Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Guy Mann posted:

Video game movement control in 1996:

Video game movement control in 2016:

To be fair Metal Gear Solid does and still does use analog sensitivity but having to keep your joystick only half pushed the entire time can get exhausting. There's a reason we usually just push full bore on a joystick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

Video game movement control in 1996:

Video game movement control in 2016:

I really, really hate sneak toggles. A lot of games I've been playing that feature stealth attacks and poo poo, like warframe, are set up in such a way that unless you play a character or have skills that turn invisible then even if you're slowly walking behind an enemy you're still going to get automatically detected because the AI Doesn't give a poo poo about how quiet you're actually walking. Just whether or not you're in stealth. Shooting dudes with a silenced gun? Still detected. Toggle on that stealth mode? Have fun shooting dudes with the loudest shotgun you have, no one will find you. It's the skyrim approach to stealth where you can crouch in front of someone in broad daylight and smack them with your sword and they'll just walk around wondering if they're hearing things. But slowly walk up behind them and they'll just know you're there.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I mean, if my character puts a bullet in an enemy NPC's head while his back is turned, that should probably count as a sneak attack regardless of whether I'm crouching or not at the time.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You will never be able to play as a Cactaur in a final fantasy game and that's bullshit

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

spit on my clit posted:

You will never be able to play as a Cactaur in a final fantasy game and that's bullshit

You could play Mario Hoops 3 on 3 I guess. (I can't vouch for the quality of this game)

Gitro
May 29, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

It's darkly funny that they are introducing a new IAP currency to replace watching ads because ads on a browser aren't stable.

And while I hope it's fixed in the special edition, the hotkey function in Skyrim pissed me off whenever I tried to duel wield the same weapon. Let's say I was using two swords (hotkey 1), and hotkey'd a spell (hotkey 2) on one hand. Pressing 1 twice wouldn't tell the game to equip both hotkey-1 swords, it'd unequip and reequip one sword.

SkyUI is a fantastic add-on for the game that gives you customisable equipment groups. You get 8 hotkeys in addition to the base game's that do whole equipment groups, like both hands, a power and every body slot if you want. It's great. I hope (probably in vain) the legendary edition doesn't break all the mods, because there's no way in gently caress I'm going back to the vanilla game and id like to finish dragonborn at some point.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

spooky like this! posted:

Didn't one of the PC Splinter Cell games have a thing where you controlled how fast you walked with the scroll wheel?

Yes, Pandora Tomorrow had like 8 different movement speeds you switched between that way. It was a decent replacement for an analog stick, which simply determined how fast you walked by how far you where moving the stick in a direction.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
My peeve at the moment - just started playing the Black Mirror series, which had got some decent reviews as spooky traditional-style adventure games.
Got a few hours into the first one, and during one scene the main character - who has up to this point refused to do anything slightly dangerous or touch anything nasty - responds to my telling him to go and investigate an electical cable by running over and grabbing it with his bare hands.

Boom, game over! No restarting at a recent checkpoint or autosave - nope, chucked out to the main menu to reload a manual save game. Where I find out that my last save was over an hour ago, before some tedious conversations and puzzles.

gently caress you, game developers who think that putting instadeath into a modern point and click adventure game is a good idea!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nuebot posted:

I really, really hate sneak toggles. A lot of games I've been playing that feature stealth attacks and poo poo, like warframe, are set up in such a way that unless you play a character or have skills that turn invisible then even if you're slowly walking behind an enemy you're still going to get automatically detected because the AI Doesn't give a poo poo about how quiet you're actually walking. Just whether or not you're in stealth. Shooting dudes with a silenced gun? Still detected. Toggle on that stealth mode? Have fun shooting dudes with the loudest shotgun you have, no one will find you. It's the skyrim approach to stealth where you can crouch in front of someone in broad daylight and smack them with your sword and they'll just walk around wondering if they're hearing things. But slowly walk up behind them and they'll just know you're there.

