to people that just want to have fun and spend a good afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

butros posted:

Because it's fun, because it feels awesome when you win and taking home medals for yourself and your gym is cool, and because you learn a ton about where your strenghts and weaknesses are from the competition experience. It's does wonders for motivating your to work on your game in a focused, thoughtful way.