Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I only use it for chemicals, and I never need so much of something that I bump against the weight limit.

:catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Also bought with this product:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bunnielab posted:

Yea, but when I was in my early 20's I would have jumped at that add. I did spend those years making sub 30k working for a series of tiny rear end theatres. I bet that IT job has a much lower chance of getting mangled by a table saw then my old gigs.

I firmly believe that one's 20's should be spend doing something cool that facilitates having a general awesome loving time. Retirement is wasted on the old.
If you're concluding that that gig will be an awesome loving time you must either be reading a different job posting than I am or you have a fetish for working with insufferable pricks.

I mean to be fair in your early 20s you probably wouldn't be the Renaissance Man they're asking for either. And nobody who answers the ad will be. Like the PA ad they'll get a bunch of wannabe douchebags who fancy themselves ultracompetent hardasses, which as it turns out is probably a perfect fit for the actual job rather than the airbrushed van fantasy version described in the ad.

When I see poo poo like that I assume it's because the owners have this vague notion that startups often involve a lot more work than the pay should involve, and think that startups are cool and dynamic, think they're cool and dynamic, and so figure they can get away with the same thing. Failing to realise, of course, that startups throw mad equity at workers, so if you're young and risk tolerant (like what you're remembering yourself in your 20s as) you can roll the dice. But it ain't like you're going to wake up to discover you're suddenly a faux indy beer or webcomic billionaire or some poo poo.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah, this job should be paying insanely more, especially in portland.

I'm likely relocating to Portland in January. I hope you're right.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

I'm likely relocating to Portland in January. I hope you're right.

He's right.

Also, whoa!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

Yea, but when I was in my early 20's I would have jumped at that add. I did spend those years making sub 30k working for a series of tiny rear end theatres. I bet that IT job has a much lower chance of getting mangled by a table saw then my old gigs.

this is basically what I meant when I got forums crucified~~~ :ssh:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Eh, in my personal experience doing entertainment/event stuff, the exact same work can be "worth" a completely different amount of money depending on the environment. poo poo, I still occasionally do stagehand gigs at places that pay less then half my normal rate just because they are easy, enjoyable places to work.
That certainly can be the case, but a contractor with said qualifications will know he can make at least double that price and that'll still be below normal rate. 50k for a job making sure the company doesn't sink is atrocious. The only reason someone in their early 20's would jump on it is to get experience or they're still wide-eyed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Or you wanna work somewhere where you can drink a beer at your desk and bone the hell out of your coworkers and not have anyone fuss much about it.

Not that I really believe that that specific job would entail such awesome things, but that sort of thing is out there. Money is awesome but working at a place that is truly an extension of your social life can be pretty damm amazing for a while.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Or you're broke/don't know any better.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So assuming I have largish second degree burns on my inner arm from 400 degree + chicken grease, is the general consensus to give them a few hours of air a day and keep changing the bandages? Or is air bad? The chefs I work with are telling me to pop the blisters, but I think they're small enough that it would only invite infection. I'm keeping up on the neosporin and bandage changing, any other burn times you guys have to share? Ideally I'd like this not to scar as I'm a very fancy princess.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

mindphlux posted:

It was hard to tell because what you said and what he said have nothing in common and are about different topics

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

So assuming I have largish second degree burns on my inner arm from 400 degree + chicken grease, is the general consensus to give them a few hours of air a day and keep changing the bandages? Or is air bad? The chefs I work with are telling me to pop the blisters, but I think they're small enough that it would only invite infection. I'm keeping up on the neosporin and bandage changing, any other burn times you guys have to share? Ideally I'd like this not to scar as I'm a very fancy princess.

Only pop the blisters if they're in a location where they're going to pop themselves inconveniently.

Until they're popped air doesn't matter either way, once they're popped air is best. Retain as much of the skin for as long as possible, I've had huge blisters weld themselves back down and save me from several days of new skin that's thin as poo poo and heat sensitive as all hell.

If it's really a 2nd degree burn you're gonna want analgesic stuff to rub on to numb it when the nerves start to grow back.

This is one of my grossest burns, was searing too many filets at once and compensating by over filing the cast iron skillets with oil (basically shallow frying them before roasting in oven), turning one and it slipped from the tongs and splashed boiling oil across my hand. I knew it was gonna be bad right away and filled a glove with burn gel and rubber banded it on my wrist, then put another glove over it. I was managing but spent the next 3 hours bailing out the hot line with one hand in a deep 6 of ice water.