Something I really appreciate about the old Thief games, stealth wasn't a binary sneaking/not sneaking based off of whether or not you were on your knees. It was a lot more subtle with the light level, intrinsic noisiness of the terrain, speed at which you were moving, stance, and whether or not you were holding out your weapon all playing a role in how noticeable you were. And none of those things were totally black and white, you could be in a dimly lit area on a slightly noisy stone floor and the enemies would suspect they you were there but weren't fully sure and would wander over to inspect the place. There were so many great little touches and systems in that game that really should have seen more life in other game's stealth systems, especially these days when everything seems to have optional, but boringly shallow stealth to make use of.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Pseudohog posted:

My peeve at the moment - just started playing the Black Mirror series, which had got some decent reviews as spooky traditional-style adventure games.
Got a few hours into the first one, and during one scene the main character - who has up to this point refused to do anything slightly dangerous or touch anything nasty - responds to my telling him to go and investigate an electical cable by running over and grabbing it with his bare hands.

Boom, game over! No restarting at a recent checkpoint or autosave - nope, chucked out to the main menu to reload a manual save game. Where I find out that my last save was over an hour ago, before some tedious conversations and puzzles.

gently caress you, game developers who think that putting instadeath into a modern point and click adventure game is a good idea!

Hahaha yea that poo poo got me too when I played that game over a year ago, the sequels are much more forgiving on that aspect at least in that they autosave whenever you enter a room with something that can kill you

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

oh yeah another thing about broforce i hate, which made me stop playing was when it introduced the aliens! gently caress that, it's not worth playing past that point.

Really?

I mean some of the bosses' attacks in that section were bad if you didn't dodge but the enemies were fine I thought.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gitro posted:

SkyUI is a fantastic add-on for the game that gives you customisable equipment groups.

I've tried multiple times to make myself like (or even just accept) SkyUI, and it's never took.

Then again, I don't think any "I know how to make a better UI than the developers" mod has worked for me. I look at people's screenshots in WoW and I can't figure out how people get any info from their UI.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MisterBibs posted:

I've tried multiple times to make myself like (or even just accept) SkyUI, and it's never took.

Then again, I don't think any "I know how to make a better UI than the developers" mod has worked for me. I look at people's screenshots in WoW and I can't figure out how people get any info from their UI.

It can often depend on what the UI's trying to do. When I played TF2 I used FrankenHUD, because while it doesn't display things as clearly as the default UI does, it's far better at getting out of your way while providing information you need when you have the better game sense to know what you're looking for. I can't speak for WoW UI mods, but it's probably similar.

SkyUI goes the other way, in that the original Skyrim UI was pretty much just hot garbage at presenting information in a useful way, especially when it came to looking at the specifics of more than one item (and of course it's a Bethesda game, so you're probably hoarding). SkyUI solved that by basically just porting over Oblivion's UI, which works great for Bethesda games because it displays a bunch of information very comparatively.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

All the Splinter Cell games are on a big sale right now and I thought about getting them, until I remembered they pretty much all have really rough port jobs done on them. The mouse wheel sneak sensitivity, crashing really often, I think Conviction requiring lovely uplay and another launcher you actually have to download separate. Also even if you have a controller, apparently they're janky to get working with those at all as well since they didn't come with any default controller kinda recognition or something. I loved those games but dammit, not gonna deal with all that headache.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Tardcore posted:

Hahaha yea that poo poo got me too when I played that game over a year ago, the sequels are much more forgiving on that aspect at least in that they autosave whenever you enter a room with something that can kill you

I'm saving before the stupidest things now :( An old tome? Better save before I read it in case it's going to send me insane or something...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The quality of most of the voice acting in 100 ft Robot Golf is awful. And not in a "this is a parody of bad 80s anime dubs" way but in a "literally phoned in by wannabe YouTube celebrities who weren't allowed to raise their voice too much because it would piss off their roommate" way.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Witcher 3 looks absolutely gorgeous but it comes at a high price- the menus are laggy and the loading times when you die are insane. I turned down the difficulty from Hard to Medium because I just can't stomach sitting through 30+ seconds of loading every time I die.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

2house2fly posted:

Witcher 3 looks absolutely gorgeous but it comes at a high price- the menus are laggy and the loading times when you die are insane. I turned down the difficulty from Hard to Medium because I just can't stomach sitting through 30+ seconds of loading every time I die.

On a console version? Cause the loading hasn't been that bad for me on PC, not even running some fancy mega computer either.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guy Mann posted:

The quality of most of the voice acting in 100 ft Robot Golf is awful. And not in a "this is a parody of bad 80s anime dubs" way but in a "literally phoned in by wannabe YouTube celebrities who weren't allowed to raise their voice too much because it would piss off their roommate" way.

Theyre all terrible
Yup
Deathly so.

are they in on it i dont know if theyre in on it

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I picked up the Warriors on PS4 on a recent sale. 10 years of refinement on 3rd person games really shows. You constantly have the camera control stolen from you and what's most frustrating is that it happens without you touching the right stick. It's dark as poo poo and it's possible to get dogpiled and loose control for 10 seconds at a time. It has that earlier GTA game AI where NPCs run in kamikaze style. It also suffers from the problem that triangle does all the jumping, talking and item interaction. So you're always jumping around or dropping your weapon instead of talking to NPCs.

I love the movie though and it's quite balanced despite all that, so I'm going to finish it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Doom 4 and I've played many hours of it but I have never gotten over how limp and weak the guns feel. All of the non-explosive weapons have like no bass to them. The shotgun is especially bad, it fires really slowly and is almost completely useless against anything that isn't an Imp or an Undead Soldier. It's a shame, because I enjoy the game quite a bit, but the enemies don't even react to being shot half the time and it's annoying.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

CJacobs posted:

I like Doom 4 and I've played many hours of it but I have never gotten over how limp and weak the guns feel. All of the non-explosive weapons have like no bass to them. The shotgun is especially bad, it fires really slowly and is almost completely useless against anything that isn't an Imp or an Undead Soldier. It's a shame, because I enjoy the game quite a bit, but the enemies don't even react to being shot half the time and it's annoying.

It just exists so you can attach the "Turn shotgun into grenade launcher" mod into it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is true, but I wish it at least had a satisfying firing sound. Also, it's pretty hard to see enemies at a distance. Several times I've been standing around looking in all directions after an arena fight, squinting trying to find the one Imp who survived and is now standing on the edge of the arena against the background that is the same color as it is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

The plasma gun got hit especially hard. Compare it's 2016 incarnation to the one from the original games and it's absolutely pathetic. Every energy carbine in an FPS over the past decade has to have an anemic "pewpewpew" affect.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

WickedHate posted:

The plasma gun got hit especially hard. Compare it's 2016 incarnation to the one from the original games and it's absolutely pathetic. Every energy carbine in an FPS over the past decade has to have an anemic "pewpewpew" affect.

Not disagreeing these weapons are bad, both the shotgun and plasma gun are wet farts for weapons but the later Railgun and mod that turns it into "Railgun Artillery" more than makes up for it. If you have yet to get it take my advice, the sniper scope mod for it is really good, but the other one is infinitely better in every way.

The grenades were a little unsatisfying too, they make a small "phut" and zombies fall apart embarrassingly.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

but you're not supposed to raise your voice during golf

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Doom's Plasma Rifle sucks because they slotted it, thematically, as a gun you get early that does poo poo damage, instead of the reliably strong later-game workhorse it generally was in previous games.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I have two.

My Summer Car. You can't pause. It's a good game but you can't pause so I can't play it. Going to options and alt-tabbing do nothing, the game keeps running. You have to eat, drink and sleep too so I can't just leave it running if I have to come away unexpectedly. You also have to go to a toilet to save so I can't just save and quit. I know it's Early Access and janky, but no pause function and no quicksave? Come on.

My Witcher 3 mod which lets me see all my quests on the map at once broke today so I'm back with the default map with only your active quest and it's painful. Just let me see what's nearby.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Oct 31, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You get the Plasma Rifle on the same level as the Heavy AR, which is another automatic weapon that sounds better and is stronger and has the goddamn mini-rocket attachment.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Guacamelee: PSNow edition
The thing dragging it down is that it's on PSNow. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have the chance to play it, but this is really, REALLY not a game where you can afford that kind of lag. It's great when it runs smoothly, but I'm not waking up at 4 AM so I can perform the combo chicken's requests to his satisfaction.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So someone gave me layers of fear to play during Halloween. It's apparently spooky. As soon as the game starts you're given a choice of going upstairs or downstairs into the basement. I went down and was promptly locked into a room with a oujia board and given zero context or clues on what to do or how to solve this puzzle. Presumably it was something I needed to go upstairs first to do but hey, can't do that now since I'd have to restart the whole game and your character walks slower than a roomba.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

That's all true, but on the other hand, that's what the mods are for. Explosive Shot for the shotgun and Micro Missiles for the assault rifle are pretty effective at looking and feeling like they pack a punch.
Without mods and the BFG the later levels would be nigh-impossible, anyway (to me at least). Several times I had to use the BFG as a get out of jail card.