Edit:my pic is a link to me but I've never used imgur.com mobile before. I just used regular img tags.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 5, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Just let the blisters be, they will break all by themselves and they are your bodies way of protecting you from infections. Just be glad the burn isn't all across your knuckles and fingers, that one was fun for me, ugh.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

There's a big difference between working in IT where there is real demand for people, and a service industry like food where people are basically commoditised units of labour.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Or you wanna work somewhere where you can drink a beer at your desk and bone the hell out of your coworkers and not have anyone fuss much about it.

Not that I really believe that that specific job would entail such awesome things, but that sort of thing is out there. Money is awesome but working at a place that is truly an extension of your social life can be pretty damm amazing for a while.
Unless you work for loving HP or something nobody will ever give a poo poo if the IT guys are drinking at their desks.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
You must have worked at much different places than I have.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah that would be a pretty big deal in the government contracting world.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah that would be a pretty big deal in the government contracting world.

It would be a big deal in any company above 50 employees.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Xoidanor posted:

It would be a big deal in any company above 50 employees.

It would be a big deal in any company of any size I know of that's not a software development company.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Kalista posted:

It would be a big deal in any company of any size I know of that's not a software development company.
A beer fridge in the break room is a commonplace in pretty much any kind of tech company, and it's becoming less unusual in other sectors as well.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kalista posted:

Eh, in any company too small to have a HR department it is up to owner preference. A lot of strange poo poo goes on in old small companies.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
We used to keep a bottle of grappa in one of the tool cabinets. The interns never could stand the stuff so it was safe.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
When I worked at an extremely small (4 person) company, the owner was cool with drinking but only if it was with a client - so I would actively encourage clients to bring a six-pack to their engagement.

I suppose that was a pretty good example of extremely boring work made fun by way of environment (and steady mild intoxication).

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

My old CEO kept a cabinet full of tequila in his office.

My new CEO owns a tequila restaurant.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My old boss used to smoke weed all the time. That's the film biz for ya.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
The owner of the isp I worked at 15 years ago once wheeled a keg into the office at noon. He told everyone to log out of the phones and said we were closed.

I once found him in his office naked and passed out on the floor at 7am.

He used to roll a bottle of vodka between his office and the office managers office.

Danes can drink.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

Unless you work for loving HP or something nobody will ever give a poo poo if the IT guys are drinking at their desks.

haha ironically I hired a kid to help me out last year (IT work), and we... parted ways after I found him drinking at his desk.

it didn't help that I was basically paying him to do absolutely nothing, and I was coming by to ask why a two week old ticket was sitting untouched in a queue, but...

antisodachrist posted:

The owner of the isp I worked at 15 years ago once wheeled a keg into the office at noon. He told everyone to log out of the phones and said we were closed.

I once found him in his office naked and passed out on the floor at 7am.

poo poo yeah that how we roll boy :hellyeah:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I don't need to drink at work. I just want people to not think I am some sort of villain for having 1 Beer at lunch before going back to work.

E: not a surgeon or machine operator.

E2: am I paranoid or has serious eats mobile page become non functional on iOS because every page forces the App Store to open.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 5, 2015

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just be glad the burn isn't all across your knuckles and fingers, that one was fun for me, ugh.

Or on your ankle. The month or so that burn took to heal was rough. That ointment with silver or whatever in it is brilliant, though it didn't prevent scarring.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dimloep posted:

Or on your ankle. The month or so that burn took to heal was rough. That ointment with silver or whatever in it is brilliant, though it didn't prevent scarring.

Yeah, any place where the skin needs to do lots of stretching regularly or that has a ton of nerves or both(like fingers :suicide:) is super awful.

One time I was removing pans from one of those huge layered ovens when I somehow had one at head level slide right into my lower lip, I got it off super fast and ran to one of the big sinks to stick my face under the faucet but it still hurt like a motherfucker until it healed like a week or so later.

BTW, while I have never actually worked in the industry I did take the food service elective for four years in high school which included an unpaid two week internship at a small local restaurant, this warded me off from ever going into the industry. The teacher was this craggy old lady who had worked in the industry for decades and told us to stay the hell away from the industry unless we were insane, desperate or could land a cushy job like teaching at a culinary school or a high school like her.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I got a tourniquet burn on my wrist once, not fun times. But then my doctor gave me 180 vicodin and man, fun times were had.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I have matching scars right below both elbows from hitting the top rim of the oven taking out pans while drunk cooking on two separate occasions.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

I have matching scars right below both elbows from hitting the top rim of the oven taking out pans while drunk cooking on two separate occasions.