To get back to your original complaint, I do wish there was more of a visual cue for weapon damage. In the original Doom, monsters would flinch and/or grunt if you shot them, or at least there would be little specks of blood flying even with the higher-tier monsters. It didn't really slow them down unless you were using the chaingun, but it was a good way to make the combat feel more visceral. The new Doom kind of lacks that, and in many cases you're just wailing on them until they seemingly randomly die.

e: and unrelatedly, yes, almost everything in this game is orange, which means most monsters are camouflaged

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Nov 2, 2016

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

There is a point behind shotgun and plasma rifle being weak though in that those challenges that unlock armor and ability upgrades often require certain kill moves performed, the weaker guns will absolutely easily return a rare foe back to vulnerable mode without killing them where as rocket launchering that poor imp when you meant to break off a leg and feed it to them could spell a failed challenge.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Damage crunch isn't the problem, it's the feedback, visual and audio fluff, being wimpy.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

WickedHate posted:

Damage crunch isn't the problem, it's the feedback, visual and audio fluff, being wimpy.

Energy balls are always gonna be a bit shite in a game that brutally physical, though. Once you've pushed an imp's entire guts out of his stomach through its spine with your own hands, energy balls feel really... ephemeral. Even the BFG felt a bit magic bullshit, without being quite magic bullshit enough. They front-load a lot of their impact with a big shiny particle bullshit thing, so the effect on the target is somewhat diminished, because it has so much to live up to. The railgun gets a pass but that's because it rips entire bodies apart just by passing nearby, and it's gone so fast you never get a good look at it or its hitflash.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Was not to disagree with you, a lot of the weapons until you get the fun stuff are a wet fart, there is just a reason for it being a wet fart with some of it on a mechanical level. But somewhere along the line we did get off track with our plasma balls, unreal tournament's shock combo just blew people into chunks, we need meatier, flesh cookier, body shreadier plasma. Vote Doomguy 2020.

For an actual thing dragging a thing down, got back into The Secret World of recent, it is fun as hell, I enjoy how unrepentantly weird some of the investigation missions are. (Decoding actual hieroglyphs quest imma lookin at you.) but the world events can be painful, even cranking some settings down there is just something about the game my GPU is having none of and once a world boss is engaged there's a certain threshold where everyone there is at 3fps. Least they did not make any of the Halloween bosses have wildly sporadic AoE's just pick a spot, enjoy your slideshow and grab a loot bag at the exit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Feonir posted:

Was not to disagree with you, a lot of the weapons until you get the fun stuff are a wet fart, there is just a reason for it being a wet fart with some of it on a mechanical level. But somewhere along the line we did get off track with our plasma balls, unreal tournament's shock combo just blew people into chunks, we need meatier, flesh cookier, body shreadier plasma. Vote Doomguy 2020.

For an actual thing dragging a thing down, got back into The Secret World of recent, it is fun as hell, I enjoy how unrepentantly weird some of the investigation missions are. (Decoding actual hieroglyphs quest imma lookin at you.) but the world events can be painful, even cranking some settings down there is just something about the game my GPU is having none of and once a world boss is engaged there's a certain threshold where everyone there is at 3fps. Least they did not make any of the Halloween bosses have wildly sporadic AoE's just pick a spot, enjoy your slideshow and grab a loot bag at the exit.

The trick to those bosses is to shoot them once then run around the zone doing side missions. You get your goody bag and don't have to deal with that shitshow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Somfin posted:

Energy balls are always gonna be a bit shite in a game that brutally physical, though. Once you've pushed an imp's entire guts out of his stomach through its spine with your own hands, energy balls feel really... ephemeral. Even the BFG felt a bit magic bullshit, without being quite magic bullshit enough. They front-load a lot of their impact with a big shiny particle bullshit thing, so the effect on the target is somewhat diminished, because it has so much to live up to. The railgun gets a pass but that's because it rips entire bodies apart just by passing nearby, and it's gone so fast you never get a good look at it or its hitflash.

The railgun's siege mode is super satisfying to use compared to the BFG too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

The original Doom did it fine, although I guess that could be a case of less is more. I lament the switch from beautiful sprites to memory intensive and often ugly 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I liked the plasma beam from Metroid Prime though. It felt pretty badass to use because it loving turned common enemies into ash and disintegrated them when you used it on them. Made it feel really powerful since it was a late-game weapon.