Step left, drink more tequila, and go for the black flag logo.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Dimloep posted:

Yeah, I'm super glad I got it where I did, and its healing really well. I'm sad to hear the ointment didn't prevent scarring, but I think with as deep as this is there's not much that would. On the bonus side, it looks like a kickass fireball.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bloody ghost titty posted:

Step left, drink more tequila, and go for the black flag logo.

I would honestly consider that if I weren't working on two 3/4 sleeve tattoos.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Drink and Fight posted:

I would honestly consider that if I weren't working on two 3/4 sleeve tattoos.

Uhhhh the math on that clearly allows for a half sleeve of ink.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I spent this weekend at a cabin in the mountains near Asheville, NC with my woman to celebrate our anniversary. The proprietors of our particular cabin left us a nice little welcoming basket with a loaf of fresh baked bread, four farm-fresh eggs (they have a chicken coop), and some homemade jam and granola. We had it for breakfast on Saturday and it was delicious. After an awesome day of hiking at Max Patch Bald, we went into town for dinner and a drink.

We were feeling tapas-y but she didn't feel like Spanish food, so we ended up at a place called Table. They seemed pretty booked but the hostess said that without a reservation she could sneak us in in about a half hour, so we went upstairs to their attached cocktail/charcuterie place called The Imperial Life. While we waited we had a drink and a charcuterie board, with some excellent coppa and a young swiss that was less mild than I expected, and completely delicious.

For our dinner we had four app plates in the spirit of tapas, and everything was wonder. We got the best beet salad I've ever had, that came with frisee. Grilled octopus was off the chain. It was sliced lengthwise and was all delicous, especially the charred part on the outside piece. It was served on farro and some crunchy bits with brown sugar - different, but excellent. Next came our scallop crudo, with pickled strawberries, creme fraiche, and a citrus-coconut sauce. Very good but a bit messy to eat. Last was braised beef cheek with some sort of grain, maybe quinoa. It came in two big ol' hunks and was incredibly rich and delicious.

Afterwards we went out for a drink at a place I can't even remember the name of but I got some fresh snickerdoodle cookies, nice and warm and cinnamon-y. The following day we had brunch at Laughing Seed Cafe, a vegetarian restaurant. Their tempeh "bacon" was terrible (it tasted like a maple-flavored rice cake) but their seitan "sausage" was the best fake meat sausage I've ever had. VERY heavy on the black pepper, it was so good and I was so sad I only got a piece of it. Competently cooked scrambled eggs and a too-tough biscuit with mushroom gravy (the gravy was decent), led to our only food miss of the weekend. It wasn't BAD, but nothing like our dinner the night before.

Then last night I had a stromboli. I probably gained five pounds this weekend but it was totally worth it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I spent this weekend at a cabin in the mountains near Asheville, NC with my woman to celebrate our anniversary. The proprietors of our particular cabin

That sounds great. My girl and I have a friend in Asheville that we really want to visit and we are looking to take a vacation in July. Which cabin did you stay in?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bunnielab posted:

That sounds great. My girl and I have a friend in Asheville that we really want to visit and we are looking to take a vacation in July. Which cabin did you stay in?

We stayed in the Mamma Bear cabin. It was absolutely wonderful. We checked in before the couples who stayed in the other cabins, so we checked them out as well and you really can't go wrong with any of them. The only downside to the entire weekend was that the people staying in the Baby Bear cabin, directly in front of us, never turned off their back porch light despite never being out there, so it negatively impacted our stargazing a little bit. A very, very little bit - it's so clear and dark out there otherwise that you can see sooooooooo many stars.

EDIT: Also, check LivingSocial. I got a deal on there for $202 for a Friday night through Sunday morning stay...well worth it. Your choice of cabin, too (assuming they're not already booked for your target weekend)!

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you're eating in Asheville, I loving love Curate. run by some proteges of jose andreas iirc. very well executed tapas, which you wouldn't expect in the area. Better than anything in Atlanta, anyways.

also some great B&B type places, and have had good luck with Airbnb.

don't miss the belgian beer place, thirsty monk I think it was called? we've drank a ton of other places while up there, but that place holds its own.